Truth to rumors?

daveOreally

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wish the class/weapon choices hadn't had the effect of making the Blaster Rifle a shorter-ranged weapon than the Blaster Pistol.

(the only ACs that use a Rifle are melee-focused)

Commando can still use a Blast Rifle without losing too much. Maybe not ideal in a group or ranked PvP but any dps fall off is a non issue with solo pve/ heroics.

If I recall the sniper can get away with using a Blast rifle to knock about as well.

Commando can still use a Blast Rifle without losing too much. Maybe not ideal in a group or ranked PvP but any dps fall off is a non issue with solo pve/ heroics.

If I recall the sniper can get away with using a Blast rifle to knock about as well.

Out-of-box gameplay aside...

I'm actually not entirely sure why the Bounty Hunter uses pistols exclusively. Boba Fett carries a carbine (the prop looks like a stocked pistol), not a pistol, in the films, though Jango uses a pistol. I'd have given the Merc Rifle and Generator, myself. I'd also have given the Operative a pistol, not a rifle, a la James Bond; but that's just me.

• Dev Post
So for the second time in a week I've been hearing rumors in GC that the new expansion later next month will include expanding the weapons used by characters (i.e. Hunters will learn to use rifles, agents will learn to use pistols) has anyone else heard about this?

Hey daveOreally,

This is a good question, and one that we have received quite a few times over the past few years. Although we don’t normally comment on rumors, I thought this was a good one to jump in front of. As of right now, there are no intentions of expanding the weapons that are available to Classes.

It has always been our design goal that when a player sees another character, they would be able to tell what Class that player was at a quick glance. Part of that is tied into the weapon that they use. Right now if you see a Republic character running with a blaster rifle, you will assume they are a Vanguard. Two pistols, Gunslinger, and so on.

Hope that clears up any rumors :)

-eric

Hey daveOreally,

This is a good question, and one that we have received quite a few times over the past few years. Although we don’t normally comment on rumors, I thought this was a good one to jump in front of. As of right now, there are no intentions of expanding the weapons that are available to Classes.

It has always been our design goal that when a player sees another character, they would be able to tell what Class that player was at a quick glance. Part of that is tied into the weapon that they use. Right now if you see a Republic character running with a blaster rifle, you will assume they are a Vanguard. Two pistols, Gunslinger, and so on.

-eric

Hey eric quick question,

Does Bioware have any plans on the tabe to introduce a new class in the future? Has Bioware considered it?

Edited by DarthWoad

Hey daveOreally,

-eric

Did you guys realize that when you tab to a target, it actually tells you the Advanced Class they are, right there in the characters portrait? Two pistols could also be a BH...

Expanding weapons as a "cosmetic" option for characters, opens a whole portion of the Cartel Market that is currently only marginally useful. Your sales on armor had to skyrocket once the cosmetic tab was introduced...weapons would have a smaller, but similar impact. Obviously the restrictions would need to be ranged=ranged, melee=melee, saber=sabers.

Edited by TUXs

Hey daveOreally,

This is a good question, and one that we have received quite a few times over the past few years. Although we don’t normally comment on rumors, I thought this was a good one to jump in front of. As of right now, there are no intentions of expanding the weapons that are available to Advanced Classes.

It has always been our design goal that when a player sees another character, they would be able to tell what Advanced Class that player was at a quick glance. Part of that is tied into the weapon that they use. Right now if you see a Republic character running with a blaster rifle, you will assume they are a Vanguard. Two pistols, Gunslinger, and so on.

-eric

Fixed that for you ;)

It's a shame that we can't be given a few generic attack options with all weapon types for our own amusement :/

Edited by Vhaegrant

Did you guys realize that when you tab to a target, it actually tells you the Advanced Class they are, right there in the characters portrait? Two pistols could also be a BH...

Expanding weapons as a "cosmetic" option for characters, opens a whole portion of the Cartel Market that is currently only marginally useful. Your sales on armor had to skyrocket once the cosmetic tab was introduced...weapons would have a smaller, but similar impact. Obviously the restrictions would need to be ranged=ranged, melee=melee, saber=sabers.

