Dark vs. Light Event

EricMusco

So I created a new character today; not because I cared much about the light vs. dark event, but just because I wanted to play through the storyline of a new class. And occasionally I like to play a pvp match, just to shake things up.

Well, I just played my third PVP match, and in the course of the match my character jumped six levels. All I did was complete two very basic PVP quests. I guess some people might like that, but personally I feel like it takes all the challenge away, which for me makes the game less fun. I miss the days when reaching a new level felt an accomplishment. Why even have levels at all if you are going to make it that easy to advance?

Is there any way to opt out of this light vs dark event for new characters? Or a way to turn off whatever insane XP boosts are going on?

Nothing to do with the event. Base levelling speeds have been increased ever since 4.0 dropped.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me that the chickens are coming home to roost. A lot of the concerns, issues, and problems with the game are all being driven to the forefront with the latest "update." With the exception of brand new players and White Knights, almost every faction of this game is grabbing their torches and pitchforks.

I really can't remember a time when the general population was so upset. Previously, it's always been limited to a limited set of factions. I have no idea what they are going to do...if anything.

But, I will be watching the Twitch stream tomorrow because that's going to turn out to be the most dramatic storytelling, PVP, and Nim Operation in quite some time. It's now must-see TV.

I wait with "bated breath." :)

It seems to me that the chickens are coming home to roost. A lot of the concerns, issues, and problems with the game are all being driven to the forefront with the latest "update." With the exception of brand new players and White Knights, almost every faction of this game is grabbing their torches and pitchforks.

I really can't remember a time when the general population was so upset. Previously, it's always been limited to a limited set of factions. I have no idea what they are going to do...if anything.

But, I will be watching the Twitch stream tomorrow because that's going to turn out to be the most dramatic storytelling, PVP, and Nim Operation in quite some time. It's now must-see TV.

I wait with "bated breath." :)

I can when S.O.E screwed up SWG and managed to kill off the original version of the game ( before they made the wow clone of the game) ...funny that was a star wars game as well :rolleyes:

( face it if you ever played the real version of SWG pre 3rd combat uprgade / wow clone you know how great the game was)

Edited by trinzu

It couldn't get worse right? Surely no more bad news? Wrong.

Now there's conflicting responses whether these wonderful new items in the packs are actually meant to unlock in collections.

http://vulkk.com/2016/06/29/swtor-dark-vs-light-cartel-packs-items-not-unlock-collections/image/

Having at one time been a ticket monkey (for another company) - I wouldn't trust a ticket monkey's answer as to which way the sun rises in the morning.

Edited by IanArgent

It couldn't get worse right? Surely no more bad news? Wrong.

Now there's conflicting responses whether these wonderful new items in the packs are actually meant to unlock in collections.

http://vulkk.com/2016/06/29/swtor-dark-vs-light-cartel-packs-items-not-unlock-collections/image/

This is the first ray of sunlight I've heard since this 'event' was announced. CM real-money items should NEVER be offered as quest rewards because it removes all value from these items for those of us who've spent our hard-earned money to acquire them. I don't mind spending money on a hobby I love, but not when what I just bought is then given out for free to everyone.

So far these items are BoP, not collections-unlockable one way or the other if you don't get all 3 parts on the same character, and if this ticket is accurate not meant to be unlockable at all. It's a start, EAWare, now please remove the restricted, BoP versions from characters who didn't acquire them legitimately via the CM or from someone who did, and replace the dropboxes with NEW exclusive, non-CM event rewards.

Having at one time been a ticket monkey (for another company) - I wouldn't trust a ticket monkey's answer as to which way the sun rises in the morning.

True. Regardless, I perceive the conflicting responses as the larger issue...choosing which source to trust isn't exactly great PR.

This is the first ray of sunlight I've heard since this 'event' was announced. CM real-money items should NEVER be offered as quest rewards because it removes all value from these items for those of us who've spent our hard-earned money to acquire them. I don't mind spending money on a hobby I love, but not when what I just bought is then given out for free to everyone.

So far these items are BoP, not collections-unlockable one way or the other if you don't get all 3 parts on the same character, and if this ticket is accurate not meant to be unlockable at all. It's a start, EAWare, now please remove the restricted, BoP versions from characters who didn't acquire them legitimately via the CM or from someone who did, and replace the dropboxes with NEW exclusive, non-CM event rewards.

I can't say I've never bought CC, but I haven't recently, and I still buy the occasional pack, without spending any more than my base sub and having my referral link in my .sig

You can even get (a small amount of) CC for scoring achievements, if you happen to be F2P.

Which is the direct opposite that they have stated, so either they lied to us (.....) or there is a bug so they should respond to which it is. Of course if it is a bug I lay you odds it gets fixed in December.

And if you don't get all 3 packs to me that means the armor will not unlocked until you have it all but the other items (minus the dyes) should unlock.

A few extra details on the packs -the armor sets come in three separate boxes, Upper Body, Lower Body, and Supplementary. Each item that you earn from a Force-Bound Dark vs. Light Pack is Bind on Pickup, so they cannot be sold. However, these items do unlock in collections similar to other pack items.

