Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

It's not Eric's Fault

Icykill_

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol.

In all seriousness though, it's crazy how much some people overestimate the power of a CM.

That said, if Eric ever leaves, or the game dies, whichever comes first, it'd be interesting to hear a tell-all interview on just where his power began and ended.

Yeah that would be an interesting tale, as long as it didn't impead on his employment in another area

Wow the excuses in this thread. Having has hands tied has nothing to do with telling lies to customers. For example, by saying "not enough people play ranked 8's to bring it back" even though there was never a season 1 with announced rewards, leaderboards, etc. to actually see how many played?

Obviously you've never watched a PR person try and manage information from a politician. I wonder how many lies, side steps and misinformation is currently being told leading up to the US election. But people are expected to accept this as normal, even though they are electing the most powerful leader in the world who has nuclear weapons at their disposal. God, how many of Trumps staff have quit because they just can't keep him on message. Wether they are lies or just stuff he hasn't told them, they can only do so much. Eric can only try and do his job based on what he is told and what he is allow to release.

Plus what if Eric is told something he believes is true and reports it to us, only to be told it's not true or they've changed their mind. He often tries to correct anything he has personally made a mistake of... maybe he just can't when it's misinformation he has been told.

So you are saying EA forces Eric Musco to tell lies?

No, but maybe he doesn't always get all the relevant information or they change their mind on something internally. Show me one post that Eric has made that is a 100% outright lie and that isn't just a mistake on his behalf that he later corrected.

I don't blame Eric at all. He gets the delightful job of having to tell us what they're doing and that sucks at the best of times, because inevitably someone, somewhere will be unhappy.

But if he is here and reading and listening to us, I do hope he passes it along that RNG for gear we spend hours on to earn is a very BAD idea. If my luck continues to hold, I'll be grinding for years to get a shirt when I own twenty pairs of pants...that's how it goes for me with everything else.

I also hope he tells them a new stronghold or two or three would be welcome. :o

Edited by Lunafox

I don't blame Eric at all. He gets the delightful job of having to tell us what they're doing and that sucks at the best of times, because inevitably someone, somewhere will be unhappy.

I always think of that PA strip that compared the job to having to carry angry bees around in your mouth.

But if he is here and reading and listening to us, I do hope he passes it along that RNG for gear we spend hours on to earn is a very BAD idea. If my luck continues to hold, I'll be grinding for years to get a shirt when I own twenty pairs of pants...that's how it goes for me with everything else.

I also hope he tells them a new stronghold or two or three would be welcome. :o

I'm sure he is listening and he'll pass it along... wether they bother to listen to him is another matter

I'm sure he is listening and he'll pass it along... wether they bother to listen to him is another matter

True enough, I wish they would listen to us. I'm willing enough to give the rest of the new update a whirl, but I'm really anti RNG boxes for the stuff we have to grind out.

True enough, I wish they would listen to us. I'm willing enough to give the rest of the new update a whirl, but I'm really anti RNG boxes for the stuff we have to grind out.

I hate the RNG idea.. but what really gets to me is the BoP and not bind to legacy. This whole thing is so anti-alts, wether they intended it that way or not.. we'll end up being limited to a few characters and the rest will be useless.. with 35 alts... I'm not happy...

I really do hope that the info Eric passes to the powers that be, gets listened too.

Have you ever had a job that pays the bills and puts food on the table? What a ridiculous statement. Grow up.

Yes, and I've quit such jobs when the owner of the company behaved in a way that I thought was dishonorable...

I have now owned my own business for a very long time and have employed many people. I reward and promote those who behave ethically and fire those who don't. It has served me well for a long time, I have a small group (about 12) of employees who look after me and my company and in return I look after them and share half the profits with them.

It has worked well for more than a decade... I would never run my company the way EA is running this place, it is a shame that they so completely don't care about their customers...

"Don't shoot the messenger!"

"Yeah, shooting's too good for him!"

^ That isn't funny and deserves a rebuttal, even if I suspect (hope) the comment was a joke.

For whatever complaints I have about Eric or his bosses, violence is not acceptable and shouldn't even be joked about. Nothing he or anyone else at Bioware have done comes even 1% close to that.

Yes, and I've quit such jobs when the owner of the company behaved in a way that I thought was dishonorable...

