Old subscriber/Collector's Edition stuff

DarkArbitrator

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple just sub it's only 15 a month and time cards are decently priced imo so just stay subbed til the game ends or you find a better mmo. Do I like the way it was done did I qualify both no the former I see tantamount to reselling cut content ala javik but the rules were clear sadly.. I hope they are cool and release it for the bingers before kotet at bw's price.

How bout a compromise for 40 bucks he's all yours plus exclusive stuff

• 2 weeks later...

I completely agree that content should not be permanently restricted based on real-world time. Give out promotional items to subscribers, sure. But at least allow those with fluctuating circumstances to obtain the items at some later date, even if it costs significantly more.

It's not a matter of handouts or entitlement. It's a matter of opportunity. Now that my situation has changed, give me the opportunity to give Bioware a bunch of money.

But why? Why choose to say 'no, you can't have that because reasons'. Why not let Johnny have the thing? It has no material impact upon you, so what reason do people have to say that Johnny should not have the thing?

By this, I assume you mean greed. To me, 'promotional windows' are simply psychological tricks used on people to promote desire by exploiting their base psychology. Creating artificial scarcity and demand. My point is, we don't have to live that way, we don't have to accept that people should be denied things just because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time because of entirely arbitrary reasons. Why is it greed to want to be able to enjoy things that are arbitrarily denied to you? Or, from a different angle, why do people feel the need to deny others things when it could be arranged that others could access those things? To me, that's also greed, the desire for exclusivity. The desire to be the special flower. I get that we live in a capitalist society, and so they need our money to function. I just think if you're going to have a model, Early Access is better/fairer than Only Access. If you think I'm wrong, explain to me why it should be Only Access and why people should be not allowed to access things if they can't afford it at the time because of entirely arbitrary reasons. Other things in life, (within reason) I can save up for if I 'really' want it.

No, that would be Only Access. Pre-orders get to access things early, then after that everyone can access the thing.

The answer to your questions is "Capitalism" ... That's why Jonny can't have everything without paying for it, it's also why promotional windows exist along with marketing incentives.

Edited by Angry_Android

The answer to your questions is "Capitalism" ... That's why Jonny can't have everything without paying for it, it's also why promotional windows exist along with marketing incentives.

He didn't say anything about getting things without paying.

Edited by Murasakikitsune

OP you're barking up the wrong tree with this issue. People who subbed at the time don't want others to have the stuff they got because it would invalidate their reason for subbing. People who want the stuff but didn't sub at the time think it's stupid they get left out. Then there are the people who don't care either way.

I myself quit playing and uninstalled after they announced the DvL requirements weren't going to be retroactive, that I'd have to delete one of my 22 toons that I've put countless millions of credits and thousands of cartel coins into, or move to a server I don't play on to participate. I won't be getting anything from the DvL once I come back to finish the story in 45% download and I've missed whatever sub rewards they've offered since I quit. I don't want or need them so it's no problem for me.

As for the stuff I already have unlocked from my 5 years(give or take a few months) of service, no I'm not going to be upset and raged that they offer them to other people who don't have it, I don't even care if they give it for free. Let people have that title that does nothing, or that companion that is just like the 50 other companions, or that gear shell that provides the same benefits/looks at some other shell in the game(looking at you Troublemaker Jacket), heck give them that recolored hk-51 too.

Why should he be any less entitled than anyone else? If he's willing to spend the money, he shouldn't be permanently restricted due to timing issues.

Actually those timing issues are EXACTLY why he is not entitled to those things he wants, but cannot have.

It makes no difference how much money he is "willing to spend".

Try going to a convention and missing the window for the meet and greet. Let me know how complaining that you should not be permanently restricted due to "timing issues" works out for you.

Try going to a store the week after a sale ends and let me know how complaining that you should not be locked out of the sale price due to "timing issues" works out for you.

Some things are only available for a limited time, both in real life and in games. If you miss that limited time window, you miss out on the opportunity to obtain those items.

There is nothing wrong with that. No one is being "punished".

Actually those timing issues are EXACTLY why he is not entitled to those things he wants, but cannot have.

It makes no difference how much money he is "willing to spend".

Try going to a convention and missing the window for the meet and greet. Let me know how complaining that you should not be permanently restricted due to "timing issues" works out for you.

