Petition: No more chance cubes in packs, better drop ratios

/signed

I haven't bought an hypercrate in ages, and the whole chance cube business was not enticing me to do it again. But after hearing some favorable reviews I figured I'd give it a try. I bought 5 hypercrates of the revenge pack and 5 of the visionary pack for 1900 cartel coins. The result ? Highly disappointing.

- 4 armors sets : only one is full and 2 are supplementary... Plus none of these are either the ones I was looking to get, or highly sought for in the cartel market.

- 2 mounts, 4 crystal, an emote and a title: none of these are either the ones I was looking to get, or highly sought for in the cartel market, and 4 crystal, really? What am I supposed to do with that?

- A bunch of stronghold decorations I might use if I can't find a way to make a little bit of profit with it

- Some gifts I would have easily gotten in just a few companion missions.

- Some scrap

Not only I haven't had anything of the stuff that I was looking forward to get, but selling the content of what I've got wont cover the price I would have to pay to get some of them in the GTN. Most of it is of very low value and won't sell well. I can understand not getting the things you want from 1 hypercrates, but from 10? I'll never buy an hypercrate ever again unless at least the rate drop is increased or I can choose the content I want.

Edited by lanawinst

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/signed

I haven't bought an hypercrate in ages, and the whole chance cube business was not enticing me to do it again. But after hearing some favorable reviews I figured I'd give it a try. I bought 5 hypercrates of the revenge pack and 5 of the visionary pack for 1900 cartel coins. The result ? Highly disappointing.

- 4 armors sets : only one is full and 2 are supplementary... Plus none of these are either the ones I was looking to get, or highly sought for in the cartel market.

- 2 mounts, 4 crystal, an emote and a title: none of these are either the ones I was looking to get, or highly sought for in the cartel market, and 4 crystal, really? What am I supposed to do with that?

- A bunch of stronghold decorations I might use if I can't find a way to make a little bit of profit with it

- Some gifts I would have easily gotten in just a few companion missions.

- Some scrap

Not only I haven't had anything of the stuff that I was looking forward to get, but selling the content of what I've got wont cover the price I would have to pay to get some of them in the GTN. Most of it is of very low value and won't sell well. I can understand not getting the things you want from 1 hypercrates, but from 10? I'll never buy an hypercrate ever again unless at least the rate drop is increased or I can choose the content I want.

You know what is funny about this post? Is that it's got absolutely nothing to do with chance cubes.

They don't in any way affect the chances of you getting the items you were "looking forward to get" - that is RNG and if there weren't chance cubes you would just get multiple double ups of bronze items instead.

Funnier still is once they bring back in the bronze items you the value of those are going to be much lower than chance cubes. I.e. chances cubes easily sell for 300K - bronze items getting added back in you would be lucky to get 10K.

I get the argument people make of "wanting more new variety" but when people try argue nonsense around chances cubes being worth less or somehow ruining their chances of getting silver/gold items I just have to laugh.

Also is sounds like you bought 5 packs of each - not 5 hypercrates of each based on the numbers of items you are listing.

Edited by MeNaCe-NZ

You know what is funny about this post? Is that it's got absolutely nothing to do with chance cubes.

They don't in any way affect the chances of you getting the items you were "looking forward to get" - that is RNG and if there weren't chance cubes you would just get multiple double ups of bronze items instead.

Funnier still is once they bring back in the bronze items you the value of those are going to be much lower than chance cubes. I.e. chances cubes easily sell for 300K - bronze items getting added back in you would be lucky to get 10K.

I get the argument people make of "wanting more new variety" but when people try argue nonsense around chances cubes being worth less or somehow ruining their chances of getting silver/gold items I just have to laugh.

Also is sounds like you bought 5 packs of each - not 5 hypercrates of each based on the numbers of items you are listing.

Agreed what people should have "petitioned" for is better RNG, chance cubes are still way better than getting a bronze since they sell so low.

