Target Enemy Arena 1-4 hot keys

SVTCarnage

Right now there is Target Group Member 1 - x, and that is great for healers.

However in WoW arena, I do not touch my left mouse button once I enter the arena. Having enemy target hot keys is really a big deal to me, I have wanted this for awhile. This makes the second thread I have made about it, its been awhile since I made the last one. I have also seen at least one other make a thread about it years ago. I just really think such a simple thing could surely be added, and wouldn't cause any harm.

So what we are looking at is here: http://imgur.com/Mt6oUHm

And far as clicking vs keybinding, I mean if your clicking anything in arena your a clicker. That is a fact. So I mean all you PvPers out there, that is something to think about. I mean if I am not in there with a good dps that I know I can sync with via setting focus target hot key, assist focus target's target hot key, then I am clicking when tab may or may not work for me.

So lets maybe petition this, or I don't know, something, get Bioware's attention on this. I mean it really such a simple thing.

Edited by SVTCarnage

It's extremely easy to target peoples in arena's just by clicking their name is the arena scoreboard. I never use my mouse for anything besides camera panning and targeting in arena's anyway. The only person I see who'd have an issue with this is peoples who use their mouse for ability clicking aka "clicker's". This option would barely even give you the slightest of advantages, and to me is entirely pointless. The amount of time and effort it takes to quickly move your mouse to the name of the player and then click, is about the same time it would take to move your finger over the button.

I don't imagine that inventing this feature would be very difficult. Also if clicking anything makes you a clicker, everyone is clickers, because right clicking to pan the camera is also clicking.

Based on everything I just said, the only ones who'd actually get any advantage from this is clickers, because it's far more troublesome for them to move their mouse over to the scoreboard than it's for a binder.

Edited by MachoLL
bad grammer, am tired

Ok your wrong, I mean it's a opinion, that is yours. Right clicking to pan/turn isn't what most would consider clicking. If your not using right click your keyboard turning and that is bad.

What you said would really back fire on you on arena junkies if this was WoW. It's your opinion though and what I am proposing be added is really simple, it's a preference.

Edited by SVTCarnage

Ok your wrong, I mean it's a opinion, that is yours. Right clicking to pan/turn isn't what most would consider clicking. If your not using right click your keyboard turning and that is bad.

What you said would really back fire on you on arena junkies. It's your opinion though and what I am proposing be added is really simple, it's a preference.

Please don't tell people they are wrong and then don't give a reason. If you seriously think that moving your mouse 3 inches and clicking is alot slower than hitting a button I am afraid you're the one who's wrong. Maybe if you've the scoreboard in the top on a huge 2k monitor it's gonna make a difference, but I don't see why you'd do that. Perhaps it's that I play on a small monitor and a small resolution that makes me see things this way, but whether I have a button assigned to target someone or have to move the mouse a couple of inches, it makes no difference.

Right clicking is still clicking, might be taking things out of context, but the literal meaning is the same. A clicker is a term used to define peoples who nearly exclusively uses the mouse to click on abilities, not peoples who may use it for convenience. Calling peoples a clicker because they use the mouse for targeting is just stupid.

I don't mean to come of as rude or anything, and you're right, it's just my opinion. And it may or may not be more advantageous for you, than it's for me. Since I always play on lower resolutions to get more frames and to confine things to a smaller space, I could imagine that's why we're disagreeing.

As far as WoW goes, I don't really care since I absolutely cannot play the game for more than a couple of hours before falling asleep, having a bot, I mean a macro do everything for me is extremely boring imo. I for one am really glad this isn't WoW and that SWTOR doesn't do things like WoW does. At the end of the day, whether this feature is or isn't added, I don't really care I guess. And if alot of other peoples thinks like you do, I am sure it'll be added sooner or later.

Let's take out Target Group Member hot keys, *****it I'll click those frames. I agree, man I think I may even start clicking a couple more abilities, it doesn't take long, my monitor is small shooot, ain't a thing.

