Please consider opening cross-faction communication (RPers look here!)

Mirura

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta agree wholeheartedly on this one. Not being able to chat OOCly with my buddies, to discuss RP plots or arrange places to meet without having to outside the game to do so, is a massive pain in the backside.

Sure, leave it disabled on PvE/PvP servers; but it only serves to stifle communication on the RP ones.

Hell, we could even make IC chat channels for holonet communications...

I am in favor of this; I understand there might be technical limitations, but I don't see why at least the /emote issue couldn't be addressed. Custom channels that are accessible to both factions would also be really handy, especially if they have the ability to be password protected.

Good post Mirura, I hope it gets some attention!

Could you at least read my post through? I'm asking to only allow this feature for Roleplaying servers where harrassment would be a far, far smaller issue and it would be very beneficial to the community. RP servers already operate on an altered ruleset and there's many enough of them to justify putting the exception to use. :) My very least request is to open up /emote, which is currently disabled too, and which bears practically no difference to /say as it's local. Right now in cross-faction RP we're forced to switch to /say only when people from the other side are present.

I did read it, but there will still be harassment and will then cause more issues that in-game GMs will need to deal with.

Besides, if you give it to one server type, there will be uproar from the others that they also want it.

I agree with you on emote however, though if they open it up, it needs to be on ALL servers.

Edited by Mandrax

I would *love* to see this done on all servers, but since I know Bioware has serious concerns over the harrassment, I'd be happy with just designated RP servers as a compromise. Hence why I approached it from the RP angle.

The problem is you're assuming RP players will use it nicely. As it stands now there is no special moderation on RP servers, they don't enforce naming conventions or in character channels, hell we don't even have a /ooc. I play on Ebon Hawk and I have to disagree with OP. Yes they speak the same language, but communications channels are encrypted or w/e if you want an in universe spin. Out of universe it will become a nightmare cesspool of **** talk. :/

I did read it, but there will still be harassment and will then cause more issues that in-game GMs will need to deal with.

Besides, if you give it to one server type, there will be uproar from the others that they also want it.

I agree with you on emote however, though if they open it up, it needs to be on ALL servers.

+1 for it needs to be on all servers.

If RPer's get to say "Have at thee foul Sith!" I want to be able to say "lolololumadbro?"

Point being though. Every server would be a cluster**** of harassment.

I think this would be helpful, even for non-roleplayers. I'm thinking of something as simple as me playing on a Sith character and a friend logs on to a Republic character. I'd like to group up and play, but as it stands now, neither of us would know the other one is online. A cross-faction friend ability or a cross-faction chat channel would help with this a great deal.

I would like to take this a step further and have the ability to globally friend/ignore people. That way we don't have to play alt-roulette where we have to log on every combination of alts we have to friend each other. Maybe even provide a hide feature for when people want to play solo and not show up in anyone's list.

I agree with the cross-faction emotes, and channels. Channels are not something we can join accidentally anyways...

Not sure how easy it is to implement tells to friends only. But open tells to anyone, definitely a no no. If tells to friends only can be implemented, then sure, that too.

And this should be on all servers. People that do not use channels, would not even know about this, so it would not affect them.

I agree with this request - even if only on PvE servers

Benefits are:

- being able to talk to alt-happy friends, no matter which side they happen to be playing

- being able to organise flashpoint groups more easily

- being able to organise server-wide events for both sides

- getting to know all the players on the server, if we have a single global channel

At minimum, this should be an option for Custom Channels

Cross faction tells and emotes just cause cross faction griefing on pvp servers and that's why it's not there.

No it doesn't... People cause cross faction griefing

Besides is it really that big of a deal for someone to just right click or use the /block command if someone is textually annoying you ?

I didn't know this censorship between rebs & imps existed, for some reason I thought /pvp was a comms channel between both sides but now I know the 2 factions can't talk to each other it really dissapoints me.

All thanks to typical knee jerk reactions over people who get upset by mere words :(

I beg to differ.

I've had very positive experiences with completely free cross-faction communication on previous games I've played..

Totally irrelevent.. Sorry.. It doesn't matter what experiences you had in other games.. This isn't other games.. They already tried it in the beta and it didn't go so well.. Just because you drive a Volks Wagon Jetta, doesn't mean you know anything about driving in Nascar.. Just because they had it in other game doesn't mean it will work here.. WOW didn't have it for the same reasons.. It also isn't in the lore either.. Don't RP'ers care about lore?? :rolleyes:

I agree that chat should be open to all. Also, trade should be -- what good smuggler doesn't trade with half of the galaxy? If harassment is the only problem, then that's why Ignore functions are there.

Also, many games didn't have these restrictions (EQ), but now we can't even talk to those old friends if they made a Dark character. Open chat alsO fits perfectly lorewise (hello Palpatine corrupting Annakin).

I'm pretty sure Luke and Vader managed to communicate body language to each other and see or interpret each other's gestures and emotions. Hence /emote, which was the least I was asking for, and the one that really doesn't have any justification being blocked.

People between factions are also frequently shown communicating with one another through holodevices in movies, books, comics and games, even if it's just one side delivering a message to the other. They're still remotely in contact.

And there is contact in this game, at a local level. You can already use /say to communicate with the opposite faction which is more than a lot of games give you. As I already pointed out when there was more during beta, there were flamefests and general nasty behaviour. Roll that out to the masses and it would be a nightmare to manage, even if it was just on RP realms.

Edited by Mandrax

As said before, I'm not advocating opening public channels like General or Trade. Only private user-made channels that you need to go out of your way to join. This would already limit the scope.

Allowing /Emote would not increase harassment any more than /say does either. It's, however, a core tool in roleplay and having it restricted is damaging more than beneficial.

/Tell harassment could be dodged by requiring both people to be friendslisted before being able to communicate, as I said earlier. This way you couldn't send or receive any unsolicited /tells from the opposite side. Both would need to give their consent to the communication that way and people could opt out of it as easily as not doing anything.

I really can't see a downside to any of these as much as I try.

This has also been a big gripe of RPers in competing games on the market and TOR could really outshine its peers this way. It's already filling the void left by SWG and there's a huge roleplaying population in the game that consists of refugees from all over the place.

This would be a really great nod towards this notably large part of the playerbase.

All of this, pretty much. I see no downside to allowing cross-faction non local communication via private, user-created channels or /tell if both parties add each other to their friendlist.

I agree with this request - even if only on PvE servers

Benefits are:

- being able to talk to alt-happy friends, no matter which side they happen to be playing

- being able to organise flashpoint groups more easily

- being able to organise server-wide events for both sides

- getting to know all the players on the server, if we have a single global channel

At minimum, this should be an option for Custom Channels

This^

I'm part of a group that came here from another MMO and wanted to keep in contact with eachother, but the lack of cross-faction custom channels has hindered that significantly, because some of us play mostly Republic side and others play Empire side.

As others have pointed out, this should at least be applied to emotes and custom channels (since emotes are harmless* and you can't accidentally join a custom channel) on all servers, or at least RP and PvE ones.

* And even if emotes are used to taunt those in another faction, so what? Its a war. Warring factions don't taunt and grief eachother with gestures and stuff?

Edited by VisionStorm