Writting the obituary for GSF

philwil

I was recently chatting with a veteran pilot and was given permission by this person to use one of his replies to me. No names are going to be mentioned.

"I recently conducted a little experiment on Harb. I made a fresh character named XX, and flew only stock ships for fifty matches. I wanted to see what I could accomplish personally, given the limitations, and also what sort of opposition I would be slotted in against. I was somewhat surprised to find that only one game out of the fifty was a 3-cap Veteran Premade Vs. Nothin But Noobs mess. Coincidentally it was the very first game on that character. Of the other 49, I rarely saw more than one or two vets combined from both sides. XX was in 2 of them on largely unskilled teams, XX was in a number of them, XX once or twice. Otherwise it was consistently people who looked like they were still figuring things out, and not the 'usual suspects' I'd expect to encounter when playing as XX."

That's not to say this is what happens to all pilots all the time, but something to think about.

Yep.

My 'experiment' involves 14 toons..on average of 40 games a piece (560 games) a various times through the day and night. There are toons of mine on pub side that I dont even complete the weekly on because of time limitations. Like I said, the one day/night...i completed weeklies on 4 imp toons....and during that time frame 6 matches out of seven for one pub toon. Which,by chance has a 38 percent winning percentage. My worst imp side has about 65...best imp side is at 85 percent. My best pub side is about 60. most of my pubs are below 50.

It is about timing possibly.

I think it also has to do with the amount of CXP you get as a bomber, since you get medals just for staying on the cap point. And if it's a heavily contested cap point, you can get a lot of kill+assist medals as well.

I find myself playing bomber for CXP rather than fun.

You sir..i think hit the nail on the head.

I never thought of that, actually.

I was looking at it with the perspective of them just being jerks about it.

Re-assessing my view point.

GSF population decline is like climate change. There are the deniers, the believers who don't care, the believers who care, and the zealots.

The deniers see GSF as not in decline, with the CXP crowd, as they see there is no global warming, with the onset of winter. Some believers expect they will be gone from the game anyway by the time GSF is totally dead, so they just keep farming those noobs for all they are worth. Most of us, I should think, believe and do the little bits for the GSF environment to let others have some fun while enjoying the matches ourselves. And then there are the zealots who make unreasonable accusations and demands.

But..they ARE easy wins against said inexperienced players with barely, or no upgrades at all.

This is what I speak of. Not against a mass armada of vets. I have seen vets use the easy way by bombing. 'when no one is looking' because all my toons are not known.

I have moved my known/maxed toons off server to start anew. I do this every so often to remind of the grind it is to level these monsters.

Bomber spam has been so prevalent on harbinger..that my new toons..i paid to convert ship req to fleet req and used that to max out my gs's ion to max.

Bomber spam is not an easy win button. In a team of 4, the optimal comp is usually 2 blc scouts, 1 ion GS, and one beacon bomber in domination. 2 gs, 1 scout, and 1 repair bomber in tdm.

As we speak..bomber spam after bomber spam.....serious IMP domination over Pubs on Harbinger is going to kill it

Really? I play on Harb and all I see is gunship spam.

Also, lost 3 in a row to Pubs last night.

Edited by Vember

I can tell you on harbringer its not completely the ships that are the problem. I've been seeing a lot of pilots in domination matches fighting way off sats, not listening to people calling to take sats, and especially not saying anything when a sat is in trouble. Its a problem that has gotten worse especially with command xp out now. You're throwing in people just flying to get points and not caring whether they help the team or not which is sad.

I can tell you on harbringer its not completely the ships that are the problem. I've been seeing a lot of pilots in domination matches fighting way off sats, not listening to people calling to take sats, and especially not saying anything when a sat is in trouble. Its a problem that has gotten worse especially with command xp out now. You're throwing in people just flying to get points and not caring whether they help the team or not which is sad.

The problem is never ships, it's always people. I doubt CXP has brought a big change to GSF, it's just that more players means more new players and more jerks. Same percentages as before though (except for new players, there's more now than ever).

