Petition: Bring the Old Republic era of Star Wars to Netflix

Exedong

Given that this petition has been around for over 6 months now and has yet to cross 200,000 I am not going to hold my breath on it. Pablo Hildago tweeted about it today. They way I read it was he hates online petitions and does not give them any relevance in decision making.

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/831922564465381376

Online filter bubbles are not the correct foundation for a good decision, agreed, but fear of being in one can cripple any good decision as well. A gamble is a gamble is a gamble. One of the biggest gambles in the movie industry? - Star Wars . . . just saying.;)

Edited by t-darko

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that this petition has been around for over 6 months now and has yet to cross 200,000 I am not going to hold my breath on it. Pablo Hildago tweeted about it today. They way I read it was he hates online petitions and does not give them any relevance in decision making.

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/831922564465381376

Who is this Pablito?

• 2 weeks later...

As a supporter of the petition to Bring the Old Republic era of Star Wars to Netflix, a contributor to the #TORonNetflix campaign, and one of the admins of the "official" Facebook page for The Old Republic on Netflix, I wanted to take a minute to try to communicate a bit of perspective regarding the petition, and explain some of what drives those of us that continue to actively support it.

First of all, as a point of clarification, the petition is expressly directed at Disney & Lucasfilm. Netflix is just the proposed delivery vehicle for the series due to a number of factors, not the least of which being the fact that Disney already has an active relationship with them to release Marvel stories such as Luke Cage and Jessica Jones. I don't think any of us would be terribly upset if Disney chose to release an Old Republic-based series on another streaming provider like Amazon or Hulu, a premium network like HBO or Starz, or even a "regular" network like ABC (which they own anyway). The fact that Netflix is such a well-known brand at this point, however, is another major factor in the decision to name them in the petition explicitly.

The petition recently surpassed the 175,000 signature mark and is still gaining momentum. While we are excited that a fan started petition has garnered so much support and has even caught the eye of Star Wars Story Group Guru Pablo Hidalgo, we are not delusional enough to believe that Disney is going to produce a series just because we stomp our feet and cry. On the same token, we do not believe that this petition is going to "force" Disney and Lucasfilm to do anything that they aren't already interested in doing. Disney is a multi-billion dollar corporation, and, if an Old Republic series is produced, it will be because the powers that be have chosen it as a worthy project. We are well aware that we still need a lot more support behind us before The Mouse even bats an eye in our direction.

What those of us who are involved in the #TORonNetflix movement DO believe is that this petition is a sort of rallying point for Star Wars fans who are interested in The Old Republic era. If nothing else, it has served to bring groups of Star Wars fans together from literally all around the world. Petitions in and of themselves can never be an accurate gauge of interest on a topic, just by their very nature. There are fans out there that don't know about the petition, there are those that aren't interested, and there are those who refuse to "waste their time". Honestly, the latter are the only ones that I don't understand. In my opinion, if the idea of an Old Republic series on Netflix interests you at all, what's a few minutes of your time to add your name to the petition?

Regardless, those of us who are actively supporting the petition on social media do so because we are truly excited about the possibility that it represents. Whether Disney eventually gives us an Old Republic series or not is almost beside the point. We have a community of like-minded fans with whom we enjoy discussing all of the ways that such a series could come to be. From production style (animated or live-action) to potential storylines and characters, and even what people could/should be involved. If the idea behind the petition interests you at all, please join us and take a moment to add your name in support.

SIGN & SHARE THE PETITION (Change.org):

Bring the Old Republic era of Star Wars to Netflix

Short Link for Sharing (Case-Sensitive) - bit.ly/TORonNetflix

GET THE LATEST UPDATES (Facebook):

The Old Republic on Netflix

JOIN THE DISCUSSION (Facebook):

TORonNetflix

FOLLOW OUR TWEETS (Twitter):

@TORonNetflix

EXPRESS YOUR OPINIONS (SurveyMonkey):

Star Wars: The Old Republic on Subscription Services

REVIEW THE SURVEY RESULTS (Diary of a Sith Chick):

TORonNetflix - Survey Results (With Editorial Commentary)

Edited by G_Hosa_Phat

• 2 weeks later...