Go Girls... am I the only one that gets this?

shannynandriver

Personally, I don't understand this trolling stuff. Why would anyone want to troll? What possible reason do they have for doing so? More importantly, I'm curious how these people manage real world socializing. In all my time, I have yet to find a satisfactory answer.

As for flirting with women on the vent, don't they find it odd and quite awkward that they're five guys hitting on one girl? Seems disturbing to me.

Do you honestly sit there and think about why nobody can answers questions like that? That is a little bit weird, and only because I can answer the second part of your question through simple human evolution.

In the animal kingdom, multiple males tend to fight for control over a single female. Despite the lack of socializing through a more normal medium, we put two things together that can succinctly add up to the very question you've asked: the desire to mate and spread our seed (primordial needs), and the fact that anonymity invites brevity based on the fact that we suffer little to no repercussions as a result of our rejection, and we can move on a little easier.

Hope I helped!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like all games I'm used to being refered to as a man in SWTOR

I have found myself starting to ignore it and just move on with the game.

But the second I jump on vent I am inundated with whispers about "how sexy I sound" or "What the %$&*, you're a chick?". That or the vent goes silent.

Am I the only one who gets this?

And fellas, find something original to say. I'd love to have a conversation with you all about the game. But I don't want to do the cyber nasty with you. I don't want to hear about how 'amazing' I am... You don't know me!!! ARGH

anyway my rant's over

We women can be amazing players too, don't disregard us or assume we're bad, most of us take it just as seriously as the rest of you.

~may the force be with you~

This is pretty much why I avoid using voice-chat whenever I can, and stay at least somewhat vague about my gender when dealing with others. It is true that as soon as you confirm your gender, even without voice chat, one tends to get alot more.."attention".

Now, my headset DOUS come equipped with a voice-morphing tool (It's a WoW headset, the voices are of Warcraft NPC's) but I still prefer to avoid it alltogether.

So yeah, guys can be very creepy once they find out your real gender. I suppose most are looking for a female companion, and realy, who can blame them? Isnt everyone around their teenage years sort of in "that" period?But can be a bother, so I understand the decision of many girls to go stealth.

I personally dont do that. Usually when someone is vague about their gender guys take that as meaning their a guy but unwilling to say it, so I get off the hook fairly easily :p Besides, I much prefer playing as a female.

Do you honestly sit there and think about why nobody can answers questions like that? That is a little bit weird, and only because I can answer the second part of your question through simple human evolution.

In the animal kingdom, multiple males tend to fight for control over a single female. Despite the lack of socializing through a more normal medium, we put two things together that can succinctly add up to the very question you've asked: the desire to mate and spread our seed (primordial needs), and the fact that anonymity invites brevity based on the fact that we suffer little to no repercussions as a result of our rejection, and we can move on a little easier.

Hope I helped!

Have you honestly never encountered an idiot and wondered why is he such an idiot?

Your explanation is inadequate. I find it unlikely that multiple males fought over a single woman as the ratio between genders is more or less even. I just think they want to feel (for once) like men, and by doing so they wander even farther from masculinity.

Have you honestly never encountered an idiot and wondered why is he such an idiot?

Your explanation is inadequate. I find it unlikely that multiple males fought over a single woman as the ratio between genders is more or less even. I just think they want to feel (for once) like men, and by doing so they wander even farther from masculinity.

No, I let people live their lives. If you're dumb, well that just sucks for you. One less person to compete for something I may eventually want!

Oh, and males have always fought over one female because they possess features that are seen as more desirable. You have 40 dudes that all look the same, and then 39 fat girls and one that is absolutely stunning, kinda what I was attempting to explain. Things like that can only end in tears (and a leap of joy for the winner).

His explanation actually makes sense. There tend to be more guys then girls out there, and even if there wernt, I notice guys only have eyes for the most attractive of females, wich means multiple guys fight over one or two women even when there's plenty of less-attractive females still standing by the sidelines.

