Arrogance and the Current Event

AlienEyeTX

I very rarely agree with anything you say, however the last two parts ring true. Although on the flipside is that players / people wouldn't be complaining as much as they do and have done if content (read: all types of content) was produced on a more frequent basis.

That is purely down to developer hours available, and considering the main goal seems to be "profit" over substance, it's wishful thinking. The developers have to walk a fine line between getting enough content out to maintain interest in the game, while ensuring that there is enough revenue to ensure the continuity of the game.

I personally think that's out of balance at the moment, however I'm also quite happy to go play other games if the content release schedule doesn't work for me as a customer, I'll take my money with me in the duration of that absence. No hesitation anymore. After the last chapter of KotFE is released, if no new content is on the horizon, the chances are I'll be off playing something else.

Read over my 2.0 post above. It's blatantly clear when you think over what we got back then how much has been cut from this game in terms of development resources and it's a shame but it is what it is.

Another point is you don't have to outright quit the game either. Save up on unlocks ( I tend to make this assumption the "been there done it all" crowd also have tons of credits which could be a mistaken assumption ) and switch to preferred.

Use your sub fee to play something else, when you get that urge to swtor you can do so and it's not costing you a thing. At least it keeps it fresh.

I'm not one to tell people how to live their lives but when all you see is negative posts from people who have been here for years it stops becoming about "I just want the game to get better!" and more about "I'm soo addicted to this game but also so bored of it I need an outlet to vent my frustration!".

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously go over his post history ... what doesn't he complain about?

The way he posted to support gabigool's wall of text shows he must too be bored of the game ( the gist I got from gabi's post ) so why hang around something you don't enjoy and find boring? I just don't understand these people.

I've reached this point myself in the past with this game, I unsubbed and went and did something else. As it is I sub to do the bits I like and still play other games - if all I did was play this game day in and day out and were so disillusioned over the state of the game I would have long since left.

Maybe that's just me though, to me a lot of these long time done it all players come across as utter masochists in their posts ... punishing themselves with the tedium and boredom that is repeating content day in and day out in swtor. Give me a break.

The only thing that would seem to give him pleasure out of this game is new content, fair enough. But it's not on the horizon yet so give us all a break from the incessant negativity and go do something else or at least stop posting about it, it's getting tired and boring. Come back when the game isn't "boring" anymore.

He does enjoy the game, that I can assure you, but like many is a bit frustrated that some parts aren't getting updates as frequently as others. I go off from time to time to play other games, but always come back, because like many here i genuinely like the game, but wish there were some other new things from time to time. We're humans, we get irritated, think oddly and sometimes don't express ourselves in the greatest of lights. But, as with most people posting here about the game, the reason they post, most often, is because they do enjoy the game and want to express what they feel will make or improve the game in a better way. We may agree with them, or disagree, but in the end, we all are here, mostly, because we choose to enjoy this entertainment.

He does enjoy the game, that I can assure you, but like many is a bit frustrated that some parts aren't getting updates as frequently as others. I go off from time to time to play other games, but always come back, because like many here i genuinely like the game, but wish there were some other new things from time to time. We're humans, we get irritated, think oddly and sometimes don't express ourselves in the greatest of lights. But, as with most people posting here about the game, the reason they post, most often, is because they do enjoy the game and want to express what they feel will make or improve the game in a better way. We may agree with them, or disagree, but in the end, we all are here, mostly, because we choose to enjoy this entertainment.

Well that being the case perhaps people need to put more thought into the posts they make.

Because I often read players literally posting how "bored" they are of the game yet claiming they enjoy it. Maybe it's me but I can't think of much that I am bored of that I also enjoy.

It's similar to the whole repetitive argument some make in regards to this event. "Bah I've done it all before, how repetitive, I'm going to go run Karagga's Palace for the 1000th time instead".

This is why the event is a good thing I feel, it encourages players to do things they may not have done before or not in a very long time and possibly realise there is still some fresh enjoyment from activities that have long since been in the game ( a shame they didn't add seeker droid/ macrobonoculars too the event ;) ).

