Vector Hyllis: Worst Romance Ever

Reluctance

Frankly, I never saw Vector as a "bug" since he's got nothing of it but the mental connection with the hive mind.

I must admit that it took me some time to warm up to him but I wouldn't change him. His voice, his dialogues and his first clumsiness into relating to others made him quite the charmer.

Another thing I really enjoyed about Vector's conversations are that they aren't all happening at the same place. Some are in the cargo hold, some at the ship's entrance, others at the holoterminal, one in the Agent's bedroom and he is even seen in the infirmary.

You don't have that variety of cinematic editing with the companions of the other classes. Seeing Vector walking around the ship made the whole relationship more alive, more real.

I love my Vector ^^

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing I really enjoyed about Vector's conversations are that they aren't all happening at the same place. Some are in the cargo hold, some at the ship's entrance, others at the holoterminal, one in the Agent's bedroom and he is even seen in the infirmary.

You don't have that variety of cinematic editing with the companions of the other classes. Seeing Vector walking around the ship made the whole relationship more alive, more real.

I really liked that they did this too. I also really like how Vector's basic companion story line has an actual plot to it, with tension, an antagonist, and a climactic ending. I don't have a lot to compare Vector's story to yet, but I have not seen anything like this with my smuggler's companions.

And can I just say something about that ending? There's still some closure I'd like to see, namely -

that Falner Oeth needs to be punished... preferably by being forcibly turned into a Joiner. Mwahahaha! That would be suitable. Although it would have to be to a colony in some remote corner of the galaxy, because who would want him? Then maybe we could go visit him once in a while, to watch him scurry around doing manual labor for the Killiks, and pat him on the head and feed him thimbles of membrosia if he's really well behaved.

I can't help but feel like there is a lot of Vector's story still yet untold, however. I hope we get more out of him in the future.

I really liked that they did this too. I also really like how Vector's basic companion story line has an actual plot to it, with tension, an antagonist, and a climactic ending. I don't have a lot to compare Vector's story to yet, but I have not seen anything like this with my smuggler's companions.

And can I just say something about that ending? There's still some closure I'd like to see, namely -

that Falner Oeth needs to be punished... preferably by being forcibly turned into a Joiner. Mwahahaha! That would be suitable. Although it would have to be to a colony in some remote corner of the galaxy, because who would want him? Then maybe we could go visit him once in a while, to watch him scurry around doing manual labor for the Killiks, and pat him on the head and feed him thimbles of membrosia if he's really well behaved.

I can't help but feel like there is a lot of Vector's story still yet untold, however. I hope we get more out of him in the future.

eh..hes not THAT bad

got that pesky daisana out of the way :jawa_angel:

and cuuuute darth smurfspawn <3

i should take pics of my agent's kids ( just don't tell her where the youngest- my femsmug, ended up, she still gets an allowance :cool: )

It's funny, some people are like "Ugh Vector, he's a bug and all he talks about are bugs", but the so-called "single mindedness" actually gives you a nice flowing plot. The next closest would probably be Quinn and his problems with Moff Broysc. But most companions just seem to be "hey, this happened, I'm gonna go fix it", then that plot is closed, next few convos will babble a bit about random things, then the next "Hey I'm gonna go fix this problem" is new and doesn't relate to anything they've mentioned before (sometimes, but not usually).

It's funny, some people are like "Ugh Vector, he's a bug and all he talks about are bugs", but the so-called "single mindedness" actually gives you a nice flowing plot. The next closest would probably be Quinn and his problems with Moff Broysc. But most companions just seem to be "hey, this happened, I'm gonna go fix it", then that plot is closed, next few convos will babble a bit about random things, then the next "Hey I'm gonna go fix this problem" is new and doesn't relate to anything they've mentioned before (sometimes, but not usually).

If you factor in his Act 1 SIS Agent Voloren thing, Quinn's single-minded theme isn't just about Broysc; it's about hunting down and executing the vendettas he's been fantasizing about for ten years. Which is, uh, a perfectly valid lifestyle choice, and does give him a certain continuity of character.

I haven't finished Risha, but I believe her family background and Dubrillion aspirations form a decent storyline. T7-01 settles into a single line of inquiry, with frequent stops for status updates and requests for reassurance (d'awww). Pierce, now, Pierce is a monomaniac.

