Exploits and Galactic Command

EricMusco

Sort of like when the odd person sold a chat back to a vendor and got punished/warned because it was giving more credits than it cost to buy even though those specific people may have only done it once and legitimately and never known it cost more?

Ok...

You buy something that costs 1000 credits.

You sell the same item back to vendor for 1500 credits.

At this point you should have quite a few warning lights flashing. Even before you sell it back because you can see sell price in your inventory when vendor window is open.

There is one way to fix that though. Buy back.

I know this because I do this sell back accidentally every time on mod vendors on fleet. I'm sure I'm not a the only one. I start putting mods and enhancements into gear but since vendor window is still open I actually sell them back to vendor:

I have 900 crystals

I buy 1 mod: -2 crystals, @ 898 crystals

I sell it back to vendor: +2 crystals, @ 900 crystals

I click buy back tab and get the mod back: -2 crystals, @ 898 crystals.

Edited by Halinalle

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're playing the straight & narrow and not looking for shortcuts to speed up cxp or get more crates than allowed, you got nothing to worry about. Those sweating over supposed exploits will be the ones trying to find short cuts to lighten their workload.

This is a ******* game. There shouldn't be a workload.

Are you kidding me?

Guys:

Play the game as you always have and you will be fine. If you have never been flagged for exploiting before when farming gear, cosmetic items and points, you won't be flagged now. If you find an acitivty that let's you gain fifty levels per hour (when the intention was one - two levels per thirty-fourty minutes), you write a bug report and let them check whether this is intended. And don't continue and max yourself out to 300 in barely a days work afterwards.

Literally every player across Guild Wars 2, World of Warcraft and Black Desert Online has a sense for what an exploit is. They even prepare statements for when they might get banned for it. Only this forum seems to have a genuinely hard time to wrap their mind around the concept "if it's too good to be true, it probably is!"

No we are not kidding. The reset of an instance is there for bugs. If you encounter a bug you can reset the instance so you don't have to wait until the bug is fixed. Which makes resetting the instance a shadow zone. It's not exploit per se yet it's not used as intended. That's why people ask, because Eric wrote about intended using and we all know this was not the intention.

The same applies for /stuck on bosses. There are several bosses where you can get tons of exp if you "wipe" on every fight at the end. And we all know /stuck is here for people who get stuck not for instant wipe of a group. It's not an exploit per se but again - you are using a game mechanic in a way it was not intended. And again - thanks to the vague definition of what's denied by BW we are not sure whether this qualifies or not.

And then there are some quests where is an endless spawn of golden mobs or better. Is using such quests to endless spawn these mobs an exploit? Because these quests are intended to pass(use game mechanic to get past the endless spawn, not to kill it endlessly). Is this an exploit or not? Because we are using game mechanic the way it's not intended.

That's the problem, it's too vague and there are some things which we use in the way it's not intended. That's the reason why is everybody asking :) Before it doesn't matter that much, leveling was fast enough. But now this is tied to gearing process. So they can punish for something they ignore previously because back than nobody cared.

"Rumor' has it from "sources" that there are indeed discovered exploits from pts about to make it into live hence this heads up. Not even hard to discover ones either.

Honestly if that's the case it's just not good enough. It happened before where they ignored pts reports of exploits that made it to live and the fall out was massive, for it to happen again ... I hope it's just rumor anyway, people pay for this product ffs.

Exactly. This is "treasure island" repeating itself. Again they leave the loophole open, bait their players to use it, then go through the effort of researching and going after the players, instead of just closing the loophole. I don't understand how this makes sense to them.

Edited by kvandertulip

More clarification is definitely needed.

I could assume (read: guess if you dislike the word 'assume') that the intended way to play 5.0 is to go through the chapters first and thus level up to 70. Even if you spacebar through all the dialogue this will take a certain amount of time, which the devs could be counting on.

Is it then an exploit to level to 70 by, for example, doing planetary heroic quests? PvP? Flashpoints, Star Fortresses? In the DvL xp boost gear?

And starting the new story only after getting to 70 to get CXP for it?

....who knows. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://dulfy.net/2016/11/29/swtor-galactic-command-guide/

According to dulfy it'll require 1.23 mil cxp for rank 300. At this point i don't even care to exploit even if i find one. And even if i exploit with the weekly cap of 23k cxp i'll need 52 weeks(yes, that's 1 year) to rank. If i wanted to play a korean grind i'll play a korean grind.

Is the cap confirmed? It sounds to me like a nonsense. Operation packs should give you thousands of points. Doesn't make sense, you get through several bosses and you get that 23k almost immediately.

Is the cap confirmed? It sounds to me like a nonsense. Operation packs should give you thousands of points. Doesn't make sense, you get through several bosses and you get that 23k almost immediately.

Check the link. Nowhere near "thousands of points"

Check the link. Nowhere near "thousands of points"

Small operation boss - 600 points. So, let's talk about DP, DF and S&V. That's 17 bosses. 10 200 points. That's just SM. Now let's talk about HM. 17 bosses = 15 300 points. That leaves us with 8 000 points in cap.

