Mara/Sent no combat heal...

Soljin

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip>

You type a lot so I skim through your posts, get an editor. I'm also talking entirely from a PvP perspective. You parse high, great, so does everyone with low ping and good APM.

Whether or not camo is described as a DCD is completely irrelevant, use it as an escape.

We have Saber Ward and Undying Rage, along with Cloak of Pain and Obfuscate. We also have Predation on a 30 sec CD.

Inviting any change at all to our class is inviting disaster. Leave it be.

Also if after camo there is no hope for survival I take down the 'weaker' one with me, because I might as well. I can usually buy my team enough time to get to the node 1v4.

EDIT:

I also didn't mean to come off as "holier than thou" or whatever, I can be abrasive when I don't mean to be. Tone is hard to convey in text for me, so my bad on that one. The post wasn't meant as anything like that, I'm a literal who and my home server is BC. I go to TEH for Ranked sometimes.

We may agree, but what I disagree is that Maras need change or more survivability. I think we're in a good place right now and don't trust BW with making any QOL changes.

So I guess what we ultimately disagree on is BWs competency and whether or not change is good.

Edited by Ruhun

I like the idea of Sentinel/Mara a lot...I like the idea of a pure DPS melee warrior. Now that said remove the taunts, guard and the Tank tree abilities from the equation and you should have the foundation of Mara/Sent/Jugg/Guardian....

I get the Sniper/Mara statement that they are "Pure DPS" which is funny in its own since they are by no means far above others in DPS....especially considering some classes will out damage you because they can stay alive to get the damage out via heals or CC....of which Mara/Sent has little CC and no healing.

Just an observation.

Force Camo...Sure spend 2 points to make it a "wanna be" stealth and call it an escape mechanic....Its a DCD, its not a DCD...its an escape ability....Its not great at either but passable as an escape mechanic if you invest points and the circumstances are right....on that I will sort of agree.

Back on topic, Like I said I think a combat heal would be nice to increase the Mara/Sent ability to stay in the fight without a healer. I mentioned the Assassin/Shadow heal because you have to be attacking to really benefit which is in line with Mara/Sent's purpose and its not as substantial a heal as the Jugg "Tank".

Something I noticed about Sentinel, Scenario: You are in the back lines taking out folks already in combat with your ranged allies...things are going well. Boom Assassin pops up and takes a big chunk of you with him before he dies....your running around trying to break combat with very low health, Force Camo....run around clucking..combat wont break boom dead...

Seems wrong to me to go into a fight accepting you will die eventually due to lack of recovery unless a healer blesses you with some love.

On every other class I play (Don't play Sniper) I go into every fight with the thought I will come out alive ready for more, doesn't always work out that way but I have that confidence.....except when I play Sent/Mara. When I play Sentinel My thought process is that I am going into a fight to kill as many enemies as I can before I die...and that to me is a problem.

That's my issue and the reason for the combat heal thought....

Just no, Marauders have incredibly powerful defenses, great AoE CC in intimidating roar, obfuscate which is incredibly useful for temporarily negating pretty much all damage from melee/ranged focused classes. Also force camouflage, which is a great anti focus tool, and can get you quite far out of a dangerous situation, especially if used with predation and/or the utility in masterful tier. Marauders are fine, just know when to engage, and when to get the hell out and get to your team.

If you're going in with the mentality to take as many enemies down with you and die in the process, then that's exactly what's going to happen.

Edited by AdjeYo

As a person who only plays sentinel and marauder in pvp, here's my two cents.

In the early days of being a marauder, a year back, I too had a lot of struggle about survivability, some of which has been mentioned in this thread. When I talked about it with a friend, he said that he knew marauders who didn't have that problem and that I should learn to play it better. And so I did.

Mara/Sents are extremely powerful in close range and sometimes medium range, when you need to. Example, a sniper drops the debuff cloud on himself, you can still pump your burst by staying away. Dispatch, precision, clashing blast, TST. This can also be used while kiting a melee class, like a marauder and guardian. Also, true if you want to avoid one AOE or sorc/sage bubble stun or general knock backs. Who says kiting is only for ranged? :p

Trust me, it is very tempting to jump into a crowd with a marauder and I do so too often, but it can become suicidal without either saberward or camouflage available or a full time healer behind you. I do get reckless when I get healers in my team :)

In this thread camouflage has been getting a lot of hate but let me give some of it's uses with example.

