Unassembled Pieces and Command Token Costs

EricMusco

Oh. That is super important to know. What I virtually ALWAYS do with my upgrades, is rip the mods out of the piece I get, put it into my gear (because it's both an outfit and augmented) and then vendor the shell to recover some of the costs.

...I'm a little confused as to why I'd need to keep the shell, to be honest. :rak_02:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I'm a little confused as to why I'd need to keep the shell, to be honest. :rak_02:

You need to keep the shell if you want to upgrade that tier piece to the next tier. For example, you get a tier 3 chest piece from a command crate, remove the mods to put into your custom armor. When you have sufficient UC (Unassembled Components), you can upgrade that tier 3 chest piece shell for the tier 4 version.

If you don't want to spend the UC to upgrade lower tier pieces, you can alternatively wait until you progress your Command Rank to the next tier and hope that RNG smiles on you.

Edited by Mournblood

But.... still.... why the SHELL?

The past set pieces have all been locked to the Armoring. If I've bought a piece, pulled the armoring out, put the armoring in the shell I'm using, I get the set bonus. Sell off the new shell, done. I've done that with Tier 1 pieces already, and also bought new Tier 2 pieces (and not kept the shells). I don't understand what you're telling me.

If I buy a Tier 2 piece, and don't keep the Shell does that somehow effect whether or not I can buy, or how I buy the Tier 3 piece? I'm honestly baffled by this notion.

Edited by LordFell

But.... still.... why the SHELL?

The past set pieces have all been locked to the Armoring. If I've bought a piece, pulled the armoring out, put the armoring in the shell I'm using, I get the set bonus. Sell off the new shell, done. I've done that with Tier 1 pieces already, and also bought new Tier 2 pieces (and not kept the shells). I don't understand what you're telling me.

If I buy a Tier 2 piece, and don't keep the Shell does that somehow effect whether or not I can buy, or how I buy the Tier 3 piece? I'm honestly baffled by this notion.

The intent is that you won't be able to purchase the Tier 4 gear directly with game currency (UCs). In order to build a progression-of-sorts when using UCs (rather than use Ops etc. to gear), you have to have the Tier 2 gear before you can get to Tier 3 and so on. To enforce this, this is how it works -

1. Assuming you have bought Tier x gear
  2. To buy Tier x+1 unassembled gear, you need Tier x gear + UCs. The gear for armor pieces can just be a shell. Armoring etc. inside the shell is immaterial. Having the shell proves you "earned" it somehow and are ready for the next level.
  3. To buy Tier x+1 gear, you need Tier x+1 unassembled gear + command tokens

I hope it is clear why you need Tier x gear now.

Now, they could have merged steps 2 and 3, but that becomes a problem because the current gear drops in Ops are unassembled gear. They would have to change those to disclipline-appropriate gear, which would be horrible for people trying to min-max their gear with a mix of, for example, DPS and Tank gear. What I would like is UCs and command tokens merging into a single currency (say, Commendations!) that continues to be legacy-wide.

Hope this was confusing enough :rak_03:

Edited by Merrick_Dek

Oh. That is super important to know. What I virtually ALWAYS do with my upgrades, is rip the mods out of the piece I get, put it into my gear (because it's both an outfit and augmented) and then vendor the shell to recover some of the costs.

Since you do what I do you need the shell and the unassembled tokens to get the next tier item. Example you get a tier 2 chestpiece and want to get a tier 3 chestpiece, you will need at least the shell and then the unassemble tokens for the tier 3 chestpiece. The shell because you have already ripped the mods/enhancements out and put in your other gear. The shell is to show that you have at least the tier 2 piece since they have required a lower tier before you can get the higher tier piece.

Why? Because BW made it that way. Does it make sense? Not really but it is the way they did it.

The empty shell of the gear is part of the required currency to purchase the next tier of gear. Why? It just is.

PvP gearing used to always work like this, but if you didn't PvP before 5.0 you won't be as familiar with this system. Just keep your shells after you pull the mods/armorings out of them so that you can use them to purchase upgrades - the shell is part of the price.

Yeah... I think I got some Tier 2 pieces on alts through operations... and since I didn't know about this, I'm sure I vendored the shells. :mad:

But once I found the vendors and spend some of my unassembled components, I understood what was meant by this... even if I'm aggravated by the necessity of having to bank those shells. :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

Where is the "new vendor" to whom I may bring my unassembled pants and other unassembled armor pieces that dropped from a couple of operation bosses ?

(I know this is an old thread, but the issue is not too old for me)

Where is the "new vendor" to whom I may bring my unassembled pants and other unassembled armor pieces that dropped from a couple of operation bosses ?

(I know this is an old thread, but the issue is not too old for me)

On fleet in the supply section