What is the point of jittering around like a Meth-addled crazy person?

jenlen

So, I see this occasionally from melee players, i.e. Marauders, Sentinels, Juggs, occasionally Sins too.

They jitter wildly in place just vibrating, kind of. It looks silly and, more to the point, what, exactly, are they trying to accomplish by doing this? Is this supposed to disorient me? Make my DoTs somehow miss them? (they don't miss, LOL)

Do they think a moving target will be harder to hit? (It isn't for me, as long as I have them focused)

Just curious as to the reason they do this. A lot of wasted keypresses, at the very least, to accomplish nothing.

:eek::p:o

So, I see this occasionally from melee players, i.e. Marauders, Sentinels, Juggs, occasionally Sins too.

They jitter wildly in place just vibrating, kind of. It looks silly and, more to the point, what, exactly, are they trying to accomplish by doing this? Is this supposed to disorient me? Make my DoTs somehow miss them? (they don't miss, LOL)

Do they think a moving target will be harder to hit? (It isn't for me, as long as I have them focused)

Just curious as to the reason they do this. A lot of wasted keypresses, at the very least, to accomplish nothing.

Every now and then you have those ADD types spam the left and right strafe keys like idiots and they think it makes them good players only to see them middle of the pack on the dmg charts with trash dps. The real reason for doing something like this is that you can sometimes make your opponent miss out on an attack thus allowing you to hit them more than they hit you. The better way of doing this is to move through the opponent while spinning. If the player you're facing is a keyboard turner or even a mouselook player with slow reaction that tunnels their ability bars then you're going to destroy him/her. Ultimately you don't want to stand there while trading attacks, you want to make them work for it too.

As for hitting healers that are standing in one spot self healing, there is zero benefit to doing this. Zero

Edited by Kurfer

As someone who plays melee, its advantageous. The goal is always to get behind the target, as you can possibly avoid damage. You moving forces the enemy to move, which is an easy way to exploit inexperienced players. On top of that, obviously atking a moving target is harder, especially for melee opponents.

To be fair though, it is more of a melee, anti melee tactic. If you are playing ranged it will be a kite, catch-up game. I would still try to get behind the opponents as much as possible.

For the record, it does not require any additional button pressing. If you are in a WZ doing anything that is not cast based and not moving you are doing something seriously wrong.

if you dance in and out of the 4m zone against a melee, or keep maul/backstab from being used when fighting sins and operatives (and their mirror).

Against ranged classes or healers, its not really useful, just makes you look like an hamster on crack, but at one point it becomes a reflex to move around like that. On the previously mentionned sin and operatives, it makes it harder for someone to correctly counter your maul/backstab with the same tactic I guess.

... but at one point it becomes a reflex to move around like that.

So true. I see myself moving around with a ranged DPS even if I am not targeted or only getting attacked by other ranges just because its a reflex. And I think its much better to move around with both ranged and melee eventhough its unnecessary than risk to stand still with a melee ever.

As someone said before: If you are not moving while using abilities that are not channeled or can be channeled by using you are basically doing something wrong.

Rather risk to look stupid than forget moving when necessary.

Edited by Bobby_McDonald

Well depends on point of view and play style I guess. If your a mouse clicker ever try and click on someone hoping around? It's a huge pain and hence the reason why its done. Now it could be just me but when I am on the ground and flanking I tend to get the "must be behind target" yet when i jump it lands, go figure maybe because when you jump it moves a bit closer don't really care to speculate Don't know don't care it works. While I have had days where I'm in middle of score board in DPS upon closer inspection one might notice the team was comprised of Mara, merc's and snipers though I am usually in top DPS for sins. Also depends on what your role is don't get much DPS while guarding a node. The other argument is you get into peoples heads I even manage to piss off one darkness sin so badly he went out of his way to pull me and knock me off the bridges on the Oddesson map twice. While I did manage to reciprocate and knocked him off when a convenient opportunity occurred the fact was I got in his head and pissed him off so much because he couldn't target me he went out of his way to focus me and knock me off the bridge instead of guarding his team mates and focus on objectives. that in and of it's self is reason to do it!