1. To sneak from one LOS to another, buffed by super predation.

2. To cloak out after interrupting a cap by a stealther in melee range to avoid flashbang or insta whirwind..

3. To position yourself between a wall and a knock back king like snipers.

4. Obviously, get out of being focused. We are not face tanks and therefore can't play as one.

5. Waiting for precision to come off cool-down while being low on health and against one or multiple opponents.

6. To mitigate said knock backs when you are expecting one. Example, Sorcs standing at mid entrance in hyper-gate during explosion or bridge in void star.

7. Vanish to grab a med unit in proving grounds and jump back in before losing the node.

8. Resetting the ball in huttball in case of imminent death and no time to throw.

9. To vanish out before a cast finishes to avoid damage - ambush, force leech, turbulence, etc.

There are many other uses it can be put to, but I don't want this to be a novel and also, I can't remember them all. They come back to me in the form of muscle memory. Camo is one of the many reasons that I love playing a marauder. All usage depends upon the priority of using it in the situation you are currently in.

You cannot just think of it as a DCD or an escape tool. It has much wider usage to it than that.

As for Saberward, it can let you soak up the opening burst of a PT and come out smiling.

Rebuke is a very good defensive on a very short CD that you should use right from the start of the fight to get the most out of it. Believe me, something or other is hitting you already.

Pacify can nullify a scary Ambush or a railshot. I wish it worked on force powers as well, but you can't have everything I guess.

Then comes my favourite utility - super predation (I jokingly call it speed hack, some serious people don't get that joke). It is my most favourite utility in the entire game because it not only buffs you to super speed and cleanses roots, but also does the same for everyone else. Plus the 10% defense is an icing on the cake. Many a times people have whispered me to say thanks for using predation at the exact right time. Not a lot of people thank dps for doing their job.

The only class that can be a hard counter for marauders is a sniper in the hands of a good player. The rest is managable.

To play a marauder/sentinel you have to stop thinking like other classes. You are not a jugg or a sorc or a PT or a sniper. So you can't try to imitate their play style. Marauders have their unique play style much like snipers. You can recognize the good ones from the bad ones just by watching them play.

Only change I would very much recommend for this class is to roll up the crippling slash utilities into one. Make one utility for range and root and I can take another mobility/purge utility to better counter kiters.

The only department marauders are kinda behind other classes is duelling but Zherio has proved it that even in duelling Marauders can shine.

All in all, Marauders are in a very good place and may do with certain tinkerings but not much. We mostly have what we need to stay alive and fight.

Apologies for the long post, but I this is a class that I love for its play style and felt the need to defend it as best I could. Enjoy your time in the game. :)

-----------------------------

aka Faith (Mara/Sent)

Edited by Shubhabrata

aka Faith (Mara/Sent)

Nice post.

I just do not agree. As it happens it does not matter in the slightest if I do in fact agree or disagree, so that works out great.

If you're going in with the mentality to take as many enemies down with you and die in the process, then that's exactly what's going to happen.

I was emphasizing that generally I don't have that attitude but it has become a learned behavior due to Sent/Mara shortcomings.......

That said I'm glad you feel Mara/Sent is performing well and is enjoyable for you to play.

There is so much bad info in this post about mara/sentinel that make me post something about it.

Everything thing that guy said about our defensives and force camo its completely wrong for PVP and PVE !

People that dont understand how such good defensive force camo is for pve and pvp (such a great abilite) shouldnt be talking about sent/mara.

But offcourse people can say whatever they want, but that doesnt make it true.

Faith explain how good force camo can be for PVP, so Faith can you explain people how good can be for PVE too ??? :p

About 1v1 i think the only problem is against operatives(but thats everyone problem), against very bursty ranged class (remember that we also have blade blitz/mad dash) or (here we go again).... force camo! that can interrupt some hard hitting attacks :p

Edited by FiLaBugh

Maras have some of the best DCDs in the game, especially for pvp.

I prefer the escapes and DCDs we have now over any self heals.

If you are dying this many times in Regs then you need to reevaluate your playstyle and adapt because no amount of self heals can save a Mara from 3v1 focus like our DCDs can.

