Login service Unavailable

Death-Hammer

To the contrary, I've seen things saying you can only remove a security key once. So if I remove my phys key and add a mobile key, I won't be able to remove the mobile key to re-add my phys key. Oh who am I kidding, they're never gonna fix it anyway, might as well go back to FFXIV.

Well what you have seen is incorrect. You can remove your security key easily if you have access to the account.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a last resort, maybe. I'm currently on hold for tech support - going to at least try to get an ETA out of them.

OK, just got off the phone with tech support. They know less than we do about the issue, and they have no ETA, BUT I kept them on the phone as I walked through removing the key, downloading the iPhone app, and resetting it. Good thing too as it didn't take the first time, so it may not be just the old 8-digit keys that are the issue. But - for now, it's getting me through and into the game. *fingers crossed Comcast doesn't kill my connection tonight making me go through all of this AGAIN*

Well what you have seen is incorrect. You can remove your security key easily if you have access to the account.

They are not disputing the fact that you can remove it. What they are talking about it is when you remove the key, you CAN'T add another to the account.

FYI, and sorry if someone else noted this and I missed it:

I was unable to get to the "remove security key" page at all in Chrome. AB+ wasn't the issue, just wouldn't give me the option. Launched the silly Edge browser and was able to drop my security key and log in.

Thanks for the offered workarounds everyone. I too have a CE physical security key that wasn't working so I opted to replace it with the updated mobile version. My questions of concern are as follows.

1. Does anyone know if we will be able to reconnect our physical keys once EA / Bioware gets it sorted out?

2. Since I removed and reconnected the security key, will my security key coin grant be messed up now?

They are not disputing the fact that you can remove it. What they are talking about it is when you remove the key, you CAN'T add another to the account.

Sigh, did you even read the quoted section before you hit reply?

To the contrary, I've seen things saying you can only remove a security key once. So if I remove my phys key and add a mobile key, I won't be able to remove the mobile key to re-add my phys key.

That was who I was replying to, read for yourself, he specifically was concerned you can only remove a security once for some reason.

But in any case, what you said is also incorrect. Of course you can re-add a security key. You re-add a physical one, or you can re-add the new mobile one. The only thing you can't do is re-add the old style mobile security key once removed.

Edited by ZavienUK

Thanks for the offered workarounds everyone. I too have a CE physical security key that wasn't working so I opted to replace it with the updated mobile version. My questions of concern are as follows.

1. Does anyone know if we will be able to reconnect our physical keys once EA / Bioware gets it sorted out?

As i've mentioned a few times already, as Bioware have given no indication they intend to stop supporting the physical security key there is no reason to think we shouldn't be able to reattach the physical key once this all blows over. Obviously there is always the outside chance they could suddenly come out and announce they are no longer supporting the physical key, but then you'd have to swtich anyway.

2. Since I removed and reconnected the security key, will my security key coin grant be messed up now?

I don't think so, I've replaced keys before and it's never created a problem with the security key grant.

Edited by ZavienUK

Most difficult part for me was being able to log in to the website. Took several hours of multiple attempts (clearing history and browser cache multiple times) before I finally got the screen that allowed me to click that I'd lost the security key. Was able to remove it from the account, but then it took several more attempts to be able to log back in to the site to add it again. When all was said and done, I had the "new" key on my android device and the six digit code seems to be working just fine.

Just now managed to log in to the game using my physical security key, after it not working most of the day. Hopefully whatever was broken got fixed, and will stay fixed.

<edit>

Also managed to log in to my account on the site here, and enter the new Cantina code just now.

Edited by Adric_the_Red

To the contrary, I've seen things saying you can only remove a security key once. So if I remove my phys key and add a mobile key, I won't be able to remove the mobile key to re-add my phys key. Oh who am I kidding, they're never gonna fix it anyway, might as well go back to FFXIV.

That's funny, seeing as how SWTOR crashed to desktop on me not too long ago, and I just removed and readded my security key again.

PITA, but remove the old mobile key that used 8 digits via IE, uninstall the app, reinstall the app from the Play Store and walk through the process to attach the newly downloaded 6 digit version of the key the account and in game.

Switching to mobile worked perfectly. It's also much easier to read than physical auth. Plus it shows how long the key is valid (RSA is always 60 seconds). If you have a smartphone I highly recommend it.

Just to give you guys head up, I was able to log in using my physical key just now like normal. Hopefully that means they've fixed the problem for everyone.

Thanks for the head's up. Just retested after seeing your post and indeed it looks like the old authentication protocol is authenticating again at last. So physical key and old mobile app users should be fine again. Game on for those who haven't already used the workaround!

Edited by ZavienUK

But in any case, what you said is also incorrect. Of course you can re-add a security key. You re-add a physical one, or you can re-add the new mobile one. The only thing you can't do is re-add the old style mobile security key once removed.

This was a thing when they first brought in the keys. You could only have one key on each account and if you removed it, you couldn't add another. That is why people find old posts that warn against removing keys. But whatever was causing this (I'm assuming it was the tech of the old keys), no longer exists and you can add and remove to your hearts content now.

This was a thing when they first brought in the keys. You could only have one key on each account and if you removed it, you couldn't add another. That is why people find old posts that warn against removing keys. But whatever was causing this (I'm assuming it was the tech of the old keys), no longer exists and you can add and remove to your hearts content now.

There were a couple of separate things. Very early on there was a tech issue reattaching keys as you say. But also until the changeover in 2015 they decided only subscribers could attach mobile security keys (although they remained attached if your sub ran out with one attached). People were caught out when they changed phones while not a subscriber and found while they could remove their existing key they then couldn't reattach.

But anyway all that is historic now, any type of account can attach any type of key at any time.

Edited by ZavienUK