The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Galactic Command isn't that bad and i'm enjoying it

fushnchips

Like many things inside MMOs.... how you approach it can have a big effect as to how well it works for you, and it's impact upon your play and enjoyment.

If you insist on mega-grinding it for gear..and insisting that it is the only pathway to gear advancement in game, you are very likely going to create a lot of frustration and disappointment doing so.

If you take it at face value, warts and all, understand that it is not the only way to progress your gear in 5.0, and take it in stride as you go.... it's actual impact on your enjoyment of game play is much reduced. It is best taken as a perk from playing the game, rather then your primary gear fountain.

And NO, I am not saying GC is working well at this point in time (it's not) ... and I have been a harsh critic of it and have offered numerous suggestions as to how to go about fixing most of the warts on GC. I am simply pointing out that how you assess something and then how you approach it... makes a HUGE difference in the outcome in terms of your game play enjoyment.

As a guild, my guild and it's members have largely mitigated the negative aspects of GC from our play and enjoyment of 5.0. We simply had to embrace crafting and crafting progression as key for us in 5.0 to largely break from dependence on GC for gear, while we wait for the studio to actually make sense out of GC for players. We had to step out of the bubble of preconceived ideas about gear and gear progression that we had become accustomed to in earlier expac. Of course we could have stayed in out little bubble, and fallen on the floor in rage or tantrums and demand it's removal. But we chose not to go that route because we enjoy the game and there were obvious alternative approaches to progress gear in 5.0 and not be so dependent on GC. So I guess you could say we as a guild are enjoying ignoring GC and simply take pleasure when as a result of normal game play we get a crate here and there and anything in it is a surprise rather then an expectation.

Edited by Andryah

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Few days ago i have pushed my gc lvl up to 90. Now im nearly 150, 60 lvls = crates into tier 2. Guess what items i have used from it. NONE. Got two sets of 236 bracers. Two ears 236. Four 234 (ofc all ears were with the wrong stat for my choice) and one belt 236. one 236 oh and one 236 mh. Now just before walking in to tiwer 2 in gallactic command i have been granted with 236 bracers, belt, ear and bought two 240 hilts. Seriously, i dont even feel the need for this crappy system. Its not benefiting me at all.

Few days ago i have pushed my gc lvl up to 90. Now im nearly 150, 60 lvls = crates into tier 2. Guess what items i have used from it. NONE. Got two sets of 236 bracers. Two ears 236. Four 234 (ofc all ears were with the wrong stat for my choice) and one belt 236. one 236 oh and one 236 mh. Now just before walking in to tiwer 2 in gallactic command i have been granted with 236 bracers, belt, ear and bought two 240 hilts. Seriously, i dont even feel the need for this crappy system. Its not benefiting me at all.

Wow. That's unlucky. I hit tier 2 yesterday. Level 91 was new 234 gloves better than my purple set bonus ones as they were healer set. 92 was a new ear piece. 93 was a purple level vibroknife that is perfect. Yeah I had to take a break from the grind so only 3 levels today.

Like a few players in this game I gave up the daily grind ( at rank 45 ) but then they gave us the massive bonus boost and since then I have made it to max rank 300 and come away with at least 2 sets of full 240 and working on my 3rd also getting some nice legendary items.

I just don't see why people hate it so much If you go into an Operation now you are likely to walk away with less than grinding the crates and gear doesn't make a good player it's the skill of knowing how to play the class.

Now it hasn't been all fun and games I have made some serious mistakes with command crates one of them was the worst of it's kind when I done disintegration on a legendary 242 offhand :( so have you made any slip ups like I did with my offhand ?

also please try and keep this thread positive :)

So wait you had a character at 45 command rank what 2 weeks ago...not even but lets be generous. And at the 3 ranks per hour rate....you have hit 300. So we're talking 80 hours of play....in a shy of 2 weeks of play....