It's nice to be able to spot their AC without having to target them, I will admit. OTOH, once outside of melee range, it's occasionally difficult to distinguish some weapons.

Hey daveOreally,

-eric

I'm sure.... someone... appreciates that. Oh wait -- no one does. This is not something the playerbase has asked for. In fact, since the advent of the Cartel Market, it's become increasingly easy to masquerade as another class (Sorcs looking like Juggernauts, Gunslingers looking like Mercenaries, etc.). You implemented advanced class symbols for a reason -- these should give you the peace of mind necessary to free up weapon usage. Yet it hasn't. Why?! You know as well as anyone that the Cartel Market -- creative freedom in customization -- is what's keeping this game alive. So why would you refuse to give players the creative freedom I know you can?

I'm posting on the forums, so clearly I'm subbed. But I'm not renewing it. I've played maybe 20 hours in the last four months. This game has nothing left to offer; it's dead -- stagnant. If you allow players to use other weapons of the same type (so, no Agent with a sword, obviously, but you could have a Juggernaut with a Doublesaber) the community will be VERY appreciative. Right now, your current stance is helping no one. You know as well as I do that the PvP scene is next to non-existent. So what's even the circumstance where you'd NEED to know someone's class (again, ignoring the obvious fact that class symbols already exist....).

If it's because of stat problems (which it probably is), add weapons to the outfit designer, and allow people the freedom to change weapon type in there. People have been asking for weapons in the outfit designer, anyway. So, you could accomplish two goals in one move, OOORRR... you could maintain your stance and make no one happy.

Know your audience. I mean, come on, why do I have to tell you that? A lot of the people playing this game are doing so for creative aspect (RPing with unique characters, decorating strongholds, etc.). I don't even think the ORIGINAL iteration of the community would've cared about 'class identification', especially if they had class symbols like we do now. No one's asking for what you're holding onto so tightly. Just let it go, and give this community what this community wants.

Hey daveOreally,

-eric

Hmm, that works in most cases but APG is cross faction so a rifle can mean both operative and vanguard. same with 2 pistols. at least an assault cannon is easily recognized. :)

It's nice to be able to spot their AC without having to target them, I will admit. OTOH, once outside of melee range, it's occasionally difficult to distinguish some weapons.

Or you could switch on the icon above their head ;)

Is that character running around with a single light sabre a Juggernaut or a Sorcerer!?

Also doesn't get around the issue with mixed teams on Odessen you have no idea if you are going against a Gunslinger or Mercenary.

I've had the concept of Tactical Transparency explained to me by a games designer and it's fine to a point. But really it's only a valid concern in PvP content :/

Hmm, that works in most cases but APG is cross faction so a rifle can mean both operative and vanguard. same with 2 pistols. at least an assault cannon is easily recognized. :)

What Eric pointed out... in conjunction with the class symbol above their heads solves that quite well IMO.

Or you could switch on the icon above their head ;)

Is that character running around with a single light sabre a Juggernaut or a Sorcerer!?

Also doesn't get around the issue with mixed teams on Odessen you have no idea if you are going against a Gunslinger or Mercenary.

I've had the concept of Tactical Transparency explained to me by a games designer and it's fine to a point. But really it's only a valid concern in PvP content :/

And it's only valid if you don't consider the SUPER OBVIOUS ICON YOU CAN TURN ON......

Here's how I see it. No one, especially no company with experienced individuals, is stupid enough to be stopped by a solved problem. So, it follows, then, that what they claim to be the reason.... isn't... the reason. I tend to think the it's fear of stat balancing, and/or the unwillingness to set up the animations for other weapons on a class, despite most of them already existing..

And it's only valid if you don't consider the SUPER OBVIOUS ICON YOU CAN TURN ON......

