The Ultimate guide to speeding up win 7 on low/mid range systems ready for TOR!

renegadeimp

I saw in another one of your posts that you know where to get modified drivers for amd cards. i have a 5450 1gb ddr3. Can you private message me with a link. THanks

I will do later tonight. They wont be the same ones i use, since they were hosted on megaupload. I'll link you to a site and some downloads though so you can create them yourself. That way you can trial and error them until you get ones that work amazing.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh believe me. Everytime we send out mails, or telephone a client, or even remote into their systems we ALWAYS issue disclaimers. There are way too many people who dont actually know anything about their system, yet call us up and claim that they know more than we do.

Zing. I know EXACTLY what you mean.

BTW...There is no disclaimer next to the personal storage option for your service tweaks. Even if you have one for the whole list of service tweaks, it probably wouldn't hurt to say something in parenthesis there, such as (do not disable if you have highly sensitive data such as passwords or bank account information, stored on your computer)

I will do later tonight. They wont be the same ones i use, since they were hosted on megaupload. I'll link you to a site and some downloads though so you can create them yourself. That way you can trial and error them until you get ones that work amazing.

http://www.guru3d.com used to be a really great resource of modified display drivers for both ATI and NVIDIA cards. Unfortunately, as far as I know, there aren't really very many modified drivers anymore, and if there are, I haven't found them. Most of the stuff you find now is for older cards.

http://www.guru3d.com used to be a really great resource of modified display drivers for both ATI and NVIDIA cards. Unfortunately, as far as I know, there aren't really very many modified drivers anymore, and if there are, I haven't found them. Most of the stuff you find now is for older cards.

They still have one of the best threads on that site for modifying drivers, and theyve started rebuilding them again.

Edited by renegadeimp

Need someone with a larger tech brain then mine. I recently applied some of these changes disabling services and such got a good result. Problem is I can't open the interface on my Razar Synapse mouse any more . Anyone have clue as to what I may need to turn back on to get it going again?

@ Zaron , Which part are you confused on disabling services or adjusting windows performance options ?

@Wyrdstar more then likely you terminated a process needed to run the razer driver and software .

Look in your task manager ( right click task bar and select it from drop down menu ) for the names :

1. razerofa.exe

2. razerhid.exe

3. razertra.exe

4.vDaemon.exe

Those are the files needed to run the tray icon /software and driver for the razer mice .

If they are NOT running ( I'm fairly certain there is no service for these ) look in C:\Program Files (x86)\Razer\Synapse and start each of the respective .exe files I listed by double clicking them.

If your mouse becomes unresponsive try unplugging and plugging back in the mouse , logging out and back in ( or rebooting ) .

@ Zaron , Which part are you confused on disabling services or adjusting windows performance options ?

@Wyrdstar more then likely you terminated a process needed to run the razer driver and software .

Look in your task manager ( right click task bar and select it from drop down menu ) for the names :

1. razerofa.exe

2. razerhid.exe

3. razertra.exe

4.vDaemon.exe

Those are the files needed to run the tray icon /software and driver for the razer mice .

If they are NOT running ( I'm fairly certain there is no service for these ) look in C:\Program Files (x86)\Razer\Synapse and start each of the respective .exe files I listed by double clicking them.

If your mouse becomes unresponsive try unplugging and plugging back in the mouse , logging out and back in ( or rebooting ) .

i have no problem with disabling anything, i just cant seem to find a way to save/apply changes when rebooting my machine. After reboot my changes revert. I see no "apply" or "ok" button. which by the way ty for this guide my PC/swtor runs so much better now!

Zaron make sure you have administrative privileges.

This guide should be stickied, I followed all of the steps and now my system is screaming fast.

A couple of extra tips I can add is going into registry and setting the prefetch and superfetch to boot only mode as well as setting the level of the second data cache

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management - SecondLevelDataCache REG_DWORD 0x00000400 (1024) <= This depends on your processor, mine has a 1 meg L2 Cache for each core

Prefetch preloads parts of applications into memory to speed up loading time when the applications are needed, this is beneficial if you are running multiple tasks as in office related tasks. If you have plenty of system memory this isn't a noticeable loss, but if you are like me, using the computer extensively for gaming, you need as much memory free as possible.

Prefetch has 4 modes;

• Disable Prefetch = 0
  • Prefech Application start = 1
  • Prefetch Boot Only = 2 <= My Choice
  • Prefetch Everything = 3 <= System Default

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters - EnablePrefetcher REG_DWORD 0x00000002 (2)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters - EnableSuperfetch REG_DWORD 0x00000002 (2)

As has been stated before, don't attempted registry changes if you are unsure of what you are doing and always create a restore point before you make any changes.

Edited by Max_Vitor

@ Zaron , Is this the part you are reffering to ?

To disable extra effects:

Right Click on My Computer, either on your desktop or in your start menu and click Properties.

Click on “Advanced System Settings” on the left side of this window to bring up the “System Properties” window.

Choose the tab labelled “Advanced”. Now under “Performace” (it's at the top), click the “settings” button. Choose the option called “Custom”.

Now the trick here to to strip everything that the system really doesnt need. So that means unchecking every single box. The only boxes that should be checked are “Smooth Edges of Screen fonts”, “Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop” and "Use Visual Styles on Windows and Buttons”.

