ANNOYING that I am forced to do a chapter

Chiltonium

I know most wont care, but this has been absolutely infuriating. I don't want to do the next chapter right now. I want to finish my alerts, however I can NOT quick travel to a contact, I can NOT manually enter the base. It just starts auto doing the next chapter.

This is so frustratingly annoying, how is this a thing? I DONT WANNA DO IT RIGHT NOW, %#$#$%#!!!!!

Sorry, thought I'd vent and bring it up.

I know most wont care, but this has been absolutely infuriating. I don't want to do the next chapter right now. I want to finish my alerts, however I can NOT quick travel to a contact, I can NOT manually enter the base. It just starts auto doing the next chapter.

This is so frustratingly annoying, how is this a thing? I DONT WANNA DO IT RIGHT NOW, %#$#$%#!!!!!

Sorry, thought I'd vent and bring it up.

I agree that it is mildly annoying but I do understand it to an extent, in chapters 1-9 there are no breaks either and so 10-16 has the same "mechanic" (for lack of a better word). That being said, once you get past the intro to a given chapter and get into play mode you can exit out of the chapter and go do alerts or whatever.

Yep. Poor CS guy said that I wasn't the first to complain, that he'd even complained, and the studio decided to do nothing. Although, I've never had a quick travel bug unless you're trying to quick travel to someone in the war room. This only happens in certain chapters. It's not every one. Visions in the Dark, and any companion recruitment quest such as Torian, Kaliyo, Jorgan, Gault. We all feel your pain though.

hit the escape key

There is a bad little thing that prevents you from re-entering the war room. You can reset the instance, no dramas, but then it'll remove your companion and you will not be able to summon a new one. If you go back into the war room instance, the auto play will trigger the chapter's start. Hitting escape will start the cycle over again. This only happens in certain companion recruiting chapters.

I agree that it is mildly annoying but I do understand it to an extent, in chapters 1-9 there are no breaks either and so 10-16 has the same "mechanic" (for lack of a better word). That being said, once you get past the intro to a given chapter and get into play mode you can exit out of the chapter and go do alerts or whatever.

Chapters 1-9 weren't as episodic and happened one right after the other. While the Twelve-Thirteen could make sense since they cover one mission going on in the background, the others not so much.

hit the escape key

puts you right back outside the base, and you cant go in or quick travel to the contacts still, it just starts it all over again.

Yep. Poor CS guy said that I wasn't the first to complain, that he'd even complained, and the studio decided to do nothing. Although, I've never had a quick travel bug unless you're trying to quick travel to someone in the war room. This only happens in certain chapters. It's not every one. Visions in the Dark, and any companion recruitment quest such as Torian, Kaliyo, Jorgan, Gault. We all feel your pain though.

yea. The CS guys seem baffled by some decisions bioware made. Like I asked why I couldnt claim my armor sets I bought off the CM in 2012. He sais because they had mods in them, and ti would allow you to stock up mods.

Then went on to say he has no idea why stockpiling level 30 bound mods would matter, and he'd ask the devs cause he was just as confused as me lol.

Edited by Chiltonium

He sais because they had mods in them, and ti would allow you to stock up mods.

Then went on to say he has no idea why stockpiling level 30 bound mods would matter, and he'd ask the devs cause he was just as confused as me lol.

Kind of kills of part of the crafting market though.

The autoplay feature is quite annoying in some circumstances, if it's any consolation, as a non-subscriber it still auto plays and then locks you out of your personal phase (or did) due to no access to later chapters.

Yeah, the night I got back from the hospital I wanted to do something light-hearted and fun, so I went to do the Guss recruitment mission. Nope. There was no way to do that without first getting involved in the climactic battle against Arcann. One more reason for me to hate it...

It is frustrating for sure. Depending on the chapter though, you -can- get around it. Just spacebar and hammer any response until you gain control of your character, then teleport to the fleet or back to Odessen. Untrack the mission to get it out of your mind and when you're ready to actually do it, just reset it from the mission log. You can walk around Odessen safely, though as others have pointed out you may be unable to summon a companion while there, depending on the chapter in question.

yea. The CS guys seem baffled by some decisions bioware made. Like I asked why I couldnt claim my armor sets I bought off the CM in 2012. He sais because they had mods in them, and ti would allow you to stock up mods.

The elegant solution would be to let you reclaim the empty shells. I know I won't buy any of those sets until I can unlock them in my collection. It's a shame too, some of them are nice sets! Money left on the table Bioware! Money left on the table.

Kind of kills of part of the crafting market though.

The autoplay feature is quite annoying in some circumstances, if it's any consolation, as a non-subscriber it still auto plays and then locks you out of your personal phase (or did) due to no access to later chapters.

hows that kill the crafting market?

1) No one buys level 30 mods, you're 30 for like 20 minutes.

2) THEY'RE BOUND. YOU CANT SELL EM.

It definitely ranks as one of the more ill-thought-out mechanics I've seen in my time.

There should have been a toggle option in settings to turn off auto-play from the very beginning. That there wasn't and isn't still now is just :confused:

I mean, look, I don't think auto-play is a terrible feature in and of itself. When you actually want to keep going, it helps create a smooth, immersive experience and that's a cool thing. But what if you're on your fifth run through and you want to take your time? What if you don't have the time to do more than one chapter right now and you want to stop at the one you just finished? What if, as the OP did, you want to just complete some alerts? These are questions that I can't honestly believe they didn't ask themselves, so I'm flabbergasted as to why it wasn't handled with a simple toggle option.

And it's one way in which the vanilla story beats KOTFE. Cause in the vanilla story, you can pretty much stop anywhere, anytime, and it doesn't try to force you back in. This is your friendly neighborhood, Rolodome, reminding you, BW, that in a game like this, mechanics are tied to story, whether you want them to be or not. And people will remember the mechanics as part of the story experience.

Yeah, the night I got back from the hospital I wanted to do something light-hearted and fun, so I went to do the Guss recruitment mission. Nope. There was no way to do that without first getting involved in the climactic battle against Arcann. One more reason for me to hate it...

You can escape out of that one.

It definitely ranks as one of the more ill-thought-out mechanics I've seen in my time.

There should have been a toggle option in settings to turn off auto-play from the very beginning. That there wasn't and isn't still now is just :confused:

I mean, look, I don't think auto-play is a terrible feature in and of itself. When you actually want to keep going, it helps create a smooth, immersive experience and that's a cool thing. But what if you're on your fifth run through and you want to take your time? What if you don't have the time to do more than one chapter right now and you want to stop at the one you just finished? What if, as the OP did, you want to just complete some alerts? These are questions that I can't honestly believe they didn't ask themselves, so I'm flabbergasted as to why it wasn't handled with a simple toggle option.

And it's one way in which the vanilla story beats KOTFE. Cause in the vanilla story, you can pretty much stop anywhere, anytime, and it doesn't try to force you back in. This is your friendly neighborhood, Rolodome, reminding you, BW, that in a game like this, mechanics are tied to story, whether you want them to be or not. And people will remember the mechanics as part of the story experience.

Ugh, I had to stay up late last night because I got stuck on a Chapter that I didn't dare log out in the middle of out of fear I'd be stuck like in STO while on a mission and have to start over for logging out in the middle,

When actively going in search of force-sensitive Neelix is the more desirable alternative then you know something might be seriously wrong.