Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

The game is being exploited by multi boxing programs and how to fix it.

UnderworldDave

You are not going to get rich with slicing as the credit cost and credit reward are about neutral, and the only upside is a crit that drops more then credits, or double credit boxes.

I love your posts because they can be very entertaining. I make a fortune with slicing lockbox missions. It's the best thing in the game since treasure hunting was nerfed. You just need to multibox more accounts to make up for the difference from what treasure hunting produced. Remember to vendor everything, that way you don't need to bother with the gtn at all.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love your posts because they can be very entertaining. I make a fortune with slicing lockbox missions. It's the best thing in the game since treasure hunting was nerfed. You just need to multibox more accounts to make up for the difference from what treasure hunting produced. Remember to vendor everything, that way you don't need to bother with the gtn at all.

uh huh......

Define "fortune". Then we can have a serious discussion.

Here... I do it for you..... A fortune these days is anything north of a billion credits. ;)

Map out how long it takes to make that fortune with slicing missions. Be sure to deduct the expenses of running said missions before you brag up the gains too. ;) Then we can have a serious discussion.

** note: I am talking about actually playing to slice with missions ... even with multiboxing (without automation or scripting or macros, all of which are illegal). And don't forget to provide analysis as to time-2-credits and effort-2-credits. Most players hawking your ideas... leave out all the costs, effort, and time required.. and like to treat it like a net 100% profit for every pull of the mission handle for slicing.. which is completely false.

Edited by Andryah

Any decent computer can make more than 100 million a day from multiboxing slicing lockbox missions and then vendoring everything. You just need a lot of ram which is cheap these days. The cpu and video card doesn't matter since you can limit the frames per second to single digits with the multiboxing program. It's really only limited by system ram. You can also run a lot of free accounts if you want and just it all go into escrow until it's needed. Edited by EviI_Ewok

Any decent computer can make more than 100 million a day from multiboxing slicing lockbox missions and then vendoring everything. You just need a lot of ram which is cheap these days. The cpu and video card doesn't matter since you can limit the frames per second to single digits with the multiboxing program. It's really only limited by system ram.

And you wonder why people have an issue with people multiboxing when you are promoting the use of it like this :mad:

And you wonder why people have an issue with people multiboxing when you are promoting the use of it like this :mad:

I hate bumping this thread, but you need to up your "how to spot a credit seller" skill. Take a look at what threads people create and post in, then take a look at what they talk about.

Are they only posting/creating threads about nerfing the ability to gain credits in-game?

Are they talking/bragging about how 'easy' they make million/billions a day/week from doing X skill/ability (which is the focus of the 'it must be nerfed!" topic at the time)?

Are they going on about multi-tasking multiple accounts while bragging how they can make millions/billions per day/week via this while doing x/y/z in-game (which is the focus of the 'it must be nerfed!" topic at the time)?

If the answer is yes to at least one of those, then chances are they = credit seller.

Why else do you thing you see some people only ever popping up and posting in threads all about nerfing the ability for people to make credits in the game. Why do you think these same people stop posting shortly after they succeed at getting that skill/mission/etc nerfed?

Go search the history of those who posted about the 1 crew skill which got nerfed... those crying for that nerf hadn't posted prior to those threads started, and they haven't posted since. Go look at the people posting in this thread about multi-botting & slicing and either outright asking for it to be nerfed, or heavily implying it should be nerfed... none of them posted prior to this thread/issue, they only post in here... and if Bioware nerf's the credit income from slicing you will never see them again.

And I know someone will say "but these are subbed accounts"... What's $45-100 a month for these credit sellers who are likely making a lot, lot more that that... especially if it suceeds in getting in-game credits nerfed. Reducing the amount of credits normal players get in the game is better for credit sellers, as it means there is higher chance people will buy gold from them. So spending a few hundred dollars over some months to try and get Bioware to reduce credit making ability of normal players = good business decision. Spend a few hundred at the high potential to increase revenue by possible thousands, or tens-of-thousands? Sign me up!

