Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Here's what a truly BAD launch looks like

Alyxa

a truly bad post looks like a wall o text

TLDR pls?

Just read the last paragraph.

There are far worse launches than this as the OP says, I think Darkfall was one of the worst. And at least we don't have to deal with GOA... holy crap they were bad.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The issue here seems to not be with BW; clearly, the issue is literacy.

I think BW has realized this and that's why they don't really bother to explain themselves. People will whine and ***** about this even if everyone got in and everything went smooth...

a truly bad post looks like a wall o text

TLDR pls?

Someone doest know what a wall of text truly is.

---

I agree OP, all these ppl whining about not being in the game would be the same ppl whining if there was que times and server instability if everyone got in at the same time.

Some people just dont know how to appreciate what they do get and thus can never be pleased.

The Last MMO Rift had a Perfect HeadStart Pre Launch they had at least 10k people all doing the same lowbie quests on deepstrike pvp server and the game didn't even crash once they reset it for like 2 minutes but that was about it...They dont even have half the money SWTOR had and it ran fine. If all you can let in is 2 weeks of preorders then your servers must be ****.

You must have missed 100+ lowbies swarming rift events and your computer crashing.

You must also have missed the part where they had serious server-side security issues.

@OP you sir/madam have just won the internet and what is left of the non idiotic community. Well done, I agree with you 100% after being in WoW's launch. Let me tell you it wasn't pretty or fun and no I'm not in the pre-release yet! :) Edited by ViridianFox

The Last MMO Rift had a Perfect HeadStart Pre Launch they had at least 10k people all doing the same lowbie quests on deepstrike pvp server and the game didn't even crash once they reset it for like 2 minutes but that was about it...They dont even have half the money SWTOR had and it ran fine. If all you can let in is 2 weeks of preorders then your servers must be ****.

You realize they've probably already put in as many people as rift had by launch. And tomorrow they'll have as many as rift had at it's peak. I played Rift at launch and it was chaos and poorly organized. Complete with server crashes and unplayable lag spikes.

Edited by woocls

I want to go ahead an admit how big of an Idiot I AM for not reading all the way through and I retract the above statement:P Sorry to OP Im a moron

It's ok, Drakinor, I forgive you.

If I could, I'd give you a potato.

/pet

Lol You could have downloaded a while ago, I saw no ques at all at my buddies place, and guess what this isnt a launch lol. The game launch is set at 12/20 US 12/22 EU, this is an early access they are allowing people into, not because your owed but because they allow you. And if you have ever launched ANY other mmo you would expect issues. Fail post FTL, way to go.

You realize they were talking about WoW's launch and how horrible it was in comparison to TOR at the moment?

Lol You could have downloaded a while ago, I saw no ques at all at my buddies place, and guess what this isnt a launch lol. The game launch is set at 12/20 US 12/22 EU, this is an early access they are allowing people into, not because your owed but because they allow you. And if you have ever launched ANY other mmo you would expect issues. Fail post FTL, way to go.

Ever watched Short Attention Span Theatre by any chance?

right: so the thing is this is doing 2 things.

One: it will be spreading the population out so that excessive sharding will not be needed as much and performance will remain high.

two: it is rewarding people who pre-ordered the game when it was first available. Anyone who is complaining about not getting in today is simply being a silly entitled bugger.

My opinion? Quit ************. Depending on when you pre-ordered you'll be in the game within a few days. i you pre-ordered less than a month ago, quit complaining.

totaly true.. and im very sorry about preordering this game because some of my friends start playing tonight and some of them gonna start tomorrow. we cant even lvl together or do quests togather. we just gonna meet at lvl 50. what a mmo

hope gw2 comes out fast

You could have pre-load over a week ago, cry more

700's queue? That's pretty damn good.

Unrestricted MMO Launches =

Aion 4000+ queues, 6 hours to login

Starting Area, = 5 fps, take a number for your quest mob, and yes, you are grouped with a full party trying to tag it.

Rift Early Access

2000+ Queue, friends gave up, rolled a new server after the first day because the queues was not dying out. New server had 500 queues and was relatively faster.

Starting Area = 12 FPS, packed heavy

SWTOR Early Access looks fantastic in comparison. controlled launch, letting people level up and out of the starting zone so it is not over crowded. Less taxation on the server means less issues and downtime

Seriously, hush up. It's early access, your getting free up to 7 days in a controlled effort to have a stable launch. This is fine, this is handled properly. Deal with it.

You must have missed 100+ lowbies swarming rift events and your computer crashing.

