Will the game ever get an Engine update?

Nubanuba

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Need_for_Speed_(2015_video_game)

all battlefields are doing damn fine in multiplayer.

sw battlefront rings a bell?

Shadow Realms will be multiplayer rpg.

I would consider frostbite engine as mmoable on ease.

again.. small group shooters... NOT MMOs. Big difference.

Clearly, frostbite is a good engine, but apparently not for MMO use.

Edited by Andryah

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you said that frostbite engine is for single player games only ;)

No he did not.

I asked... "Name one MMO running on one of the Frostbite engines."

There are none. Why do you suppose that is? Clearly if it was the cats meow of engines, and applicable to MMOs.. some studio somewhere would be using it on an MMO. But nope.

Edited by Andryah

He greatly suggested that frostbite is a great single player engine. Meanwhile there are far more games focused on multiplayer action than singleplayer. + there was an mmo based on frostbite.

I've made literally no reference to the Frostbite engine in any of my posts.

Feel free to point out where I did, I'll wait.

You cannot just flip a switch and say "BAM 32-bit is now 64-bit"

Of course you cant. But it can be done by companies willing to put the time in. Perfect example. ESO. Released on 32 bit, and now is on 64 bit. People who say it isnt possible are just making up excuses for BW.

Despite the large amount of resources that would be required to make it happen, I really think a new engine and complete graphical overhaul would give this game a huge second wind, and with it a much larger subscriber base than what we currently have at present. Gamers, both casual and hardcore, are drawn to "the new shiny", and the gameplay improvements and additions would be well received.

The Star Wars brand has never been hotter, and there's no better time to capitalize on this than now with new movies and media being released left and right.

I'm not going to delude myself into thinking this will actually happen, but a man can dream. I really love this game, but it's always given my an odd sense of being half-baked, even five years later.

• 6 months later...
correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the license they got for SW games up in a couple of years?

doubt they'd go through such an undertaking if that's the case.

I think the license doesn't end until 2023, which is more than just a couple years. And then it still may be extended or not.

I have to chime in now and I am one of the guys that had this game since day zero. There needs to be some sort of engine overhaul. Sure 5 or 6 years ago...who cares. But now, now that Star Wars in top notch again with these big time movies coming out and all of these procedural gen MMOs on the horizon, SWTOR needs some new eye candy. The new Star Wars fans that were attracted over the last 18 months are hungry for a nice Star Wars Story of their own---OF THEIR OWN--- Tons of new money out there for you guys to grab. Honestly, you guys at the studio should have seen this coming years ago, question is...What a=have you done about it? If the engine cant be overhauled anymore than it already is then this train has come to the end of the line. There are some very stunning MMOs on the horizon and possibly some WoW killers too.

I have to chime in now and I am one of the guys that had this game since day zero. There needs to be some sort of engine overhaul. Sure 5 or 6 years ago...who cares. But now, now that Star Wars in top notch again with these big time movies coming out and all of these procedural gen MMOs on the horizon, SWTOR needs some new eye candy. The new Star Wars fans that were attracted over the last 18 months are hungry for a nice Star Wars Story of their own---OF THEIR OWN--- Tons of new money out there for you guys to grab. Honestly, you guys at the studio should have seen this coming years ago, question is...What a=have you done about it? If the engine cant be overhauled anymore than it already is then this train has come to the end of the line. There are some very stunning MMOs on the horizon and possibly some WoW killers too.

Thing is.. the game engine HAS in fact been updated numerous times over the years. Performance improvements, which have eliminated a number of issues that impacted a lot of players. But no.. they have not fixed every complaint from players... and never will.. no studio does actually.

But I know that is not what you want to hear, because you are actually an advocate for replacing the engine, NOT updating it. Please feel free to proceed with Hero hate. :)

I wish they'd ditch the graphical improvements for stability and/or just not add new QoL features that bloat the database of this creaking, deficient engine further. I have to take a big break from the game because of my migraines and a big issue is how I've noticed increased stuttering and issues that have nothing to do with my IP or system (hint: I don't play on a weak system that gets to hit ultra at 60 FPS at 1080p on Rise of the Tomb Raider) and running on low only goes so far. I can notice a flicker or screen issues long before they become perceivable and the server I do or did run everything on with the people to do the group content (The Harbinger) and is one of the only servers in the game with viable group content runs terribly with what my fellow APAC players know are some frelling insane lag spikes to do with some sort of maintenance when the servers should be at their lightest load.

I'm not playing as of last night and while I do plan to resume, my sub runs out at end of October and I won't be resubbing until late January and the main reason is playing this because of the issues they've introduced, that are worsening, are making me sick. And if I get back and can only withstand a few months until my migraines start chaining again directly because of the engine/server/game issues- I don't mind paying a sub while I don't play because I have a migraine- my entire life involves big stretches where I'm nearly useless but playing the game itself shouldn't be a walking, talking migraine trigger because of worsening engine issues. I don't pay for that.

still that's not enough time to basically redo the whole game unless they feel like throwing about as much cash on it as they did from start to hire enough talent to do that.

Yeah I agree. Unless they have been working on something secretly for years I doubt it'll ever happen.:rak_03:

How long before the Star Wars license comes up for renegotiation?

I seem to recall at launch that BW had the rights for the MMO for 10 years. So six years in and we have 4 years left before the licensing plug could be pulled.

Not sure any company would invest in such a short term project.

Also, with the experience they've had from this and seeing the saturation of the MMO market I wouldn't be surprised if they quietly back out of the MMO market instead focusing on one shot titles that can be released across multiple platforms.

how long before the star wars license comes up for renegotiation?

I seem to recall at launch that bw had the rights for the mmo for 10 years. So six years in and we have 4 years left before the licensing plug could be pulled.

Not sure any company would invest in such a short term project.

Also, with the experience they've had from this and seeing the saturation of the mmo market i wouldn't be surprised if they quietly back out of the mmo market instead focusing on one shot titles that can be released across multiple platforms.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.