Why do EA suck at bringing back companions?

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I'd bet you more that they never actually bother to define the choices, because there's ultimately no reason to.

It wasn't the only thing you were "in error" about.

It changes that your solution for it doesn't work at all.

Whether it's dumb or not is irrelevant, it's the reason why they did it. It's the reason why we got another Dashade companion who can use all of Khem's companion customizations. Them doing that pretty much meant they had/have no plans to return Khem Val. If they did they wouldn't have bothered giving us the Deshade companion.

Because that's always gone over so well in the past?

There's no reason to now as sad as it may be. Like I said above them putting the new Dashade companion in the game was basically them saying "We're never bringing Khem back"

What? Why would they be doing anything for the class playthrough? That's the vanilla storyline.

Are you saying that people should have two Sith Inquisitors, one that they do the Eternal storyline on and one that they don't just so they can have both versions of Zash? If so, that's a terrible idea. "Hey play through all of this again, but just so you can have this one minor difference and as a bonus a character that you can never continue the story with!"

Yeah, we know, you make terrible decisions and lack creativity. Thanks for reminding us.

Except once again the Zash/Khem choice wasn't a dark side choice so your "solution" to make everything Empire a dark side choice doesn't solve that problem.

Also all dark side choices may workout okay with a Sith Warrior and Inquisitor but it makes absolutely no sense for the Imperial Agent and Bounty Hunter to be all dark.

Really there shouldn't even be light and dark choices in the game. It was a completely outdated binary system that didn't make any sense to have in the game. It was only there because it was in KOTOR, however it never fit or worked properly in SWTOR. Many of the choices that have dark and light assigned to them have nothing to do with good or evil or matters of perspective on certain choices can make it good or bad. In the KOTOR games you were playing as force users and the few decisions in the game that were light and dark were more black and white, but it never made sense to do it for SWTOR. It's something the game never needed to have and something that should've been completely removed or phased out.

How immersive for this story driven MMO.

When you talk to Master Ranos about Jaesa she will tell you if Jaesa is light or dark. You don't need to plug in a option prior as to whether Jaesa is light or dark before asking her, she tells you about Jaesa based on which version of Jaesa you had.

It wouldn't be hard, it would just be completely unnecessary given that the game already has a way of recognizing which Jaesa you picked.

You're making the mistake of looking it at from a story perspective when the problem is a production thing.

The reason why Bioware hasn't brought back the characters is because they require additional work that the other companions don't require. No other companion requires new dialogue for a light sided version and a dark sided version. If few players kept Zash in Khem's body does it even make sense to bring the Zash actor back to record new VO? Was/is Zash's voice actor available to record new VO? Did her recording fee go up?

Again, it's a cost issue, not a story issue to bring back Khem or Jaesa properly.

Was there any need to come on here acting like Mr. Knows better than everyone? Why be such an *** while making your point? Real dumb of you to assume I've only done dark side and that I make "terrible choices" and have "no creativity" just because I said I believe in any future SW books/guides etc that the dark side choices will be presented as canon for Empire players. That doesn't suggest that's all I've done so no need to act like such a petty little jerk.

Oh and by the way your VERY wrong about the devs definitely not bringing Khem back because of the new Dashade because they specifically announced the new Dashade wasn't a replacement and that they simply hadn't settled on when and how to bring him back yet. But of course you'll probably say oh the devs are always liars. You seem to jump back and forth between praising and loathing the game seeing as somehow the choices being light and dark isn't immersive enough for you but yet a single popup asking a question to shape your story would ruin this "immersive story driven MMO". I'm probably just gonna ignore you now cos your likely to come back and throw out even more paragraphs upon paragraphs of putdowns and a ton more arrogance so goodbye now :)

For the people saying "how do you integrate Khem/Jaesa back to the story" I'd say just do the obvious thing. Inq and SW are EMPIRE classes. As much as anyone might like to argue different in my eyes the canon choices there are always going to be dark side. So for me I'd be fine if on every other class but my SW and Inq they just assume the dark side choice every time and have DS Jaesa and Zash Val. Really who would it bother? If you want to see how it goes differently with the light side variants then just play the damn class story. Problem solved.

I think they'd go with Khem Val, not Zash, simply because more people keep Khem. It's also the easier option given you don't need actual speech recorded. And if I'm not mistaken the Inquisitor is defaulted to Darth Imperious if you start at level 60.