Agreed what people should have "petitioned" for is better RNG, chance cubes are still way better than getting a bronze since they sell so low.

I like the upcoming change though ... much fewer cubes means prices for embargoed bronze/silver will sky rocket which is good because I have just so many of them to sell. ;)

I always thought the cubes would hit my bottom line ( and they did, they absolutely smashed the value of my saved up goods ) and didn't like them from the perspective but I also thought they were a positive change to the packs on a whole.

I guess this next change will bring a sort of balance so you do get a few cubes from a crate keeping variety up whilst bringing values of bronze/silver back up.

so what would stop people from buying a hyper crate of chance cubes no one will answer this question on this thread!

If that were on offer, I'm sure some folks would. I might give it a go.

I don't understand the wrath about the CM. It's there, you can use it or not as you choose. You don't NEED anything that is sold on the CM to play and enjoy the game, well, unless you're a F2P player but you could just sub.

My opinion on chance cubes is probably somewhat biased since I have had some good returns from them since their introduction, but they are a decent 'bonus' to packs and certainly good for newer players who may have missed out on stuff when the packs were originally introduced.

Would players actually purchase packs of chance cubes if they were separated I don't know I could not really say.

That is not to say that the way chance cubes work now is perfect I mean do players really want all the fluff that came with the packs titles and strange dye combos being examples but Bioware could tweak the drop rates so at least we have a better chance at getting a bronze armour as opposed to a title that no-one really uses and has probably already got.

doesnt bother me at all, all the dummys out there can spend their hard earned money on this stuff then list it on gtn for credits, then when its cheap ill buy whatever I want and be happy without having to risk a thing. Cartel Market changes make almost 0% difference to me

You're right, I've used the wrong term. It was 5 packs of each. But when I consider that these 10 crates are worth 1900 cartel coins, which is worth around 15 euros, and the worthless content I got for it, hypercrates or not, it was just clearly not worth it.

I'm not arguing that chance cubes are worst than what we had before, I'm arguing that I'd like to have a way to either choose the items I want and stop the randomness nonsense that both the crates and the chance cube feature; or to at least have a better drop ratio that could allow me to get a better chance of getting what I really want, or to at least buy the items I wanted by selling the items I've got. I won't buy another crate until one of these things happen. That's all.

Edited by lanawinst

Yes we get you are a business and you have to make money. But do you see these forums? That's a rhetorical question, you have a lot of unhappy customers I feel like I am being screwed over when I open these packs and I know for sure I am not the only one. If you feel the same please sign and explain your reasons. I think its about time someone made this post so I got a jump on it.

Bronze items from un-embargoed packs are essentially worthless, as they glut the market instantly. Cubes had actual resale value, and introduced past items in short supply. I cn only hope cubes are more common than new bronze items in the same slot.

Caving to the uninformed idiots whining about chance cubes is a huge mistake. Enjoy your extra 6 crap items that will go for under 5k on the market and the return of most packs being a complete waste. With cubes, at least you could resell the cube for 3-400K or so if you didnt get a gold or decent silver item.

i said it before, i actually like the chane cubes.

remember how it was before they where introduced ?

you had like 15 bronze rifles, 10 bronze blasters, 10 bronze sniper rifles and of course 20 boxes of the same bronze armor.... the cubes replaced the heavy drop of bronze items which i like more, because sometimes i get really nice items out of the cubes.. never gotten a unstable light saber out of a pack, but twice out of cubes :D

that said:

i agree that the chances to grab better items should be a bit higher and the drop rate of the cubes a bit lower

This guy gets it. In the cube crates, you'd open a hypercrate, get 30 or so cubes, and if you were so inclined, sell the cubes for 10-12 million, easily enough for multiple of the best golds in the crate (barring arbiter sabers). Now you'll end up with about 30k.

