Crafting in Eternal Throne

EricMusco

I still believe that Eric's post didn't cover the basic gearing (e.g. 228 rating, perhaps?) which would probably be simply done with schematics learned at the trainer, using mats obtaining through crew skills.

Which leaves the end game gear. The Tier 1 gear in 5.0 definitely falls prey to RNG. I feel that this is offset by the Tier 2 and Tier 3 gear being more readily available to learn schematics. Also, exotic mats dropping from both operations and PvP have the potential of making them more plentiful (hearkens back to the 1.6 days).

Complaints about regular RNG gearing I can understand. But I feel that the CRAFTING changes in 5.0 are neither better nor worse than what we've had previously.

I agree that we don't have enough info to determine whether or not 66-70 leveling gear through Tier 1 is better or worse. As long as I can get through Tier 1 like I can now (buy blue from trainer, RE to purple), I'd call it a wash. RNG drops for Tier 2 and Tier 3 would be acceptable (since we don't have equivalent trainer schematics for those, it wouldn't be a loss).

As far as end game gear in general, we need to distinguish static stat gear from RE'd token gear (static stat isn't BiS, token gear / modifications are). It looks like (other than RNG to get the gear), token gear RE will be the same (possibly item level XXX-2), but no different in RE'ing to get schematics.

So basically, if Tier 1 is still RE'able from trainer schematics, we're basically in the same place, it's only if we have to deal with RNG for Tier 1 drops and Tier 1 schematics where things look worse.

Also, this wasn't a big deal in 4.0 because it was easy enough to PVP for a BiS 204 PVP set which was better than trainer 208s, and this is no longer an option in 5.0.

And, as I have mentioned, in addition to item level, we'll need to see the stat distributions. I'm hoping that lowering the item level of crafted gear (xxx-2) means that it will have the better stat distribution instead of same item level with crap distribution. But we'll see.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as I can get through Tier 1 like I can now (buy blue from trainer, RE to purple)

I don't think you can do that now, though. The most advanced blue schematic you can buy from the trainer is the rank 40 (rating 200). This REs to a purple rank 40, but this is only rating 208. In the current scheme of items, rating 216 is called tier 1. Rating 216 gear is currently only obtainable from drops, or by REing those drops.

There is rating 208 blue gear that drops, but this is not REable into a rating 216 item.

I don't think you can do that now, though. The most advanced blue schematic you can buy from the trainer is the rank 40 (rating 200). This REs to a purple rank 40, but this is only rating 208. In the current scheme of items, rating 216 is called tier 1. Rating 216 gear is currently only obtainable from drops, or by REing those drops.

There is rating 208 blue gear that drops, but this is not REable into a rating 216 item.

There's plenty of craftable 216 gear that doesn't require REing a drop. I know for a fact that you can craft 216 Relics, main and off hands, Ears. I also know you can craft 208 item modifications (Hilts and armor at that level cannot be RE'd. I don't know if mods and enhancements and augments can or not). Crafable implants can go to 216 as well by RE craftables, not drops.

• Dev Post
Does this mean that you can only craft "222" mods, no "224" mods?

What about earpieces/implants/relics, are those craftable on the same level as Tier 3 Command gear?

Also, what about the Crystal of Nightmare Fury, will it require the mats from Operations/PvP, or something else?

Correct, you will be able to craft mods which are slightly under the top item rating.

The same rules apply, you cannot craft the top item rating, but slightly under it.

I am not sure at the moment. Let me work on getting the answer to that!

-eric

This is a mistake.

1) Once again, you're locking exotic mats behind content that not everyone enjoys doing which goes against your goal of letting us play the way we want. I PVP casually; don't really do ops at all. I'm not grinding that content for mats, it would drive me nuts. I realise that the most difficult content should give the best rewards but crating mats should be available in all types of content, including difficult solo content. This was a mistake in 4.0 and it's a mistake now.

2) You're not letting us craft at the same rating as whatever we just RE'd which means eventually all alts will have to do the CXP grind to get to whatever gear goal the player wants for their characters.

3) Assuming we take this route to gear alts, the only way to speed the process up is to craft the left side (assuming you share amour sets, MH/OH in legacy gear) which means taking at least a cybertech, artificer and biochem through the slow way so that can get the high level gear to RE and craft (by grinding one of two types of content whether you enjoy it or not or by spending a fortune on the GTN) and only once you have these three crafters at a high command level and then they have been lucky enough to get the right piece at least twice (one to wear the other to RE) can your other alts start disintegrating their crates to speed through the GC levels.

If you want to gear up disciplines other than DPS or want a separate PVP set (and you should if you play it seriously), you'll have to open twice or three times as many crates to get all the different pieces you want and farm or purchase three times as many units of exotic mats to craft everything.

My suggestion would be make crates BoL or add them to the item stash so low GC level crafters can RE the left side and also make exotic mats obtainable in many different ways as long as the content is difficult. You said that Master level story content was going to be really hard, beating the 10th boss in the EC is hard if you're still in tier 0 gear. It's definitely more difficult than storymode EV/KP with bolster which DOES drop the mats so add it to either of them or Veteran level Uprisings or HMFPs.