Now while your particular profession a dot monkey may not have issues landing blows, with all do respect your not the only profession out there. Most Professions have some sort of facing they must adhere to I.e must be facing your target or be behind your target by constantly moving around it's possible to force your opponent into a situation where he doesn't have facing while you do. Do this enough your landing the majority of blow while your opponent is unable to. I do this with Jugs slow kite and try and hit and run from sides. Does it work against those that really know how to play a jug not so much fight usually ends albeit a close match a win for the jug. However, against clickers and people that are new works very well.

Edited by Kazz_Devlin

Thanks for the helpful and insightful answers. I was just curious.

And for the record, if you TAB around to your preferred target (as a Ranged), all the hopping and jumping in the world will not stop the game from selecting you as my target. It also won't stop any of my attacks, whether I am on Sorc, Merc, Sniper, or whatever. So, enjoy, I guess? LOL.

Also, it doesn't bother me or make me mad to see people do that. It is much more of a "Why on earth are you doing that?" moment. Think about Indiana Jones in this scene, if you want my honest thoughts on it!

And for the record, if you TAB around to your preferred target (as a Ranged), all the hopping and jumping in the world will not stop the game from selecting you as my target. It also won't stop any of my attacks, whether I am on Sorc, Merc, Sniper, or whatever. So, enjoy, I guess? LOL.

Also, it doesn't bother me or make me mad to see people do that. It is much more of a "Why on earth are you doing that?" moment. Think about Indiana Jones in this scene, if you want my honest thoughts on it!

key part of statement "IF YOU TAB"

I beg to differ a bit here. You may have me targeted but if i'm enough off to the side your facing is incorrect and you will get the "you must be facing your target" or "you must be behind your target" just be cause you have me targeted does not guarantee you will land the ability. It is one reason I would love to have an ability that slowed our targets turning give me that and mercs and snipers can stay op i wouldn't care.

Edited by Kazz_Devlin

I know what you are talking about and it is loltastic. But that being said, constantly moving around is paramount for healers/non sniper ranged.

As a healer 90% of the DPS that try and focus me give up because I make them jump over obstacles, and I use phase liberally (not just when I'm in trouble) to make them have to reconnect. I have 1000 grenades which I use on cooldown, insta WW or knockback root and stun with the -10 sec cooldown util.

I try and make the statement through my playstyle: If you are going to focus me you'll have lower numbers this match. That takes care of 90% of the bad guys. The other 10% are good players and therefore also hit hard and I need to call for peels/be guarded/eventually die.

So the back and forth thing may not be necessary, but hyperactive movement and non linear kiting is a great way to stay alive.

Edited by Wimbleton

Somehow I have the feeling that you do get at least a bit annoyed :-P And even if you don't, some people will. If you are using keybinds, then "jittering around" has no effect on your own DPS. It will only effect others by either annoying them (some people go wild then and start to play stupid) or by dodging keyboard turners and clickers.

I once soloed a decent operative once on my sin while even backpaddling and he got so annoyed by that, that he started to insult me in chat instead of playing. We won and he was probably the only one who could have taken out our defender.

But instead of trying he cared much more about my useless moving :D

Edited by Bobby_McDonald

As someone who plays melee, its advantageous. The goal is always to get behind the target, as you can possibly avoid damage. You moving forces the enemy to move, which is an easy way to exploit inexperienced players. On top of that, obviously atking a moving target is harder, especially for melee opponents.

To be fair though, it is more of a melee, anti melee tactic. If you are playing ranged it will be a kite, catch-up game. I would still try to get behind the opponents as much as possible.

For the record, it does not require any additional button pressing. If you are in a WZ doing anything that is not cast based and not moving you are doing something seriously wrong.

Pretty much that ^^ ..With this to add for the OP...

Most keybinders and even some clickers don't stop moving, period, and we don't even know what a back button is. So for us to stay on target or get behind people we will go side to side or around people without ever stopping, especially now that all melee abilities can be used on the move.

Most good melee players are the ones you see zipping around or all over the target. The ones you see stopping or moving backwards (back peddling) and forwards, are mediocre players at best.

My advice to any pvper who doesn't do this already, wether they keybind or click, is to disable the back button or what ever setup you have for moving backwards. There is zero reason to ever use the back button in pvp..

"Thanks for the helpful and insightful answers. I was just curious.