And another point - are these accounts even theirs? There's also a high possibility that these are hijacked/stolen accounts, or accounts given over to them for 'leveling' services. So why not use them to post on the forums and try to get in-game credit production reduced... not like it will financially hurt them at all if these accounts get nuked - and this could in fact be why you see new accounts popping up for the next credit nerfing thread/scheme... the previous accounts got banned/closed due to being stolen, hijacked and/or having been shared for 'leveling'.

Edited by Kamatsu

Multiboxing software is allowed, it's not my fault that you don't take advantage of it. I hope they keep slicing lockboxes as they are but i would like to see them reverse the changes to treasure hunting lockboxes. The thing i like most about the crewskill lockbox missions that generate profit is that those accounts don't need to be subscribed, it always generates profit so it is self sustaining and everything goes into escrow. Then when you need the credits you can sub the account and you have several hundred million on it.

Multiboxing software is allowed, it's not my fault that you don't take advantage of it. I hope they keep slicing lockboxes as they are but i would like to see them reverse the changes to treasure hunting lockboxes. The thing i like most about the crewskill lockbox missions that generate profit is that those accounts don't need to be subscribed, it always generates profit so it is self sustaining and everything goes into escrow. Then when you need the credits you can sub the account and you have several hundred million on it.

I'm pretty sure multiboxing software isn't allowed. The same as macros aren't allowed. No third party software is allowed in swtor.

I suggest you go look it up

I'm pretty sure multiboxing software isn't allowed. The same as macros aren't allowed. No third party software is allowed in swtor.

I suggest you go look it up

multiboxing is allowable. running 2 accounts, alt tabbing between them or running them on 2 machines is fine. macroing the commands to run both at the same time is a violation of the TOS. running 2 characters through a fp with the second one on follow, is just fine. using software to allow them both to duplicate keys strokes is where you get into trouble.

I can see no practical reason for multi-boxing, so if someone is doing it then odds are it's for shady business.

the people doing it have more imagination than you. But to be honest, some of the things people come up with in the game surprise me and I am sure surprises the devs. having 2 accounts loaded at the same time that you switch back and forth to in order to invite your self into your guild or to craft. To power level yourself(no longer done with level sync). all sorts of things you can do, and many of them dont violate the tos a single bit.

the people doing it have more imagination than you. But to be honest, some of the things people come up with in the game surprise me and I am sure surprises the devs. having 2 accounts loaded at the same time that you switch back and forth to in order to invite your self into your guild or to craft. To power level yourself(no longer done with level sync). all sorts of things you can do, and many of them dont violate the tos a single bit.

So you accuse me of having little imagination, but you can only come up with two "legit" reasons? One you hardly need if you have even one guildmate online, and the other by your own admission is no longer applicable?

That's not "all sorts of things". That's zero things. I'm willing to accept being wrong or not having enough info on this, but you seriously weren't the one to correct me on this with a weak post like that.

I suppose you can run heroics with yourself and farm social points...?

I don't know what all the whining about "multiboxing" is about, running mutliple instances of a client is as old as......MMORPG's are and older than Gold/China farmers, so what gives...

Well what's really useful about multiboxing in this game is crewskills, no other game has a system like this. Plus there is no randomness to the mission order in the crewskill list anymore and since the missions can be completed in only a few minutes now it makes it easy to run lots of clients. Then just use the multi boxing software to send the same mouse and keyboard movements to all the clients at the same time.

This works best with a profit making crewskill, then just vendor everything. That way the account doesn't even need to be subcribed, all the credits go into escrow and since it generates profit you can run missions constantly.

If slicing crewskill lockbox missions did not generate a profit the accounts would need to be subscribed since you would run out of credits.

Well what's really useful about multiboxing in this game is crewskills, no other game has a system like this. .

I hate replying to a credit seller and bumping this thread, but it's already on page 1.. so meh. Anyways...

This information is incorrect. SWTOR is not the only game which has a crew skill type system. There are other games that have systems similar, and can be used to generate plenty of in-game currency.