Ok I am sure I believe your tale of awesome RNG luck. Here's mine, my main has 15 set pieces at rank 105, all 230 none higher yet. I have 7 tank pieces, and 6 dps ones. I have 3 extra chest pieces can't remember if they are tank or dps but hardly matters. My friend with cmd rank 89 has 1 piece. That is hardly fun for them or fair. That is what RNG sucks. Its not because any one case works out, but because its random. It means effort is meaningless. It means time put in doesn't matter. It means fun doesn't matter only the grind does. And that isn't good for any game or play style.

So wait you had a character at 45 command rank what 2 weeks ago...not even but lets be generous. And at the 3 ranks per hour rate....you have hit 300. So we're talking 80 hours of play....in a shy of 2 weeks of play....

I was wondering this myself.

Surely this can't be seen as a typical player who can devote 40 hours of grinding the same content a week.

Not to mention having such amazing luck misses the point completely sure if every crate I open has a 242 piece I need that is great but for people that don't get so lucky it really sucks. Not to worry though I can do NiM ops to have a chance of getting the missing pieces.

After getting to GC 80, I don't see why everyone's so hung up on set pieces. I had four set pieces by GC 50, and the orange 230's are superior, at least for dps specs...and those drop like candy. Same armor, 30 more mastery and 28 more endurance per piece of orange 230 over the purple set pieces, and the set bonuses are pure junk. They're identical for my scoundrel and my vanguard, which means a paltry 2% dps increase for 15 seconds out of every 30, one ability with a whopping 2 energy decrease in cost, and an auto crit once a minute. I have one tier 2 set piece so far and it was only marginally better than the orange 230 chest I replaced. Edited by Vember

After getting to GC 80, I don't see why everyone's so hung up on set pieces. I had four set pieces by GC 50, and the orange 230's are superior, at least for dps specs...and those drop like candy. Same armor, 30 more mastery and 28 more endurance per piece of orange 230 over the purple set pieces, and the set bonuses are pure junk. They're identical for my scoundrel and my vanguard, which means a paltry 2% dps increase for 15 seconds out of every 30, one ability with a whopping 2 energy decrease in cost, and an auto crit once a minute. I have one tier 2 set piece so far and it was only marginally better than the orange 230 chest I replaced.

Yeah but for the extra endurance you're giving up power. I would not call that superior at all. The blue armorings and enhancements are the same as the purples, but the mod is not. Bad itemization for dps and heal specs.

After getting to GC 80, I don't see why everyone's so hung up on set pieces. I had four set pieces by GC 50, and the orange 230's are superior, at least for dps specs...and those drop like candy. Same armor, 30 more mastery and 28 more endurance per piece of orange 230 over the purple set pieces, and the set bonuses are pure junk. They're identical for my scoundrel and my vanguard, which means a paltry 2% dps increase for 15 seconds out of every 30, one ability with a whopping 2 energy decrease in cost, and an auto crit once a minute. I have one tier 2 set piece so far and it was only marginally better than the orange 230 chest I replaced.

The issue is that for ranked PVP or progression Ops teams, 2% DPS for 15 seconds is a very significant difference. The system is especially bad for players trying to play the most difficult content in the game which are already a much maligned group around here.

If the players who genuinely like Galactic Command (and not just whatever Bioware produces) can technically clarify how and why it is better than the progression system we had before 4.0 (not during or after 4.0) then please do so.

Though my Nar Shaddaa stronghold walls are plastered with HM and operations achievement portraits, I confess to not having run a operation since our guild all but dissolved last summer from KotFE replacing lootz with crates and no new operations being released since 2014. So I may be a bit fuzzy on their levels of technical difficulty now. But are operations no longer the pinnacle of PvE teamwork?

I ask because Galactic Command is set up so that anyone can grind command ranks in disciplines that have nothing to do with PvE or group play to get Ops gear. Which is why I loathe the very thought of pugging Ops ... relying on players who got their Ops gear from disciplines other than PvE group combat related activities. I liken it to being on the same road with drivers who got their licenses from collecting enough cereal box tops.

And assuming the lucky ones actually acquire a tier set, are they reallly grinding ops with it? Or is the gear itself the end game for them? Because if the gear itself is the end game for them then they are totally missing the point.