I never responded to OP in this thread, so I'm going to take the chance to do so now.

1. Spawn camping noobs in TDM, by supposedly 'ace' pilots.

Spawn camping happens. You can avoid it if you want to, some people don't want to though. You can do something about it - group up, log on the opposing faction and beat them. Other than that, you really can't do anything. It's not against the rules, it's not ToS breaking or anything. Tl;dr - complaining about it will probably achieve nothing, unless you think said campers are doing so because they didn't know people don't enjoy it.

2. 3 capping noobs with bomber spam..by supposedly 'ace' pilots.

I'm of the camp that prefers a stomp to end as quickly as possible. I'm not averse to 3-caps. Even if I were, I don't see why it matters if they were 3-capped with bombers or scouts. A superior team will stomp a weak one regardless of comp and you know it. Again, if you want to make a difference group up and beat them.

3. Multiple aces (friends) teaming up on one side for hours, not a care in the world about switching sides to 'share the wealth'. While th opposing sides loses match after match. Generally..with the team of aces..other aces show up..so..near a full 12 man ace team against constant noobs or near noobs.

This is generally a Harb problem I think. I have no problem with premades, but on Harb it always seems like a single match will determine the outcome of the next couple of hours - people always swap to the winning side. A simple solution? Premades... Yes, group up and beat them.

I agree that players should want to balance out queues for their own joy, but there's not a lot I can do if some guys enjoy stomps. I can't change them, I can just prevent the stomps from happening.

Also, the hyperbole in the thread title is reminiscent of all the 'SWTOR is dying' harbingers. GSF is not dead, and even if t completely died on Harb I wouldn't mind. On other servers it flourishes, and that's enough for me.

• 3 weeks later...

this is my view of gsf. it really is garbage when the same 5 guys get all the kills and damage. i think there running some kind of hack honestly . lets give this example and tell me if im wrong. a person on imp side come out in a scout and constantley 1 shot kills the entire republic team, then turns around heals up and come back and continues to 1 shot and entire team.. no can hit him because he has some magical evasion i have never seen before. at the end of the match 10-40 kills. tell me if thats fun having to deal with. pvp is the same. both are not fun at all and miserable when you cant do anything but die the whole match.

I have seen people shooting though walls,

1 second missile locks,

1 shot kills

magical engine and gun energy drain from 16000m

guys rubberbanding with convient lag spikes where you cant hit them but they can hit you.

and people flying around with infinite shields and hull health.

people who you cant hit no matter what you use and how close.

the best comment i heard is upgrade your ship- well get this the ship is maxed already

this is my view of gsf. it really is garbage when the same 5 guys get all the kills and damage. i think there running some kind of hack honestly . lets give this example and tell me if im wrong. a person on imp side come out in a scout and constantley 1 shot kills the entire republic team, then turns around heals up and come back and continues to 1 shot and entire team.. no can hit him because he has some magical evasion i have never seen before. at the end of the match 10-40 kills. tell me if thats fun having to deal with. pvp is the same. both are not fun at all and miserable when you cant do anything but die the whole match.

1 second missile locks,

1 shot kills

guys rubberbanding with convient lag spikes where you cant hit them but they can hit you.

the best comment i heard is upgrade your ship- well get this the ship is maxed already

There is no cheating in GSF. Haven't witnessed any in 10,000 games played.

1 shot kills are from gunships that have damage overcharge (red orb pickup).

Instant missile locks are likely from seeker mines which are deployed by bombers.

Scouts with burst laser cannons and target telemetry or blaster overcharge can kill ships in 2-3 shots if they get critical hits. With the damage overcharge pickup (red orb) they can do it even faster.

Gunships shooting through walls is due to the gunship using advanced strafing moves. Hold shift and WASD to strafe. The lag can make it look like they shot through a wall, but they're really just strafing/shooting with high precision.

