The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Any1 else wanna know what were paying for?

MVPddark

I certainly hope you are not serious. Guild Wars has a TON of content and at its peak had A LOT of players, it also had regular expansion packs.

Compared side by side, the GW style of game is a LOT smaller scale than a traditional MMO. Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying GW was a BAD game, not at all and if you like that thing, great! Compared to something like EverQuest, WoW, SWG or even this in it's infancy, it's not a fair comparison. A game like this NEEDS it's subscription for blatantly obvious reasons.

Edited by LilPika

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

explain how f2p games can do the same

Simple, they're not really free to play.

CO, STO, DCUO, LotRO, DDO, ect... All major P2P mmo's that went free to play had most if not all of their initial development costs paid for in the P2P days. They now can get by on a combination of subscription fees, and items sold on their stores.

In those games you don't actually get to play for free, you get various levels of the game for free and have to pay for the rest one way or another.

The Asian F2P games, are typically P2P games in other countries, and have items you pretty much have to pay for for sale, so again they're not really free.

as well as games like Guildwars that can do all this without charging?

GW isn't really free either. For one there's a ton of expansions you have to buy, plus you have to pay for other stuff in game. There's few major content updates that don't require you buying an expansion.

Also they don't host the same type of servers that a MMO does. GW is more of a Peer-to-peer system then a hosted client system, so the overhead is much, much smaller.

Ummm you try running a bunch of servers and paying service provides for hosting services each month in order for people to play.

It's pretty standard for an MMO to charge a monthly fee because it is not free to keep those servers running.

If you come from the FPS world then most servers you play on are also paid for by the server owners and cost money.

Nothing comes free in this world, welcome to reality

So gw was not on servers was on something magical right?

Everyday i get more and more excited about how clever u kids are.

You live in fake fail world where u pay per month thinking it is for the good of a game while others take your money and have party times with lots of women.

But you are too naive for that so go pay and help them be with as many girls as they can while u think u pay for the servers.Omg so naive u are if i was a developer i would charge u 25 per month because u have no inteligence and u would pay.If i was in the internet industry sooner i would have become a developer to fool people like u and tell them that the servers need money u have to pay 25 per month to keep them up.

F2P games don't exist. There is Freemium, Sales Revenue, 'Expansion' pack or box sales that create revenue.

I know full well where my money is going, it's going toward the development of patches and new content that BW have already said will be released weekly (Every Tuesday). The content you get in so called "F2P" games that is hyped up and spends months in development is delivered in a quarter of the time in a title like this, with vastly more polish and much more varied content.

The stuff you'll be palmed off with as a so called "Expansion" is a minor content patch in a traditional MMO.

of course F2P games exist! ive just given u a big example... LIKE GUILDWARS YOU PAY FOR THE SOFTWARE WITH THIS GAME, BUT UNLIKE GUILDWARS YOU THEN HAVE TO PAY MORE. just incase you didnt get it the 1st time. This game WILL have expansion packs just like guildwars did, just like WoW, but the fact is you will still have to pay to play this game online. All it comes down to is greed

So gw was not on servers was on something magical right?

Everyday i get more and more excited about how clever u kids are.

You live in fake fail world where u pay per month thinking it is for the good of a game while others take your money and have party times with lots of women.

But you are too naive for that so go pay and help them be with as many girls as they can while u think u pay for the servers.Omg so naive u are if i was a developer i would charge u 25 per month because u have no inteligence and u would pay.If i was in the internet industry sooner i would have become a developer to fool people like u and tell them that the servers need money u have to pay 25 per month to keep them up.

Lol. Just lmao. And your precious guild wars is based on micro transactions. Which you pay for. Just lmao.

Edited by Vastalee

Anyways to keep it simple your paying for severer maintenance, customer service and other things.

Most if not all F2P mmos are built on a pay for perks system that helps them with such things.

Either way you still would be paying to get the game fully.

So lets all chill out and be glad bioware is giving their first attempt at a mmo their all and doing a pretty good job for starters in this area thus far.

Sorry for typos and errors.

Edited by Talosred

Greetings folks!

As a gentle reminder to everyone, please remember the following:

• Stay on Topic - Please try to stay on topic when participating in a thread. Off topic posts have a way of hijacking and derailing a discussion.
  • Insults - Please do not resort to or use them in any way in your posts. Posts should be productive, not destructive.
  • Trolling - Please do not post messages that are purposefully designed to provoke, antagonize, or otherwise elicit a negative emotional response.
  • Agree to Disagree - Be respectful of others' viewpoints even if they are opposite of your own. Discuss disagreements constructively.
  • Flag, Don't Fight - Utilize the Flag Post feature to report possible rules violations, rather than responding to or fighting them.
  • Ignoring - If you feel you simply cannot get along with another community member, please place them on your ignore list.

Thank you!

of course F2P games exist! ive just given u a big example... LIKE GUILDWARS YOU PAY FOR THE SOFTWARE WITH THIS GAME, BUT UNLIKE GUILDWARS YOU THEN HAVE TO PAY MORE. just incase you didnt get it the 1st time. This game WILL have expansion packs just like guildwars did, just like WoW, but the fact is you will still have to pay to play this game online. All it comes down to is greed

If you read my post again, you'll see my point was that you've paid toward the development of Guild Wars. It wasn't free. You've not got where you are in it and not paid a penny, therefore it is not free 2 play.

Haven't your parents ever teached you that theirs no such thing as a free lunch?

Your just not getting it are you... lmao Why pay for something you cant use? Please explain this to me. If i had walked away with the game i would not have been able to play UNLESS i paid more. The fact is more only NEEDS to be paid, so that the £45 million they make from you 1st million players, turns into £54 million thanks to the 1 million £9 monthly subscriptions.

Welcome to MMOs - stop complaining about $0.50/day (USD - not sure what your currency equal is).

I spend more per day on a can of pop which I drink in about 30 minutes vs something that I enjoy doing for a couple of hours. Seems like a good deal to me.

Thats just like saying we will sell you the can of coke for $20 and if you want the coke inside, you'll have to pay us $5 more each time...lmao

A gamecard costs $30 US, and that gives you 2 months - plenty of time to finish the game as one of the characters. If those are available where you live, just add that to the game cost (so the total would be about $90 US) and decide whether a game is worth that price.

fact is there r games out there which r also mmo's that can do the same but for free, it seems that u all just like to throw ur mums money around without a thought of what ur actually doing with it lmao

if hosting is so expensive then y is it that guildwars can let you play for free and give you content? And with other things you pay for you can buy the game and still play without having to pay a subscription.... most games come with an OPTIONAL fee that gives you added benifits, like with xbox.. you can still play the games you buy without having to pay to go online.

like i said it comes down to greed.

Cause GW and all the other F2P MMOs are laughable at best.

Your just not getting it are you... lmao Why pay for something you cant use? Please explain this to me. If i had walked away with the game i would not have been able to play UNLESS i paid more. The fact is more only NEEDS to be paid, so that the £45 million they make from you 1st million players, turns into £54 million thanks to the 1 million £9 monthly subscriptions.

You don't have to pay. You get a free month. You must put in a credit card, which is NOT charged immediately, to get your free month.

This is to avoid fraud.

It's more like charging a small fee for a straw to use to drink it.

That would suggest that you would still be able to get to the drink inside without a straw... so in game terms the straw = bonus content, and the drink = prepaid content, therefore making your straw idea laughable as you cant get to the game content without paying more for it