If a player truly has been there and done that for everything that everything comes across as mundane and boring then surely it must be time to move on? I also would believe such players to be quite the minority, not the majority.

As to all of us wanting new content this event has another positive. It will push far more players into doing all the content that the voices asking for fresh content will increase greatly come the end of the event ( or the sub numbers will start dropping ) so in a way Bioware has forced their own hand here in needing to develop fresh content for a greater audience because they've now pushed people through all the content a lot quicker than they otherwise might have consumed it.

Well that being the case perhaps people need to put more thought into the posts they make.

Because I often read players literally posting how "bored" they are of the game yet claiming they enjoy it. Maybe it's me but I can't think of much that I am bored of that I also enjoy.

It's similar to the whole repetitive argument some make in regards to this event. "Bah I've done it all before, how repetitive, I'm going to go run Karagga's Palace for the 1000th time instead".

This is why the event is a good thing I feel, it encourages players to do things they may not have done before or not in a very long time and possibly realise there is still some fresh enjoyment from activities that have long since been in the game ( a shame they didn't add seeker droid/ macrobonoculars too the event ;) ).

If a player truly has been there and done that for everything that everything comes across as mundane and boring then surely it must be time to move on? I also would believe such players to be quite the minority, not the majority.

As to all of us wanting new content this event has another positive. It will push far more players into doing all the content that the voices asking for fresh content will increase greatly come the end of the event ( or the sub numbers will start dropping ) so in a way Bioware has forced their own hand here in needing to develop fresh content for a greater audience because they've now pushed people through all the content a lot quicker than they otherwise might have consumed it.

This I believe was the intent of the devs. They can see the metrics and the truth about what is actually getting played and by whom. So in my opinion they wanted to try and get everyone involved in the game again, and on the same page so we are ready for season 2. And from the comments I've seen in game, they are succeeding. I've seen plenty of old players actually enjoying themselves doing stuff they wouldn't have before the event, and they have no problem chatting about it.

The OP says all the right things without mentioning WHAT the actual event entails - replaying stuff many people already did, multiple times, that take a LONG time to achieve and in many cases (leveling crew skills again just 'cause) have zero replay value. The event has literally less new content than even hastily pulled-together Slot Machines they came up with when Strongholds had to be delayed.

Encouraging the players to pursue classes/crew skills they do not have yet is great. Pulling together playerbase decision numbers into the ultimate outcome that determines new content unlock (dark/light companion) is great.

But gating the rewards for veteran players behind redoing entire Legacies and telling them the event entails redoing what they already did is absolutely cheap and nonsensical even for MMO grind standards.

Edited by Pietrastor

I don't see how it is arrogant to be annoyed by an extremely time consuming "anniversary celebration" event that requires its players first earn their rewards and then cough up money to be able to use them.

Stop apologizing for people when it is YOU that they are taking advantage of.

Read over my 2.0 post above. It's blatantly clear when you think over what we got back then how much has been cut from this game in terms of development resources and it's a shame but it is what it is.

True... but it needs some important context.

A lot about 2.0 was in development since launch and prior to much of the downsizing at the studio when paid subs dropped heavily and prior to F2P business model transition.

3.0 was the first we see of what we know was core developed by the post F2P studio team, which everyone knows was a downsized version of the team at launch. Opinions vary as to numbers... but clearly a smaller studio team settling in for the run rates that stabilized after the move to F2P.

Most players seemed to be fairly happy with 3.0, despite the string of debacles that came with it. Same with 4.0, with the exception that peoples negativity over debacles was largely replaced by negativity from those that need/want a lot of new group content.

I'm not one to tell people how to live their lives but when all you see is negative posts from people who have been here for years it stops becoming about "I just want the game to get better!" and more about "I'm soo addicted to this game but also so bored of it I need an outlet to vent my frustration!".

100% agree.

Not that I expect anything to change... but I do wonder why someone who feels so negative and frustrated that virtually all you see from them is extreme negative posts, and "me too" pile-ons to other peoples extremely negative post, continues to play when there are so many choices and diversity in the MMO market place. When you find a game frustrating and not meeting hour needs.... there is nothing wrong with taking a break. I have done it myself.

