Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Nerf Operatives

Icykill_

I love your GSF signature links. I've not played GSF since not long after it launched because of my own bias against them not including joystick support. But I'm so disallusioned with pvp now that I'm thinking of having another go at GSF.

I had a look through your links and they are impressive. Lots and lots of great information.

I think I've got a bit of reading to do before I just jump in and instantly hate it again. Hopefully those guides will help my experience to be more positive.

Yaaaassss! Moar GSF.

Seriously though, if you want more info about GSF (of any kind) or someone to fly with, gimme a shout. I fly on TRE, SL, and TEH, and have a dormant toon on harb too.

P.S - gunships have a low entry level (compared to scouts) but can be just as challenging at the higher gameplay levels. Don't believe people who say they're easy... Not to brag (maybe a little bragging) but

a recording of me flying a stock scout. I think this shows fairly clearly that gunships aren't the trump card in all situations.

Anyway, sorry for the derail...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yaaaassss! Moar GSF.

Seriously though, if you want more info about GSF (of any kind) or someone to fly with, gimme a shout. I fly on TRE, SL, and TEH, and have a dormant toon on harb too.

P.S - gunships have a low entry level (compared to scouts) but can be just as challenging at the higher gameplay levels. Don't believe people who say they're easy... Not to brag (maybe a little bragging) but

a recording of me flying a stock scout. I think this shows fairly clearly that gunships aren't the trump card in all situations.

People think op laugh is annoying. Wait till you listen to 10 minutes of people locking a missile onto you. Drives me insane haha.

People think op laugh is annoying. Wait till you listen to 10 minutes of people locking a missile onto you. Drives me insane haha.

True. In fact, missiles and ops have a lot in common - both are annoying but fairly harmless. Both can also kill you under the right circumstances.

Yaaaassss! Moar GSF.

OMG, I'm so retarded at GSF. It was like watching a rabbit run across a busy highway. I'm going to try again after I calibrate a GSF setting for my mouse.

I respect your opinion on these forums so we will just have to agree to disagree. I do not agree that 2 decent players cannot shut down an operative fairly quickly. But agree to disagree.

I honestly wish they would just rework it now. Give them strong off the global cooldown defenses and buff their damage. Reduce healing.

/sigh

I tried (I thought very hard) to be clear that I wasn't saying OPs are op or nerf ops, but that objective-based WZs are broken in the 3.x-present era, and OPs are the best example of why. I don't think they're "over powered" but their mobility (including the really short cd on roll) allows them to reach nodes before any class can get there and cap. and then they have the ability to delay delay delay. and since they aren't actually interested in fighting (on these maps) they can do that to a degree that others cannot b/c resetting fight, aoe mezz, mobility to reach los, etc. etc. they're far from the only ones who break the WZs. and in huttball...I mean...why on earth did we need to give MORE classes the ability to "leap" with the ball, thus circumventing the dwindling relevance of hazards?

but look at it like this, how easy is it to stalemate nodes in regs these days? that sorta thing used to only happen in ranked (for the same reason, ranked teams out-classed the map designs. you'd go 10-minutes before a cap if ever).

1 decent player of most classes can shut down 99% of DPS operatives. Like, seriously, I can count the number of operatives I'm actually even slightly afraid of on my non-stealth classes.. on one hand (on TEH anyway).

what does "being afraid" have to do with what I have said though? I'm not afraid of any op ever (not that they can't or don't kill me -- some do, many don't and circumstances). I refer to my post immediately preceding this one. it's how they work in conjunction with how WZs are structured that "doesn't work," and it's not just them. they are the most clear examples of the problem though.

Edited by foxmob

OMG, I'm so retarded at GSF. It was like watching a rabbit run across a busy highway. I'm going to try again after I calibrate a GSF setting for my mouse.

I was amazing at it when it came out. Then I had a fully upgraded gunship one shot my scout. I was like....meh. Stopped after a couple weeks. Did it again for lvd lol I sucked so bad (granted no upgrades).

Most people will crash their car into a tree to a avoid hitting a fluffy bun bun hahaah.

I was amazing at it when it came out. Then I had a fully upgraded gunship one shot my scout. I was like....meh. Stopped after a couple weeks. Did it again for lvd lol I sucked so bad (granted no upgrades).

Most people will crash their car into a tree to a avoid hitting a fluffy bun bun hahaah.

I made the mistake of playing GSF once in order to clear the seed quest from my logs and prevent it from appearing on the terminal. gawd, that was dumb. first of all, I was hitting enemies that never died. I never managed to get "close" to anything. and then when I turned in the quest, it opened up TWO MORE dailies/weeklies! (derp)

/sigh

I tried (I thought very hard) to be clear that I wasn't saying OPs are op or nerf ops, but that objective-based WZs are broken in the 3.x-present era, and OPs are the best example of why. I don't think they're "over powered" but their mobility (including the really short cd on roll) allows them to reach nodes before any class can get there and cap. and then they have the ability to delay delay delay. and since they aren't actually interested in fighting (on these maps) they can do that to a degree that others cannot b/c resetting fight, aoe mezz, mobility to reach los, etc. etc. they're far from the only ones who break the WZs. and in huttball...I mean...why on earth did we need to give MORE classes the ability to "leap" with the ball, thus circumventing the dwindling relevance of hazards?

but look at it like this, how easy is it to stalemate nodes in regs these days? that sorta thing used to only happen in ranked (for the same reason, ranked teams out-classed the map designs. you'd go 10-minutes before a cap if ever).

