can't FULLY quit the game

thorrnnn

This has been listed in the known issues sticky (link)

can everyone confirm logging to character select prior to trying to quit the game helps ?

It did work couple of times for me; the black screen still comes up, but after a while windows seems to be able to close it, it's not endless... if it was by chance not sure, will make some more tries to confirm.

I have the same problem getting a black screen after quit game. The only thing I can do is press win key and restart the computer. Using Win 10.

For Windows 10, press the Windows key and the D key. That takes you back to your desktop. From there you can go to Task Manager, or just close the minimized SWTOR window from the Windows Taskbar (or whatever the long bar at the bottom of the screen is called -- start bar? task bar?).

Edited by Trynitris

I'm having this same issue. In a way, I'm glad to see it's happening to others, as I recently built my first PC and updated SWTOR to 5.0 and am still having this issue. I thought I'd messed something up tbh, so at least that's a relief. However, it's dumb this is happening, and to so many. Hopefully BioWare listen to us and fix this issue rather then fix the other issues and go "Well, it's not happening to everyone just a number of people, so we can leave it for a while!". Seriously BioWare, don't do that. While this issue isn't as bad as it could be, having to restart my bloody PC every single time I try and Alt-Tab out or just close the game with the in game "Quit Game! button is incredibly tedious and annoying, even with Windows 10 on my SSD so my PC takes 15-20 seconds to restart, it's still super bloody annoying :/

I've had this once or twice, now when it happens, I alt/tab out of game, open task manager, find this game, right click, end task.

Yup yup. I had this issue a couple of times since 5.0 so now when I want to close the game, instead of logging out I just manually kill it via Task Manager. No fuss, no muss, no cleanup. It's definitely an issue though. Players shouldn't have to manually kill the program in order to log out cleanly.

Just about to report this. Been happening since 5.0 launched. Game black screens when I hit quit game, then I have to alt ctrl delete to close the game. Logging out before quitting sometimes helps, but not always.

Windows 7 Home Premium

EVGA Nvidia GTX 980ti classified with latest drivers

intel core i7 2700k

Have to CTRL ALT DEL and log off then shut down computer.

Same here ! I mentioned it in a thread along with some other issues ... though no one added to that particular series ... I want to add to this one as well.

What you have stated here is what I have to do as well.

Line connection: dedicated line with the latest of AT&T high speed service provider (though not fiber optic)

NVIDIA graphics card (64bit)

Intel 64bit DDR3 w/12 gig RAM

I am getting this too. I used to be able to control+alt+delete and go to apps and end the task there, but now the dead SWTOR window is always on top so I can't even switch to the Task Manager window. Come on Bioware; this game is 5 years old and still runs like an alpha half the time.

I think it might be in another thread, but someone posted a work around that worked for me.

1) log out to char select screen

2) alt-tab to desktop

3) right click on swtor icon on taskbar and close it using the red x.

What didn't work for me:

1) Ctl-Alt-Del (screen stays black and task manager never shows up)

2) using escape ---> Quit game

3) Logging out normally from the char select screen.

I didn't try alt-F4.