This is correct. Marauders have some of the best defenses in the game. People just don't know how to play them properly. Marauders do not need self heals. That would put them over the top. They are very good in pvp right now.

I keep seeing threads about how marauders need better defenses or need self heals. It makes me wonder if these people keep jumping into a group of 8 AP PTs with a fully buffed autocrit energy burst ready to go.

To those who believe maras need help: just because some classes have something does not mean all classes should. Reevaluate the way you play marauder and you will have more success. If you have specific problems or questions then ask about those things specifically and you will be given advice on how to proceed.

Marauders are great as is.

Faith explain how good force camo can be for PVP, so Faith can you explain people how good can be for PVE too ??? :p

Force Camouflage is invaluable in PvE as well. It not only reduces any incoming damage by 50 %, but also makes you immune to any kind of controlling effect.

Let's see some of its usages -

1. Any kind of knockback situation you find yourself in (maybe you were unlucky or maybe you were lazy :p or maybe as a part of mechanic. Camo out, and no knockbacks or knockdowns. Examples are Dread Palace Raptus, TOS Underlurker, EV first droid, TOS huge grenade explosion at the two walkers, HK grenade on Revan, etc. This allows you to circumvent a mechanic and get more uptime on bosses (kinda important for melee, don't you think?)

2. Suddenly finding yourself in the way of a massive damage telegraph with no way out. Example, Tyrans' thundering blast. Yes tanks should always make him face away but life is not always scripted :D. Another example is if Underlurker cross fails or you are standing behind it.

3. Threat reset (technically a threat drop but it resets threat to zero, not just lowers it. It is very useful to use it after the second precision as combat and after the first master strike + TST (buffed) as watchman.

4. My most fun usage - Aggro a mob into your group and then vanish out :D

5. Prior to 4.0 I used it sometimes as mobility for the extra movement speed but now we have blade blitz. Still it is a handy tool to have if and when needed.

6. Can be used to purge effects when specced into utility- useful for Nefra, Dread Council.

Nothing else comes to mind but I am sure that there are more ways people can use it in PvE to gain advantage. Would love to hear them if anyone knows.

Cheers!

----------------------------

aka Faith (Mara/Sent)

Nothing else comes to mind but I am sure that there are more ways people can use it in PvE to gain advantage. Would love to hear them if anyone knows.

Cheers!

aka Faith (Mara/Sent)

Haven't tried it actually, but should be possible to get the energy sphere on Brontes. Normally i use UR for that but sometimes i get a second sphere and it's is on cd. I try to get it with Mad Dash but i find it very hard to time right, so maybe Camo would be good to use in that case

Cheers!

aka Faith (Mara/Sent)

This may be stretching as it's a combo of damage reduction and a knockdown, but it's a great ability for dealing with multibombs in MB HM.

Edited by AndoEyrune

So far the common response seems to be that "Mara/Sent is in a good place" and "Mara/Sent DCD's are some of the best in the game" and "If you think Mara/Sent is not in a good place L2P".

All sweeping generalizations but the common answers none the less. Discussing Mara/Sent DCD's and saying they are some of the best in the game can only really be proven with direct comparison to other similar Archetypes. Although explaining when and how to use the Mara/Sent DCD's goes along with the theory that everyone not completely happy with Mara/Sent needs to L2P.... it proves nothing about the DCD's of the class.

For instance what is the Mara/Sent's key feature? DPS? is it the best in DPS along with Sniper (The other pure DPS)?

Force Camo, should it be compared to stealth, Vanish? If so Assassin/Shadow win that comparison...maybe it can not be compared.

Pacify, reduce accuracy by 90% for 6 secs...decent but any stun performs the same function and controls the target...Pacify loses.

Guarded by the force vs say Resilience?

Anyways if anyone wants to present a case for why Mara/Sent is in a good place I would suggest doing some comparison to give reference to others....Saying a skill is great and giving some examples is nice but when the other guy is sporting an even better ability to counter yours it means very little....

Your point is entirely superfluous in the fact that ALL I am saying, and in essence you're agreeing with me which makes it all the more ridiculous, is that Force Camouflage is a terrible DCD.

Maybe stop classifying things - maybe that's where we're getting off track. Force Camo is amazing, no matter what you call it.