Try going to a store the week after a sale ends and let me know how complaining that you should not be locked out of the sale price due to "timing issues" works out for you.

Some things are only available for a limited time, both in real life and in games. If you miss that limited time window, you miss out on the opportunity to obtain those items.

There is nothing wrong with that. No one is being "punished".

In an MMO, I think that's a bad design choice. In the real world I'm free to make what I want. It may be difficult or expensive, but I can do it.

I'm a decent 3D modeler, and I could create any of the items I want in SWTOR. But obviously I can't upload them into the game, so I'm bound by SWTOR's arbitrary lockouts. This is part of what makes SWTOR a frustrating experience. If they don't want my business, then they're not entitled to it.

Why should he be any less entitled than anyone else? If he's willing to spend the money, he shouldn't be permanently restricted due to timing issues.

Yes, he *should* be permanently restricted due to timing issues.

These special stuffs aren't just 'fluff', they have meaning behind them, meaning that becomes meaningless if they're just given away or sold to anyone at any time.

What the stuffs are (ie. item/title/companion/chapter) and what they are 'worth' (ie. time/money) DO NOT MATTER, it's the MEANING behind them that matters, and THAT'S why people want them.

Not everything is available to everyone all the time and that's OK.

I'm a decent 3D modeler, and I could create any of the items I want in SWTOR. But obviously I can't upload them into the game, so I'm bound by SWTOR's arbitrary lockouts. This is part of what makes SWTOR a frustrating experience. If they don't want my business, then they're not entitled to it.

Then don't give them your business. You have the power to control what you do and do not but, just like others, you seem to want them to do everything for you instead.

Do any other games allow their players to make their own models and upload them?

Edited by PetFish

Hi all,

So yeah, I feel like people shouldn't be punished for being poor or encountering financial difficulties. I'd much rather see an 'Early Access' model than an 'Only Access', where you can only have access to content if you happened to have enough money at the time to afford the Collector's Edition or subscribe. I speak as someone who has the collector's edition and feel frustrated that potentially one of the best bits of RP gear, the Imperial Trooper armour has been locked behind such a massive paywall.

I also speak as someone who went through a year or two of financial difficulty and so have missed out on a number of HK rewards, and given that Bioware seem to have done such a fantastic job of making HK an amazingly engaging character, it does disappoint me that I won't be able to access him at all, ever, simply because I was being screwed over by RL circumstances.

I understand EA have to make a revenue, and I don't expect everything to be handed out for free, but if things were put on the Cartel Market for a period of time after others who 'bought the thing' or 'had enough money at the time', for those who end up finding themsleves in a better place, it would at least give people a chance to catch up on content they've missed. I wouldn't even care if I had to wait a year before being able to access it, just knowing that if I spent some time saving up for it, whilst I might not have money at the time when it was 'available', I could at least get it later.

So, that's my suggestion for the Cartel Market. Allow people a chance to purchase things they've missed out on because life just wasn't being kind to them at the time. Don't kick people whilst they're down.

The same armor, which can be dyed, is available via credits on the Makeb reputation vendor (Imp side). Has been for over three years now. So, your first point is entirely invalid. Actually this armor is better because it is BoL, not BoB.

I support HK-55 being placed on the CM with purchase options similar to Treek. For the record, he isn't that great of a companion. The best part of him comes when he isn't even with you as a companion. Beyond those few hilarious lines (available on Youtube) ... you aren't missing anything. HK-55 was, simply put a "stay subscribed while we get our act together" gimmick. Nothing more. Bringing him back was a mistake and entirely removed the emotion of his sacrifice.

I was unemployed from January 2015-June 2016. I feel your pain on that front .... but I still found $15/month to stay subscribed. Mostly by game card. Not comparing, nor do I know your circumstances, just saying what mine were.

HK-55 nor the CE Imperial Armor are content. They are both basically items. The HK "chapter" is pure garbage in my opinion. In my opinion none of the HK related items nor HK+ZO0M were worth remaining subscribed.

Yes, he *should* be permanently restricted due to timing issues.

These special stuffs aren't just 'fluff', they have meaning behind them, meaning that becomes meaningless if they're just given away or sold to anyone at any time.

What the stuffs are (ie. item/title/companion/chapter) and what they are 'worth' (ie. time/money) DO NOT MATTER, it's the MEANING behind them that matters, and THAT'S why people want them.

Not everything is available to everyone all the time and that's OK.