I don't buy the "I complain because I want the game to be better" meme either. If that were true.. then they would present their concerns objectively, and then offer possible solutions objectively, followed by objective discussion with differing viewpoints. Instead, they more commonly focus on comments designed to be pejorative to the studio, the game, and to other players who dare to disagree with them.

Edited by Andryah

I don't see how it is arrogant to be annoyed by an extremely time consuming "anniversary celebration" event that requires its players first earn their rewards and then cough up money to be able to use them.

No advantages being taken here. When the game ceases to be fun for me, I'll stop paying and playing.

I'll go back to my old adage about new content: Everything gets its turn in time. People laughed at me for that opinion on story content years ago and, well, take a look now. Group stuff and PvP will get their turn Soon .

I don't buy the "I complain because I want the game to be better" meme either. If that were true.. then they would present their concerns objectively, and then offer possible solutions objectively, followed by objective discussion with differing viewpoints. Instead, they more commonly focus on comments designed to be pejorative to the studio, the game, and to other players who dare to disagree with them.

Well, for one thing, people are not static beings. Sometimes they are more objective and other times they are not (all within the same individual).

Sometimes someone is upset about various aspects of a game, but feels that other options out there don't stack up. Sometimes someone is upset about a game to the point of extreme boredom and dislike, but is addicted (addiction does not discriminate for enjoyment). Sometimes someone is on their way out the door, but is clinging to the hope that certain concerns will be listened to.

Basic pejoratives and nothing else isn't really helpful to anyone, but it's also the sort of thing that gets someone a ban on most moderated areas of the internet, so it doesn't stick around long. Those who mix pejoratives into otherwise "objective" feedback are likely doing it because of frustration. Even the most tempered of individuals can't be calm all the time.

Speaking generally, I find that it's easy to be the voice of reason when one is not personally invested. The real challenge is being the voice of reason when one is being faced with something they can't stand. Also phrased as, "We're all detached monks until it's our monastery under attack."

Well, for one thing, people are not static beings. Sometimes they are more objective and other times they are not (all within the same individual).

Sometimes someone is upset about various aspects of a game, but feels that other options out there don't stack up. Sometimes someone is upset about a game to the point of extreme boredom and dislike, but is addicted (addiction does not discriminate for enjoyment). Sometimes someone is on their way out the door, but is clinging to the hope that certain concerns will be listened to.

Basic pejoratives and nothing else isn't really helpful to anyone, but it's also the sort of thing that gets someone a ban on most moderated areas of the internet, so it doesn't stick around long. Those who mix pejoratives into otherwise "objective" feedback are likely doing it because of frustration. Even the most tempered of individuals can't be calm all the time.

Speaking generally, I find that it's easy to be the voice of reason when one is not personally invested. The real challenge is being the voice of reason when one is being faced with something they can't stand. Also phrased as, "We're all detached monks until it's our monastery under attack."

Well-stated. I think several folks here would do well to think a bit about what you've written.

Great post OP

I agree. In fact people in my guild are doing different things because there were people just doing story . But they start tried doing some of the flashpoints and there were people who enjoy it. Actually I did Kuart driveyard which I only did once years ago I had fun doing it as well as the other stuff So I believe this is a good opportunity for others to do different things. Imo

Nothing is "required" of you for this event. People blowing up over the "requirements" is the part that is cracking me up: the legendary tier "requirements" are not commandments. Ignore them if you want to.

Edited by Savej

Nothing is "required" of you for this event. People blowing up over the "requirements" is the part that is cracking me up: the legendary tier "requirements" are not commandments. Ignore them if you want to.

Come on Savej ... you simply need to approach this subject on a bigger picture than that, or else almost anything in the game isn't truly required. Why should they put hood toggle? They already have a way to put hoods down, yeah it may not be the best, but its cosmetic and doesn't affect gameplay... etc. etc. We could play circles all day if we use that argument, all im saying is approach the subject with a broader mindset.