So Vector isn't alone in having a fixation. It's just that, unlike his peers, he has an obvious physical manifestation of his theme that you can never not-see.

Edited by bright_ephemera
clarity

one thing i'd LOVE to ask him, about his earlier life.... after me being in denial about the whole killik thing.... i'd love to have him watch a fresh abductee, scared out of his/her mind, fighting the joining process with everything they have, obviously very very distressed... i's turn, and ask him " were you this frightened when you were joined? can you still sympathise with this person's distress? did you fight it as much as this person did? were you afraid? "

Is Joining an instantaneous thing or does it take time? Did Vector know that he was about to become a Joiner?

How much does Dr. Lokin's story intersect with Vector's? Takes me a while to get my other companions' affection up, so I'm still working on him. I did go on Wookiepedia though and found some info on Vector's joining there (probably from Dr. Lokin's conversations?) Leaves me with even more questions now!

So I understand that Vector was part of some science experiment, but that's all the info that seems to be out there! This still leaves lots of room for questions on how it all went down.

1) Was he told about it before hand? Was he given any choice? Was it like, "Hey, we're going to study up on Joining and we've picked YOU to be our guinea pig! Agree or die." Or was it more like, "Cool, what a great opportunity! I'll do it."

2) Or did it happen like this: "Soo....go hang out with these Killiks for a while and study them...no, no, you can't come back yet...oops! Looks like you became a Joiner. How fascinating. Come on in for some tests!"

I'm thinking Vector was either forced into it or tricked into it. Do we know anything at all about this?

So I understand that Vector was part of some science experiment, but that's all the info that seems to be out there! This still leaves lots of room for questions on how it all went down.

1) Was he told about it before hand? Was he given any choice? Was it like, "Hey, we're going to study up on Joining and we've picked YOU to be our guinea pig! Agree or die." Or was it more like, "Cool, what a great opportunity! I'll do it."

2) Or did it happen like this: "Soo....go hang out with these Killiks for a while and study them...no, no, you can't come back yet...oops! Looks like you became a Joiner. How fascinating. Come on in for some tests!"

I'm thinking Vector was either forced into it or tricked into it. Do we know anything at all about this?

It was #2 exactly. You find out upper management's reasons for encouraging his...close interaction with the Killiks...only shortly after Vector himself does.

It was #2 exactly. You find out upper management's reasons for encouraging his...close interaction with the Killiks...only shortly after Vector himself does.

So, wait a minute -

Vector doesn't even know he's been duped yet until you reach a certain point in Lokin's story? What does Vector believe "really" happened all this time?

So, wait a minute -

Vector doesn't even know he's been duped yet until you reach a certain point in Lokin's story? What does Vector believe "really" happened all this time?

Just that it was a thing that happened, pretty much, and no one's fault.

Very interesting... I wonder if the Diplomatic Service had any clue what was going on.

Did the secret science department people just pull rank and be like, "Hey we're taking your guy for our experiment"?

Or maybe the Diplomatic Service was left wondering what the heck happened to their diplomat that all of a sudden he was sending reports back calling himself "we." :rolleyes:

Very interesting... I wonder if the Diplomatic Service had any clue what was going on.

Did the secret science department people just pull rank and be like, "Hey we're taking your guy for our experiment"?

Or maybe the Diplomatic Service was left wondering what the heck happened to their diplomat that all of a sudden he was sending reports back calling himself "we." :rolleyes:

I am pretty sure no part of this was done on the up and up, so I expect they did not know until after, and even then not that it had been arranged to happen. I mean, it was probably not all that hard to find a way that seemed reasonable to get someone who had volunteered for first contact missions to go and spend some (too much!) time with an alien species. (Especially if there was some kind of hope held out of forming diplomatic ties with them and ending centuries (millennia?) of conflict between them and the human Alderaanians - what a feat it would be to achieve that!)

This whole thing is just fun and fascinating to me. :cool: I guess I just love this weird supernatural type stuff.