With Jaessa she doesn't have to be light or dark. You know, she could have developed an actual personality during those 5 years and not still be a robot with a evil/good switch on the back of her neck. The way they handled Jaessa was horrid. They could fix that by introducing an actual person instead of the caricatures we got in the vanilla game.

This is something I fail to understand.

New companions, sure. Obviously limiting their availability makes sense story wise.

However, original companions represent quite a bit of work for many folks I would guess, and losing original companions is just simply ludicrous if forced.

The mechanic to return ALL original companions should be flawless IMO. You should be able to step up, gather ALL of your original companions before you even START the FE content.

I might have even had a prompt that asked the question....

Playing Knights of the Fallen Empire will remove all of your original companions. Would you like to keep your current companions? (You would still have access to those companions though they would not be present in the storyline)

This way you could have kept them all without fault.

They said in stream that they want to bring them back if they have good way to do it. What they mean by that is that they don't want for example Kira or Elara to just jump behind next corner and say "Hi! Let's go!". I fully agree with them.

But if that ("Hi! Let's go!") is fine for you then just use the terminal.

Edited by Halinalle

Real dumb of you to assume I've only done dark side

Hey genius never once did I suggest/say that you only did dark side choices, but then again prove me wrong.

and that I make "terrible choices" and have "no creativity" just because I said I believe in any future SW books/guides etc that the dark side choices will be presented as canon for Empire players.

Wrong yet again smart guy. I said you make terrible choices and lack creativity because your solutions are things like "just force it on the players" and "just make 1 or 2 option thing come up" Those are both horrible suggestions, not to mention that there are better easier solutions. That's why you lack creativity and make terrible choices, not because of anything to do with dark side choices.

That doesn't suggest that's all I've done so no need to act like such a petty little jerk.

So it's okay for you to act like a jerk, but not me? Nice hypocritical attitude you've got there.

Oh and by the way your VERY wrong about the devs definitely not bringing Khem back because of the new Dashade

I never said that they would "definitely not" or "never" bring Khem back. I just explained why they didn't bring Khem back.

because they specifically announced the new Dashade wasn't a replacement and that they simply hadn't settled on when and how to bring him back yet.

They clearly planned on the new Dashade to be at least a temporary replacement or else they would've given him a new character model and/or wouldn't let us use Khem's companion customizations on him.

But of course you'll probably say oh the devs are always liars.

Yeah that's exactly what I said huh? I mean you've gotten everything else I've said wrong thus far so why would this suddenly be any different?

You seem to jump back and forth between praising and loathing the game

Oh so then I'm fairly normal then. Never 100% satisfied with all aspects of a video game much in the same way that most people are with video games. What a shocker.

seeing as somehow the choices being light and dark isn't immersive enough for you

I never said anything about the light and dark choices not being immersive. I said the light vs dark choices are an old outdated system and bad game design. Never did I say anything about them not being immersive, but what a surprise you yet again say I said something that I didn't. I guess you never get tired of lying.

but yet a single popup asking a question to shape your story would ruin this "immersive story driven MMO".

I said it would be unimmersive to do that because there are better, simpler ways to handle it while still being immersive. Given that, doing it the way you're suggesting would be insane, dumb, uncreative, etc.

I'm probably just gonna ignore you now cos your likely to come back and throw out even more paragraphs upon paragraphs of putdowns and a ton more arrogance so goodbye now :)

Nah, most of the responses were one sentence responses, not paragraphs, but what a shock, you continue you to be wrong about everything.

It would be great if Janesa came back, as all dark side force. I would do my new story missions. She would casually get turned on at some of my choices. I would loved if they thought this through, that certain choices I made in the past appear in future.

I boosted a level 70. I had my sith warrior meet up with Vette. She complained to me, she was no longer a toy for my pleasure. I never "hurt" her. It seems like some random choices were added. That's really good. She should be happy or mad at me based on what I did in the past.

It sorta feels like. I think they said this too. For example if they did all these things for Dark side Janesa, she would have completely separate reactions for light side. That's two different takes you have to make. It just feels like companions were casually brushed from main story.

They said in stream that they want to bring them back if they have good way to do it. What they mean by that is that they don't want for example Kira or Elara to just jump behind next corner and say "Hi! Let's go!". I fully agree with them.

But if that ("Hi! Let's go!") is fine for you then just use the terminal.