C'mon, the cap is nonsense unless Dulfy has wrong numbers or the pack isn't dropped from every boss. And that's just 3 operations!

Small operation boss - 600 points. So, let's talk about DP, DF and S&V. That's 17 bosses. 10 200 points. That's just SM. Now let's talk about HM. 17 bosses = 15 300 points. That leaves us with 8 000 points in cap.

C'mon, the cap is nonsense unless Dulfy has wrong numbers or the pack isn't dropped from every boss. And that's just 3 operations!

I have no idea about the cap actually - someone posted it on the pvp forum. And why are you assuming that every boss will drop cxp packs? For all we know it'll probably drop 1 for the whole raid to roll for

I have no idea about the cap actually - someone posted it on the pvp forum. And why are you assuming that every boss will drop cxp packs? For all we know it'll probably drop 1 for the whole raid to roll for

For all we know we know nothing for sure yet. 23k cap would meant you would do level 300 the whole year. So, in theory, is it possible that somebody just placed somewhere that doing level 300 with current numbers would meant doing 23k points/week which is an insane grind?

I just assume that every boss will drop it otherwise the gearing changes don't make a sense as no one would be able to get to BIS gear in less than a half year.

For all we know we know nothing for sure yet. 23k cap would meant you would do level 300 the whole year. So, in theory, is it possible that somebody just placed somewhere that doing level 300 with current numbers would meant doing 23k points/week which is an insane grind?

I just assume that every boss will drop it otherwise the gearing changes don't make a sense as no one would be able to get to BIS gear in less than a half year.

With the lack of content 1 year of grind is quite probable. You're too generous to the idiots that run this korean grind.

With the lack of content 1 year of grind is quite probable. You're too generous to the idiots that run this korean grind.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they're not aiming there. But I don't think the cap is actually known, but more of an Urban Legend :)

Edited by Deaconik

"an exploit is using the game in an unintended manner to gain an advantage"

Over 99.9% of the responsibility of the health and welfare of the game falls into the laps of the developers. A single customer can not be held responsible for the failure and success of a software product. Either call it beta testing or spend more time and deliver a product that isn't guaranteed to explode at launch. We are becoming too complacent with these software corporations and the lack of any quality or responsibility in what they themselves create. When you wake up from your Matrix reality and realize a potentially broken game is the problem and not the competitive players you will only just discovered the problem.

So yeah, killing all the mobs in DP then resetting the instance would most likely be considered an exploit.

Except the devs said it was not an exploit to level from 55-65 in a flash via this method.

How can it be an exploit to gain CXP if it's not an exploit for leveling?

No, that is not simple. That is intentionally very vague and very open to interpretation. That is the opposite of simple. We are not mind readers. It is up to you to inform us what your intentions are, and what is and isn't an exploit. You instead would rather not do that, so you can retroactively determine what is and isn't an exploit. You have to clearly define what your intentions are before you tell people to play by those intentions.

yeah its like the definition of terrorist in the patriot act (yes srs) mocking our govt with being on a level of EA.

No offense to eric but, when you have bad coders you will have many exploits, it is not the players faults, it is their fault if they dont report it but you should give an incentive to report, as it is human nature to get ahead on everyone else and causes an adrenaline rush. yes people should still be punished but i still believe perma bans should be reserved for game breaking bans where someone gets max credits easily, or max gear on the max amount of guys easily or some kind of exploit like that.

Provide a reward and people will come forward more and then HOT PATCH THE DAMN SERVERS pardon m y language but dont take 4 months to fix the problems and blame the players for abusing it once you knew of it.

Thank you for everyone who replied to my question. (sorry for no quotes, could not figure out how to insert more than one quote.)

You really asked a stupid question. And the simple answer that any intelligent person would know is - no that is not an exploit.

Now, I thought it would be fine and not considered an exploit. How ever, given their definition of an exploit ("Playing the game a way it was not intended.") I feel this was a way they did not intend, thus I asked. And yes, I do see where this can be seen as "stupid", how ever if we never push there definitions, we can never get a proper definition.

No offense to eric but, when you have bad coders you will have many exploits

I think this is too harsh. The more options you give people, the more loopholes and exploits you will have and sometimes you can't plug a hole without taking away an intended result.

E.g., Resetting instances. Suppose you want to quit it to join another. Or you honestly can't complete it and want to do something else. Instead of trying to code out the numerous heuristics to emulate player intent, they just give the reset tool and it's up to the civility of people to follow along with intent.

Something they could do more is STATE the intent and hope people go with the SPIRIT of the intent though.

As for finding exploits and the existence of exploits, that has been a gamer staple and dare I say even a badge of honour for gamers since... well, since computer games. Probably started with people memorizing how to do Pac-Man levels without dying.

Ok...

You buy something that costs 1000 credits.

You sell the same item back to vendor for 1500 credits.

At this point you should have quite a few warning lights flashing. Even before you sell it back because you can see sell price in your inventory when vendor window is open.

There is one way to fix that though. Buy back.

Honestly if you legitimately bought extra of something and sold it back do you really think people are going to sit there and ensure they got exactly the correct amount of credits back? If we were talking incredibly expensive items sure but these were peanut prices with that chair.