So I'm thinking now that the Killiks don't intentionally turn people into Joiners, or at least there isn't one big "moment" where they all decide to do it and it gets done. They are naturally so steeped in the pheromones of their own hive mind that anyone who is with them for a certain length of time eventually just gets assimilated. Vector says something like this when you go to the Killik party: "Don't worry, you won't be there long enough for the pheromones to affect you." For all we know, the Killiks probably think they're being downright generous by taking in prisoners and making them part of the hive.

I was confused about this because at one point:

Falner Oeth flat out tells Vector that he wants him to make that Republic official a Joiner. This implies that Vector can do it himself. I'm still not clear on whether he CAN do it himself OR Oeth is just clueless about how Joining works OR he's basically asking Vector to capture the guy and force him to hang out with the Killiks.

This whole thing is just fun and fascinating to me. :cool: I guess I just love this weird supernatural type stuff.

So I'm thinking now that the Killiks don't intentionally turn people into Joiners, or at least there isn't one big "moment" where they all decide to do it and it gets done. They are naturally so steeped in the pheromones of their own hive mind that anyone who is with them for a certain length of time eventually just gets assimilated. Vector says something like this when you go to the Killik party: "Don't worry, you won't be there long enough for the pheromones to affect you." For all we know, the Killiks probably think they're being downright generous by taking in prisoners and making them part of the hive.

I was confused about this because at one point:

Falner Oeth flat out tells Vector that he wants him to make that Republic official a Joiner. This implies that Vector can do it himself. I'm still not clear on whether he CAN do it himself OR Oeth is just clueless about how Joining works OR he's basically asking Vector to capture the guy and force him to hang out with the Killiks.

They may think of it that way.

If I recall correctly, when he was mulling that request over, part of the reason he was troubled by the idea was that the joining should be a "gift" and not something done against someone's will.

i still want to have him watch someone getting joined, have him witness thier fear and mental anguish ( well the guy on pub alderaan quests looked pretty unhappy)... and ask him if he remembers having to go thru that, ask him if he was afraid, if he was in pain, if he felt he was dying...

ask him why they swarm, why they forcefully take prisoners, why they kill and cement dead people in the walls of thier nest..why the nest is lined with bones... i'm tired of rose coloured glasses ; ;

...or i might just be tipsy on a friday night...

I'm a chick and I really enjoyed the Vector storyline and dialogue.

I thought it was well written and I liked his forays into the hive mind--I guess I just didn't see the bug in him. More of a guy with fantastic powers of telepathy and a silver tongue. :D

However, I do agree in that there should be at least 2 romance options per sex per class. Not everyone enjoys the same characters or story telling, and honestly, it can really ruin the story for those of us who like to build up our relationships with the companions (ahh Dragon's Age..would that there were another like you).

I played through both the Smuggler and Jedi Consular romance with female characters as well. Both classes only have one option for the female of that class (though some side-nookie is an option for either). Another would have been nice.

The Smuggler with Corso is alright, but (for me) it was just 'so-so'; it had it's moments, but overall I found the "dumb country boy" lacking.

The Jedi Consular was terrible! (Again, for me). I worked my way all the way to Hoth to get this totally bland-bland-bland guy, and the storyline of the relationship just doesn't seem to be given enough time to develop. I disliked it so much that I'm waiting until they add another option before I play that class again (Nadia doesn't appeal to me either :(.)

I'm a chick and I really enjoyed the Vector storyline and dialogue.

I thought it was well written and I liked his forays into the hive mind--I guess I just didn't see the bug in him. More of a guy with fantastic powers of telepathy and a silver tongue. :D

However, I do agree in that there should be at least 2 romance options per sex per class. Not everyone enjoys the same characters or story telling, and honestly, it can really ruin the story for those of us who like to build up our relationships with the companions (ahh Dragon's Age..would that there were another like you).

I played through both the Smuggler and Jedi Consular romance with female characters as well. Both classes only have one option for the female of that class (though some side-nookie is an option for either). Another would have been nice.

The Smuggler with Corso is alright, but (for me) it was just 'so-so'; it had it's moments, but overall I found the "dumb country boy" lacking.

The Jedi Consular was terrible! (Again, for me). I worked my way all the way to Hoth to get this totally bland-bland-bland guy, and the storyline of the relationship just doesn't seem to be given enough time to develop. I disliked it so much that I'm waiting until they add another option before I play that class again (Nadia doesn't appeal to me either :(.)

poor corso.... i named my femsmug after a greek mythological vixen that can never be caught.... she warned him...but hes still strung on hopelessly... but eh she warned him.

i do agree, i know of at least 3 make classes where you have a choice, and are made to chose.

i wanna see mancatfights

Is Joining an instantaneous thing or does it take time? Did Vector know that he was about to become a Joiner?

