The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

How to deal with Mercs/Mando in PvP

Razortron

So i have found that the best way to deal with Mercs/Mandos playing on my Marauder is to simply uninstall the game and go play something else. Because its like taking a knife to a gun fight and its starting to get old fast to the point that im just gunna hold my hands up and surrender. GG Mercs one less Marauder on the Garbinger to worry about.

Bioware will have take care of the Mercs and Mandos, not your marauder. They can be killed with a Sin/Shadow from what I've experienced. But it's VERY hard.

THey need a bit of nerfing, because facetanking everyone without any serious consenquences is not very cool. Sometimes you get the feeling that they are immortal and furthermore their numbers in warzones is ridiculous.

Lately, you see mostly snipers and mercs in imp teams + healers, which is the reason I decided to quit playing warzones on imp sides. It kinda made me vomit. Especially those stupid imp vs imp matches where basically you see only snipers and mercs and it's boring as hell. especially when most of the time they are unbalanced.

Rep pvp is much more appealing now and wins feel a lot better on red eclipse server.

So i have found that the best way to deal with Mercs/Mandos playing on my Marauder is to simply uninstall the game and go play something else. Because its like taking a knife to a gun fight and its starting to get old fast to the point that im just gunna hold my hands up and surrender. GG Mercs one less Marauder on the Garbinger to worry about.

A well played marauder/sent can still kill a mercenary or a commando.

Its not about the class but the player and also the circumstances that occur during the warzone. For example i hate when im in a team of 3 Mercs cause we mostly lose!! Sometimes its overconfidence, the element of surprise and many other things which make Mercs get simply globalled.

Other classes do have their advantages, even yesterday we had a wz where in the end it was one Assassin against 2 Mercs and they both died. This was simply cause they were out of cds and with the clever use of ccing, pushing and interupts its possible to master.

Don' think they are as immortal as they are made out to be ...

A lot of them are those who rolled it from token when it became FOTM, i love those on my Sniper, see them butthurt is an absolute treasure. :))))

However it is interesting to watch, how 4 or 5 mercs on Voidstar, just stand there and tank everyone.. they don't even bother moving around! :D

Use your anger and frustration to channel the dark side.

Seriously though, i am 100% convinced by now that the vast majority of the merc swarm aren't good(to put it lightly), so the situation is not horrible. The difference between a bad or average merc and a good one is light and day.

It's not like it was with the sorcs, where even unskilled ppl could make matches unfun.

Edited by Kaedusz

Don' think they are as immortal as they are made out to be ...

A lot of them are those who rolled it from token when it became FOTM, i love those on my Sniper, see them butthurt is an absolute treasure. :))))

However it is interesting to watch, how 4 or 5 mercs on Voidstar, just stand there and tank everyone.. they don't even bother moving around! :D

They are ACTUALLY better when multiple people fire at them, since the chance one will keep bursting them single target when the reflect comes up is greater.

If you are smart, you can cirvumvent their defensive cooldown, easily enough, safe kolto overload in which you can be assured they won't be killed in the next 10 seconds. A smart merc will cover it with something else also to be sure it won't be wasted, either wz adrenal, or their bubble halfway through, assuming there is enough focus fire to warrant it (its amazing, get to 70% by kolto, focus fire continue, kolto end, health start going back down and at 30ish% goes back to full with trauma regulators. Ooops).

-AoE when reflect happens

-Mez when Bubble comes up

-Kite or mez when adrenaline probe comes up, if possible.

Keep hardstuns for when they have used reflect with most classes. With sin try to force them to waste their cc break on low slash.

EDIT : Do note you'll have to deal with good players kiting you as melee, but 80% of the currently playing Merc/Mandos (which are people using FoTM but without having a real clue) will get nuked as they lack an understanding of their OWN DCDs. What I particularly love, is seeing them get low (around 20% - So I am sure enough they don't have kolto overload availaible) then I hardstun them and proceed using a strong aoe if availaible (suppressive fire, death from above, lacerate etc).

Their surprise when they confidently pop their reflect and still die....

Edited by verfallen

They are ACTUALLY better when multiple people fire at them, since the chance one will keep bursting them single target when the reflect comes up is greater.

Its funny just how many people eat the reflect.

I try to aoe and 2 others break it and heal the merc to full.

Its funny just how many people eat the reflect.

I try to aoe and 2 others break it and heal the merc to full.

Yah its the big trouble at dealing with mercs in regs right now.