Most of your examples seem to involve getting nuked by 2+ players, which - let's be honest - isn't a position from which we want to design anyone's dcds. So some of the L2P edge that you may be feeling is those of us who've learned the hard way that the best mara dcd is avoiding the middle of the scrum. You simply can't make your point by debating the effectiveness of dcd's when focused by multiple players. No class with as much dmg potential as a mara/sent should survive long when focused by multiple players. The end.

But wait! We actually can. Force camo is amazing - when i've been skirting around the edges for too long finishing off players and start to get focused properly, pop! I vanish. 6 seconds may not seem like a long time to you, but honestly...it's an eternity if it means that 2-4 enemy players are standing around mouthbreathing while they wait for you to reappear - your team should reap them like wheat in the meantime. If the enemy players start focusing on other targets, you've used the 6sec to reset your position and resume killing some poor enemy off to the side or peel for your healer or w/e you should be doing that doesn't involve the words "Leeroy" and "Jones". And that's not even counting what UR/GbtF can give you before you vanish if it's up.

Please stop over to the Merc or PvP forums to find out what it's really like to have questionable DCD's and a complete lack of "ohcrapi'mbeingfocused" ability.

Maybe stop classifying things - maybe that's where we're getting off track. Force Camo is amazing, no matter what you call it.

Most of your examples seem to involve getting nuked by 2+ players, which - let's be honest - isn't a position from which we want to design anyone's dcds. So some of the L2P edge that you may be feeling is those of us who've learned the hard way that the best mara dcd is avoiding the middle of the scrum. You simply can't make your point by debating the effectiveness of dcd's when focused by multiple players. No class with as much dmg potential as a mara/sent should survive long when focused by multiple players. The end.

But wait! We actually can. Force camo is amazing - when i've been skirting around the edges for too long finishing off players and start to get focused properly, pop! I vanish. 6 seconds may not seem like a long time to you, but honestly...it's an eternity if it means that 2-4 enemy players are standing around mouthbreathing while they wait for you to reappear - your team should reap them like wheat in the meantime. If the enemy players start focusing on other targets, you've used the 6sec to reset your position and resume killing some poor enemy off to the side or peel for your healer or w/e you should be doing that doesn't involve the words "Leeroy" and "Jones". And that's not even counting what UR/GbtF can give you before you vanish if it's up.

Please stop over to the Merc or PvP forums to find out what it's really like to have questionable DCD's and a complete lack of "ohcrapi'mbeingfocused" ability.

Force Camo is great in comparison to what? Is it equal to or lesser than other abilities in the game that serve a similar purpose....

I understand its nice to run around invisible for 6 secs...Other AC's have permanent stealth, so why is Force Camo so great?

Assassin/Shadow can lay down comparable damage to a Mara/Sent and have vanish and perma stealth......Force Camo doesn't seem great when placed next to that.

So far the common response seems to be that "Mara/Sent is in a good place" and "Mara/Sent DCD's are some of the best in the game" and "If you think Mara/Sent is not in a good place L2P".

All sweeping generalizations but the common answers none the less. Discussing Mara/Sent DCD's and saying they are some of the best in the game can only really be proven with direct comparison to other similar Archetypes. Although explaining when and how to use the Mara/Sent DCD's goes along with the theory that everyone not completely happy with Mara/Sent needs to L2P.... it proves nothing about the DCD's of the class.

For instance what is the Mara/Sent's key feature? DPS? is it the best in DPS along with Sniper (The other pure DPS)?

Force Camo, should it be compared to stealth, Vanish? If so Assassin/Shadow win that comparison...maybe it can not be compared.

Pacify, reduce accuracy by 90% for 6 secs...decent but any stun performs the same function and controls the target...Pacify loses.

Guarded by the force vs say Resilience?

Anyways if anyone wants to present a case for why Mara/Sent is in a good place I would suggest doing some comparison to give reference to others....Saying a skill is great and giving some examples is nice but when the other guy is sporting an even better ability to counter yours it means very little....

Cloak of Pain is awesome, it's 20% DR, with a duration up to 30 seconds and a cooldown of 60 seconds. That's 20% DR with 50% uptime, which is amazing, and gets you a little extra damage and even rage if you spec for that.