I have now owned my own business for a very long time and have employed many people. I reward and promote those who behave ethically and fire those who don't. It has served me well for a long time, I have a small group (about 12) of employees who look after me and my company and in return I look after them and share half the profits with them.

It has worked well for more than a decade... I would never run my company the way EA is running this place, it is a shame that they so completely don't care about their customers...

No ethical business people would run a company like EA does.

Obviously you've never watched a PR person try and manage information from a politician. I wonder how many lies, side steps and misinformation is currently being told leading up to the US election.

That is different... and the fault of the voters who want to be lied to... No politician who tells the truth is going to be elected to anything, and that is simply because the bulk of the population wants to hear lies.

"more social services, lower taxes"

Yea, those two aren't generally possible at the same time... But no one wants to hear that...

But people are expected to accept this as normal, even though they are electing the most powerful leader in the world who has nuclear weapons at their disposal.

You assume the President is the most powerful leader in the world. :) Obama hasn't been able to do a lot of what he wanted to do, because he isn't nearly as powerful as many people think. (such as closing Guantanamo Bay)

You also assume the President can just go around nuking anyone he wants... I strongly believe that if Trump became President and tried that, the military would refuse, and rightly so. There are sane people in the military, believe it or not. :)

Eric can only try and do his job based on what he is told and what he is allow to release.

Or he could stand up to his bosses and act as a two way street of information, and he could actually post more and reply to more and make sure there was a free-flow of information on the forums.

I would be embarrassed if this were my company at the horrible communication and community interaction that happens here. I'd want information to come out much sooner with a feedback period with the players. No, we wouldn't do EVERYTHING the players want, but the process of feedback would have avoided some of the bigger mistakes and it lets CUSTOMERS feel they are being heard.

As it stands, the CUSTOMERS largely feel ignored...

---

Note: In my many years of owning a company, the really good employees have stood up to me when it counted and said "we need to do X here to take care of our customer". I respect that and reward that, because as the boss, I don't always see a problem until it is too late and the front line staff catches it much sooner.

No, but maybe he doesn't always get all the relevant information or they change their mind on something internally. Show me one post that Eric has made that is a 100% outright lie and that isn't just a mistake on his behalf that he later corrected.

The Contraband Slot Machine mess... there were several direct lies told back then and I called Eric on it at the time in the 500 page thread...

Of course it is his fault, too.

Eric is just a lazy guy who always looking for excuses and try to find a way which is the Most comfortable for him.

He never stood up for the community! NEVER!

He could not even look into my eyes during cologne games com several years ago (the year they decided to drop 8vs8). He just talked How AMAZING Arenas will be - now look at the PvP com.

Sorry but he Is just a coward and a loser and he simply do not care for you guys. If he would have the possibility to get another Job for a New project i think he would leave immediately.

These Changes are insane even for Biofail.

That is different... and the fault of the voters who want to be lied to... No politician who tells the truth is going to be elected to anything, and that is simply because the bulk of the population wants to hear lies.

"more social services, lower taxes"

Yea, those two aren't generally possible at the same time... But no one wants to hear that...

You assume the President is the most powerful leader in the world. :) Obama hasn't been able to do a lot of what he wanted to do, because he isn't nearly as powerful as many people think. (such as closing Guantanamo Bay)

You also assume the President can just go around nuking anyone he wants... I strongly believe that if Trump became President and tried that, the military would refuse, and rightly so. There are sane people in the military, believe it or not. :)

Or he could stand up to his bosses and act as a two way street of information, and he could actually post more and reply to more and make sure there was a free-flow of information on the forums.

I would be embarrassed if this were my company at the horrible communication and community interaction that happens here. I'd want information to come out much sooner with a feedback period with the players. No, we wouldn't do EVERYTHING the players want, but the process of feedback would have avoided some of the bigger mistakes and it lets CUSTOMERS feel they are being heard.

As it stands, the CUSTOMERS largely feel ignored...

---

Note: In my many years of owning a company, the really good employees have stood up to me when it counted and said "we need to do X here to take care of our customer". I respect that and reward that, because as the boss, I don't

always see a problem until it is too late and the front line staff catches it much sooner.

Im lazy, so I won't reply in the format you did.