Edited by casirabit

Let this be a lesson to the newer players here...

The bigger the hype from BW about something new, the bigger the let down.

"We have this great new event for you guys this summer. You're going to absolutely love it. It's the coolest thing we've ever come up with. We'll tell you more when we are ready to launch it. You'll love it, we promise."

"Okay, it's ready for launch. We love this idea and know you will too. Are you excited? Are you ready for this? We are, so here it is...you get to...you'll love this...you get to...

Replay everything you've done dozens of times all over again.

Isn't that great? We just knew you'd love this as m7ch as we do."

This sums it up really well.

I don't know if EAware or TOR can pull back from this but they are racing towards the least trustworthy and most disloyal company out there.

The lies are bad, the lack of any decent new content is bad but together its just terrible.

I really hope they pull off something amazing in the live stream but honestly if this is their amazing event everyone will love then I think they have misunderstood what is amazing or what people love.

Edited by Costello

Nothing to do with the event. Base levelling speeds have been increased ever since 4.0 dropped.

I've been playing this game since 4.0 came out, and I have never had one of my toons jump 6 levels in a matter of 5 minutes, as happened to me yesterday. Whatever is going on is even crazier than what I've experienced before. At this rate I'll be lvl 65 before I even finish chapter 1.

I understand why this might be desirable for some players, particularly people who've already played through all the class stories and didn't really want to create a new character in the first place. It gets the pain over quicker for them.

However, if one's goal is still to play through a class story and enjoy the game at a leisurely pace, this XP boost detracts from that IMO. I would love to be able to disable it.

Edited by Braktahr

I've been playing this game since 4.0 came out, and I have never had one of my toons jump 6 levels in a matter of 5 minutes, as happened to me yesterday.

If you have the right boosts active, it's very easy to do. Gain 3-5 levels from a flashpoint. Gain 2-3 from pvp. Lvl 29 at the end of Coruscant... Definitely not a challenge like it used to be. If you sub, its even faster. :p

I've been playing this game since 4.0 came out, and I have never had one of my toons jump 6 levels in a matter of 5 minutes, as happened to me yesterday. At this rate I'll be lvl 65 before I even finish chapter 1.

The PvP intro missions have some wacky XP awards. I thought they said they were going to adjust those in the last patch, but they may not have done so completely.

I gained 2 levels just from opening my "starter" emails yesterday; it's kinda nuts.

(I like it, because of the way that core powers are effectively hobbled during levelling means you don't get to learn your "final" rotation till you hit max level AND get a set of set-bonus armor)

Is it just me or are the cartel items you get in the crates bound and can't be saved in collections? If i can't use the items from the crates on all my main toons i don't see the point of the event. For example I got some cool revan armor sets that are bound and not saving in my collections like my normal cartel market gear. :(

If you have the right boosts active, it's very easy to do. Gain 3-5 levels from a flashpoint. Gain 2-3 from pvp. Lvl 29 at the end of Coruscant... Definitely not a challenge like it used to be. If you sub, its even faster. :p

I am a subscriber. Maybe I should go back to F2P. :(

Edited by Braktahr

Is it just me or are the cartel items you get in the crates bound and can't be saved in collections? If i can't use the items from the crates on all my main toons i don't see the point of the event. For example I got some cool revan armor sets that are bound and not saving in my collections like my normal cartel market gear. :(

Governor Tarkin: [referring to Bioware] They lied. They lied to us!

Darth Vader: I told you they would never consciously betray the Cartel Market.

Governor Tarkin: Terminate them... immediately!

:csw_deathstar: Never forget. :t_frown:

Edited by AlienEyeTX

this is the stupidest event I have ever heard of. you guys have completely lost it. my husband and I are veteran players and having been here since launch we already have the legendary status on one server. no way am I going to create 8 new characters on a new server to get what I already have. at this point we have both picked up and moved on to WoW because the things you guys are doing to this game is beyond ridiculous. I have played through several classes multiple times and frankly am bored with it. you spent all this time putting effort into this crap when you could have made new content for the players that have been here since the beginning. way to go saying screw you to your loyal fan base that has been here since launch. you guys need to rethink this mess or I see a lot more players leaving in the very near future if they haven't already. smh

:csw_deathstar: Never forget. :t_frown:

Too soon you guys...too soon...that was a day long remembered. It saw the end of Kenobi, it almost saw the end of the Rebellion.

this is the stupidest event I have ever heard of. you guys have completely lost it. my husband and I are veteran players and having been here since launch we already have the legendary status on one server. no way am I going to create 8 new characters on a new server to get what I already have. at this point we have both picked up and moved on to WoW because the things you guys are doing to this game is beyond ridiculous. I have played through several classes multiple times and frankly am bored with it. you spent all this time putting effort into this crap when you could have made new content for the players that have been here since the beginning. way to go saying screw you to your loyal fan base that has been here since launch. you guys need to rethink this mess or I see a lot more players leaving in the very near future if they haven't already. smh

Now if only everybody else stood up, unsubbed, and gave them a big middle finger until they stop this.