Camo is great for getting away, especially because it increases your movementspeed, rather than reducing it like regular stealth. Is it inferior to stealth? Yes, but nonetheless it's great in it's own right and has half the cooldown of combat stealth, and that is if combat stealth has the reduced cooldown from the utility.

Obfuscate might not be as powerful as a stun, but let's not forget we also have a hardstun and an AoE mez. Besides it works against targets with full resolve, allowing you to render certain classes nearly useless for a while, even if they have full resolve.

And then there's Saber Ward, which not only gives a 50% melee/ranged defense, like Deflection does for Assassins, it also absorbs 25% force/tech damage.

Lastly there's Undying Rage, which basically makes you invulnerable for 4 secs, or 6 secs with the utility. Like a shorter bubble that allows you to continue dpsing, or try to get the **** away. Sure Shroud and Saber reflect have a lot shorter cooldowns and work better against certain attacks, but Undying Rage has much better coverage.

Edited by AdjeYo

Force Camo is great in comparison to what? Is it equal to or lesser than other abilities in the game that serve a similar purpose....

I understand its nice to run around invisible for 6 secs...Other AC's have permanent stealth, so why is Force Camo so great?

Assassin/Shadow can lay down comparable damage to a Mara/Sent and have vanish and perma stealth......Force Camo doesn't seem great when placed next to that.

assassin/shadow CANNOT lay down comparable damage to a mara/sent and neither can an op. not even close. that seems to be the part that is confusing you the most. you see other classes with "better" defensives and think that you should have them too, but you either ignore or don't know that mara is stronger damage than both of those and almost all other classes as well. multiple people have told you that the key to being successful on a mara is learning how it plays, but you refuse to hear it, instead insisting that clicking the correct button should equal win. whether you realize it or not, that is what you are asking for.

Cloak of Pain is awesome, it's 20% DR, with a duration up to 30 seconds and a cooldown of 60 seconds. That's 20% DR with 50% uptime, which is amazing, and gets you a little extra damage and even rage if you spec for that.

Camo is great for getting away, especially because it increases your movementspeed, rather than reducing it like regular stealth. Is it inferior to stealth? Yes, but nonetheless it's great in it's own right and has half the cooldown of combat stealth, and that is if combat stealth has the reduced cooldown from the utility.

Obfuscate might not be as powerful as a stun, but let's not forget we also have a hardstun and an AoE mez. Besides it works against targets with full resolve, allowing you to render certain classes nearly useless for a while, even if they have full resolve.

And then there's Saber Ward, which not only gives a 50% melee/ranged defense, like Deflection does for Assassins, it also absorbs 25% force/tech damage.

Lastly there's Undying Rage, which basically makes you invulnerable for 4 secs, or 6 secs with the utility. Like a shorter bubble that allows you to continue dpsing, or try to get the **** away. Sure Shroud and Saber reflect have a lot shorter cooldowns and work better against certain attacks, but Undying Rage has much better coverage.

Great comparison and I agree with them.

Edited by Soljin

assassin/shadow CANNOT lay down comparable damage to a mara/sent and neither can an op. not even close. that seems to be the part that is confusing you the most. you see other classes with "better" defensives and think that you should have them too, but you either ignore or don't know that mara is stronger damage than both of those and almost all other classes as well. multiple people have told you that the key to being successful on a mara is learning how it plays, but you refuse to hear it, instead insisting that clicking the correct button should equal win. whether you realize it or not, that is what you are asking for.

You seem to be taking this a bit hard...That said I started this thread to see what other Mara/Sent players thought of the idea of an in combat heal for the AC. You seem to be of the opinion that even raising the discussion was wrong and that I refuse to hear other peoples feedback, that I need to L2P just for discussing the concept.

If you always fold to the majority then so be it...just because several people say its so...means only that several people may or may not be correct.

I play several AC's regularly and as a result don't expect to be with the Elite on any one of them....That said I ran a Sentinel and Merc in Beta and have seen both fluctuate in power over time since then.

I will be curious to see where they take Mara/Sent in the next Expansion if class changes are included.

All said and done there seems to be some people that are fixed on right or wrong rather than debate....it is all about perspective..

