The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Dark vs. Light Event

EricMusco

I am so excited for this event!! I for one love the story. I've been through all the class stories three times (6 times as trooper) back when leveling was a grind. I still love to play the game from character creation to the current end. Now I have an even bigger reason to do so, limited time as it may be.

Thank you BioWare for this coming event. I will do my best to get all event achievements.

For the Swarm!

No wait...

My Life for Aiur!

No that's not right either...

For the Republic!!

There.

Ya, its really good im remaking a knight and warrior because i haven't played their main class story in 2 years. And everything is doable with ease but the last level which will take a lot of grinding.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The merciless Darth Hexid Companion or the courageous Master Ranos Companion – your Dark or Light side decisions in-game will determine which Companion reward gets unlocked!

Eric,

Answer this question please as there are different thoughts regarding this:

Is this based on your choices alone or with everyone's choices.

Can you get both companions if you have a light and dark character.

Thank you.

Total ONLY. Even if you are lightside only on every character, if dark side wins overall, you will ONLY get the dark side companion, and vice versa.

I may have missed this due to the huge amount of posts but are we going to be given free slots for the new toons were going to have to regrind from the start or have to pick a new severer again or delete the toons we have ,

this whole thing seems like a bad joke

yeah great idea for subbing for over 5 years to this game and doing a year of closed and open beta before that

:mad:

Eric,

Can the challenges for a higher tier be unlocked while at a much lower stage?

For example earning a million credits while at Valiant level would still count towards unlocking the Legendary stage.

Or, completing the Introductory Stronghold challenge at level 19 before unlocking Heroic level.

The way I read it, so no. In order for higher tiers requirements to be unlocked, you must complete entirely the tier before it. So hopefully eric can answer this to clear up any confusion. (Of which there seems to be a lot of confusion (which is bad for a blog post with info about the "event") or people not liking the requirements because they completely understand them)

Why so angry? So you can't get Legendary, what's the big deal?

Eternal isn't that big a hurdle to clear and that's the level that unlocks the new companion.

Let me see if I can come up with a suitable analogy for the people who have been here for years and pretty much done every single thing the game can offer ten times over:

Replace "content" with "water" for the purposes of the analogy.

A person is out in the desert, dying of thirst. They've made all the water they have last far longer than should be humanly possible. They even managed to find a small oasis a few times, but all of the oases have since dried up.

They think they see an oasis in the distance. They crawl toward it. As they get closer, they see a giant fence around it with a sign on the front "no entry without showing an unused pack of water bottles at the door." They collapse on the dirt, feeling cheated and stupid. If only they still had some water with them, they could get more.

Wait... did I just read that one of the requirements for full completion is to get a Stronghold using the intro quest?

So if we already have 5 strongholds, we HAVE to do this on another server?

:mad:

No, each character gets the mission completed by going to a stronghold. You usually have to do it from the purchase terminal for it to count, but it's a per character mission (that awards XP, even). I've never had to buy a new stronghold on a new character to do it. For my token 60 it just happened on the first time I went to the stronghold. (Incidentally, locking the token, since I had "meaningfully participated" by completing a mission)

No, I think sacrifice was the accurate word. The problem is the suggestion, not the word. Games are supposed to be fun. That's why we call them games. I take it your Legendary comment is tongue-in-cheek, but it nonetheless reminds me of serious positions people will take. Being Legendary in a game is a fantasy. Nothing more.

Not sure when people started getting the idea that games should feel like a job, but it's pretty amazing how ingrained it can be in some, as if the whole point of a game is to work.

It reminds me of how literally now has figuratively as one of its definitions, in a few dictionaries.

The trouble is what some people find fun others don't.

Really the stumbling block for this event is the Legendary level, people are seeing that and thinking if they can't get somehow it invalidates all the other levels.