But here goes -

Yep, no one expect politicians to tell the truth.. sad but true

I just used the American presidency and the most power leader because in the past this has been true, but sadly it probably isn't anymore

Sure the president can't just go "nuke" who ever, but people are happy to put their trust in someone who tells lies and puts their own self agenda before their office and has control over the use of nukes in certain circumstances :confused:

It's not always as easy as it sounds to stand up to bosses, especially ones that might be domineering or intransigent. Regardless, I'm sure Eric does everything he can on his end. You can't always judge everything and everyone on your experiences and expectations, especially without all the facts. Having massive arguments or constant confrontation with your Boss is not conducent to a nice working environment for the person or co-workers around them.

I've managed many businesses and like yourself I now have one of my own. People who cause problems and disharmony because of confrontational attitudes, don't last long. I'm all for healthy discussions and I listen to peoples points of view, but at the end of the day it is my decision, not theirs. Once I've made that decision the discussion is over.

The manager or owner of any business is the last line of decision making. It's their responsibility to make the hard decisions, wether they are right or wrong, they have to live with it and its usually why they get paid the big bucks.

You have to remember it's not a democracy in the work place.

My career and my business has always relied on exceptional customer service standards. But every now and then you may have to disappoint your customers for what ever reason and it's great when staff bring things to your attention that you may not have known about and it's always good to give positive reinforcement when they do.

It's obvious that EA/Bioware management don't care about good customer service. But you can't throw Eric under the proverbial bus because of EAs management culture of not looking after their customers. It's not just swtor, EA treat all their customers this way, regardless of the game.

Remember, Eric is a human being, he deserves our respect for doing such an emotionally draining job. He is also just an employee and isn't the decision maker.

I've been on the end of abusive customers when it isn't my fault and there is nothing I can do, it's not nice. Maybe dial back the Eric hate and try and consider how he must feel when you attack his integrity.

Anyway, I think you know how I feel. If you can't empathise with the situation, then I can't convicnce you. And this could be an example of exactly the sort of impass Eric has to deal with. The only difference is Eric is subordinate in the discussion with his boss and has to give way.

The Contraband Slot Machine mess... there were several direct lies told back then and I called Eric on it at the time in the 500 page thread...

Sorry, but that isn't showing me a post where he lied. Please link it so I can make my own assessment of it and not just rely on hear say. I'm sure when you come to opinions or decisions in your business, you use facts and not just what someone tells you.

I'll happily concede he lied of his own accord and it wasn't because of backend pressure, if you can show me proof.

Of course it is his fault, too.

Eric is just a lazy guy who always looking for excuses and try to find a way which is the Most comfortable for him.

He never stood up for the community! NEVER!

He could not even look into my eyes during cologne games com several years ago (the year they decided to drop 8vs8). He just talked How AMAZING Arenas will be - now look at the PvP com.

Sorry but he Is just a coward and a loser and he simply do not care for you guys. If he would have the possibility to get another Job for a New project i think he would leave immediately.

These Changes are insane even for Biofail.

You should charge for your services as a clairvoyant. If you know exactly what is happening at Bioware and wether Eric stands up for the community or his hands are tied, you must be really gifted. As such, can you please tell me what next weeks lotto numbers are.

Have you ever thought he couldn't look you in the eye because he felt the same way you did, but was unable to do anything about it and had to tow the "party" line. I would find it hard to look people in the eye in that circumstance. Remember he would not have been able to publically defend himself to you and basically had to take it on the chin.

Also remember that the CM position is a PR position too. PR people often have to try and sell something or a point of view they may not 100% agree with, but that's their job. It was his job to talk up how great arena was supposed to be, that's what they told him to do. He also probably believed it himself because why would they lie to him?

I don't like any of the changes in this xpac either, but Eric's just the messenger and it's his job to try and sell it to us, no matter how bad it is or even if he likes it personally

I blame the Execs at EA's headquarters, may they all suffer from massive hemorrhoids.

No ethical business people would run a company like EA does.

There is no ethic in business, that's just a myth companys tell common folks to give them a false sense of security. :rak_03:

Edited by UmbralSpirit

I blame the Execs at EA's headquarters, may they all suffer from massive hemorrhoids.

There is no ethic in business, that's just a myth companys tell common folks to give them a false sense of security. :rak_03:

I run an ethically orientated business. So I guess there is at least one business ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.