Guys playing girl characters.

Talsalus

You're going to be playing for hours looking at the screen and the backside of your character. I prefer to stare at a female backside, but I won't begrudge those of you that like to stare at a mans backsides. To each his own. :cool:

Dude you stole my thoughts :D

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

it depends...

for example my IA sniper is female human,otherwise BH mercenaly is male zabarak . I just feel this suits the class better .

and the main reason : female characters usualy had better animations at mmos :)

This. I always play a mix between male and female characters mostly based on the animations. In Perfect World, playing an archer as a female looked nice. Playing as a male just made him look too...pretty. Like he shouldn't be in the middle of a battle.

I just find polygonal bodies about as sexy as I find polygonal food delicious.

It's not real, hence it's incapable of creating physical emotions in me.

This is a very odd sentiment, and, if true, indicates a significant problem.

We humans are symbolic creatures. Very simple lines and squiggles can convey complex and powerful emotions -- for an easy to understand look at this, check out "Understanding Comics".

A 2-dimensional photo of a cat being cute is not a real cat, but I feel an emotional response to the image. Not as powerful as one I feel when I've got a real cat in my arms or I watch one play, of course, but it's still there.

To take your stand to the ultimate conclusion, you would feel nothing -- no emotional response -- to a Pixar movie, or to any kind of painting or drawing, or to drawn/animated ***********, or anything else which was not an actual photograph or video from life. You would feel no response to a statue -- it's just stone, right?, or to a painting.

This may indeed be true for you... but it's not a normal human reaction. Our ability to recognize and respond to symbols is one of the most fundamental things that MAKES us human. I'm not saying you should be uncontrollably aroused by a game avatar, but to say that you're *incapable* of having *any* emotional reaction to a piece of art is very, very, odd.

Definitely I can. My mind recognizes and I think of food, and If I haven't eaten in a while I'm thinking of food at that point so I become hungry. Same with the female form. We are all a collection of geometric shapes, and depending on how well it's represented in a video game then that form should tell your mind that you're looking at a female and by doing so you should get some kind of desire out of it. It's no different than looking at a statue or painting of the female body, our mind creates associations to that with desire.

So yes a painting of fruit can make me desire an apple, or an in-game model of a banana may make me want one of those as well. Again, it's essentially putting the thought in my head.

I would consider that a disconnect from reality.

*shrugs*

I actually played a female Gnome in WoW. The only time I ever did, and I played her for 7 years.

I don't think I ever created a female toon in MMO's before that.

This time I went male again, even though the female models are aesthetically appealing for a collection of pixels.

Guess I like my Dark Jedi to be manly. I like my Trooper to be manly too. I could see myself making a female Sage/Sorc though. My Gnome was a mage though, seems I associate Melee with male characters, and magic with female characters. Troopers are military units, I can't think of a female Trooper. Sorry.

It all has to do with the role I'm playing. Some roles simply cater to male characters in my mind.

Edited by Dekadez

If I am going to stare at a human rear end all day and night, I rather it be a females. I never roleplay as a female though, looking like on in game and pretending you are one... Those are two very separate boundaries.

I do not need to show my masculinity in game since I already have plenty in real life.

However, when the individual is actually aroused by those polygons... Well... :eek:

Same as being aroused by any other internet pixels. They're just as real or unreal, as far as anyone's concerned. You're just as likely to meet people you see on the internet IRL (and even if you do, it's been photoshopped anyway), therefore no pictures on the internet can arouse you? Sucks to be you, I've seen plenty pretty girls' pictures around, and they often look... pretty? Why should 3D be an exception, it's just aesthetics anyway.

They can create emotions, as I've already said.

They just can't create urges such as hunger or sexual desire.

A picture of video of an actual woman can, because that's an exact replication of an actual human being I could do nasty things with.

But a game character isn't a picture of video of an actual person, it is a collection of geometric shapes. That's what it is. It is a shape and nothing more than a shape.

When you see food in a game, do you become hungry?

If so, that would be a massive disconnect from reality.

Argh, I normally just lurk but the logic behind this post is a bit absurd. Said poster obviously has never seen the food in a Miyazaki film. God, that hand-animated ramen makes me hungry just looking at it...

I don't either since I make the separation myself... but in their defense, it's more what the geometric shapes imply rather than what they actually are. Case in point (but not from a video game): Jessica Rabbit. She's just a cartoon, but she is designed to be sexy. Add to that her very real, very human voice and you have a cartoon character who evokes images of a real, sexy woman in your mind.

It is very different from videogames, I agree. Generic game polygons are nowhere as expressive as the Jessica Rabbit character... However a well written character with a good voice actress and good design could still tickle the fancy in a healthy individual - but the person won't be literally aroused.

However, when the individual is actually aroused by those polygons... Well... :eek:

Definitely I can. My mind recognizes and I think of food, and If I haven't eaten in a while I'm thinking of food at that point so I become hungry. Same with the female form. We are all a collection of geometric shapes, and depending on how well it's represented in a video game then that form should tell your mind that you're looking at a female and by doing so you should get some kind of desire out of it. It's no different than looking at a statue or painting of the female body, our mind creates associations to that with desire.

So yes a painting of fruit can make me desire an apple, or an in-game model of a banana may make me want one of those as well. Again, it's essentially putting the thought in my head.

Stole the words out of my mouth. Saved me writing some essay about symbols and other art psychology. Heh.

Argh, I normally just lurk but the logic behind this post is a bit absurd. Said poster obviously has never seen the food in a Miyazaki film. God, that hand-animated ramen makes me hungry just looking at it...

I think Miyazaki is a bad person. He's the one that first got me into playing female characters!

Really, some of his films easily fit into the top 10 ever made classics, that story telling and art...

(I have everything he or his studio did in 1080p)

Edited by Truga

I would consider that a disconnect from reality.

*shrugs*

Not exactly because if I see a painting of a field, I don't try and run into the painting and roll in the grass. However, that painting may remind me of a field near the home I grew up in. A video game example of a disconnect from reality would be me falling in love with my female character, or thinking that she may have feelings for me.

Considering I find real ramen disgusting, I doubt the animated version would do much for me:P

Same as being aroused by any other internet pixels. They're just as real or unreal, as far as anyone's concerned. You're just as likely to meet people you see on the internet IRL (and even if you do, it's been photoshopped anyway), therefore no pictures on the internet can arouse you? Sucks to be you, I've seen plenty pretty girls' pictures around, and they often look... pretty? Why should 3D be an exception, it's just aesthetics anyway.

Unless it's really expertly crafted, 3D is nowhere near the realism of an actual picture/video of a pretty girl - and yeah an obviously photoshopped image will appeal to me less (just as very heavy makeup turns me off IRL) because it looks fake to me. Maybe I make this separation more because I've studied 3D animation and have become much more critical of the differences, I don't know (hope I didn't come off as pompous here BTW, I'm no Pixar artist or anything)... But as I said, the 3D model itself looks too "plastic" to me :)