For Eternal and below the requirements are actually quite attainable, only one character needs to do SoR and KotFE content, the other one just needs to hit 65, clear all FPs (a good few have solo mode) and participate in a minimal amount of PvP. That's barely a light sweat for most veterans.

I know players that find speed levelling characters to be fun. They wouldn't even bat an eye at this.

I know players in guilds that run the same OP over and over again (they did the same raids in WoW over and over too) and don't bat an eyelid but suggest that they level up a second character and they pitch a fit at being exposed to so much repetition.

All I'm seeing with the announcement of this event is a lot of immature players that possibly need to step away from the PC and think about their priorities. Don't get me wrong I'm a little bit underwhelmed by the prospect but I can see what the devs are trying to achieve.

And no, the Legendary comment wasn't tongue in cheek. I honestly believe titles that players want to brag about should be hard to acquire, whether that is a skill barrier or a time barrier is a matter for debate but I have no problem being locked out of achievements because I lack the required skill or time.

Total ONLY. Even if you are lightside only on every character, if dark side wins overall, you will ONLY get the dark side companion, and vice versa.

Then I perceive less people doing it honesty. If the choice was based on what their character doing then I could see more doing it but if it is based on everyone and on servers that you are not even on then I see less people even attempting it as they are going to feel like they have before their decisions don't matter.

Eternal isn't that big a hurdle to clear and that's the level that unlocks the new companion.

because it's absolutely unproductive an not fun!

2 examples which are already enough to turn my stomac upside down:

leveling 6 crew skills to 550 on 8 new toons which have to hit level 50 as well.

I want to play my already beloved toons instead of creating clones, wasting time and resources on them, because all it will amount to is them ending up covered in dust or being deleted anyway. It's too frustrating...

I can see her viewpoint but for her to be angry like this then bioware is doing something wrong. I have read her posts and she is the most fair and open minded person in the forums so for this to get her angry then they are doing something wrong in the handling of this.

I'm angry because I was excited about this, I was looking forward to it, but there is no way I'm doing all that again. No way. And then to add more insult to injury both of the new companions are female. No male companions.

Just as well, I don't want or need any female companions, so I just won't be wasting my time. Female players have been asking, pleading for a male force using companion forever, and this is what they give us. Why not a choice? Send 4, 2 of each and let us activate 2 that we like...

I don't often get angry, but this has really taken the cake today.

There are a few options:

• Complete the objectives on a different server than the server where you are capped.
  • Purchase additional Character Slots (to make this easier the team is planning to put these on sale at the start of the event)

-eric

Will you be adding the ability to purchase more character slots for people that already have 40 characters on one server?

After reading about the light/dark event, i wonder does bioware care about their community. i'm one of those people that's been in game for years and i've done all this already. got the achievements, ... This is a slap in the face for every sub that's been keeping this game alive for the last years. Long time subscribers have done these things already. In my case i have no more place for new toons and the solution (do it on another server i refuse to do). Really our community manager should reconsider how he does his job cause he really did an awful job now.

For the tactical and hard mode flashpoint requirement (which makes me cringe, btw, because it's so difficult to get queue pops and guild interest tends to run more expectedly towards ops)

1) Do these have to be done on a single new ls\ds toon, or can they be spread a-few-here-and-there to legacy ls\ds event toons?

2) Are these attached to any group finder-daily reward requirements?

From the wording in blog post, yes it can be done on multiple "event" characters (meaning ones made on or after June 28th) and no they are not tied to dailys, so you can just pick which one you want or are missing and queue up. Which.....now that I think about ,will queues really pick up if people are all looking for a specific fp but there 100 people in queue who are not looking for that ONE fp? (same with different roles, and HM FPs ecpecially.)

Can we get an answer on whether each "level" requires completion of the one before it? The way it is worded makes it sound like that is NOT the case, but then the requirements for Champion are much harder than Eternal, which is odd.

