Is the Subscriber Reward Program dead?

Aowin

One of the best additions to SWTOR was the implementation of the Subscriber Reward Program. It was nice to have a system in place that would reward SWTOR's most dedicated fans on a relatively frequent basis with neat items and great incentives.

From rewards ranging from Nico Okarr, Shae Vizla, HK-55, the HK-55 Bonus Chapter, and much more, BioWare has provided many with more and more reasons to stay subscribed and maintain a subscription for longer periods of time.

Since the release of KOTET, we have not heard anything about future plans with regards to the Subscriber Reward Program. It was intrinsically tied to the monthly chapter updates we had in KOTFE, but those are not returning in KOTET. Is this something BioWare will plan on addressing in the January Producer Live Stream, or is the Subscriber Reward Program good as dead?

Does anybody else want to see this feature of SWTOR return?

Didn't they just have one for the recent expansion?

I made reference to that with "Shae Vizla." My point is with KOTFE we knew ahead of time that there would be a subscriber reward program for the upcoming year. Outside of the "pre-order" items we got for KOTET, there has been no indication that the Subscriber Reward Program will continue. I'm wondering whether or not this is just something BioWare will talk about later or if they just don't have any plans.

oh like how they pulled the fast one about being subbed for all 5 years to get a decor no one else can get, and probably knowing full well next year it'll be the same for all 6 years which entices people not to stay subbed?

No... I don't think you understand what I'm asking. With the release of KOTFE, we generally received some sort of new item every month as a reward for being a subscriber. The Subscriber Reward Program was tied to the monthly chapters that KOTFE had. Since we are not getting monthly chapters, and there is no indication we are getting subscriber rewards beyond the ones that initially released with KOTET, I'm wondering if we'll see anything for the future.

For me, personally, subscriber rewards provide an extra incentive to subscribe. If there is nothing to look forward to, there is a very high chance I will probably just unsubscribe until the next expansion hits with new story content or something else compelling. Especially with the gear changes coming in 5.1, it won't take very long, more than likely, to get the best gear in the game. There won't be any reason to stay subscribed once all group content (which so far will be five new uprisings) is exhausted.

The Subscriber Reward Program "reward of the month" is you get to grind 3 year old content for CXP and RNG vendor trash.

Feel special yet?

All The Best

This is not about feeling "special." This is about having a greater incentive to maintain my subscription. Otherwise, with no new story chapters and likely not very compelling group content on the way, I'll probably just unsubscribe until the next expansion. I don't want to do that, but I see the current iteration of SWTOR getting pretty fast once I get the top gear set via PvP in 5.1. Uprisings are not enough to hold my attention for long and whatever else BioWare has in store is likely not going to be much better (I seriously doubt it's an operation and I wouldn't even want that).

This is not about feeling "special." This is about having a greater incentive to maintain my subscription.

The incentive being that you feel valued as a customer - feeling special.

I'm not knocking it, I am just calling it what it is.

I unsubbed for 2 reasons: 1) I totally disagree with deliberately extended RNG gear grinds (and that is all Galactic Command is) and 2) I do not feel that I am being offered any incentive to stay subbed - that is I do not feel like a valued customer.

All The Best

I don't want to do that, but I see the current iteration of SWTOR getting pretty fast once I get the top gear set via PvP in 5.1.

It won't.

They've made it quite clear they want us locked into long drawn our grinds, all 5.1 will do is reduce some of the RNG element is obtaining gear. It will not, I predict, significantly reduce the time-sink element of gearing up.

They need us grinding long and arduous grinds to hide the lack of any real new content.

All The Best

It won't.

They've made it quite clear they want us locked into long drawn our grinds, all 5.1 will do is reduce some of the RNG element is obtaining gear. It will not, I predict, significantly reduce the time-sink element of gearing up.

They need us grinding long and arduous grinds to hide the lack of any real new content.

All The Best

We all know you're bitter. Wouldn't your time be better spent looking into a new hobby? After all once the server resets the forum, you'll need to do something other than complain about swtor. Unless of course you can't help yourself so you go to reddit

It won't.

