Closed PTS Applications

EricMusco

If you any ToS violations on your account, you are ineligible.

So I'm assuming the word missing is had? I took advantage of Cora over 2 years ago, got banned for 24 hours. Only violation I ever had. Was hoping by now it still wouldn't break my eligibility for stuff. Oh well.

Edited by Hellhog

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey folks,

As we mentioned on the last Producer Live Stream, we are going to be putting Game Update 5.2 on PTS. For now, our plan is that the test server will be closed with the intention of opening up later on. I want to make sure that players have the opportunity to apply to get entry into this closed test, so let's talk about how to do that. Here are the requirements:

• Being on the closed test server means signing an NDA. You must be willing to sign and abide by that agreement.
  • You must be 18 years or older to be eligible.
  • You must have an active subscription (to access the test server).
  • You must be willing to play and provide feedback.
  • You must be able to post on the forums, if you have been banned from the forums you are ineligible.
  • If you any ToS violations on your account, you are ineligible.
  • Our test server is not localized and our communication around it will be only in English, therefore this opportunity is only open to English speaking players.

Right now we are mainly looking to recruit Guilds and Ops groups to help test Tyth. Early on in the Closed PTS we will only be testing the Operation. We will open up recruiting to individuals and small groups later on if we place the daily area and Master Mode Uprisings on the test server. If your Guild or Op group is interested in applying, please follow these steps:

• Send an email to swtorsubmissions@swtor.com with the subject line "Closed PTS Application"
  • Include the following information:
    • Your account name.
    • The account name of each Op member/Guild member you wish to bring into the test.
    • Any notes on why you think your Op group or Guild should be accepted into the test.

Again, for this stage we are looking for entire Ops groups/Guilds to test Tyth. Application in no way guarantees entry into the test.

-eric

Hi Eric,

I know you've said testing will focus on OPS, but can I suggest you also organise some groups of pvp players and make sure there is enough so they can all play at different times or at the same time.

The reason I'm suggesting to do this is a lot of the time changes made in other parts of the game have unforeseen consequences in other parts. Sometimes they are minor, but other times they can cause big problems, especially if you are doing any class changes.

Usually by the time changes reach the Open PTS, it's too late to make changes.

If you do decide to do this, please get enough people of differing skill to pug, not only ranked, but also 8 man WZs.

Obviously you'll need to organise specific times so people can coordinate.

I actually understand the TOS violation in regards to cheating.... Cheaters cheat, and that will not change.

I guess you dont know how this works even in real life!!

There are people who are payed by companies to crack their vault or safe in order to find a weakness the thief's may use in the future!! Who would you hire for such a job? Only a former thief!! ToS violation is mostly about exploiting and it would do good to have such people there so that they inform about possible exploits!!

I work as an auditor in a company and the only reason why I am so successful in finding people who cheat is cause i did the same when i was young and stupid!

Who would you hire for such a job?

Probably a security expert. Who may or may not have been skilled hackers previously.

Not someone who decides to take advantage of an MMO flaw.

"Wow I can sell this chair for more than I bought it for - wow I'm a mad hacker!"

You make a completely fair point. We invite Ops groups of all skill levels from very casual Ops players, to top-end Guilds. We will also invite individuals who are interested in Ops (for the reasons you highlighted), but just not at the very first stages.

-eric

So when you mention top end guilds I am assuming your placing this post on the World of Warcraft forums as well since all the raiders left this game long ago.

may or may not have been skilled hackers previously.

Not someone who decides to take advantage of an MMO flaw.

There is a difference, many ppl in the game dont get the idea of trying out various stuff. Right now we do know some things that may occur in the boss fight. There might be a spot where he doesn't attack you, might be a way to loot before kill, way to cheese a mechanic etc.

People with experience know of such things and do know what to look for, since they have done it before. They did it before, were banned and not shouldn't participate on PTS, that is not a good idea.

Eric,

from past experience the devs never have the time to improve the new features and the changes based on players feedback.

Hence we are mostly useful for bug and exploit fixes and have to live with what you guys designed and how you thought it would work.

So my question is: did the producers, Ben AND James, planned accordingly to give you time to fix what you guys have been cooking?

If not guess it will be as always: we both loose, you subscribers and us a well designed and pleasant experience.