Star Trek Online - has both duty officer and admiralty system that can be used to generate items for the crafting system, dilithium (which can be used to convert to their cash shop currency) and in-game items or currency. Game is F2P, so multi-boxing multiple accounts can generate huge amounts of credits and dilithium for nothing but a bit of time, and is allowed.

WoW - prior to Legion, the Garrison feature in WOD could be used to generate lots, and lots of gold. In fact people were making millions from this... and if you were prepared to pay subs for multiple accounts, you could rake it huge, huge amounts of gold. Legion introduced it's own version, which does include gold generating missions... so once again, if you're prepared to pay the extra sub fee's... you can make gold via multi-boxing. Advantage with this is if you make enough gold, you can buy WoW token's to pay for the extra accounts... thus not actually costing you a thing. Fully allowed.

There are others that do similar as well, but these are 2 I can personally vouch for. So no, SWTOR isn';t the only MMO that has a system like it's crewskills. Other games have skills/abilities/crewskills/etc that allow you to send out crew/npc/ships/etc to generate in-game items/currency and can benefit from multiboxing, and allow the multiboxing as long as you don't automate doing so outside of whatever is allowed by the game itself.

One huge difference I can vouch for, out of the 3 games mentioned - WoW, SWTOR & STO - there is only one game that I see any calls to destroy the in-game currency generation ability of these skills/ability's, and it happens to also be the game most infested with in-game currency sellers. And yes folks, that game is this one - SWTOR.

Yep, while I do still see gold sellers in WoW, they get quickly blocked by addons and nuked by Blizzard. STO I can't remember any credit sellers at all. SWTOR however... you can't go 5-10 seconds on fleet, the starter planets or capital planets without seeing spam from credit sellers. And SWTOR is the only game I've seen people posting on the forums asking/demanding that in-game currency generating ability be nerfed to hell. Co-incidence? I think not.

I hate replying to a credit seller and bumping this thread, but it's already on page 1.. so meh. Anyways...

This information is incorrect. SWTOR is not the only game which has a crew skill type system. There are other games that have systems similar, and can be used to generate plenty of in-game currency.

Star Trek Online - has both duty officer and admiralty system that can be used to generate items for the crafting system, dilithium (which can be used to convert to their cash shop currency) and in-game items or currency. Game is F2P, so multi-boxing multiple accounts can generate huge amounts of credits and dilithium for nothing but a bit of time, and is allowed.

WoW - prior to Legion, the Garrison feature in WOD could be used to generate lots, and lots of gold. In fact people were making millions from this... and if you were prepared to pay subs for multiple accounts, you could rake it huge, huge amounts of gold. Legion introduced it's own version, which does include gold generating missions... so once again, if you're prepared to pay the extra sub fee's... you can make gold via multi-boxing. Advantage with this is if you make enough gold, you can buy WoW token's to pay for the extra accounts... thus not actually costing you a thing. Fully allowed.

There are others that do similar as well, but these are 2 I can personally vouch for. So no, SWTOR isn';t the only MMO that has a system like it's crewskills. Other games have skills/abilities/crewskills/etc that allow you to send out crew/npc/ships/etc to generate in-game items/currency and can benefit from multiboxing, and allow the multiboxing as long as you don't automate doing so outside of whatever is allowed by the game itself.

One huge difference I can vouch for, out of the 3 games mentioned - WoW, SWTOR & STO - there is only one game that I see any calls to destroy the in-game currency generation ability of these skills/ability's, and it happens to also be the game most infested with in-game currency sellers. And yes folks, that game is this one - SWTOR.

Yep, while I do still see gold sellers in WoW, they get quickly blocked by addons and nuked by Blizzard. STO I can't remember any credit sellers at all. SWTOR however... you can't go 5-10 seconds on fleet, the starter planets or capital planets without seeing spam from credit sellers. And SWTOR is the only game I've seen people posting on the forums asking/demanding that in-game currency generating ability be nerfed to hell. Co-incidence? I think not.

The irony is that limiting the credits gained from a single account only creates more demand for a quick out to earning them. Increasing credit gains is actually how you weed out gold spammers. Destroying demand for credits would coincidentally also serve to destroy the people who would monetize them as well.