Now here's where the anonymity of the internet comes in to mess things up:

Besides the obvious, I get the feeling most guys, when talking to someone they KNOW is a girl but havnt seen, tend to make up an image of that girl and imagine her as being super-attractive. The "best case" scenario, basicly. In other words, in their mind, she's one of those hot girls wich they need to grab if they can.

Men can be kind of primal in that (Girls can also, but I digress), and they tend to go after her like a real hunter, at least the dumb ones. And I can sort of understand the reasoning: Go in hard and fast, if she says no, just move on to the next. Most chance of sucess that way.

I dont think it's particularly bright, but we've already established these guys dont qualify for that moniker either way.

That said, from experience, to me it happens far more often that guys subtly attempt to initiate a romance over time. They give clear signs of being intrested but dont just go in hard and fast like the trolls do. Either way, a known female generates ALOT of attention, and yes, that is a bother. I dont consider myself a mean person, but I more or less HAVE to be *****y on a regular basis to avoid getting stalked to the point where it ruins my game. It's not much of a bother to me, but it's not right either.

But the second I jump on vent I am inundated with whispers about "how sexy I sound" or "What the %$&*, you're a chick?". That or the vent goes silent.

And fellas, find something original to say. I'd love to have a conversation with you all about the game. But I don't want to do the cyber nasty with you. I don't want to hear about how 'amazing' I am... You don't know me!!! ARGH

anyway my rant's over

We women can be amazing players too, don't disregard us or assume we're bad, most of us take it just as seriously as the rest of you.

changed to: SOME females take it as seriously as the rest. and the boys make up the majority of gaming which is the reason most becomes surprised when they see females. i really dont know anything about the nasty talk though.

Oh, and males have always fought over one female because they possess features that are seen as more desirable. You have 40 dudes that all look the same, and then 39 fat girls and one that is absolutely stunning, kinda what I was attempting to explain. Things like that can only end in tears (and a leap of joy for the winner).

Seems odd as the only thing they have go by is voice (which overweight women are usually more gifted with), and the gamer's avatar. Which is why I thought about it in the first place. Ah well, I'm not going to press this.

edit:

That said, from experience, to me it happens far more often that guys subtly attempt to initiate a romance over time. They give clear signs of being intrested but dont just go in hard and fast like the trolls do. Either way, a known female generates ALOT of attention, and yes, that is a bother. I dont consider myself a mean person, but I more or less HAVE to be *****y on a regular basis to avoid getting stalked to the point where it ruins my game. It's not much of a bother to me, but it's not right either.

Have you considered creating a female only guild? Worth a try.

Edited by RThanues

I don't really care who is on the other end of the character. As long as they can play well. Some of my favorite female characters have been role played by men.

Over-protective men are just as big a problem. I used to have a female friend in another game, we played together for months. Then her IRL husband got jealous, and I never saw her again.

It destroyed my character and ended a great friendship.

I miss that RP terribly, but I suppose I can't complain. RL comes first.

I just wish the whole IRL gender issue didn't come into anything. It just gets in the way, when there's absolutely no chance of anything 'romantic' happening due to internet distance and anonymity.

Edited by StealthNerf

Have you considered creating a female only guild? Worth a try.

*chuckles* No, no! I'm not that anti-male. Dont get me whrong, being a female gets you in trouble on the internet, but alot of guys are also nice, sane and normal. I wouldnt want to isolate myself from them like that.

Besides, as a roleplayer, I -want- to get involved in the community! Not to mention it'd just be whrong to let myself be pushed into a corner by, I'm sorry, ***** teenage boys.

No, I'm fine as I am. I'm not actually bothered much lately. Over the years one learns how to deal with these types of people. I'm just confirming what other girls are saying. It is a bit of a problem, especially for those girls who feel uncomfortable simply brushing someone off.

Thank you for the suggestion, though!

Can't tell this is a troll post or not.

You're upset about people making a scene based on your gender, so you made a thread to announce it to several thousand people at once? Hey, to each their own..