And for the record, if you TAB around to your preferred target (as a Ranged), all the hopping and jumping in the world will not stop the game from selecting you as my target. It also won't stop any of my attacks, whether I am on Sorc, Merc, Sniper, or whatever. So, enjoy, I guess? LOL. "

Also, it doesn't bother me or make me mad to see people do that. It is much more of a "Why on earth are you doing that?"

I cant count how many knockbacks i have dodged from sorcs/sins by moving around them, if you have me targeted enjoy knocking me back when im behind/to the side of you. LUL..

Edited by nellolello

One can also bind the "Target Nearest Enemy" function to a key. Helps if you're a ranged DPS and a melee attacker is on to you while you're targeting a distant opponent.

There literally is no reasoning to it. It is stupid. Going through your opponent is one thing, or kiting, but just zig zagging back and forth is.....dumb.

Does it have any negative consequences? It annoyes players and thats the point of it. And sometimes it looks good.

E.g the new deception-Sin-abilty combined with jumping looks and feels awesome.

When casting Boltstorm strafe right and left very quickly and the animation starts to look really interesting. If I do that it means that I am really bored though.

I also know some Juggs who are always jumping just for fun. Sometimes it fits the animations of their ability. But mostly it just makes enemies go mad. Also some say that they just have the reflex to jump around all the time so that their position gets updated faster if they actually need to move out of stupid.

Again the purpose is mostly to annoy others. This is not stupid because they do not lose dps or anything doing that.

My strong advice is to ignore it so it doesn't work as intended.

There literally is no reasoning to it. It is stupid. Going through your opponent is one thing, or kiting, but just zig zagging back and forth is.....dumb.

What I find stupid are the kangaroos who are constantly jumping even when going in a straight line. I can understand clickers jumping to do a quick turn to to get on a target behind them, but those people who jump constantly are mental.

I've heard the argument about hits missing them, but that's complete rubbish in this game. If anything it is detrimental because it can interrupt some abilities.

I even see stupid snipers doing it and I just can't stop laughing. Sometimes I have to wonder if they are running a macro that has jump built in.

I know what you are talking about and it is loltastic. But that being said, constantly moving around is paramount for healers/non sniper ranged.

As a healer 90% of the DPS that try and focus me give up because I make them jump over obstacles, and I use phase liberally (not just when I'm in trouble) to make them have to reconnect. I have 1000 grenades which I use on cooldown, insta WW or knockback root and stun with the -10 sec cooldown util.

I try and make the statement through my playstyle: If you are going to focus me you'll have lower numbers this match. That takes care of 90% of the bad guys. The other 10% are good players and therefore also hit hard and I need to call for peels/be guarded/eventually die.

So the back and forth thing may not be necessary, but hyperactive movement and non linear kiting is a great way to stay alive.

yah, but this is really full on kiting. What is described in this thread is mostly seen used by melee classes in the 3-5m range (and if you are kiting something as a melee, you are doing it wrong :p)

yah, but this is really full on kiting. What is described in this thread is mostly seen used by melee classes in the 3-5m range (and if you are kiting something as a melee, you are doing it wrong :p)

As a sin going against jugs it works slow volatic slash, low slash, maul, reaping strike, slow, etc etc

As a sin going against jugs it works slow volatic slash, low slash, maul, reaping strike, slow, etc etc

unless you got hand of darkness utility not much use into low slashing a jug 1vs1, unless its trying to get away or popped a defensive. thats just giving it free resolve.

Its a great 2vs1 tool or to make healers REALLY work to keep their team alive tough.

Pretty much that ^^ ..With this to add for the OP...

Most keybinders and even some clickers don't stop moving, period, and we don't even know what a back button is. So for us to stay on target or get behind people we will go side to side or around people without ever stopping, especially now that all melee abilities can be used on the move.

Most good melee players are the ones you see zipping around or all over the target. The ones you see stopping or moving backwards (back peddling) and forwards, are mediocre players at best.

My advice to any pvper who doesn't do this already, wether they keybind or click, is to disable the back button or what ever setup you have for moving backwards. There is zero reason to ever use the back button in pvp..

Lol, I am that mediocre player. I use my strife keys but I don't have it set up where I can just whiz around like that - nor am I a clicker.

My screen moving around like that just makes me dizzy.

I recognize I will never be the best player for this, and fine with it. The point is made - there is an advantageous point to it. It is meant to disorient (and it works on me) and make it harder for you to focus your hits.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.