Here's how I see it. No one, especially no company with experienced individuals, is stupid enough to be stopped by a solved problem. So, it follows, then, that what they claim to be the reason.... isn't... the reason. I tend to think the it's fear of stat balancing, and/or the unwillingness to set up the animations for other weapons on a class, despite most of them already existing..

The Tactical Transparency argument is also a bit thin as the weapon / icon only narrows it down to the Advanced Class and not the Discipline.

Personally I feel the differences you may face between the Disciplines is every bit as large as the difference between some ACs and certainly is wide enough to counter most claims that TT is something that aids your counters. You really don't know what you are fighting until their rotation starts to kick in.

That's the Class icon, not Advanced Class. You need both class icon and weapon to categorize. And you're still missing essential information, because you can't tell Discipline. Are they DPS or ... not?

I'd rather have class icon + role icon, to be honest, both on the nameplate, not in targeting.

That's the Class icon, not Advanced Class. You need both class icon and weapon to categorize. And you're still missing essential information, because you can't tell Discipline. Are they DPS or ... not?

I'd rather have class icon + role icon, to be honest, both on the nameplate, not in targeting.

Nope they are AC icons

http://dulfy.net/2012/03/17/class-icons-for-1-2/

If you're in an arena you get to see the role of the character in the arena panel.

Still not much help in deciding what discipline a marauder or sniper happens to be ;)

Edited by Vhaegrant

Hey daveOreally,

-eric

I, personally, would love to be able to use a Lightpike like the Zakuul Knights use. It would be pretty easy to implement for most of the lightsaber using classes, but I can see how it would be difficult to put on the Guardian and sentinel/marauder. All the same: I'd buy them in a heartbeat for my Sage if available.

Nope they are AC icons

http://dulfy.net/2012/03/17/class-icons-for-1-2/

If you're in an arena you get to see the role of the character in the arena panel.

Still not much help in deciding what discipline a marauder or sniper happens to be ;)

And now I've learned something, thank you.

I know about the arena panel, that's why I brought it up in the first place.

I am in agreement that weapon choice does not give you enough relevant information. Knowing AC doesn't really matter, whether that info is obtained from class icon or from weapon choice.

And now I've learned something, thank you.

I know about the arena panel, that's why I brought it up in the first place.

I am in agreement that weapon choice does not give you enough relevant information. Knowing AC doesn't really matter, whether that info is obtained from class icon or from weapon choice.

We can't have weapon variety in PvE content because it would confuse PvP players too much.

We can't have exotic Star Wars species in PvP because no one wants to listen to them speak in cut scenes.

It's like every choice made was hampered by the other aspects of the game :(

I'd like to see a bit more freedom of weapon choice in the game, but not as much as I'd like to see Trandoshan, Wookiee, Rodian, Ithorian species (and others) opened up for players... even if it is only in a PvP aspect.

Edited by Vhaegrant

Thank you everyone for your responses. I'm glad the issue was quickly resolved in that Eric, having let us know where the developers stand, took the time to put the rumor straight. Although I disagree with it, in fact I think it'd be ten shades of awesome to bring some change to the game in a fun and different way, but it's fine. The world continues to turn and I'll continue to play. Thanks again everyone..

Thank you everyone for your responses. I'm glad the issue was quickly resolved in that Eric, having let us know where the developers stand, took the time to put the rumor straight. Although I disagree with it, in fact I think it'd be ten shades of awesome to bring some change to the game in a fun and different way, but it's fine. The world continues to turn and I'll continue to play. Thanks again everyone..

I wonder if you've stumbled onto a way to get gold text responses :o

Off to start a 'I heard a rumour on General Chat that 5.0 will bring Advanced Class swapping to the game.' :p

Eric went on a reply frenzy this afternoon.

I noticed that.

Most of them were reiterations of what's been stated in the past. I'm sure I've seen gold text with regards to weapon selection before so just restating their position hasn't changed on it. I guess those sort of answers don't have to go through any chain of command to clarify.

There is one that could be considered a slight tease on a possible direction KOtET will take the story.

Looking forward to the start of official news from 7th October and onwards.