Click “Apply” or “OK”

Or this part ( I am pretty sure it is this part ) If so see my post earlier in this thread

Application Experience

Computer Browser*(If your PC does not connect to any network)

Desktop*Window Manager Session Manager*(If you don’t want the aero effects)

Diagnostic Policy Service

Distributed Link Tracking Client

IP Helper

Offline Files

Portable Device Enumerator Service

Print*Spooler*(If you do not use a Printer)

Protected Storage

Remote Registry*(You can safely disable it for more Security)

Secondary Logon

Security Center

Server*(If*your*computer*is not connect with any network)

Tablet PC Input Service

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

Themes

Windows Error*Reporting*Service

Windows Media Center Service Launcher

Windows*Search*(If you rarely use Windows Search feature )

Windows Time*(If you do not want to synchronize system time with*internet*time automatically. This is recommended to be disabled, as it is only useful if your system battery is dying or your country is about to switch to DST).

After you have disabled each of these, click apply/OK, then restart your computer.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=1198&page=32

Seems it would be easier for you to use this program since you are having difficulties shutting of services .

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

But the other way would be this ( on Windows 7 ) :

1. Right Click Task Bar ( Select Task Manager )

2. Go to Services Tab and Click the services Box at the bottom

3. Right click the service you want to modify and choose "properties" from the Menu

4. Near the Bottom where it says service status click the STOP button ( if running )

5. in the Startup Type box Choose Disabled and then Apply ( at bottom )

This will make permanent changes to your system services , not wise in the long run unless you are experienced at troubleshooting your computer , as a lot of programs are written assuming the default system services are running .

Its a much more advisable thing to temporarily stop the services , that way you can reboot and all is back to normal .

This post, ElvinMistress? if so its done and thankyou so much! bioware needs to hire you.

You are very welcome Zaron!!!

Yes that was the post I was referring too . I am glad to have been able to help , hope you can enjoy playing this great game even more now .

PS : It wouldn't hurt to thank the original poster who created this this thread renegeadeimp, without him/her this wouldn't exist :) !

Sorry if this has been covered already but you can disable and enable Aero programmatically without constantly turning it off and on manually. Here's how:

Right click on the SWTOR icon and click "Properties"

Under the compatibility tab click the check box next to "Disable desktop composition"

Click "OK"

Profit

If you like to leave your programs on the quick launch bar at the top of the Windows 7 screen just drag this shortcut up to where you want it and it'll still work. Unfortunately you can't get to the properties window from the shortcut bar, or at least I don't know how. Hope this helps some people out.

So i just moved to a new area and am looking for a job so dont have the money to upgrade systems. When just doing questing and such I am at a steady 5 to 20 FPS. Now when I hit a warzone I am down to below 2 100% of the time and most of that is spent below 1. So I am going to try this but if you could look at my system specs and tell me what i should upgrade when i have the money I would appricate it.

Processor: AMD C-50 Processor 1Ghz btw this is two cores

Ram: 2 gb

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6250 Graphics with 949 mb avalible

So i just moved to a new area and am looking for a job so dont have the money to upgrade systems. When just doing questing and such I am at a steady 5 to 20 FPS. Now when I hit a warzone I am down to below 2 100% of the time and most of that is spent below 1. So I am going to try this but if you could look at my system specs and tell me what i should upgrade when i have the money I would appricate it.

Processor: AMD C-50 Processor 1Ghz btw this is two cores

Ram: 2 gb

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6250 Graphics with 949 mb avalible

Your entire system is well under minimum specs. No amount of tweaking will get it to run well.

I havent read the whole thread, just wondered wether these tricks would run on vista?

My pc stats are (amd quad core 2.4ghz, 4gb ram, nvidiaGTS 450.

The game seems to run fine when questing but any pvp and its utter £$!%. I know my PC is out of date but I was hoping there was something i can do to make the game run a tad better.

Thanks for any advice guys

Edited by scoobydd

@scoobydd , Yes the tweaks will also work on Vista .

One of the more annoying features of Vista is the heavy handed UAC .

Aside from running into that you should be fine :) !!!

P.S. I touched Vista only once and immediately threw it into the class with Hiroshima Chernobyl and Windows 95 !

This topic is bollocks, as windows 7 has a way of prioritizing your fullscreen aplications to almost 100%, all your windows functions are suspended as soon as you enter the game in fullscreen. YOU MAY get 1-2 fps more without basic functions like indexing BUT that will cause severe system problems.

raging imp is a Rakata! See my sig for reference :>

I've been following like 10 FPS increasing threads and that have giving me about 10% boost.

When I'm been around collecting datacrons I have about 75-110 fps and warzones are fine.

But the massive pvp on illum and the time killing in imperial fleet makes my fps decrease to around 5-15, can't seem to find anyway to get it "ok".

CPU Core i5 750, 2.66GHz 8MB

GPU Asus GeForce GTX 580 1536MB DirectCU II

RAM G.Skill 16GB (4x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz Ripjaws Gaming

I've been reading about other people's rigs and it seems that mine should be fine for this game, but maybe I need to upgrade my CPU?.

Edited by bleedan

@bleedan ,

From what I have read in this post and a few others is there seems to be a general lag issue with illum and imperial fleet .

Most likely this is caused by the games engine/and or game general coding .

Something you can do is get a baseline reading of the games usage in normal areas , then do the same for trouble areas like this :

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/7375/swotoridlefpsopt.jpg

Possibly with this information you may find what is bottlenecking whether it be CPU/Memory/Video Card ( FPS in game is Shift +Ctrl +F ).

Armed with a bit more knowledge you can try tweaking from the ground up with graphics at their lowest ( re-checking the FPS CPU/Memory/Video Card ) and then turning on features one by one to balance the best performance you can .

I would be very interested in know what your results are :) !