Then don't give them your business. You have the power to control what you do and do not but, just like others, you seem to want them to do everything for you instead.

Do any other games allow their players to make their own models and upload them?

This isn't some big moral quandary. One could just as easily criticize all the other suggestion threads. "I'd like to see Kashyyyk." "Entitlement!"

It's simple supply and demand. People want to buy something something, and these forums allow the devs to respond. If it will improve peoples' gameplay experience, then they may respond. If not, then so be it. I have very little interest in what other people claim as their status symbols.

Edit: Second Life does, but that's better described as a 3D internet than a game. Maplestory 2 allows a little bit, though I'm still waiting for it to be released worldwide. This is kind of an irrelevant point, though. The main point is that this much less of a free market than I'd like it to be.

This isn't some big moral quandary. One could just as easily criticize all the other suggestion threads. "I'd like to see Kashyyyk." "Entitlement!"

You're right. It's not a moral quandary. It's very simple. If you meet the requirements to obtain a particular subscriber reward than you get that reward. If you do NOT meet those requirements, then you are NOT ENTITLED to have that reward.

If you own the CE, then you have access to the CE vendor. If you do NOT own the CE, then you are NOT ENTITLED to have access to that vendor.

It's simple supply and demand. People want to buy something something, and these forums allow the devs to respond. If it will improve peoples' gameplay experience, then they may respond. If not, then so be it. I have very little interest in what other people claim as their status symbols.

People have been posting on these forums for years whining, crying, begging, pleading to obtain subscriber rewards which they KNOW they are NOT entitled to have and getting very upset at anyone who does not agree that BW should cater to their entitlement.

To date, though, BW has never released any of the subscriber rewards, or access to the CE vendor to those who did NOT meet the requirements for the subscriber rewards or access to the CE vendor.

IMO, BW has already answered all of those demands from players demanding that BW cater tot heir entitlement by allowing them to have something they KNOW they are NOT ENTITLED to have by continuing to keep those subscriber rewards exclusive to those that MET the criteria to obtain them and keeping access to the CE vendor EXCLUSIVE to those that own the CE.

You're right. It's not a moral quandary. It's very simple. If you meet the requirements to obtain a particular subscriber reward than you get that reward. If you do NOT meet those requirements, then you are NOT ENTITLED to have that reward.

If you own the CE, then you have access to the CE vendor. If you do NOT own the CE, then you are NOT ENTITLED to have access to that vendor.

People have been posting on these forums for years whining, crying, begging, pleading to obtain subscriber rewards which they KNOW they are NOT entitled to have and getting very upset at anyone who does not agree that BW should cater to their entitlement.

To date, though, BW has never released any of the subscriber rewards, or access to the CE vendor to those who did NOT meet the requirements for the subscriber rewards or access to the CE vendor.

IMO, BW has already answered all of those demands from players demanding that BW cater tot heir entitlement by allowing them to have something they KNOW they are NOT ENTITLED to have by continuing to keep those subscriber rewards exclusive to those that MET the criteria to obtain them and keeping access to the CE vendor EXCLUSIVE to those that own the CE.

I could make the same argument in reverse. Imagine Bioware re-releases old items for purchase. Some people complain because the free items they got from subscribing are no longer special, even though other people have to pay extra for them. Why should Bioware cater to them when they could be making more money by periodically releasing old content?

Also, my own argument is not about the collector's edition. My argument is only about time and permanent exclusivity. I think if someone wants something, they ought to have the opportunity to earn it.

There was a very similar situation in ESO after launch. People who bought a special edition at launch could play as any race in any faction. Some wanted it to be exclusive and special. Others wanted it to be available for newer players because we like sharing things in common with people. Some of us cross-faction roleplayers really missed the interaction with others from our characters' cultural backgrounds. They finally re-released it and nobody complained. If anything, my own game experience benefits from other people having the same opportunities I've had.

1) It's not simple supply and demand. However, it *is* simple "get it at <TIME> or you won't ever get it" and now people want it simply cuz people can't have it.

2) You *do* have a LOT of interest in these "status symbols" so your declaration that you have none is false.

3) Finally, this dead horse has been beaten enough but people still won't take the hint and move on so your "so be it" declaration is also false cuz *you* won't let it go.

I think if someone wants something, they ought to have the opportunity to earn it.