Thanks

Edited by Deewe

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Quick update. One of the pieces of feedback we are hearing about Closed PTS is the rule about "ever having a ToS violation" is too strict and too punishing. After some discussion, we agree. Having a ToS violation is still something that we don't take lightly, but it shouldn't punish you forever. We are updating the rule to the following:

• If you have had a ToS violation within the past 12 months, you are ineligible.

Feel free to adjust for that in any application emails that you send. Thanks everyone.

-eric

I guess you dont know how this works even in real life!!

There are people who are payed by companies to crack their vault or safe in order to find a weakness the thief's may use in the future!! Who would you hire for such a job? Only a former thief!! ToS violation is mostly about exploiting and it would do good to have such people there so that they inform about possible exploits!!

I work as an auditor in a company and the only reason why I am so successful in finding people who cheat is cause i did the same when i was young and stupid!

Look, you have your opinion, and I have mine. Mine comes from the industry. At SOE, SCEA, Turbine, and WBI we found that people who exploited were unreliable at best.

Assuming that cheaters are the only ones who get whatever can go wrong is a huge fallacy. There are people with the able mindset to see how things can be broken that are honest.

Hey folks,

Quick update. One of the pieces of feedback we are hearing about Closed PTS is the rule about "ever having a ToS violation" is too strict and too punishing. After some discussion, we agree. Having a ToS violation is still something that we don't take lightly, but it shouldn't punish you forever. We are updating the rule to the following:

• If you have had a ToS violation within the past 12 months, you are ineligible.

Feel free to adjust for that in any application emails that you send. Thanks everyone.

-eric

Wait that is not what you said before... before you said if you were not banned on the forum you can enter. Does that mean now if you have had a ban within 12 months you cannot? That is unfair.

Wait that is not what you said before... before you said if you were not banned on the forum you can enter. Does that mean now if you have had a ban within 12 months you cannot? That is unfair.

TOS violation in game.... It's a fair change as it allows people who made a mistake a chance to do something. This is just an adjustment to the in game violation policy.

^^ wants to see the first boss, but does not want to work in an organized group and provide group based and coherent feedback to actually improve the encounter. :cool:

Using random PuGs to test is a BAD idea. They are a suboptimal approach in game, and hence even worse for beta testing cycles.

Why? Because you do not tune an OP, or even part of an OP (like the first boss) based on a bunch of random players who have no affiliation or real interest in working together AND providing solid feedback. I think it is fine to let a few PuG group test sequences AFTER the encounter has been tested and tuned for organized groups who know each other, work together, and hence test the limits of the encounter. The PuGs would test the lower limits of the encounter... since they are by definition sub-optimal.

Context is important here.. this is not an open PTS.. but rather a closed PTS. The studio is well within their rights to set the conditions and limits of access... and clearly they want credible teams of players that they trust to provide organized and coherent feedback.

I dont think they should test "around" a PUG, but they should a few times, observe how a pug handles the boss. not cut them out completely, but observe how the increase in difficulty effects a PUG.

If we are applying for our raid team do we have to have the actual account names for all individuals? I am trying to get my raid team applied but I do not have everyone's account name but I do have their server character names

I dont think they should test "around" a PUG, but they should a few times, observe how a pug handles the boss. not cut them out completely, but observe how the increase in difficulty effects a PUG.

They should be testing it for PUGs also. Ops are so inaccessible to such a large portion of the players, why tune it for a such a small portion of players? I feel like operations (raids) are an old gameplay archetype that needs some updating to fit in better with modern trends.

Hey folks,

-eric

Appreciate the change in stance Eric, hopefully this will allow a greater number of experienced players onto the PTS.

Hey folks,

-eric

Thank you Eric :)

• Dev Post

ToS violation not forum violation. My answer to you previously still stands :).

-eric

They should totally set SM difficulty around PUGS - if it's "pug friendly" that means more people willing to do the operation and more organised groups taking on pug members to do the OP.

I remember how hard it was getting fill ins for ToS originally and then if you had a night to yourself finding a group was just as hard.

Sometimes people just want to do the content and not be gated out of it because it's too incredibly difficult that you have to have an organised group that have "read the guides" etc. - That's what HM+ is for.

So now Ravagers exploiters are eligible basically.

I'm assuming they were worried if they excluded exploiters there would be barely anyone left to test heh.

In saying that I hope this time BWA actually patch the exploits that get found because ravagers could have been avoided if they were paying attention to PSA feedback.

Otherwise they are inviting exploiters in to find exploits and then letting them exploit it in live.