I'm curious where you think I've crossed that line, I try to keep my posts pretty objective.

Great post OP

I agree. In fact people in my guild are doing different things because there were people just doing story . But they start tried doing some of the flashpoints and there were people who enjoy it. Actually I did Kuart driveyard which I only did once years ago I had fun doing it as well as the other stuff So I believe this is a good opportunity for others to do different things. Imo

See? ^This is what I'm talking about. I think that's fantastic!

I know that experience does not apply to everyone. But, I'm happy that it is working as intended for some. Probably even for more people than we realize. I don't know if they'll keep doing those "new" things they tried, but at least they've been exposed and some WILL keep doing other activities than usual.

This whole thing is a pretty clever way to get the newer players to do stuff they wouldn't normally bother with.

For the vets? Yes, maybe you've done it. But there's nothing new coming for at least a few months, so you might as well do these things again. If you're not interested, just go back to what you would have been doing anyway. The only reward that seems to be worth earning is the XP boost armor. And, as many have pointed out, leveling is so easy now, even that might not be worth the time. So, if you don't want that or the other rewards, don't beat yourself or others up about the whole thing. Just let it be.

To me, it's just a thing that is there and if I happen to cross paths with the event, fine. But I'm not going out of my way to participate (still haven't yet). But I do now support it's existence. And, yes, I do have a massive list of improvements that could be made if they ever decide to do it again.

I know that experience does not apply to everyone. But, I'm happy that it is working as intended for some. Probably even for more people than we realize. I don't know if they'll keep doing those "new" things they tried, but at least they've been exposed and some WILL keep doing other activities than usual.

This whole thing is a pretty clever way to get the newer players to do stuff they wouldn't normally bother with.

For the vets? Yes, maybe you've done it. But there's nothing new coming for at least a few months, so you might as well do these things again. If you're not interested, just go back to what you would have been doing anyway. The only reward that seems to be worth earning is the XP boost armor. And, as many have pointed out, leveling is so easy now, even that might not be worth the time. So, if you don't want that or the other rewards, don't beat yourself or others up about the whole thing. Just let it be.

To me, it's just a thing that is there and if I happen to cross paths with the event, fine. But I'm not going out of my way to participate (still haven't yet). But I do now support it's existence. And, yes, I do have a massive list of improvements that could be made if they ever decide to do it again.

The people i have run into it are mostly new or f2p and alraedy have done most of the stuff that is part of the event outside of the last step which requires a lot of things sorta walled by pay to use or just sub.

For vets the reality of it is your off in that there is no new content coming for a couple months, for vets they want group content be it several wz if they are pvp centered, or hm fp, ops or be it the forgotten gsf the devs so happily plugged yet totally forgot. Months should be more like probably next summer so a year from now. Is it worth just lingering along paying 15 a month for the same old same. that is totally an individual choice but as a vet i will game swtor on bw's model i will sub again next august and just play the 2 hours of very poorly written story chapter content and unsub again for another year if the game is even around that that point.

for the new player or f2p as you have pointed out. i already see a very steep decline in those that play regularly in several guilds on 4 different servers. So yes i could nto give you exact population numbers but generalized observation the game is hurting really bad and the event that you are so happy is successful really was a major dud.

gonna top that with many outlets that publish reviews or blogs about mmos and gaming in general have given the event a HUGE thumbs down. this will hurt the game in the long run not now but as people look for stuff to play they read that and pass on it. it will also lead more away when tney get frustrated with how repetitive it is when they start character number 2 and follow that by 3 it is curtains down and lights out.

The jist here is the event was a major step back and a really clear vision of how they will handle the game until it shuts its doors.

Like it or flame me its the truth and wishing it away with rosey happy posts honestly just doesn't help. Critique them for every miss step and give them the feedback they need to see they screwed up badly.

I hope BW takes advantage of this opportunity and expands endgame content for all these people running the event and for long-time vets who are ready for more. If we have to wait a few extra months because BW is trying to bring in more people... well, I think that's worth it.