Missing multiple shots vs. Scouts is due to the game mechanic called evasion. The higher the evasion, the less likely you are to win the dice roll and land a shot. Use wingman co-pilot to help against this.

The mirage of "Infinite shields" is due to smart use of directional shields and/or F2 button and/or turbo reactor. Infinite hull is also impossible, but you are likely seeing repair probes, repair drone, and hydrospanner. Those all heal ship hull.

The magical energy zapper from 16000m is actually only 15000m and there are two terrific counters to it - booster recharge and power dive engine.

There are plenty of resources on this forum if you want to learn and get better.

Edited by RickDagles

1 second missile locks,

1 shot kills

Are you on JC? I've seen someone with a remarkably similar handle (I think just missing the 'h'). If not, ignore me, but if so - look me up in game (names in sig). I'd be happy to fly with you and see if I can catch some of this questionable activity live. If I see it, I can either try to explain it, or back up your accusations. But my perspective is the same as Siraka's: pretty much everything that looks like a hack can be explained by in-game mechanics, and/or lag. Lag can lead to some pretty weird stuff, including a couple of the things you mentioned.

Edited by MaximilianPower

OP, know that the factions are entirely lopsided on all the US servers. One faction pretty much wins all the time now and that won't change with CXP as we are stuck on our mains now.

The Fix: All the maps need to be tweaked so each side is a mix of Imp and Pubs like the newest PVP map. It would be prudent to have the voice overs to re-work saying every map is a training exercise against Zakuul. Randomly filling both teams with Imps and Pubs would liven everything up.

OP, know that the factions are entirely lopsided on all the US servers. One faction pretty much wins all the time now and that won't change with CXP as we are stuck on our mains now.

The Fix: All the maps need to be tweaked so each side is a mix of Imp and Pubs like the newest PVP map. It would be prudent to have the voice overs to re-work saying every map is a training exercise against Zakuul. Randomly filling both teams with Imps and Pubs would liven everything up.

I think factions go back and forth especially on Harbringer. I see the empire winning for a bit then it switches and then its the pubs winning. The pub/imp tag teams wouldn't make much sense early in the game, especially if its someone new and hasn't been through the stories. Can you see someone doing gsf and it mentions joint wargame for zakullian forces? They'd be, "What in the heck?" See what I mean? Because if they're in the early stories, its the Republic and Empire war. Now I'd like to see Zakullian ships(unlockable until in fallen storyline) in gsf, but it won't happen now.

Because it's a stat called evasion and if you use DF and RI you can be virtually impossible to hit. You're probably talking about Nyaah, who's a really good GSF'er and PvE'er.

It's called strafing. I do this in my clarion jousts now and it screws with aforementioned BLC scouts. They're moving in and out of cover with shift+WASD.

1 second missile locks,

Cluster missiles, or convenient lag.

1 shot kills

Really good crit and shield bypass, or damage overcharge.

Tier (4 I think?) Perk for Ion Railgun

*Points to self* Earthlink internet.

No such thing. I can regenerate my shields really fast on my Clarion by swapping them.

As for hull health, that's 99% Damage reduction which is available on some ships (and others can get close). That's mitigated by weapons with armor piercing, like slug railgun, rocket pods, and burst laser/heavy laser cannons.

Not all weapons are optimized for close range. Most of the lasers work best at medium range (4000-6000m). Only BLC works that close, and even then evasion will negate your accuracy.

Also, there are weird things with the hitboxes sometimes, IIRC.

Just because it's maxxed doesn't mean you built it right and have the right crew.

I'm on all the time. You see me playing with Traesha, and you see Zuck too. Come talk to us, we're helpful.

~ Eudoxia

Edited by FlavivsAetivs

• 3 weeks later...
Seconded.

Let it burn as far as I'm concerned. Not my problem. The Shadowlands is better than ever.

I agree Shadowlands is awesome we have great matches, neither side is dominating the other. I always get in a 4 group just so I have regulars playing in each match. We make the wins and loses fun to play, and don't whine about the outcome.

Edited by Dekkon