This SVTCarnage punk trying to come up in here and suggest something that would take the developers 15min to put in.

I like this idea, I'd also like to see their cast bars as well

Well you can see channeled abilities in game, but I know what your saying. I mean now that is something that would be a bigger deal to add then just simply adding Enemy Arena Targets. Even having channeled bars on the frames wouldn't be much work, but Bioware would haft to add it. I just simply want the option to use Enemy Target hot keys for 4v4s, it really is not a lot to ask from Bioware.

Edited by SVTCarnage

Let's take out Target Group Member hot keys, *****it I'll click those frames. I agree, man I think I may even start clicking a couple more abilities, it doesn't take long, my monitor is small shooot, ain't a thing.

This SVTCarnage punk trying to come up in here and suggest something that would take the developers 15min to put in.

Please don't give me any of "I may even start clicking a couple more abilities" bs, since the amount of time it takes to do a rotation with the mouse and the time it takes to target a person is not even worthy of a comparison. Either way I have said my piece and given my own opinion, I don't intend on having a debate over a feature that is not even present yet. Perhaps if you played more FPS games the meaning of resolution sizes and monitor sizes wouldn't be lost on you.

Also just for the record, I have never ever even a single time used the target group members binds. Whether they are removed or not, I don't care. But taking out a feature is always a mistake, the removal of 8v8 ranked proves this.

Please don't tell people they are wrong and then don't give a reason. If you seriously think that moving your mouse 3 inches and clicking is alot slower than hitting a button I am afraid you're the one who's wrong. Maybe if you've the scoreboard in the top on a huge 2k monitor it's gonna make a difference, but I don't see why you'd do that. Perhaps it's that I play on a small monitor and a small resolution that makes me see things this way, but whether I have a button assigned to target someone or have to move the mouse a couple of inches, it makes no difference.

Right clicking is still clicking, might be taking things out of context, but the literal meaning is the same. A clicker is a term used to define peoples who nearly exclusively uses the mouse to click on abilities, not peoples who may use it for convenience. Calling peoples a clicker because they use the mouse for targeting is just stupid.

I don't mean to come of as rude or anything, and you're right, it's just my opinion. And it may or may not be more advantageous for you, than it's for me. Since I always play on lower resolutions to get more frames and to confine things to a smaller space, I could imagine that's why we're disagreeing.

As far as WoW goes, I don't really care since I absolutely cannot play the game for more than a couple of hours before falling asleep, having a bot, I mean a macro do everything for me is extremely boring imo. I for one am really glad this isn't WoW and that SWTOR doesn't do things like WoW does. At the end of the day, whether this feature is or isn't added, I don't really care I guess. And if alot of other peoples thinks like you do, I am sure it'll be added sooner or later.

I'm not sure how you control your character if you only use your mouse to target. Are you keyboard turning? You should know that the two big "omg noob! l2p!" insults are keyboard turners and clickers. Clickers as you pointed out click on their bars and this puts a slight delay on all the things they do. With swtors 1.5 sec enforced global cd this doesn't actually hurt dps much, where you see the issues are in interrupts, cc breaks, defensive cds etc. A keyboard turner how ever is crippled while facing a mouse mover as I can literally run around you in a circle constantly hiting your back while you cannot hit me, you just get spammed with line of sight errors. You would be better off being a clicker then a keyboard turner in swtor pvp. Ofc most clickers ARE keyboard turners and vice versa.

I use my mouse in game by holding both buttons down to move. I can't click abilties as to do this means I can't move. I can't start clicking targets on my ops frame to heal them either, again I have to stop moving to do this and in pvp movement is life. Its left some nasty people criticising my healing as my target switching sucks. If you not my focus target I can't promise to reliably heal you if I'm not being allowed to free cast. The option to target enemy team players via hot keys would be a god send for both myself and the OP. You come across as very hostile/defensive? why?