Edited by GalacticKegger

......if the gear itself is the end game for them then they are totally missing the point.

If you embrace what you actually stated here... then why are you so worked up about gearing from crates then? The only real advantage of the crate-only approach at this point would be for people who feel they simply cannot log in and play the game without a full tier 3 set bonus.

I get it.. from your other comments you appear jaded over this because you feel it largely killed your guild. I empathize as that never feels good, but the fact is.. your guild could easily have developed a plan to not be dependent on GC crates and been successful in 5.0 rather then giving up and leaving. But it honestly sounds more like your guild moved on because of no new OPs, which is fine as if that is the sole focus of a guild in MMOs these days.. nomadic migration from MMO to MMO is fairly normal.

The issue is that for ranked PVP or progression Ops teams, 2% DPS for 15 seconds is a very significant difference. The system is especially bad for players trying to play the most difficult content in the game which are already a much maligned group around here.

I can't see how a 2% damage increase for 15 seconds is significant in any way, unless your'e talking about hours upon hours of sustained dps. Also, does that 2% make up for the 180 mastery you lose by choosing the purple set over orange armor?

Edited by Vember

I can't see how a 2% damage increase for 15 seconds is significant in any way, unless your'e talking about hours upon hours of sustained dps. Also, does that 2% make up for the 180 mastery you lose by choosing the purple set over orange armor?

The extra mastery isn't coming from the armorings (assuming same level), it's coming from poorly itemized mods. So the set bonus would be better, even if it isn't significant.

Operations are much more about skill than gear. A good 224/234 team can get into NiM just fine, while a 240/242 team with bad rotations will crash and burn every time.

As for PvP, you can get 240 mods through your main/gtn and give them to your alts. The difference between 240 and 242 is negligible, and sometimes 240 mods are even better than 242's (in case of skank tanks). Sure, there's some buffs that could be made to operation rewards, t1/t2 rewards, and rng safeties for full sets. But the issues themselves are overblown.

230 might drop for you like candy, but they are a rare treat for me. I get 228s again and again and again. I would be thrilled if 230s dropped like candy for me too. I'm tired of disintegrating repeats of the same green gear.

Edited by Damask_Rose

I'm a solo players and I've managed to get my first max level character thanks to the amazing boosts.

I'm rank 28(i think) and i like it but i have been reading up about the game and changes etc cause it has been a while since i have last played.

From what i gather the BiS loot is in the GC which is the only way to get said items and i think its a horrid idea but if there was addition loot drops from other sources like how it used to be i think it would be great all around.

and the orange 230's are superior

My commando is cr 64 now I still haven't got any orange 230s. Five 230 purple set pieces though.

I actually really like current rate of 5-6 ranks/hour in tier 1. Though repeating one chapter over and over...

Edited by Halinalle

230 might drop for you like candy, but they are a rare treat for me. I get 228s again and again and again. I would be thrilled if 230s dropped like candy for me too. I'm tired of disintegrating the repeats of same green gear.

Really? I have disintegrated multiple full sets of orange 230 gear.

My commando is cr 64 now I still haven't got any orange 230s. Five 230 purple set pieces though.

I actually really like current rate of 5-6 ranks/hour in tier 1. Though repeating one chapter over and over...

You're in Tier 1, so obviously the purple 230 set pieces are the best you get in that tier. No Orange 230s that are better. RNGods are on your side to have gotten 5 set pieces by 64.

I just reached GC rank 300 last night; that is 120 tier 3 ranks. Not one tier 3 BiS item.

Edited by mike_carton

You're in Tier 1. And obviously the purple set pieces are the best you get in that tier. No Orange 230s that are better. RNGods are on your side to have gotten 5 set pieces by 64.

I just reached GC rank 300 last night; that is 120 tier 3 ranks. Not one tier 3 BiS item.

First legendary (orange?) rating is 236 I don't see how that's worse than orange 230 (orange shell with blue/purple 230s?).

Edited by Halinalle