Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Why romance instead of new things?

tummiswtor

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please tell me why you prefer ops? Some of us really enjoy the story. There's nothing wrong with that. If I didn't like the story, I'd unsub. I use to play wow. It was ok but it gets old after awhile. I love the story and cut scenes here. Wish we could have more story every month but I understand people like other things so I hope they spend time giving people what they want. I'd love to see a happier community. Hopefully they'll be more ops Edited by americanaussie

Tell me please, why people care about romance in this game? Paying and wanting romance with Arcann, Vailyn, Senya... companions instead of new activities in game like OPSes etc.?

Because they do. I'd love a Quinn/Wrath reunion and they'd probably zen me out enough to make me positive and upbeat for a few weeks (this is a hint Bioware Austin, bribe me with Quinn).

and OP can't be soloed . Some (a few I believe) have a story that some peoples wish they could do . Now you may ask why not just join a group ? the eternal question with the same eternal answer : Peoples don't want to space bar and certainly don't want to get yelled at or watever .

Giving up one won't guarantee the other.

It doesn't require the same development resources.

The amount of effort required is not the same.

People have personal preferences for content and playstyles.

More players are likely to use a companion than they are to run an operation.

Given how cliche the romances are, I'm not sure what's there to enjoy. They always looked to me as if 12 year olds wrote them.

As for romancing characters like Arcann?

Why? The guy attacked us, locked us into carbonite and almost killed us. That's the guy one shoves a lightsaber down the throat, not try to get in your bed.

Oh his toon is hot? Yeah, okay, this is where I back out, because people obsessing like that over characters (especially cartoon or CGI characters) are creepy.

Edited by Diefenbaker

Given how cliche the romances are, I'm not sure what's there to enjoy. They always looked to me as if 12 year olds wrote them.

Why? The guy attacked us, locked us into carbonite and almost killed us. That's the guy one shoves a lightsaber down the throat, not try to get in your bed.

Oh his toon is hot? Yeah, okay, this is where I back out, because people obsessing like that over characters (especially cartoon or CGI characters) are creepy.

Why romance Kaliyo and why romance Jaesa!!?! Why romance Vaylin?

Not everyone cares about the npc's that die in this game or what an NPC does to your toon.

People find different things interesting, for me that's Arcann.

Actually the nice version of him...is...pretty darn great. I'd have my toon romance him. :D

"And I have you." C'mon, who doesn't melt at that? :p

Actually the nice version of him...is...pretty darn great. I'd have my toon romance him. :D

"And I have you." C'mon, who doesn't melt at that? :p

People who don't do the light side story, and guys not being into other guys.:rak_03:

Edited by Eshvara

Okay You romanced with Senya, got a few sweet cutscenes... what's now? Paying 15$ to see that only? What You will do? Stay with companion in Your stronghold and enjoy of rest sub time? Or play 5 year content again with broken command system... I got in my guild few players that love to play alts and do ops, team wz etc. now they must do it on every character becouse command rank is not legacy. They waiting for respond from Bio and leave swtor. There's nothing new to do in group. Edited by tummiswtor

Okay You romanced with Senya, got a few sweet cutscenes... what's now? Paying 15$ to see that only? What You will do? Stay with companion in Your stronghold and enjoy of rest sub time? Or play 5 year content again with broken command system... I got in my guild few players that love to play alts and do ops, team wz etc. now they must do it on every character becouse command rank is not legacy. They waiting for respond from Bio and leave swtor. There's nothing new to do in group.

It's not like all you get is romance when you sub, the game has other things to offer too. Romance is one of those things. I find ops boring af, but I understand that others find it fun.

Edited by Eshvara

Okay You romanced with Senya, got a few sweet cutscenes... what's now? Paying 15$ to see that only? What You will do? Stay with companion in Your stronghold and enjoy of rest sub time? Or play 5 year content again with broken command system... I got in my guild few players that love to play alts and do ops, team wz etc. now they must do it on every character becouse command rank is not legacy. They waiting for respond from Bio and leave swtor. There's nothing new to do in group.

What now, let's see.....

solo:

Decorate the stronghold, acquire and unlock more armor sets to dress up my companions in ridiculous outifts.

Run heroics, run story which I like, again, even after having created at least 78th toon last night

group:

My guild is slowly building up running ops every Friday and Saturday night, and it's nice just to be able to be in voice chat facing a challenge together. We're a bunch of 30+ year olds (i'm 48) cutting up and having a good time while we fight.

There are things to do other than end game. I am getting all my crafters to RE to rating 228 and outfit them with crafted stuff, subsequently making GC armor crate drops irrelevant for me. I'm not trying to be more-uber-than-thou with my gear, so 228 is functional and perfectly acceptable for me.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Romance has always played a big parts in Bioware games, it was one of those added features that attracted many of us too it. Not by romance alone of course – but the added ‘umph’ it gave the story. It made your character more human; more believable that in a RPG people will engage in romance, or sexual encounters.

I’m not saying Bioware pioneered it. Though I recall my old games, Baulders gate, etc. It was there and it was fun. It wasn’t the center of the game but it was done well. Of course Bethesda continued with this in their new games – at least in regards to Fallout. And other RPGs have a similar hook line a sinker. We expect it in our games – otherwise… -looks at skyrim modding community- that happens.

Adding a romance is less work than planning in group content. There is no reason for both things not to co-exist and be worked upon.

And just a little food for thought. Check out the new Mass Effect; they are very serious about their new romance and fling system. Bioware things.

Edited by StarkHelsing

People like different things, simple as that. I love romances, class stories, story based expansions, companion content, and everything character and story driven. I've played this game since a few months after launch and I play it like any other single player BioWare game (because that's what it is, a SP BW game with 8 stories and a few multiplayer add-ons). I've never tried ops, pvp, starfighter, etc...nor would I ever care to. MMO combat is incredibly boring, grindy, and repetitive to me and I can't see any appeal in wanting to do any of those things.

What is with you girls and Lord Scourge?

The poor guy has lost all his senses except for sight and sound. He is most likely impotent. And centuries of immortality has left him with the most morose personality. What is it exactly about him that attracts women?

It's like all the fanboys drooling over Lady Sylvanas in wow. She's dead, stinks of rotting flesh and is as cold as an ice cube (both mentally and physically). Yet because she dresses scantily all the guys drool over her.

I think I'm getting old :(

What is with you girls and Lord Scourge?

The poor guy has lost all his senses except for sight and sound. He is most likely impotent. And centuries of immortality has left him with the most morose personality. What is it exactly about him that attracts women?

It's like all the fanboys drooling over Lady Sylvanas in wow. She's dead, stinks of rotting flesh and is as cold as an ice cube (both mentally and physically). Yet because she dresses scantily all the guys drool over her.

I think I'm getting old :(

1) That voice

2) That sith pureblood and body type 3

3) As women we like to fix things and you can't get more of an angsty, tragic, and broken story than Scourge's

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.