All The Best

Maybe you should go outside for a while dude. It seems like all you do is complain about the game and try to steer completely unrelated threads into biowarebashing. We get that you're dissatisfied but if it's that stressful you really should just stop playing and stop posting. Find something to do that doesn't make you want to spread misery and dissent everywhere you go.

You can't even answer simple questions or participate in fun threads about the game without bringing your issues into it or acting as though Bioware staff personally came to your house and disemboweled your favourite grandparent right in front of you. That kind of negativity hurts you and your life more than it bothers the gigantic company at which its aimed. At the end of the day you need to take a breath and realize that it's just a freakin' game and it shouldn't cause you this much bother.

From what I remember, apart from the release of KOTFE chapters 10-16, which were heralded in advance with several "break-points" for different rewards, and again with KOTET for those two rewards (not the DvL rewards, I mean Shae and the Walker) these have always been announced along with the content.

I don't think they can realistically start offering the rewards BEFORE the content is announced and I am sure, since they have with every release, they will include some little freebie or other.

On a side note:

I do hope to god they don't do the 5 yr sub thing again... I'd be interested in exactly how many people received those, I cant imagine outside of the odd one or two, who prolly don't even play the game anymore and simply forgot to cancel the sub, it would have been that many. Over the course of 5 yrs, your cc is likely to have changed more than once and well, that's how subs get missed :/

I'd be much happier with something attainable for all, especially given how people drift in and out of the game... like maybe based on the /played time of a char or accumulative across alts on a server? or similar?

Edited by leehambly

We all know you're bitter. Wouldn't your time be better spent looking into a new hobby? After all once the server resets the forum, you'll need to do something other than complain about swtor. Unless of course you can't help yourself so you go to reddit

With this IP and the initial investment levels SWtOR could (and arguably SHOULD) have been the "WoW Killer" so many claimed it would be.

With this IP, and the number of serious fans of the IP worldwide, it should be almost impossible to screw this game up; and yet that is exactly what Bioware Austin are managing to do.

Why? Because they think this is "their game" and the only opinion that matter is theirs; when as anyone who has ever designed and delivered a product for sale knows the moment the product is released to the public it becomes the customers' and they have expectations and because they buy the product and so pay your wages their expectations trump your own.

Do I consider badly timed mob-zergs on 3 year old map content as "new content"? No I don't.

Do I consider that approximately 6 hours gameplay through KotET chapters worthy of an ongoing monthly sub? No, I do not.

Do I consider a deliberately extended RNG grind fest to be an appropriate substitute for "new content"? No, I do not.

Having already failed, spectacularly, to deliver an RNG gear process once, do I think repeating the same mistake is a) appropriate use of development resources, or b) evidence of decision making competence? No, I do not.

I have LOVED the Star Wars universe since the first time I saw A New Hope in 1978 (yes I know it released in 77, but it didn't make it cinemas near me until 78).

Looking back at where this game has gone with KotFE and KotET can you really say you think the Devs love the game in the same way that Star Wars fans do? I don't think you can.

With each subsequent KotFE/KotET chapter the game felt less and less like Star Wars and more and more like "Keeping Up With The Valkorions". The Valkorion family is the Dev's pet vanity project, and like most vanity projects it is harming the bottom line, not helping it. Is this really what the very best Sci-Fi IP out there deserves? I think not.

So yes, I'm a bit angry, disappointed, saddened and at time utterlys disgusted with that Bioware is doing to this game, amd I guess under strict definitions of such you could say that mean I am a tad bitter.

Can you blame me?

All The Best

That kind of negativity hurts you and your life more than it bothers the gigantic company at which its aimed.

So why did EA feel it necessary to issue a survey to find out why people are unsubbing en masse?

All The Best

Edited by DarthSpuds

So why did EA feel it necessary to issue a survey to find out why people are unsubbing en masse?

All The Best

Probably because that's the only way they're going to get feedback that doesn't contain threats or people calling for them to get fired. Apparently everyone has forgotten how to be a decent human being and provide feedback in a polite and logical manner. Even then there's still no reason for you to be bringing negativity and bitterness into even unrelated threads and making it very clear that you're determined to do nothing but complain. If it's that bad stop playing and go experience real life for a while.