Chance cubes aren't going away but next pack will bring back bronze items, i kind of expect both camps to be unhappy, personally i wish they would just release two types of packs/crates one with cubes another without, not sure how feasible that is but on theory it sounds easy.

Oh, that would me awesome, because it would finallay show the pro-bronze camp how terrible bronzes are. The poor bastards who buy the bronze crates are flooded in the same 6 or so bronze items, and dump them for 1000 credits each. The cube buyers instead get cubes they can either open or sell for 3-400k, and get to snap up cheap bronzes, assuming anything is actually produced worth a damn in the bronze pool.

You're right, I've used the wrong term. It was 5 packs of each. But when I consider that these 10 crates are worth 1900 cartel coins, which is worth around 15 euros, and the worthless content I got for it, hypercrates or not, it was just clearly not worth it.

I'm not arguing that chance cubes are worst than what we had before, I'm arguing that I'd like to have a way to either choose the items I want and stop the randomness nonsense that both the crates and the chance cube feature; or to at least have a better drop ratio that could allow me to get a better chance of getting what I really want, or to at least buy the items I wanted by selling the items I've got. I won't buy another crate until one of these things happen. That's all.

Good news! There in fact IS a method to getting what you want. It's called the market, and the cubes present a much better path to actually getting something worthwhile than the bronze (or even silver) item you would have received in their place. The cubes sell for much more than essentially anything but a gold in any given pack. Want that silver mount in the current pack? You could get easily buy 3 for what you'd get selling one of the cubes you are complaining about.

Those same packs, in bronze style (ie, replacing each cube with a bronze item), would have been worth way less.

Bronze items from un-embargoed packs are essentially worthless, as they glut the market instantly.

I don't think so. I rather believe what you do is badmouthing them.

There are a LOT of VERY nice bronze items out there ... Just because everybody has them doesn't mean that they are bad ... A lot of good-looking armor pieces are also bronze ... With them you can build very nice armor ...

My personally only exception to it is cybernetic armor, which I absolutely detest.

Good news! There in fact IS a method to getting what you want. It's called the market, and the cubes present a much better path to actually getting something worthwhile than the bronze (or even silver) item you would have received in their place.

I never did. From all of the Chance Cubes I had, there was never an item I a) did not already have b) did like c) did want.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

I agree but not going to happen, this way with chance cubes they can push out a new hyper create and have people spend money on them more regularly then they used to.

Sure it makes old things available for new players, on the other hand it makes hyper creates less available to more people, the old packs used to drop in price eventually, several times I bought hyper creates from 3.7milion to 5 million, now super creates are more than that, all because those stupid chance cubes makes new stuff so much rarer, and unobtainable, who doesn't want either the unstable or vented sabers, or lightning tuning, but thanks to this stupid chance cubes making them less common the prices end up through the roof.

At least the old packs new players had a chance of getting some of the cool stuff, what new player is going to be able to buy the unstable for 30 million, or lightning for 10 million.

There was a good way to get the best of the older stuff, slot machines, but they made the contraband super easy to get money, then being bioware over reacted and nerfed it to beyond useless.

read it again I asked what would stop (or whats the problem with them making) people from buying a hypercrate JUST of chance cubes not whatever that answer came from

[*]Starting with Chapter 15's CM Pack, we are reintroducing new bronze items. If you would get a bronze item in a pack it can be either a new item, or a Chance Cube

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...43#edit8956143

I don't think so. I rather believe what you do is badmouthing them.

There are a LOT of VERY nice bronze items out there ... Just because everybody has them doesn't mean that they are bad ... A lot of good-looking armor pieces are also bronze ... With them you can build very nice armor ...

My personally only exception to it is cybernetic armor, which I absolutely detest.

I never did. From all of the Chance Cubes I had, there was never an item I a) did not already have b) did like c) did want.

Yeah that first copy of that bronze item great! The seconds or 3rd ... sure I could use that on an alt one day. The 4th, 5th , 6th etc. etc. meh junk.