Giggle. :)

HEY I'M A GIRL!! DON'T MAKE A BIG FUSS ABOUT IT!!1

I've played mmos for 7-ish years now, and apart from our raid wiping whenever I spoke I haven't had any real issues. Some kids in games like Battlefield Heroes show no respect though.

So far in SWTOR I have only met adults and other nerdy women. I love this community.

I don't know where you find all those virgins that create mentioned "attention" when they see a girl, but usually, when I meet a girl I sigh and prepare myself to carry another noob.... /jk u wanna cyber?

Also, voice doesn't mean anything, cause there is always a chance she's unattractive and fat. The positive moment is that they laugh at your stupid jokes!

anyway my rant's over

I totally get it! Its the same whatever games/mmo's u play, BAM they find out your a girl IRL and *swarm*swarm*. Best to not mention gender at all, and stay focused on playing :)

You need to pipe down, giggle all the time, and accept all the free gifts the 'men' give you.

You might really ruin the racket of several girls in games. And they will be mad!!

And look on the bright side you will get into the raid for the free gear no matter how bad you are! And if you play your cards right with a little cyber cyber, you will be running any guild you want even if you arent the leader.

This has got to be based mostly on the population demographics that exist on this game. Coming from DDO, a game with built-in voice chat which was basically required use for most game play, I can say I've run with plenty of characters/players whom I knew were women. I never had any problems interacting with them, I never treated them differently, and I can't say I ever experienced anyone else doing so either, though I heard stories of some of the women in my guild who had, much as the OP describes.

Then again, most of the people I would quest with in DDO were adults and had plenty of experience dealing with the opposite sex in real-life I must assume. Your going to run into a lot more pre-teen/teenage boys on a game like SWTOR, which means a lot more 'omg, this person is a chick I must impress them!' or what have you. Best advice I've got is to go find a guild/group of like-minded people who don't fall into that category. Otherwise, if you must interact with the general population, your going to run into a lot of that.

So yah, such things suck, but its a fact of life basically in any teenage-male driven population. Just look at the horror-stories of women playing on xbox live or so forth. Sadly with a game this big, you can expect many of the same people. I think the number of people in this thread alone who thing there is humor in sarcastically being sexist is proof enough of that. At least..I hope they are just trying to be funny...

First off nerd girls rock! Secondly, I don't care if your a male or female player as long as I can get rez'ed when I stupidly tank when i am not (by accident) all while forgetting to lock my attack bar so instead of clicking attacks I am re arranging my actions. Btw when this does happen I am soooo good at guarding the ground and making sure it does not attack my fellow group mates.:D Edited by Kopernicous

To be honest here. If you are running into these situations then you are getting on the wrong VoIP servers or in other words running with the wrong crowd. There are plenty of us gamers out there who could care less if you are male or female and instead we simply just want you to play and we want a community.

If you find yourself in those type of communities that flock and start saying all that nasty stuff then you just simply up and leave and realize that it was simply a horrible community. There are plenty of gaming communities that will treat you just like anyone else. Just have to find those communities.

anyway my rant's over

So you decided to come to the forums with the announcement that you are a girl. You are an attention seeker, congratulations.

-sigh- I play with my GF, we played wow together we played rift for a short time together, now we are on this. Hopeing to stay. But yeah guys seem to freak out when there is a real girl in vent and thank god im not the jealous type cause we probably would have killed eachother.

I understand womens frustration at this because my GF is an excelent player and her being a woman shocks people into disbelief. But i do have one complaint of my own.

The unnatural power that surpasses the power of the force by millenia. the ultimate v-power.

And what i mean by this is simple. For one reason or another my GF gets whatever the hell she wants, weather its given to her or a presant, or a random *** deal in the auction house that has been put up for a quarted of the starnderd selling price.

It surpasses luck and is omnipotent in all MMO's. and i have one request women.

stop it

im jealous

anyway my rant's over

Don't worry about it. Just play with gay or bi guys. We're much more comfortable with ourselves so we don't go silent or start talking about how sexy you sound. Instead we'll flirt with you a month and a half down the line, knowing it's gonna lead nowhere but simply because it's fun.