Someone *did* have the opportunity to earn it and they missed it for <reasons> (that don't matter) and now someone wants it just cuz they can't have it.

TL;DR - Let it go.

Edited by PetFish

1) It's not simple supply and demand. However, it *is* simple "get it at <TIME> or you won't ever get it" and now people want it simply cuz people can't have it.

2) You *do* have a LOT of interest in these "status symbols" so your declaration that you have none is false.

3) Finally, this dead horse has been beaten enough but people still won't take the hint and move on so your "so be it" declaration is also false cuz *you* won't let it go.

Someone *did* have the opportunity to earn it and they missed it for <reasons> (that don't matter) and now someone wants it just cuz they can't have it.

TL;DR - Let it go.

I can let it go. I'm not going to campaign over it. Maybe just drop a message in the suggestions forum every once in a while. If Bioware wants to do it, that's their decision.

What I take issue with is this idea that people are entitled or whining just for wanting something added to the game.

I can let it go. I'm not going to campaign over it. Maybe just drop a message in the suggestions forum every once in a while. If Bioware wants to do it, that's their decision.

What I take issue with is this idea that people are entitled or whining just for wanting something added to the game.

This is not a case of people asking for something to be added to the game, such as new OPS, or new FP's.

This is a case of people asking to be given access to something already in the game that they KNOW they are NOT entitled to have. That is why the term "entitlement" is being used to describe those asking for things which they KNOW they are not entitled to have. In this case, the term "entitlement" applies, IMO.

Missing a promotional window is not a punishment so enough of that nonsense.

We all have lives and commitments outside of swtor so enough of that nonsense as well as it's insulting to me that you think that just cuz I have something you don't that somehow I have no real-life concerns that I have to juggle. Just stop it.

It's up to each person to choose what they do with their money and what their priorities are. It's not up to BioWare or anyone else to try and take into account every single persons' unique situation since that's actually impossible.

You missed the promo window cuz you had other things going on and that's great. You prioritized as you saw fit. You're not going to get everything you want in life and that's ok.

{But, if you want to be ridiculous, instead of blaming BioWare, how about blaming the cause of your financial situation for punishing you in that you missed a video game promotional incentive?}

I know really. Whenever someone doesn't have something old or exclusive in this game that they want: WAH about it, and expect everyone else to cave in.

Missing a promotional window in this game can be the life or death of you, simple as.

This happened to me, I mean, I subbed for 6 months in March when I joined becuse I thought I could get HK-55. I didn't even get the jetpack. Silly me, seeing a shiny and rushing of to grab it up. That is not a complaint.

The complaint is this, I had just left another relationship and decided to play this in leiu of, so the last of my frivolous budget goes to pay for the sub.

So then someone randomly messages me about crafting and an unlock thing you can buy.

Crap.

I did not have and could not get it, and so the players who did can craft all this cool OP stuff while I'm screwed. But its not just me. So I blew them off because all they were doing was rubbing it in how pointless playing this for me was, because I couldn't donate and buy the LE OP Thing at the drop of a hat.

So, I nubbed along, and here I am, at a point where I can donate, learn crafting and whatever whatever,

It doesn't matter. I can only craft garbage, so if anyone's wondering why I'm not shelling out for cosmetics, its because I don't care about that. Fine. I get the game is pay to win, but if you want any money out of me, I'd better see some win.

As it stands the gap between the haves and have nots is so wide and no amount of donating can fix it.

I would have to grind about $18,000,000 per character to get good equips as a nub with no friends.

Its easy not to give up under these conditions. I hope anyone looking to join this game will see this and realise the futility of it all before wasting any ££ or $$ or whichever currency they don't want to waste. new players do not have and can not get what it takes. I don't see how this game has survived this long, but I watch with interest to see how long it struggles in its death throes.

That is all.

Personally I could care less about the HK chapter, I can watch that on Youtube and it's fine. I wouldn't mind seeing Nico Okarr & HK-51 (and maybe Shae Visla 6 months from now or so as well) available for 2500-3000 CC each. I think that's more than fair for the companions. I'd definitely pay to get Nico, as he's the only sub companion I don't have.

As for the HK chapter, if you were gonna do 120 dollars or w/e , like some are suggesting. It would have to be a $120 "HK bundle", with everything from all the months. That would be the only way to justify the price. $120 for just the chapter is silly, and nobody in their right mind would pay it.