Secondly I suggest that the RE'd mods and schematics are at the exact same rating as the gear that dropped from the crates. Some of us have 20+ characters and this all too much. I'm fine grinding up say one shadow and one mara to kit out 80% of my characters and having the rest in non-bonus gear supplemented with crafting but as it stands I'll probably just leave them on the shelf which is a shame because I liked a lot of those characters.

Edited by ForjKlahaa

Thanks for all the responses!

They will remain unchanged and can still be used for crafting 4.0 schematics.

-eric

Does this mean the DMC (and the other 4.0 mats) will still be available in-game, e.g. drop from bosses or be purchaseable on a vendor? Or can we only craft with what is left in players' inventories and banks?

Edited by Jerba

Mods: You will earn the schematics to craft mods through either reverse engineering the mod, PvP, or looting the schematic from an Operation boss. These schematics will require materials earned from Operations or PvP in order to craft them.

Does this mean that you can only craft "222" mods, no "224" mods?

Correct, you will be able to craft mods which are slightly under the top item rating.

Wait, so let me get this straight Eric.

So, I get a piece of moddable gear from a command crate, lets call it a tier 3 rating "224" piece. I remove one of its item modifications, say its mod (we'll pretend its a Lethal 44 mod), and reverse engineer it. I learn a schematic for a mod that is rating 222, not 224, like a Lethal 43.5 mod?

So, we can craft item modifications learned by reverse engineering that require materials from operations, that aren't even the same item level as the original? Why would anyone do the reverse engineering/crafting cycle in this scenario? This makes no sense.

Edited by phalczen

Wrong. Trainer sells 212 schematics for all left side, MH/OH, and unmoddable armor pieces. RE first time to learn 216 and RE that 216 piece a second time to learn 220. They're Exarch MK-26 pieces now, to distinguish them from token stuff and data crystal stuff.

This is a mistake.

1) Once again, you're locking exotic mats behind content that not everyone enjoys doing which goes against your goal of letting us play the way we want. I PVP casually; don't really do ops at all. I'm not grinding that content for mats, it would drive me nuts.

Some of us have 20+ characters and this all too much. I'm fine grinding up say one shadow and one mara to kit out 80% of my characters and having the rest in non-bonus gear supplemented with crafting but as it stands I'll probably just leave them on the shelf which is a shame because I liked a lot of those characters.

I am genuinely confused. If you don't do OPS and only PvP casually, why does any of this matter? What content is it that you are planning on doing that requires anywhere near the highest tiers of equipment/mods? I stopped running OPS with my guild a long time ago and just casually do solo content and heroics, have made no effort to gear up my character, and still can't find any content that is even mildly challenging. Am I missing something?

Is this true for conquest mats as well? Is there a new version of the Strategic Resource Matrix for level 70?

Of course there will be. No way they'll leave the huge amount of matrices available useful to craft end game gear.

Well on the plus side at least I don't have to augment a PvP set and a PvE set per toon.

That depends. For dps you'll probably only need to augment a couple of implants and ear to get 110 accuracy in pve but pvp tanks will still have to have 2 sets unless they want to swap all their fortitude augments/lethal b mods/etc whenever they want to do ops.

No idea. Last time they changed the MK-8 to MK-9 but for now the only info is that there will be new tier of augments to craft.

The only reason why this was done, was because when 4.0 launched, there were no new tiers of materials. The new crafting skill cap increase (from 500 to 550) and the new grade 9 materials along with the mk-9 augmentation kits weren't ready for KOTFE's launch, and didn't come until 4.1 in January with Chapter 10. That's why, to make it fair, they gave a patch-cycle's worth of time where you could up-convert all the grade 8/mk-8 stuff.

Since everything is being included in 5.0, I doubt we'll be able to convert.

I am genuinely confused. If you don't do OPS and only PvP casually, why does any of this matter? What content is it that you are planning on doing that requires anywhere near the highest tiers of equipment/mods? I stopped running OPS with my guild a long time ago and just casually do solo content and heroics, have made no effort to gear up my character, and still can't find any content that is even mildly challenging. Am I missing something?

I can solo any solo content in 208 on the ACs I play well so the most challenging would be all 10 rounds of the EC. On other ACs, I can't do it unless I'm in higher level gear; especially those ACs that require I use my comp as a tank or I can't do my job properly.

There are ACs that I wouldn't be able to do the "One and Only" achievement for SF and hence can't earn the title for. In addition to this, I like to solo TPFs for fun and mounts/decos etc which I can do on the ACs I feel I can play very well and in better than 216 gear. Even if all of this was possible for every character I play in 208, I'd still rather have better gear so I can take it a little easier in such content and not have to micromanage my comp. I want to earn the gear now so I can take it just a little easier later.

You might thinks this is a L2P issue but really it's just a quality of life issue and we still don't know just how hard Master level chapters and Uprisings will be. TBH, I might be aiming for BiS with Set Bonus but I'll probably settle for whatever the equivalent of 220 will be and I want to be able to optimise. When I augment all my gear with crit and alacrity, I end up with a ton of endurance I don't need so the last thing I want is lettered mods and endurance heavy enhancements/ears/implants etc.

And even if none of the above applied, what does it matter if top gear is a goal of mine? It's my game and it's what I want to work towards. I just don't want to repeat the very long process 20+ times just so I can enjoy playing all my characters.