You don't think Kira, an Emperor's child, would have been nice to have when the Emperor died. Instead we have Lana sensing the Emperor. Or Scourge who prophesied said outcome (albeit that Knight specific). They've already gone past the "good way to introduce them" part. I think they're full of it. They have no intention of bringing them back.

I boosted a level 70. I had my sith warrior meet up with Vette. She complained to me, she was no longer a toy for my pleasure. I never "hurt" her. It seems like some random choices were added. That's really good. She should be happy or mad at me based on what I did in the past.

So, that's what happens if you never took off the shock collar :o

Hey genius never once did I suggest/say that you only did dark side choices, but then again prove me wrong.

Wrong yet again smart guy. I said you make terrible choices and lack creativity because your solutions are things like "just force it on the players" and "just make 1 or 2 option thing come up" Those are both horrible suggestions, not to mention that there are better easier solutions. That's why you lack creativity and make terrible choices, not because of anything to do with dark side choices.

So it's okay for you to act like a jerk, but not me? Nice hypocritical attitude you've got there.

I never said that they would "definitely not" or "never" bring Khem back. I just explained why they didn't bring Khem back.

They clearly planned on the new Dashade to be at least a temporary replacement or else they would've given him a new character model and/or wouldn't let us use Khem's companion customizations on him.

Yeah that's exactly what I said huh? I mean you've gotten everything else I've said wrong thus far so why would this suddenly be any different?

Oh so then I'm fairly normal then. Never 100% satisfied with all aspects of a video game much in the same way that most people are with video games. What a shocker.

I never said anything about the light and dark choices not being immersive. I said the light vs dark choices are an old outdated system and bad game design. Never did I say anything about them not being immersive, but what a surprise you yet again say I said something that I didn't. I guess you never get tired of lying.

I said it would be unimmersive to do that because there are better, simpler ways to handle it while still being immersive. Given that, doing it the way you're suggesting would be insane, dumb, uncreative, etc.

Nah, most of the responses were one sentence responses, not paragraphs, but what a shock, you continue you to be wrong about everything.

Yeah I'M the one acting like a jerk here. I simply stated my view and you came out and basically took ten minutes to call me a moron for my opinions. Your truly the worst of people. I could go back and get you exactly where in your post you said the stuff about me only doing dark side and being uncreative for it but see unlike you I'm not desperate enough to "win" some petty little argument to spend more than 60 seconds on responding to people who just always think they know best.

Yeah I'M the one acting like a jerk here.

That’s true…

Why be such an ***

Real dumb of you

a petty little jerk.

Seems pretty jerk like.

I simply stated my view

In such a polite way to right..

Why be such an ***

Real dumb of you

a petty little jerk.

What a nice way of stating your view.

and you came out and basically took ten minutes to call me a moron for my opinions.

I only called you a moron once you started to get an attitude about it.

Your truly the worst of people.

Says the guy who continually lies, won’t bother to back up his BS claims, and can never bother to give a proper response to something and instead blows things off so that he simply doesn’t need to deal with them.

I could go back and get you exactly where in your post you said the stuff about me only doing dark side

No, you can’t because that’s a flat out lie.

and being uncreative

Once again, I called you uncreative your solutions to the problems like “just force an option on players” not for you personally picking dark side choices. That’s a completely fabricated thing you made up that I said, but what a shock that you couldn’t find a quote of mine that doesn’t exist.

but see unlike you I'm not desperate enough to "win" some petty little argument to spend more than 60 seconds on responding to people

Says the guy arguing with someone on a video game forum.

who just always think they know best.

You mean knows best like “they should just force a choice on players” right? Explain that one hypocrite.

Edited by Darth-Obvious

That’s true…

Seems pretty jerk like.

In such a polite way to right..

What a nice way of stating your view.

I only called you a moron once you started to get an attitude about it.

Says the guy who continually lies, won’t bother to back up his BS claims, and can never bother to give a proper response to something and instead blows things off so that he simply doesn’t need to deal with them.

No, you can’t because that’s a flat out lie.

Once again, I called you uncreative your solutions to the problems like “just force an option on players” not for you personally picking dark side choices. That’s a completely fabricated thing you made up that I said, but what a shock that you couldn’t find a quote of mine that doesn’t exist.

Says the guy arguing with someone on a video game forum.

You mean knows best like “they should just force a choice on players” right? Explain that one hypocrite.

