The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Chat empty space Spam

killatroll

Hey, so since 4.0, well I rejoined in 4.0 and saw this happening so thats as far as i know, someone has been spaming chat with a giant blank space of chat. You can't see who posted it or anything in the chat box. This has been going on for a long time and I am wondering when this will be fixed? During prime time, trying to sell or use trade in chat is a nightmare as all chat is constantly blanked out every 10-20 seconds.

Cant say I have seen this, which server

Considered creating a new chat tab just for trading (right mouse click on the chat tab)

/3 - Trade - Trade chat is for discussing buying/selling and auctions or move to it once you need too to finalize sales

This channel is rarely used as people mistakenly use /general instead. If you are trying to buy or sell items, instead of posting to /general, post to /trade instead. You may switch to this channel by typing "/3" or "/trade".

See spoiler for commands

GENERAL

/s - Say - Talks on local, this is to talk to players who are near your proximity

/p - Party/Group - This is to talk to players in your group, no one outside your group can read.

/g - Guild - Only members of your guild can see this text

/y - Yell - Send a message to players in the area

/e - Send an emote to nearby players (see a list of available emotes below)

/t or /w - Tell - /t Name Hello would send a private message to me saying "Hello"

/1 - /General - General chat means anyone in the same region can hear you

/2 - /PvP - Send a Message to the PvP chat channel

/3 - /Trade - Trade chat is for discussing buying/selling and auctions.

/t - Tell - /t targetname: (space after the colon) Hello would send a private message to me saying "Hello"

/afk - AFK - Set yourself as away from keyboard with an additional message too

/dnd - DND - Do not Disturb, people trying to contact you will get a message that you don't wish to be disturbed

/invite - Group Invitation - /invite Name would invite me to your group

/kick - Kick Member - /kick Name would kick me from your group

/who - Who - Shows a list of all players in the region and gives you search options

/ginvite Character --> invite that character into your guild

/gquit --> quit your current character's guild.

/gkick Character --> kick that character out of your guild

CHANNELS

/create [channelname] [password]- Create an Channel and an optional password

/cjoin [channelname] [password] - Join an already made channel also including a password if needed

/cleave [channelname] [password] - Leave a custom channel also including a password if needed

/lock [channelname] - Allow only invited players to join the channel

/unlock [channelname] - Allow all players to join the custom channel

/cinvite [channelname] [player] - Invite someone to the custom channel

/password [channelname] [password] - Set a password for the channel

/password [channelname] - Clear a password from a channel

/ckick [channelname] [player] - Kick a player from the channel

/ban [channelname] [player] - Ban a player from the channel

/unban [channelname] [player] - Unban a player from a channel

/mod [channelname] [player] - Give a player the moderator status in the channel

/unmod [channelname] [player] - Remove mod status from a player

/mute [channelname] [player] - Remove the ability to send messages on the channel

/unmute [channelname] [player] - Grant the ability to send messages on the channel

/moderate [channelname] - Set the custom channel to only let moderators speak

/unmoderate [channelname]- Set the custom channel to let anyone speak

/channellist - List all custom channels you are on

/list [channelname] - List the players on the custom channel

Edited by OwenBrooks

Cant say I have seen this, which server

Considered creating a new chat tab just for trading (right mouse click on the chat tab)

/3 - Trade - Trade chat is for discussing buying/selling and auctions or move to it once you need too to finalize sales

This channel is rarely used as people mistakenly use /general instead. If you are trying to buy or sell items, instead of posting to /general, post to /trade instead. You may switch to this channel by typing "/3" or "/trade".

See spoiler for commands

GENERAL

/s - Say - Talks on local, this is to talk to players who are near your proximity

/p - Party/Group - This is to talk to players in your group, no one outside your group can read.

/g - Guild - Only members of your guild can see this text

/y - Yell - Send a message to players in the area

/e - Send an emote to nearby players (see a list of available emotes below)

/t - Tell - /t Goshee Hello would send a private message to me saying "Hello"

/1 - General - General chat means anyone in the same region can hear you

/2 - PvP - Send a Message to the PvP chat channel

/3 - Trade - Trade chat is for discussing buying/selling and auctions.

