Update 5.0 & 5.0a, Screen Artifacts bug

Benekhar

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad I found this thread instead of starting a new one. I have been running in to this today.

AMD R9 390

I get artifacting/tearing for brief flashes. It was happening a lot to me in the Dromund Kaas Heroic 2 Shadow Spawn area, especially. I ran two characters through it today, and both had this happening.

Edited by Caulderone

I've got it too, mostly outdoors. It acts like I see a shadow of newly spawning npcs or mobs. A fast black shadow appears on the sky through the spawning point of npc (I don't mean actually newly spawning npcs, I mean the moment they appear on my sight range).

And I have GTX980.

After reading people's posts on things spawning... or popping up into your field of view. That's happening to me as well. Kinda thought I was just going crazy though.

Anyway... would probably benefit to go here, and post there as well. EAware seems aware of the issue, it's on their 'known issues' list. When it's going to fixed, or if it will be... no idea.

I've got it too, mostly outdoors. It acts like I see a shadow of newly spawning npcs or mobs. A fast black shadow appears on the sky through the spawning point of npc (I don't mean actually newly spawning npcs, I mean the moment they appear on my sight range).

And I have GTX980.

I have a GTX980 as well. And yes that is what I thought too.

Edited by Simdarion

WTH DUDE the "OP's" issue is NOT initially separate from what the AMD cards are doing! THEY ARE DOING EXACTLY THE SAME THING! All of us are experiencing the exact same artifacts under very similar circumstances.

After watching the videos I tend to agree it appears to be the same issue, the videos at this link with the dxdiags are getting sent back to the studio

I'm having the same issue on a Radeon 250x, thought my GPU was dying (Same glitching happened on my last one in other game before dying), although I'm glad to know that's not a hardware problem it does get annoying from time to time, furthermore, I've been having performance issues in places where I didn't used to, for example, I get huge FPS drops on the main square in the promanade, it would seem like a AMD realated thing.

I'm having the same issue on a Radeon 250x, thought my GPU was dying (Same glitching happened on my last one in other game before dying), although I'm glad to know that's not a hardware problem it does get annoying from time to time, furthermore, I've been having performance issues in places where I didn't used to, for example, I get huge FPS drops on the main square in the promanade, it would seem like a AMD realated thing.

Definitely not your gpu. I have a 280x, and it's happening to me as well. I did everything I could think of to fix it... to no avail. Even with AMD's newest drivers (came out on the 7th, I think)... still doing it. As annoying as it is... I've gotten used to it, and it's distracting sometimes. But I can ignore it, for the most part.

All we can do is wait for Bioware to fix it. Or AMD... which ever comes first. Just hope they do it sooner rather than later.

Also... there's this thread here on the EA help forum. If you want to post your stuff... but that's about all we can do for now.

Edited by GabbyMe

• 4 weeks later...
I am having the same artifacting on both my AMD build and NVidia build pc's that I have. The sky will sometimes glitch out and when npc's spawn in I get the stretched graphics sometimes. It only happens in outdoor open areas for me. I don't usually sub this game but I play SWTOR for a couple of months out of the year. Hopefully they'll fix this as the game worked fine the last time I played it.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi. I've the same problem here with graphic artifacts in SWTOR. It only happens in outdoor areas. And I only have graphic issues in SWTOR. I have Windows 10 64 bits and GeForce GTX 1060 updated both. Any help or news on this? Thanks in advance.

And I have GTX980.

That's exactly what I'm seeing too. Something is wrong since 5.0. I'm using a GTX 1080 and latest drivers.

That's exactly what I'm seeing too. Something is wrong since 5.0. I'm using a GTX 1080 and latest drivers.

Some thing else is at play , I too have a 1080 but cannot duplicate this issue , so i cant see this being a driver/game issue, unless a setting is different between systems, working out what and why is the hard part.

Screen artifacts are usually either caused by heat or overclocked video memory, I haven't tested if under clocking a 1080 with this issue makes any difference with this yet. trying to investigate further at this link

Edited by OwenBrooks

When is this screen artifact bug problem going to be fixed? I have been waiting so have others, PLZ BIOWARE fix game play is degrading, as of 2/28/2017 problem with graphics continue, what is being done ? I saw that the graphic issue will not be addressed this patch either Edited by doriscolleen
Time change

Ever since the updates I and other players have been experiencing screen artifacts. I have updated drivers, followed troubleshooting, but nothing has worked. I believe the is probably an issue with the update, not my computer. When will it be fixed?

I had the same problem like post #1, try to select fullscreen mode to fullscreen (windowed).

I am trying to work out how 2 people with a 1080 using the same driver , one has this and the other doesn't

open to thoughts ? either it is a game setting or there is something else going on

historically artifacts are usually heat / overclock related in directx games , software related one would think everyone has it.

I just added my dxdiag and screenshots of my video settings.

I play fullscreen, which I forgot to note.

My temp rarely exceeds 58 when in game. I monitor temps and fan with MSI Afterburner.

This never occurred before 5.0, but has been fairly consistent since then. The video in the linked EA Answers topic (2nd or 3rd post) shows basically what I see.

As noted in my prior post above, updated drivers did nothing to help.

• 2 weeks later...

This is ridiculous. I came back to the game after 5.0 and the graphical glitches, artifacts and dozens of completely random bugs and glitches make the experience completely unenjoyable. Why am I paying a subscription to a company which can't prioritize and fix this FUNDAMENTAL bug within the game? It literally removes the entire enjoyment from playing.

I am expecting to hear some sort of an ETA for a fix regarding this issue, or the subscription will be going off, EA.

I am trying to work out how 2 people with a 1080 using the same driver , one has this and the other doesn't

In the case of the 1080 cards this issue appears to be occurring whilst in fullscreen mode , when in fullscreen (window) it doesn't appear to occur or if it does it is certainly not as prevalent as fullscreen mode.

tested this on my system on a area on Tatooine , Fullscreen got the flashes/artifacts , fullscreen (window) no flashes/artifacts. so different cards may be different

This has been passe to the studio

Edited by OwenBrooks

In the case of the 1080 cards this issue appears to be occurring whilst in fullscreen mode , when in fullscreen (window) it doesn't appear to occur or if it does it is certainly not as prevalent as fullscreen mode.

I always played in fullscreen windowed using a 1080 card and the artifacts are constant, especially when you are traveling fast (mounts, taxis, etc). Switching to fullscreen doesn't change that but I noticed that they appear less with vsync off, which I don't like because of the low performance feeling and stuttering on my monitor.

Edited by Kalor-Vhan

I always played in fullscreen windowed using a 1080 card and the artifacts are constant, especially when you are traveling fast (mounts, taxis, etc). Switching to fullscreen doesn't change that but I noticed that they appear less with vsync off, which I don't like because of the low performance feeling and stuttering on my monitor.

odd in fullscreen (window) i cant get them, if vsynch is enabled when you switch to fullscreen (window) it still holds fps at 60 maybe this is contributing ?

reference stutter on the 1080 go to the nvidia control panel and find or create a profile for swtor.exe and set pre-rendered frames to 1

Edited by OwenBrooks