It's extremely easy to target peoples in arena's just by clicking their name is the arena scoreboard. I never use my mouse for anything besides camera panning and targeting in arena's anyway.

As a response to @LadyDarkkitten, as you can see I already said that I use my mouse for camera panning, which is rotating the camera with my mouse. Of course I am not rotating with the keyboard.

Clicking an enemy is a bad idea although; its not like you have to be turning at the moment. If you are doing it a lot then you are hurting your turning.

That said; my only problem with this is I don't think you should even have the enemy team listed on your screen the way it is in arenas. Since that is probably never going anywhere then; why not?

I always read this stuff through the eyes of someone who is writing a lot. On the keyboard. And it makes me chuckle inside.

I always do wonder if hardcore PvP players to bind their text formatting commands with their mouse keys as well ?

Do hardcore PvP players even write longer texts ( several pages long, that is ) ?

It's extremely easy to target peoples in arena's just by clicking their name is the arena scoreboard. I never use my mouse for anything besides camera panning and targeting in arena's anyway. The only person I see who'd have an issue with this is peoples who use their mouse for ability clicking aka "clicker's". This option would barely even give you the slightest of advantages, and to me is entirely pointless. The amount of time and effort it takes to quickly move your mouse to the name of the player and then click, is about the same time it would take to move your finger over the button.

I don't imagine that inventing this feature would be very difficult. Also if clicking anything makes you a clicker, everyone is clickers, because right clicking to pan the camera is also clicking.

Based on everything I just said, the only ones who'd actually get any advantage from this is clickers, because it's far more troublesome for them to move their mouse over to the scoreboard than it's for a binder.

I have to disagree on small point if its chaotic and bunch of peeps running close together it can be a pain to click a specific person. There are times when we are all waiting for match to start and everyone is inspecting peoples gear and that one guy who's hoppin around moving next to peeps makes it a pain. Of course the solution is to just click the persons tab in ops window thing way easier than trying to click on actual character

Edited by Kazz_Devlin

In my opinion there should be zero indication of who or what is on the enemy team. Nothing until you see them in battle and only then a name. Class and type should be 100% hidden. I feel people should watch for abilities to discover who they are fighting. I mean do people go to war in real life and select a target and if says "spy". Like how will you know what they are until an ability is used. Half the time people quit just because they fear the team composition. I like mystery but this is a mmorpg so its not like that is really possible. I think it would be interesting is all. :)

I don't know if i get it, but Is the issue here that it's impossible to keybind "target enemy" beyond one? I only have bound "target nearest enemy" in that regard and I have wondered about this, because pvp is so chaotic in this game. Focus target would be close to this, but not quite the same. I know you can target individual group members 1 to 3 with keys.

Please don't tell people they are wrong and then don't give a reason. If you seriously think that moving your mouse 3 inches and clicking is alot slower than hitting a button I am afraid you're the one who's wrong.

you are wrong. your right mouse button should always be depressed as it is how you should be turning/looking, meaning you cannot move the mouse across the screen to click on names in the scoreboard.

it's not simply about moving your mouse and clicking. it's that you cannot do that AND do what you should be doing with the mouse.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really trying to push this in the case that in 5.0 Group Rank picks up. I'm realistic, I would be surprised if one developer has read this section of the forum in the past month. I mean I could post **** and unless someone reported it, I'd stay up for awhile.

However this is entry level 1 basic 10min work here, and man the off chance you get WoW arena players over here they are going to bind those keys before even Qing a 4v4. So just add it.

Edited by SVTCarnage

I don't see why not. Seconds are precious things in PvP. Hell, even milliseconds are.

Slightly off-topic but related: Is there a trick to targeting people faster to heal them with raid frames? I've always, always struggled with this as a healer, whether in PvP or Raids. I remember in a past game where I raided a lot, I would have a keybind for the tank, usually, but that was about all I could manage. Clicking frames is such a PITA.