:t_cool:

This is my main concern. As great as this event if is for new players and I do honestly believe it's amazing for new players, however, I doubt they are gonna really reinvest that revenue towards new endgame content. I think the devs don't care much about endgame content and are dangling it like a carrots so massive amounts of people won't unsub. They are more concerned with finding ways to nerf things that don't need to be nerfed in the first place. :(

This is my main concern. As great as this event if is for new players and I do honestly believe it's amazing for new players, however, I doubt they are gonna really reinvest that revenue towards new endgame content. I think the devs don't care much about endgame content and are dangling it like a carrots so massive amounts of people won't unsub. They are more concerned with finding ways to nerf things that don't need to be nerfed in the first place. :(

The way they talk about it reminds me of the way they used to talk about story expansion. :t_biggrin:

Take that for what it's worth. May be nothing. But... all things in time with this game.

I'm curious where you think I've crossed that line, I try to keep my posts pretty objective.

Read your long post. How objective is that when you kick the whole thing off by thinking that someone who has changed their mind on the event must be "drinking the Kool-aid" and more implications there in implying he has somehow had the wool pulled over his eyes in regards to his revised view on the event?

In fact half of your post comes across as a rant about how bored you are of the game even when doing things you've not done before ( i.e. KoTFE 10-15 ).

The rest assumes that the event is going to fail the new players longevity of the game because you assume everyone wants to go for legendary status and will just rush through it. So often I have seen complaints about the event on a whole when the complaints really refer to one tier of the event but choose to lump it all together anyway.

So from that post and another post in this thread where you've stated the only thing you seem to enjoy in the game is running top end raids ( possibly for the 100th time? Can't say how long you've been here doing those ) is where I think you've crossed that line.

If the games not fun anymore just stop playing it or enjoy what little you do enjoy. Clearly other people are getting enjoyment from it and the event ( evidenced by the upsurge in players seen on planets and per torstatus - that or it's truly a game full of masochists who punish themselves doing things they don't enjoy but I don't believe that ) so there is little use in putting in posts that basically come across as trying to tell people they are mistaken for finding enjoyment in areas you don't.

That's how I perceived it anyway. ;)

Yeah I was originally in the "But i can't get things for my main" crowd and whilst I still think that sucks I turned my thinking into "well I'll just use the event to make a new main then" - A sniper as opposed to my long time assassin so it should be fun to try get as good at it as I was my assassin for raiding purposes.

Breath of fresh air and all that, I unlike most players who've been around as long as I have hadn't done stuff all of the content really when I think about.

If ONLY they never engaged Zorz to help with ToS/Rav. I personally hold that decision responsible for the fall of raiding. The difficultyof SM just put soo many people off current raids at the time ( which only Rav/ToS were at level ) and they never bothered to really fix half of it for months later.

Add to that they never gave us a really nice story bonus for the first time you complete the raid ( you know like we got for TFB/SNV etc. ) and instead made it optional didn't help.

Also some poor decisions around making 16M no longer attractive so it became less likely for a couple of noobs to get carried through a raid hoping no one would notice, they do that a few times they learn the raid then they are carrying people. This worked great for the previous tiers.

All in all I think many design decisions around Rav/ToS killed operations popularity and it would be nice if bioware realised that and it wasn't that people just didn't want to raid - it was that they stuffed them up for people.

If ONLY they never engaged Zorz to help with ToS/Rav. I personally hold that decision responsible for the fall of raiding. The difficultyof SM just put soo many people off current raids at the time ( which only Rav/ToS were at level ) and they never bothered to really fix half of it for months later.

Add to that they never gave us a really nice story bonus for the first time you complete the raid ( you know like we got for TFB/SNV etc. ) and instead made it optional didn't help.

Also some poor decisions around making 16M no longer attractive so it became less likely for a couple of noobs to get carried through a raid hoping no one would notice, they do that a few times they learn the raid then they are carrying people. This worked great for the previous tiers.

All in all I think many design decisions around Rav/ToS killed operations popularity and it would be nice if bioware realised that and it wasn't that people just didn't want to raid - it was that they stuffed them up for people.