/t - Tell - /t Goshee Hello would send a private message to me saying "Hello"

/afk - AFK - Set yourself as away from keyboard with an additional message too

/dnd - DND - Do not Disturb, people trying to contact you will get a message that you don't wish to be disturbed

/invite - Group Invitation - /invite Goshee would invite me to your group

/kick - Kick Member - /kick Goshee would kick me from your group

/who - Who - Shows a list of all players in the region and gives you search options

CHANNELS

/create [channelname] [password]- Create an Channel and an optional password

/cjoin [channelname] [password] - Join an already made channel also including a password if needed

/cleave [channelname] [password] - Leave a custom channel also including a password if needed

/lock [channelname] - Allow only invited players to join the channel

/unlock [channelname] - Allow all players to join the custom channel

/cinvite [channelname] [player] - Invite someone to the custom channel

/password [channelname] [password] - Set a password for the channel

/password [channelname] - Clear a password from a channel

/ckick [channelname] [player] - Kick a player from the channel

/ban [channelname] [player] - Ban a player from the channel

/unban [channelname] [player] - Unban a player from a channel

/mod [channelname] [player] - Give a player the moderator status in the channel

/unmod [channelname] [player] - Remove mod status from a player

/mute [channelname] [player] - Remove the ability to send messages on the channel

/unmute [channelname] [player] - Grant the ability to send messages on the channel

/moderate [channelname] - Set the custom channel to only let moderators speak

/unmoderate [channelname]- Set the custom channel to let anyone speak

/channellist - List all custom channels you are on

/list [channelname] - List the players on the custom channel

One small error. For /t, the target player's name must be followed by a colon : and a space, ever since they added the ability to have a space in our characters' names.

* /t Fred:(space)Hi Fred! --> sends a tell to Fred, saying, "Hi Fred!"

* /t Fred Hi:(space)Fred! --> sends a tell to Fred Hi, saying, "Fred!"

Two synonym commands:

* /general is the same as /1

* /w (whisper) is the same as /t

Another couple of things you can add:

* /ginvite Character --> invite that character into your guild

* /gquit --> quit your current character's guild.

* presumably /gkick Character --> kick that character out of your guild

I see that on occasion and have had folks complain about it in chat as well.

For me and others, it's because they have the general chat window fairly tight in height and width. Anything that's too large to display will cause the chat window to blank showing a large empty space.

You may want to just try making your chat window larger and/or making sure you don't have the font too large as well since that will cause the spacing issues as well.

If you right click on tab at the top of the chat window, you should see font size options. That tab I believe is hidden so you'll have to hover over it to see it. To resize that window, there's a spot at the lower right to click and hold to drag it out.

For me and others, it's because they have the general chat window fairly tight in height and width. Anything that's too large to display will cause the chat window to blank showing a large empty space.

I have seen this bug as well, though not recently. Having the chat window "too small" doesn't apply.

I do occasionally get annoyed with folks posting overly large blocks of stuff for sale (in /trade or /general) which "blanks" my chat window. But the bug in question isn't simply that. Unless people are posting incredibly huge lists of items for sale, and repeating them over, and over, and ....

When I last saw it, I expanded my chat window as large as possible (both width and height) and set the font to the smallest size, and still had the "blank" blocks take up the entire chat window. So I reported it. Couldn't list the "person" doing the "spamming", of course (if it was, in fact, someone spamming chat with oversized "messages"). But I did include the timestamp on the last post I could see before the "blank" and the first one after, for some four or five instances. I figured if it was a player they could find the posts in their logs act on it, and if it was actually some weird glitch in the chat system, they could forward it to the appropriate devs for action.

Edited by Adric_the_Red

Seriously FISHY

Chat space has to be the one place where you have fewest people, or at least you can't come physically next to a botter/ screen him (he's in his ship not yours).

This reminds me of strange incremental chatter I've seen from bot quatuors on Hutta and Ord Mantell (y'know... ranged dps starter planets, pew pew at will to farm) that goes like:

Rabbita : 2

Rabbitb : 22

Rabbitc : 224

WEIRD HUH ! :eek::mad:

• 3 years later...