Just when you think BioWare can't get anymore senseless...

ArkhaanPremiare

They prove you wrong by making all the content you just got done replayable, but not any of the pre-KOTFE content. We should be able to replay our Class stories by chapter. And no, I don't meant start the crap over from the chosen chapter. I mean allow us to replay a sole chapter just for the sake of replaying it. It wouldn't effect our saved data. Edited by ArkhaanPremiare

They prove you wrong by making all the content you just got done replayable, but not any of the pre-KOTFE content. We should be able to replay our Class stories by chapter. And no, I don't meant start the crap over from the chosen chapter. I mean allow us to replay a sole chapter just for the sake of replaying it. It wouldn't effect our saved data.

I know. One of my favourite features of Star Trek Online was that I could replay any story mission I wanted, whenever I wanted.

Why make the Valkorion family soap opera repeatable but not the real stories?

I know. One of my favourite features of Star Trek Online was that I could replay any story mission I wanted, whenever I wanted.

I suspect it has to do with the fact that the current soapera has its own instances and it would take a lot more to do the same for the older stories that play in the open world with partial instancing.

Having said that it's still disappointing but then I would still want class stories to come back. Just cause BWA may not have the budget or stamina for that, doesn't mean I don't still want it. It was a unique selling point and they've moved on from that.

And it's particularly senseless when you consider that the quality of the early game, the part from level 1-50, is vastly superior.

Edited by ElZaguero

This! I so want this - I love original class stories and would love to re play them. I know I can just roll an alt, but that is not the same - some characters are locked for me in my mind as MY inquisitor for example and I don't want to roll a new one, just see the story again... I can do without replaying the FE ever again, I would love to re play the class stories.

I guess " Go back and play your favorite chapters" was not what was really meant or intended.

Was really hoping, and looking forward to re-playing original story chapters, only to be disappointed when I looked at the chapters in the GC interface.

Would be nice if this happens. I have a hard time going through KotFE/KotET more than once, let alone repeating.

They prove you wrong by making all the content you just got done replayable, but not any of the pre-KOTFE content. We should be able to replay our Class stories by chapter. And no, I don't meant start the crap over from the chosen chapter. I mean allow us to replay a sole chapter just for the sake of replaying it. It wouldn't effect our saved data.

For the devs it was probably much easier to do it with the KOTFE and KOTET chapters than it might be to do with the original class stories. The dev team has to deal with all the technical issues that you have no clue about.

They also have to keep in mind how to best use their limited resources, time and money.

Edited by JediRelentless

I suspect it has to do with the fact that the current soapera has its own instances and it would take a lot more to do the same for the older stories that play in the open world with partial instancing.

No. They just need to reset all the quest flags, that's it. The only difference is that our class story consists of many small quests which would all need to be reset, whereas KotFE and KotET content is usually just one long quest per chapter that consists of multiple stages. It would be a bit more work to reset all quests, but it would definitely be possible.

The only thing that might be a problem is what OP is suggesting: that replaying a class story shouldn't affect our saved choices. I think that might be too much work, because if you want to keep the story consistent in itself during a replay you'd need to save the replay data in seperate files which would be a ridiculous amount of work. Why should a replay not affect our saved data anyway, what purpose would that serve? If you don't want your choices to change then just make the same choices again... but some people might want to know what happens when you do it differently.

Edited by DynamiCtagez

No. They just need to reset all the quest flags, that's it. The only difference is that our class story consists of many small quests which would all need to be reset, whereas KotFE and KotET content is usually just one long quest per chapter that consists of multiple stages. It would be a bit more work to reset all quests, but it would definitely be possible.

The only thing that might be a problem is what OP is suggesting: that replaying a class story shouldn't affect our saved choices. I think that might be too much work, because if you want to keep the story consistent in itself during a replay you'd need to save the replay data in seperate files which would be a ridiculous amount of work. Why should a replay not affect our saved data anyway, what purpose would that serve? If you don't want your choices to change then just make the same choices again... but some people might want to know what happens when you do it differently.

I don't think you're right still. Resetting the quest flags isn't enough. Also don't forget that some choices make a difference on what happens next. The agent story comes to mind that has multiple possible endings for example.

In the end the soapera stories have their own environment that was essentially created to be able to support replayability. The amount of issues that need to be resolved for the core stories to work that way can be signficant. Also, as a next step people will of course ask for the stories to be available in Veteran and Mastery modes. I think that will cause even more issues and they may also simply not take step 1 in order to not get to step 2 in that sense.

Now, considering the amount of alts you can create, I've never felt I need the stories to be replayable. I was just happy that the 8 different stories gave replay value because you can vary between them and not get bored with them as quickly as with the later stories.

But whatever, bottom line is that for whichever reasons, it's probably more work than it's worth to them to do this.

The reason here is simple really..... KoTFE and KoTET were designed to allow for replay. The original class stories were not designed that way. So they would require redesign.

Do you really want them to divert resources into redoing all 8 class story arcs so they are replayable? Really? With all the other issues we have with 5.0 that they are working to stabilize... I don't. Nor do I want to see them cut content plans for 6.0 in order to do so. Players are already complaining that we do not get enough new content in 4.0 or 5.0 expacs.... your need would just make matters worse.

But how are quests replayable if our choices matter?

Or is only the first time through that your choices are saved?

Like what happens if I redo that one mission where people may or may not die depending on what I chose?

The choices of your first run-through will be locked for later "consequences". Your choices on replays don't matter, and afaik don't even carry over into the next chapter.

But how are quests replayable if our choices matter?

Or is only the first time through that your choices are saved?

Like what happens if I redo that one mission where people may or may not die depending on what I chose?

Your choices the first time through are locked-in. Replay of a chapter is NOT to change your choices.. it's to replay he chapter for he sake of replay.

The whole of the KotFE and KotET storylines could be repackaged, and sold in the Cartel Market no doubt, as a special pay-per-view deal "Star Wars: The Old Republic Redux - Keeping Up With The Valkorions".

Because that was about how well written and entertaining it was.

All The Best

Edited by DarthSpuds