I main a deception sin, so I'm capable enough to make them hurt, and there are only a few mercs on my server I really am wary off 1vs1, and often team mates pretty much are more of an hindrance than anything lol (break my mez, single target hammer on the reflect)

Last week I got a merc down to 20%, he had used his kolto overload, cc break and bubble, I hardstun him and start lacerating when his reflect goes up. And I see good "skilled" FoTM merc player on my team turn to the merc I was fighting and he's like "OHHHH LOW HEALTH NOMNOMNOM KILLING BLOW!!!!"

He proceed on TM-HSM-BS-RAILSHOT.

Heals him a bunch, gets nearly killed in the process.

Edited by verfallen

Bioware will have take care of the Mercs and Mandos, not your marauder. They can be killed with a Sin/Shadow from what I've experienced. But it's VERY hard.

THey need a bit of nerfing, because facetanking everyone without any serious consenquences is not very cool. Sometimes you get the feeling that they are immortal and furthermore their numbers in warzones is ridiculous.

Lately, you see mostly snipers and mercs in imp teams + healers, which is the reason I decided to quit playing warzones on imp sides. It kinda made me vomit. Especially those stupid imp vs imp matches where basically you see only snipers and mercs and it's boring as hell. especially when most of the time they are unbalanced.

Rep pvp is much more appealing now and wins feel a lot better on red eclipse server.

Rep pvp on Red Eclipse.....oooo, regs is painful in my experience, which some might call 'appealing'

Step 1: attack da merc until he uses heal to full shield, you might get thrown or slowed or netted but it will only give the netc about 10 seconds of free attacks on you which is only one and a half of their rotations, the. You will watch them heal to full givingg them another free full rotation, the. Attack again until they drop and heal to full again guvingg them another 12 seconds of free hits and then if you somehow arent dead by now you can kill da meec!

Step 1: attack da merc until he uses heal to full shield, you might get thrown or slowed or netted but it will only give the netc about 10 seconds of free attacks on you which is only one and a half of their rotations, the. You will watch them heal to full givingg them another free full rotation, the. Attack again until they drop and heal to full again guvingg them another 12 seconds of free hits and then if you somehow arent dead by now you can kill da meec!

Or dont attack the merc with his sheild up.

As mara I aoe, and if that is on CD or some ******e breaks it I camo out and wait until its gone.

Edited by Ruhun

the only thing to do with them, for now, is what many other players do : target them hard a nuke them, and taunt them to be so bad.

one of the aspect i like in this 5.0 moment, see non merc players just target a merc to kill him like a poor reroller he is.

Edited by Thaladan

Learn to play helps too. But if that's too hard it's better for you to uninstall

Am I the only one that doesn't have problems with mercs? Seriously. Yeah, they can outplay you, but thats it, they OUTPLAYED you. So far I have been able to beat them with ruffian scoundrels, plasmatech vanguards, DF gunslingers, and balance sages.....

Yes I like my dots. xD

Am I the only one that doesn't have problems with mercs? Seriously. Yeah, they can outplay you, but thats it, they OUTPLAYED you. So far I have been able to beat them with ruffian scoundrels, plasmatech vanguards, DF gunslingers, and balance sages.....

Yes I like my dots. xD

The class has too many self heals as dps, so unless they are one of the FOTM bandwagin players melee in particular has a hard time buring them down.

People in this thread who defend mercs either play them or never played in ranked at 1500+ rating. Number of mercs is crazy, if you have 4 mercs against you no matter your team composition you might aswell call gg.

Alright, so maybe the title should be, "How to deal with Mercs/Mando in PvP ranked 1500+ rating"?

Yes, mercs are OPd in ranked, so essentially 5% of the pvp matches that are running are hindered by the scourge of evil mercs. 5% of all matches is probably being generous too, I bet.

I guess not playing ranked anymore has made me numb to this issue.

Regardless, mercs are not ruining regs, and at most need some very small, subtle alterations to their dcds.

I just wish all of the complaints were a little more detailed.

Saying 'MERCS ARE OPD OMG OMG THIS GAME SUCKS MERCS EVERYWHERE RUINING PVPZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!" is ambiguous and stupid.

Firstly all the valid complaints are coming from those fighting Arsenal mercs in 4v4 ranked. Not IO merc, and definitely not Bodyguard merc, and NOT IN REGS.

It's not ALL MERCS are OP'd, it's actually Arsenal mercs that are OP'd in 4v4 ranked especially when class stacked.

Expecting people to be able to coherently explain what it is that is the actual problem is too much to expect I guess.

Edited by Lhancelot