I agree in general about mobility. Huttball is pretty much a lost cause because of how mobile people are. I still like the idea I posted somewhere. Make movement abilities locked out while carrying the ball. Allow the ball to give temporary powers. Say run speed, or another dcd and things like that. Make carrying the ball a weakness in travel but a strength as well. Or just something like immunity to cc while holding it haha.

Though I can easily imagine people grabbing it just to death match hahaha. So yeah bad idea but the point is, something different. I remember one time grabbing the ball on my PT tank back in 3.0. Grabbed, leaped over acid, dropped oilslick behind me so everyone chasing me was slowed and popped H/O. I scored with 3-4 seconds still ticking on my h/o it had only been about 8 seconds since I picked up the ball. Like what?? To much mobility. Queshball isn't so bad because the entire map is so hopeless. xD

what does "being afraid" have to do with what I have said though? I'm not afraid of any op ever (not that they can't or don't kill me -- some do, many don't and circumstances). I refer to my post immediately preceding this one. it's how they work in conjunction with how WZs are structured that "doesn't work," and it's not just them. they are the most clear examples of the problem though.

I'm talking about in 1v1 situations on offnodes. If I'm guarding on a non stealth class and an op shows up (when most people QQ about the class), I can kill the op 9/10 times by myself. Like I said earlier, the only ops that I'll need help dealing with are those few that are actually a threat to me when I'm playing on my op.

Most QQ about ops isn't rational, because soooooo many operative players are just total trash.

Edited by QuiveringPotato

I think these guys just pushed the accelerator down harder. lol. And I got caught looking at the pretty head lights while they flattened me... I felt like an Uncle Toby's Road Kill... Real Fur, Flat Out.

I made the mistake of playing GSF once in order to clear the seed quest from my logs and prevent it from appearing on the terminal. gawd, that was dumb. first of all, I was hitting enemies that never died. I never managed to get "close" to anything. and then when I turned in the quest, it opened up TWO MORE dailies/weeklies! (derp)

Reminds me of that dumb Illum quest chain that you can never abondon. Now I make sure I never pick it up.

Well, now you can get one or two good ships, and clearing the weekly is only 4 wins! Or 7 losses.

I'm sure you'll hop right to it...

Well, now you can get one or two good ships, and clearing the weekly is only 4 wins! Or 7 losses.

I'm sure you'll hop right to it...

I lost interest when they added the bombers. The only mastered ship i have is T2 scout back from 2.x and all the other ships felt too dumb compared to it so i just quit. Tried it again for the dvl event and i must say that flying in stock ship is not fun

I lost interest when they added the bombers. The only mastered ship i have is T2 scout back from 2.x and all the other ships felt too dumb compared to it so i just quit. Tried it again for the dvl event and i must say that flying in stock ship is not fun

That depends. No argument that if you end up against a wall of 5-shippers you're gonna have a bad time, but then again even on a mastered whip you'll not be having a lot of fun in that situation.

GSF detour:

The T2 is the most popular choice on TRE (and all EU servers, I think). That being said, I don't think the highest level of gunshipping and bombing is dumb compared to it, just different. Much more about area awareness and less about quick reactions - similar to the difference between a sniper and a mara.

GSF detour end.

Can DPS Operatives do anything other than spam "knife" skills? That's all I ever see them do, vibroknifey mcshivstabby all day.

That's why people love them (I think). I personally prefer the scoundrel version (sucker punch has such an awesome sound, and dirty kick is amazing) but I know lots of people like ops because they knife you while cackling like Edward Scissorhands.

That depends. No argument that if you end up against a wall of 5-shippers you're gonna have a bad time, but then again even on a mastered whip you'll not be having a lot of fun in that situation.

GSF detour:

The T2 is the most popular choice on TRE (and all EU servers, I think). That being said, I don't think the highest level of gunshipping and bombing is dumb compared to it, just different. Much more about area awareness and less about quick reactions - similar to the difference between a sniper and a mara.

GSF detour end.

well, tbh before quitting i had some fun flying a rycer, but never could get into bombers and gunships

That's why people love them (I think). I personally prefer the scoundrel version (sucker punch has such an awesome sound, and dirty kick is amazing) but I know lots of people like ops because they knife you while cackling like Edward Scissorhands.

I hate it. I play a Guardian and they run circles around me while doing it. I'm constantly having to mouse spin to try and land a hit (yeah yeah, I know, I'm bad at 1v1's, especially against zigzaggers). The only thing I can really do is put my back to a wall so they have to stay in my LoS.

They have blaster rifles. I'd like to see them use them.

Edited by Loadsamonie

I hate it. I play a Guardian and they run circles around me while doing it. I'm constantly having to mouse spin to try and land a hit. The only thing I can really do is put my back to a wall so they have to stay in my LoS.

They have blaster rifles. I'd like to see them use them.

Don't worry, you will. And you'll hate it every time they use it :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.