Nope. I'd prefer content.

Oh, and this?

Especially with the gear changes coming in 5.1, it won't take very long, more than likely, to get the best gear in the game.

This might be my new signature quote, as it's about as ridiculous as my current one.

Edited by gabigool

Haven't heard anything to say there'll be Sub rewards in the near feature but you never know what they may announce come January. Keep your eyes open is the best I can suggest.

I'm personally not too concerned with receiving rewards, a lot of the HK-55 disappeared straight into the trash (though it was a nice touch I'll give 'em that). It would have to be something really special and unique for me to subscribe/re-subscribe based solely on some kind of reward.

If it's that bad stop playing and go experience real life for a while.

I haven't logged in since the Livestream car-crash where Ben and Charles basically said "we think RNG is exciting, so screw you, you are going to have to suck it up".

Nor will I log in again as long as RNG is a significant part of the end-game gearing process.

All The Best

With this IP and the initial investment levels SWtOR could (and arguably SHOULD) have been the "WoW Killer" so many claimed it would be.

With this IP, and the number of serious fans of the IP worldwide, it should be almost impossible to screw this game up; and yet that is exactly what Bioware Austin are managing to do.

Why? Because they think this is "their game" and the only opinion that matter is theirs; when as anyone who has ever designed and delivered a product for sale knows the moment the product is released to the public it becomes the customers' and they have expectations and because they buy the product and so pay your wages their expectations trump your own.

Do I consider badly timed mob-zergs on 3 year old map content as "new content"? No I don't.

Do I consider that approximately 6 hours gameplay through KotET chapters worthy of an ongoing monthly sub? No, I do not.

Do I consider a deliberately extended RNG grind fest to be an appropriate substitute for "new content"? No, I do not.

Having already failed, spectacularly, to deliver an RNG gear process once, do I think repeating the same mistake is a) appropriate use of development resources, or b) evidence of decision making competence? No, I do not.

I have LOVED the Star Wars universe since the first time I saw A New Hope in 1978 (yes I know it released in 77, but it didn't make it cinemas near me until 78).

Looking back at where this game has gone with KotFE and KotET can you really say you think the Devs love the game in the same way that Star Wars fans do? I don't think you can.

With each subsequent KotFE/KotET chapter the game felt less and less like Star Wars and more and more like "Keeping Up With The Valkorions". The Valkorion family is the Dev's pet vanity project, and like most vanity projects it is harming the bottom line, not helping it. Is this really what the very best Sci-Fi IP out there deserves? I think not.

So yes, I'm a bit angry, disappointed, saddened and at time utterlys disgusted with that Bioware is doing to this game, amd I guess under strict definitions of such you could say that mean I am a tad bitter.

Can you blame me?

All The Best

All good points in this post. I can tell that you're very passionate about Star Wars. Yes, you have every right to be upset. I truly hope they get back to individual stories sometime soon. There's really nowhere to go with the Eternal Empire story now, and in fact may have gone too far to recover back to where each class gets their own story that makes sense. I mean, what am I going to do now,

abdicate the throne and go back to adventuring?

Spuds, if you wrote like this more often you wouldn't come off so bitter and negative. You raise completely valid points very well when you write this way.

As to the original topic... subscriber rewards wouldn't be the worst thing for Bioware to do. I don't think an ugly helmet would offset the damage the GC system has done to many, but it's a sign of good faith. But for the love of all that is holy, NEVER release content as a sub bonus again.

One of the best additions to SWTOR was the implementation of the Subscriber Reward Program. It was nice to have a system in place that would reward SWTOR's most dedicated fans on a relatively frequent basis with neat items and great incentives.

From rewards ranging from Nico Okarr, Shae Vizla, HK-55, the HK-55 Bonus Chapter, and much more, BioWare has provided many with more and more reasons to stay subscribed and maintain a subscription for longer periods of time.

Since the release of KOTET, we have not heard anything about future plans with regards to the Subscriber Reward Program. It was intrinsically tied to the monthly chapter updates we had in KOTFE, but those are not returning in KOTET. Is this something BioWare will plan on addressing in the January Producer Live Stream, or is the Subscriber Reward Program good as dead?