Edited by Soljin

Close to 75% uptime actually with Cloak of Annihilation

The best you can get with Cloak of Annihilation is a 62.5% uptime, and that is only if you fit 4 Battering Assaults in 48 seconds. The reason I didn't mention it, is that it's not a nonebrainer utility point spend, like unbound. And there's some good competition for that final point in heroic tier.

The best you can get with Cloak of Annihilation is a 62.5% uptime, and that is only if you fit 4 Battering Assaults in 48 seconds. The reason I didn't mention it, is that it's not a nonebrainer utility point spend, like unbound. And there's some good competition for that final point in heroic tier.

Don't forget assault and cripling slash

You seem to be taking this a bit hard...That said I started this thread to see what other Mara/Sent players thought of the idea of an in combat heal for the AC. You seem to be of the opinion that even raising the discussion was wrong and that I refuse to hear other peoples feedback, that I need to L2P just for discussing the concept.

If you always fold to the majority then so be it...just because several people say its so...means only that several people may or may not be correct.

I play several AC's regularly and as a result don't expect to be with the Elite on any one of them....That said I ran a Sentinel and Merc in Beta and have seen both fluctuate in power over time since then.

I will be curious to see where they take Mara/Sent in the next Expansion if class changes are included.

All said and done there seems to be some people that are fixed on right or wrong rather than debate....it is all about perspective..

i'm not taking it hard, i just get tired of repeating it. mara is a difficult class to master and at least once a week we get a new post from someone wanting to make it the new faceroll fotm instead of putting in the work. raising the question is not wrong, but refusing to hear the answer because it isn't what you like is exasperating.

it's not a question of "folding to the majority", i have 5 classes that i run in pvp, and with the exception of op, mara has the best survivability, and with the exception of sniper, the best damage. i'm not repeating other people mindlessly, i'm telling you that the kind of changes you are suggesting are going to make me op on my mara. in the current meta maras don't need any help, they are in a very good place. honestly, you sound like someone who would be much happier on a jugg.

Edited by sumquy

I started this thread to see what other Mara/Sent players thought of the idea of an in combat heal for the AC.

This is a valid question and let me see if I can tackle it. If asked personally, would I love to have some self heal? Absolutely, yes. After all, most of the dps sorcerers and sages running around can't be bothered to throw in a 2 GCD worth of heals on a retreating marauder :p You know what I mean, you have been there!

However, would that be a fair class balance change? The answer is no. The classes who have spammable self heals are Sorcerers, Mercenaries and Operatives.

Sorcerers need it because they are squishiest target in the game and Mercs need it because they do not have any good escape mechanism except for Electronet and whatever the jumping back talent is called. Hydraulics can't match with my predation. However, Mercs have heavy armor, compared to Sorcs so it stands to reason that Sorcs should generally have higher healing potential (after all they are Sorcereres).

Operatives need it because their play style demands kiting, rolling, LOS-ing and healing in the middle of burst. They don't get exceptional defensives other than their roll and evasion. Again, because the skill cap required to play an operative is very high, not unlike a marauder, I don't see a problem with that. Good operatives are hard to come by and yes, they can wreck a marauder. But average ones can be handled pretty well. It is a trade off with risk vs reward and skill vs reward. And I am fine with it.

As for Guardians/Juggernaut, their heal to full is simply over powerful for a melee class with some really good defensive cooldowns. I do not to want to spark another debate on this unrelated matter, but it is my personal opinion on this matter. I feel that it needs to be curbed for a bit at least. Fighting a Juggernaut is equal to fighting double health bar opponent.

Powertech self heals from shoulder cannon is not great and I don't know if anyone takes that talent, either.

Now coming back to Marauder. I think we have established already that Marauders already have excellent defensive cooldowns to help them survive. The burst damage of a carnage marauder is extremely good because the burst happens in a 3s window, very small time for a lot of players to react to it. If we add any significant self heal on top of that, it virtually becomes unstoppable.

While I thoroughly enjoy the idea of becoming unstoppable in a warzone, it would not be fare to other classes, nor would it be fun for me to play after a while. And suddenly everyone will start rolling Marauders and there will be a cry for nerf hammer and so on and so forth...the vicious cycle will continue spinning.

Some very good points were discussed in this thread by a lot of people and can serve as a compendium for ways of playing a Marauder.

Cheers!

aka Faith (Mara/Sent)