You must also have missed the part where they had serious server-side security issues.

lol yeah, the little bug that let people steal your account without even knowing your password

What people are forgetting ... Rift had less than 100K pre-orders when Early Access opened

ToR already has 10x that

I WOULD RATHER SIT IN A CUR FOR 3 HOURS, AT LEAST I WOULD GET TO PLAY DAY 1. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Damn, you can really tell who the kids are on this form :rolleyes:

On topic, Good post OP glad to see a post that isn't full of QQ.

Servers might be up and running but they have alienated so much of the community, and I'm not refering to staggering early access (I won't get in for a few days but I still think staggering the early access was a good idea) I am refering to the whole redzone/greenzone nonsense, only selling the digital version on origin and then IP blocking other countries from buying it digitally, and then removing a grace period that was promised across every method of community communication (twitter/forum and customer service).

These things are worse for me than a server going down, or the client crashing.

For ME, this is the most awful launch I have had the displeasure of participating in.

All that aside, I will be playing when I can (a few days of early access and then shut out till my CE arrives in January...) and I will enjoy it for years to come. I will try put the launch experience behind me and try forget about it so I will be able to enjoy it all the moreso.

I agree OP. Been there, done that. I think they could have gotten away with some late evening waves but I'll get over it. I look forward to getting into EA and am not bothered if people want to ruin the main selling point of this game (the in depth storylines) by spacebaring their way to max level or exploiting the warzones.

I want my invite to EA and the best I can do is read a bunch of angry posts on the forums until I get it =/

You're allowed to download the game client starting the day before launch. It takes you the better part of a day because everyone and their grandmother and their dog are all trying to get the game installed before launch.

You finally get the game installed and fired up. You log in. You're #785 in a queue. It takes 3 hours to get into the game.

You get into the game, but the server lag is freaking terrible. Like you can't even move. You get disconnected.

You have to log in again, but LUCKILY you don't have to wait in queue again. You get into the game, but then the server crashes.

2 hours later you get an update on the game launcher from an hour ago saying that they'll have an update in 30 minutes. Ho hum. Servers down. For forever. Wasted Pizza Hutt and Full Throttles. Never really know *** happened.

When the servers do finally come back up (the next morning), you get in and everything seems good. Except there are 20 people sitting on a quest giver, making him unclickable. And then you have to go fight over mob spawns against 20 other people. Then you get to the part of the quest where you kill "the big guy" and you're stuck waiting to get your quest kill of ONE MOB, while you're getting ganked, and that stupid warrior's charge tagged the mob before you could get off a moonfire.

You finally get your quest kill and you have to go digging through a stack of players AGAIN to turn in your quest.

And then you get a game announcement saying that they're doing a server rollback.

So an hour later after they finally get the servers back up when it should have taken 15 minutes, you have to deal with 20 people camping the same mob YOU ALREADY KILLED while you're getting ganked and that stupid warrior's charge tagged the mob before you could get off a moonfire, and then you have to go digging through a stack of players again AGAIN to turn in your quest AGAIN.

So...

Am I a little frustrated that other people are playing the game that I'm DYING to play? Yes.

Am I frustrated that BW apparently decided to call it a day early and stop sending out waves for 16 and a half hours? Yes.

Could they have done this some other, better, way? Probably.

But "the worst launch ever"? I'm sorry, but no. BW made it known from DAY ONE that not everyone was getting into the game on day one of early access. And if it means that I don't have to sit for four hours in a queue so the servers can crash before I have to fight 50 people for the same respawns so they can rollback the servers and I have to do it all over again, then... Okay.

You have no clue. With your example above EVERYONE is on the same page. EVERYONE is experiencing the same hangups. EVERYONE has the same ability to progress.

With the way BW is doing it, No one is on the same level. For a competitive player and guild, this crappy launch is a kick in the nuts. Nothing we can do as we watch our members slowly log in a few a day. Things like server firsts or guild vs guild competition is out the window for the foreseeable future.

This doesn't take into account the being on a PvP server and what it means to log in 5 days after anyone else. It also doesn't take into account the added stress on some people to try and catch up in levels to be able to participate with friends or guildmates.

Ive been playing MMO's for 15 years and in my OP this is the absolute WORST way to release a game. I can tell you in all honesty that this launch has all but killed any enthusiasm I had for TOR because I am so competitive.

Bioware, if I was not a member of a very good guild, I would be canceling my pre order right now. Thats a fact.

Shadowbane - Truly one of the worst launches I've ever seen, eclipsed only by the massive memory leak that would make even an entry level programmer cry. Still doesn't beat OP's story, but notable nonetheless.

I haven't gotten in yet, nor did I expect to as I pre-ordered 11/5. From what I can tell though, this seems to a very efficient way to roll out the game.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.