I would say subscriber rewards have been replaced by Galactic Command. That is the new way to entice continued subscription. Your reward is now, being able to earn CXP and the crates that come with it.

If you don't subscribe, no new end game gear.

Probably because that's the only way they're going to get feedback that doesn't contain threats or people calling for them to get fired. Apparently everyone has forgotten how to be a decent human being and provide feedback in a polite and logical manner. Even then there's still no reason for you to be bringing negativity and bitterness into even unrelated threads and making it very clear that you're determined to do nothing but complain. If it's that bad stop playing and go experience real life for a while.

You don't seriously believe it was purely a feedback tool do you? You think people that are angry here all of the sudden will write glowing soliloquies in a survey?

That survey and the two impromptu livestreams were an attempt to steer out of the wreck they had caused. The recent interviews from Ben have shown that GC has had a negative reaction. While there are def defenders of it and people that like it, in his own comments it acknowledges flaws and mistakes with it.

Those flaws and mistakes aren't just them noticing game metrics and coming to that conclusion. It comes form the metrics of cancellations and feedback from players.

And for arguments sake let's say majority of players like it. A system which 45% of players don't like and leave will destroy the game. So even if the "haters" are in the minority, they have to be addressed and satisfied so they stay.

That survey and the two impromptu livestreams were an attempt to steer out of the wreck they had caused. (...)

Can you back up this claim with a proof?

I have received and participated in Swtor surveys a couple of times before. I think something like once a year. It's just a basic survey and pretty much looked the same like the one from 2015.

As for the Subscriber Reward Program: I was wondering about it myself and would like to hear BW's stance on it.

You don't seriously believe it was purely a feedback tool do you? You think people that are angry here all of the sudden will write glowing soliloquies in a survey?

That survey and the two impromptu livestreams were an attempt to steer out of the wreck they had caused. The recent interviews from Ben have shown that GC has had a negative reaction. While there are def defenders of it and people that like it, in his own comments it acknowledges flaws and mistakes with it.

Those flaws and mistakes aren't just them noticing game metrics and coming to that conclusion. It comes form the metrics of cancellations and feedback from players.

And for arguments sake let's say majority of players like it. A system which 45% of players don't like and leave will destroy the game. So even if the "haters" are in the minority, they have to be addressed and satisfied so they stay.

I understand that people hate it and I see the flaws in it also. However a survey in which the only write-in answer is less than 300 characters is going to give them more feedback than a 1500 word essay describing how much the user hates GC and wants the staff to be fired. No they aren't going to get glowing reviews and they shouldn't. They also shouldn't be threatened or have people flinging personal insults at them and asking for their jobs to be taken away. The survey and live streams were absolutely to try and garner ideas as to how they can fix their monumental mistake. However I also think they were a way to get feedback from all sectors that was constructive and formatted in a way they could digest without basically being a sea of people throwing nothing but crap their way while those who felt differently were either overrun or shut down completely by the violent vocal parties. You can't honestly tell me that there's any sort of equality in these forums because there's not. If you like something that happens you're called a white knight, insulted, and anything you post is overrun with the negative rants that somehow all think they're more important than every other negative rant. That's why we have 20+ threads that essentially say the same dang thing on one page. No one is content to just post in the feedback thread, they have to make their own topic because their particular brand of vitriol is more important than everyon else's.

Even so, that's not what my original post was supposed to be about. My post had nothing to do with the changes or anyone else's feedback. It was disgust at one particular user who invades every single thread on the board whether related to the changes or not with nothing to say other than more negativity and hatred. There could be a thread that says "What's your favourite sandwich" and this guy would post "Well not GC sandwich! Blahblahblah bitterness and anger blahblah." That's just unhelpful for everyone and it's not healthy for him either. Clearly this GAME is causing him a significant amount of distress and he needs to go do something else for a while. He claims to have unsubscribed but I for one anticipate seeing 50% of the people who say they're unsubbed still posting long after their "Subs have expired".