How much does Dr. Lokin's story intersect with Vector's? Takes me a while to get my other companions' affection up, so I'm still working on him. I did go on Wookiepedia though and found some info on Vector's joining there (probably from Dr. Lokin's conversations?) Leaves me with even more questions now!

if you don't mind spoilers:

start at about 4 minutes in

There definitely needs to be more romance options overall, for all character classes :<

It's especially rough for female IAs, but male inquisitors have the same problem. You can only romance Ashara, and

She doesn't even marry you at the end because she can't get the jedi council's permission >_< Also, if you're dark side it makes zero sense that she'd want to marry you, because she never strays too far from the whole jedi mindset.

And I am also saddened by the lack of flirting I get to do to male NPCs on my female characters :( On my inquis I managed to bang, like, 2 NPCs total not including Andronikos. What a total downer.

What I really want, though, is a Khem Val romance for the lulz. I mean, I love Andronikos (though I wish I had held off on the marriage bit until I got far enough to romance Talos too), but I <3 mah dashade. Every time I tell him to eat a force user I giggle like a crazy person. YES, KHEM, EAT ALL THE THINGS, MUAHAHAHA.

Edited by Beslley

There definitely needs to be more romance options overall, for all character classes :<

It's especially rough for female IAs, but male inquisitors have the same problem. You can only romance Ashara, and

She doesn't even marry you at the end because she can't get the jedi council's permission >_< Also, if you're dark side it makes zero sense that she'd want to marry you, because she never strays too far from the whole jedi mindset.

And I am also saddened by the lack of flirting I get to do to male NPCs on my female characters :( On my inquis I managed to bang, like, 2 NPCs total not including Andronikos. What a total downer.

What I really want, though, is a Khem Val romance for the lulz. I mean, I love Andronikos (though I wish I had held off on the marriage bit until I got far enough to romance Talos too), but I <3 mah dashade. Every time I tell him to eat a force user I giggle like a crazy person. YES, KHEM, EAT ALL THE THINGS, MUAHAHAHA.

i was just mentioning this about blizz.... have like, easter egg romances that you have to do obscure things to unlock, just for fun.

Sometimes I swear that the Inquisitor and Khem Val are in a relationship. Like when you offer to team up with Andronikos on Tatooine, Khem steps in and is like "But Master, what about me? Is it because of his smooth voice and tight butt? I'm obviously better, I eat Force Users (that aren't you)! Do you not love me anymore? Why are you breaking up with me!" and I was thinking "Since when am I dating Khem Val?" :confused: Good times.

After going through the jedi story with a female character, and as I mentioned earlier I'm a female gamer, too, I decided that my next toon would be something **completely** and **utterly* different. Completely the opposite and as far from a jedi or its darkside counterpart that I could get.

I ended up rolling a male IA and to my surprised I LOVE it! I'm barely off Balmorra and I've already did the deed with two women.

One of them I seduced to get information

. I didn't realize the IA class story was so much fun. I haven't even tried romancing Kaliyo because it would spoil the fun of all the other female conquests out there. It's just refreshing to go a different path.

So, from one female gamer to another (who always plays female toons) I reommend the male IA. Make him hot and play him as a amoral douche bag and you'll have loads of fun.

Of course that doesn't solve the problem that female characters of any class should have more romance options, but in the meantime, the male IA is a blast.

Edited by ejadavidson

So, from one female gamer to another (who always plays female toons) I reommend the male IA. Make him hot and play him as a amoral douche bag and you'll have loads of fun.

:D I've got a low level male AI now and this is pretty much what I did with him. The sarcastic voice that both male and female IA's do works very well if you are darkside. Can be a bit awkward if you are lightside sometimes though.

I've never really played a male character before, but once I got his look down just right, and then I heard the voice, I was like "oooh." Can't wait to seduce all the ladies. :cool::rolleyes: First play-through of a class I'll always be female, but I'm planning on making my "next generation" chars male.