Not surprising since it was almost impossible to play solo.

That is because it was a MMO. Back in the day of EQ, people actually played the game for what it was. Not want a single player, rpg, with other people playing single player.

Back in EQ's prime, you had to actually know your class, and the area you were in. You couldn't just whack 1 button and pass through content like you can in "MMO's" today. And I use that term very, very loosely.

That is because it was a MMO. Back in the day of EQ, people actually played the game for what it was. Not want a single player, rpg, with other people playing single player.

Back in EQ's prime, you had to actually know your class, and the area you were in. You couldn't just whack 1 button and pass through content like you can in "MMO's" today. And I use that term very, very loosely.

Yeah, I remember those Golden Age MMOs ... back when we had to walk uphill, both ways, through the snow, barefoot, just to reach the quest givers. ;)

EQOA and FFXI: Two MMOs in which it was nearly impossible to solo. Not just because "good" content required groups. Basic leveling required groups. Sure, I could have smitten rabbits in Dangruf Wadi until they stopped giving XP (like the South Park boy smacking boars in WoW). If you were lucky, you'd get a decent group, find a decent camp that wasn't too crowded, have a reliable puller, and just grind mobs for hours ... just to level up. If you were unlucky ... I once watched an entire NFL game on TV waiting for a group to pop (~3.5 hours).

EQOA and FFXI: I played them both. They were, in fact, my first MMOs. I cut my MMO teeth almost exclusively on group content. But by the time I moved onto WoW, players had changed. Or, I had changed. EQOA and FFXI groups were, for the most part, fun. Everyone got along, Everyone knew their role and their class. I have many more happy memories of group play in EQOA and FFXI than I do in all the other MMOs I've played since. PUGS drove me from group play (I still participate in some group play with friends and guildmates when requested, which is rare). I encountered all the negative clichés and said, "Enough."

EQOA and FFXI: I enjoyed them both. I do not miss either.

So you accuse me of having little imagination, but you can only come up with two "legit" reasons? One you hardly need if you have even one guildmate online, and the other by your own admission is no longer applicable?

That's not "all sorts of things". That's zero things. I'm willing to accept being wrong or not having enough info on this, but you seriously weren't the one to correct me on this with a weak post like that.

because you dont like doing something, it isnt legit? The world does not revolve around you. I named 2 reasons, but there are likely many more.

because you dont like doing something, it isnt legit? The world does not revolve around you. I named 2 reasons, but there are likely many more.

It's fine to admit you were wrong in minimizing their imagination without being able to get one foot out the door before collapsing all over your own argument. "Likely many more" doesn't quite fly either and your previous 2 were incapable of holding up.

I'm surprised that this thread is still going.

I'm disappointed that I'm going to comment on it again.

There's nothing in the TOS that says Multiboxing isn't allowed.

As stated by other people, some software that exists that copies/sends keystrokes to multiple clients IS frowned upon and not recommended.

But people, like me, who pay for two accounts and have two computers and play one client on each computer at the same time....nothing wrong with it at all

You can tell me how to play my game when you pay my sub fees.

Edited by Darevsool

Yeah, I remember those Golden Age MMOs ... back when we had to walk uphill, both ways, through the snow, barefoot, just to reach the quest givers. ;)

Are you being sarcastic? I think you are being sarcastic! Don't be sarcastic! :D

Yes these things where annoying sometimes but at least you could walk uphill not like here where you can't even walk over a small pile of rubble let alone jump over it.

It's fine to admit you were wrong in minimizing their imagination without being able to get one foot out the door before collapsing all over your own argument. "Likely many more" doesn't quite fly either and your previous 2 were incapable of holding up.

I never said they had no imagination. I said others had more. I play the guitar a little, others play it very well. Other people have posted why they multibox, stating other reasons than I haver used in the past. you dont like those, too bad for you. the devs have repeatedly stated that it is ok as long as you dont macro or use 3rd party software. It is their game, they make the rules, not you.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.