I may be able to complete Eternal, but I doubt I will be able to do Champion. If I complete all the Eternal requirements, will I only get credit if I also complete Champion before it? I would hate to go to all the trouble to do the Eternal requirements only to find I am disqualified for the companion reward.

Edited by CloudCastle

Let me see if I can come up with a suitable analogy for the people who have been here for years and pretty much done every single thing the game can offer ten times over:

Replace "content" with "water" for the purposes of the analogy.

A person is out in the desert, dying of thirst. They've made all the water they have last far longer than should be humanly possible. They even managed to find a small oasis a few times, but all of the oases have since dried up.

They think they see an oasis in the distance. They crawl toward it. As they get closer, they see a giant fence around it with a sign on the front "no entry without showing an unused pack of water bottles at the door." They collapse on the dirt, feeling cheated and stupid. If only they still had some water with them, they could get more.

Been there, done it.

I don't do OPs because I did that scene and had the dramas in other MMOs but like all I've been running the same flashpoints and class stories since the launch in 2011.

So I don't get Legendary level and I miss out on a sub par title and mount (honestly it's the turret of a tank that does nothing... the Trailblazer mount is far better looking :) )

If I want to take a shot at the Eternal level all I need to do is level up a couple of characters, something I do in lulls anyway (usually focusing on story, a speed run will actually be a bit of a novelty) that's how I got through my 19 characters I levelled the long way.

Edited by Vhaegrant

What's sad is that after the announcement they have actually gone silent once again instead of coming in and explaining the reasons they are doing it this way. They have essentially ignored the comments when they might could have solved some of this by coming in and explaining instead of trying to push it under the rug and pretending a problem doesn't exist.

Well at least the rewards aren't HK-55 themed...

Yup, people complain about rewards being HK related, the players want something different and unique instead of what we have been getting.

Now they try something different and people grill them for doing something new... ya i feel bad because this does seem like a good idea, its different, and now the people who were asking for something new get, something and then pull the same old stuff like im quitting SWTOR, which they still say then say it over and over again.

It's sad. Great job BW for trying something new, least you were listening to us on how sick of HK rewards we were.

I haven't been following this thread. I've been following, and posting, in this one.

That said, I just want to reiterate my feelings on this ridiculous "event."

I think it's one of the stupidest things you guys have done. This even tops that stupid slot machine. People have been practically screaming for new content for end-game (aside from story) for the last year. What do you guys do? You re-hash old content yet again. It negates anything that was previously accomplished in the game and I think you went to far with it this time. I've tried to be a "loyal supporter" but I always tell it like it is as well. And well, in my opinion, this time you guys really screwed up.

This thread is going to become the mother of all collections of entitlement posts I can see.

People really do want everything handed to them in modern MMOs it seems.

Play the event or don't. It's that simple. If you want the rewards, you play the event. If the rewards have no interest to you.. then you can skip the event completely.... like very other event ever in any MMO.

That's quite obvious. Thank you. The point here is that instead of something new this is BW telling us to go back and grind what we've already spent the last 5 years grinding. Deliver something new.

Its in the blog post talking about the armor. Yes its a very very VERY long wall of text to read, but its there.

Ooops completely managed to overlook the Dev Blog on rewards :o

'Victorious Pioneer’s Armor Set

As mentioned before, this armor set is an entirely new type of armor set. If you manage to complete the entire set, you will earn 50% bonus experience boost while wearing it. Unlocking the entire set will require you to complete up to Champion Level. You earn the following pieces at the following Levels:

•Legacy Level: Helm, Chest, Legs (25% bonus experience)

•Valiant Level: Belt, Bracer (+15% bonus experience / 40% total)

•Champion Level: Gloves, Boots (+10% bonus experience / 50% total)

The armor set is a moddable set which can be worn at level 1 and is bound to legacy! That means once you have unlocked the set you can freely move it to other characters in your legacy to help them level faster than ever, allowing you to move even faster through the event.'

Thanks for pointing that out, I was distracted by the big glitzy event page ;)