Lol truly pathetic xD Love how you use me asking why your being such as jerk as "evidence" of me being a jerk to you first xD If I'm asking why your being such a jerk then you obviously were being a jerk first. You quoted where I had said about darkside being empire and you said in your general arrogant smug way yeah we get that you make terrible choices and have no creativity. That clearly is you saying I've only made darkside choices when the quote you were addressing was on that subject. Seriously done with you now go try to bother someone else kid.

Lol truly pathetic xD

This from the guy who frequently lies and keeps suggesting that he’s done responding to me, but then keeps responding to me.

Love how you use me asking why your being such as jerk as "evidence" of me being a jerk to you first xD If I'm asking why your being such a jerk then you obviously were being a jerk first.

Actually, you’re the one that was being the jerk from the very get go. You immediately started the topic with such an attitude, acting as if you already knew everything and that there was no way you could possibly be wrong.

Note –

I keep hearing something about a voice actor strike but COME ON what about the comps that don't even require voicing?? Khem Val for instance. Still missing for no good reason. And dont tell me about the companion locator I know about that I mean comps coming back for story purpose.

Breaking it down…

what about the comps that don't even require voicing?? Khem Val for instance.

Flat out lie due to Zash.

Still missing for no good reason.

Another lie. The reason why he (and Jaesa) was missing was missing was due to the fact that they required more work and/or difficulty to return properly to the story.

You from the very get go came to all this with such arrogance that you brought all of this upon yourself, and then once people started throwing your idiotic mistakes back in your face you couldn’t deal with it, and your solution(s) were the worst suggestions possible for the situation presented.

You quoted where I had said about darkside being empire and you said in your general arrogant smug way yeah we get that you make terrible choices and have no creativity. That clearly is you saying I've only made darkside choices when the quote you were addressing was on that subject.

Yet another one of your many lies. Here’s the actual quote…

I for one would much rather they just went with dark choice as canon for empire players

Yeah, we know, you make terrible decisions and lack creativity. Thanks for reminding us.

You said they’d rather make the dark side choices canon for empire players. Nothing in your quote there has anything to do with your personal in game choices, thus I make no reference to your in game choices.

I responded to that by saying you make terrible decisions and lack creativity because forcing that upon players would be a terrible decision and lacks creativity. You suggesting that Bioware do that is you making a terrible decision/choice. Has absolutely nothing to do with your in game choices, just your terrible life choices.

Anyone/Everyone reading this/that except you understands exactly what I’m talking about.

What a surprise that you didn’t quote/poste the actual quote, just like I said you wouldn’t.

Seriously done with you

You’ve suggested that before, and have been proven to be a pathological liar so let’s see how this actually goes.

People play this game for the story and the fun factor. Now be honest, if a voice actor was replaced on one of your companions, would you really notice? The companions exist to pick things off of the ground and throw a heal your way when you do something stupid.

People play this game for the story and the fun factor. Now be honest, if a voice actor was replaced on one of your companions, would you really notice? The companions exist to pick things off of the ground and throw a heal your way when you do something stupid.

I totally agree. I could care less who voices them, I just want to know what happened.

Depends on the companion. Some no, some very much yes. Personally I love listening to my companions just as much as I enjoy listening to my characters. I poke them to hear them talk if I haven't heard them in a while. I run around Makeb to hear their area comments. I am annoyed that some quit commenting when they go and come back from crafting missions and that Nico has no pokes, and that some are STILL using the wrong voice when healing. I also hate the way FE/ET force you to use only one specific companion of their choosing. I don't find them interchangeable. Some I enjoy far more than others.

To me the issue is that most of the ones still missing were the core romance/marriage companions from before KotFE...

Not ever bringing them back and/or bringing closure just doesn't see like an option for the Devs. It would be a major fail from a story telling perspective which is one of the things this game is all about.

Depends on the companion. Some no, some very much yes. Personally I love listening to my companions just as much as I enjoy listening to my characters. I poke them to hear them talk if I haven't heard them in a while. I run around Makeb to hear their area comments. I am annoyed that some quit commenting when they go and come back from crafting missions and that Nico has no pokes, and that some are STILL using the wrong voice when healing. I also hate the way FE/ET force you to use only one specific companion of their choosing. I don't find them interchangeable. Some I enjoy far more than others.

Same! I turned down music and attack noise, just to make sure none of that interferes with their comments. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.