I agree with the sentiment, though I have never gone into an Ops.

And then they bumped all the raids to 65. Just before they did that, I was considering looking into and seeing if I could get into one of the original level 50 SM Ops to say I finally ran an Op and I had at least that gear level (surprisingly to myself as a filthy casual, actually I had better than that gear level, but that's beside the point), but then the patch came to raise all the Ops to 65, so my tentative considerations went to a halt right there.

I understand why they bumped them all, but I wish there was a 65-SM, 65-HM, 65-NiM option for the pre-65 stuff, and then on the other side of the wheel (since Mass Effect, and Dragon Age both used both sides of the wheel, it isn't unusual for BW to use a full circle, but it would be a slight shift from how the game mostly runs with dialogue wheels...) and then have the original level range stuff just reward less than the higher. Then the below 65 difficulty settings could be used as "Training mode" more than Story Modes. Or something, I dunno. I miss having the Ops at different level ranges.

If the games not fun anymore just stop playing it or enjoy what little you do enjoy. Clearly other people are getting enjoyment from it and the event ( evidenced by the upsurge in players seen on planets and per torstatus - that or it's truly a game full of masochists who punish themselves doing things they don't enjoy but I don't believe that ) so there is little use in putting in posts that basically come across as trying to tell people they are mistaken for finding enjoyment in areas you don't.

That's how I perceived it anyway. ;)

To keep it simple I'll just address this last part. I believe you are characterizing my post incorrectly. I do not believe I ever once suggested he (or anyone) is/wrong in finding enjoyment in this event. In fact, I'm pretty sure he never even expressed his enjoyment in the first place.

I addressed his premise (and, apparently yours, so I get where this is all coming from) that participation = enjoyment. I also specifically tried to explain why I disagree with his premise that "the best part" is that people are doing things they would otherwise not be doing.

I am sorry you chose to view it however you did, but you were incorrect for doing so.

As far as ripping my tone: I think you may want to consider that my post was not meant to be - nor would it be interpreted as by someone without an agenda - in any way rude. You just disagree with me so you're making it sound like a rant.

Like I said I try to be objective. I admit when I am wrong, and I try to show my opinions are reasoned. Perhaps "reasoned" would have been a better word for me to choose than "objective".

As much as some people cry that some of us have a lot of negative stuff to say, IMO it's far more tiring to keep reading "quit the game" or some half baked **** about how we're all just miserable because it implies we're not making valid points - and yet I see no where did you actually try to refute a single point in the post you quoted. You simply characterized it, which seems pretty pointless to me.

Edited by gabigool

I agree with the sentiment, though I have never gone into an Ops.

And then they bumped all the raids to 65. Just before they did that, I was considering looking into and seeing if I could get into one of the original level 50 SM Ops to say I finally ran an Op and I had at least that gear level (surprisingly to myself as a filthy casual, actually I had better than that gear level, but that's beside the point), but then the patch came to raise all the Ops to 65, so my tentative considerations went to a halt right there.

I understand why they bumped them all, but I wish there was a 65-SM, 65-HM, 65-NiM option for the pre-65 stuff, and then on the other side of the wheel (since Mass Effect, and Dragon Age both used both sides of the wheel, it isn't unusual for BW to use a full circle, but it would be a slight shift from how the game mostly runs with dialogue wheels...) and then have the original level range stuff just reward less than the higher. Then the below 65 difficulty settings could be used as "Training mode" more than Story Modes. Or something, I dunno. I miss having the Ops at different level ranges.

With the bolster from 50 to 65 it's really not that bad.

What is needed to assist players such as yourself is a huge 16 man carrot.

I once was like yourself and wouldn't set foot in MMO content like a raid for various reasons but when I gave it a go it was 16man and it was very forgiving that I could learn on the job without a bunch of elitists yelling at me for why we wiped etc.

Now raiding is my favorite part of this game with the marketing side.

Back in those days no one hardly ever bothered with 8 man, we need to get back to those days to take advantage of the new blood as 8 man is quite daunting for new players as you are expected to really carry your weight.