Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Alignment doesn't make sense, BioLucas

wikimon

so you are trying to say making an illogical rp choice, by letting light sided jedi use dark sided items, increases your enjoyment of rping, that is illogical my friend, I really do think you are a troll.

i never said that you should be able to do so. YOU suggested it.

i would can this whole system and make something that actually made sense and was fun.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i never said that you should be able to do so. YOU suggested it.

i would can this whole system and make something that actually made sense and was fun.

I never once said it. And it does make sense.

Edited by Lormif

There is incentive, there is the RP, there is different color gear, different looking gear. I am not arguing for the sake of arguing, I am speaking logically, you are speaking of instant gratification.

you did say it. you suggested switching sides to get "different looking gear"

why you have to backpedal now

you did say it. you suggested switching sides to get "different looking gear"

why you have to backpedal now

That is different from a dark side wielding a light side item, you switched sides, you are now dark, if you want to wield light side switch back.. Do you even speak logic?

They're NOT points. It's a sliding scale between light and dark. Did the indicator in the character window not give that away?

His point is that it should work that way.

As it is now, if you make 50/50 LS/DS choices, you will be incredibly gimped when it comes to gear choice, as you won't be able to get any gear that requires even LS1 or DS1.

How it should work is that DS/LS points you've acquired should count towards equipment. So if you have 1000 DS and 1000 LS, you should be able to buy either one.

As it is now, if you make 50/50 LS/DS choices, you will be incredibly gimped when it comes to gear choice, as you won't be able to get any gear that requires even LS1 or DS1.

How it should work is that DS/LS points you've acquired should count towards equipment. So if you have 1000 DS and 1000 LS, you should be able to buy either one.

Again, that is not how it should work, that does not make sense from an RP element.

That is different from a dark side wielding a light side item, you switched sides, you are now dark, if you want to wield light side switch back.. Do you even speak logic?

If you went full DS, it is impossible to switch to full LS, even if you want to.

If that is the cases, then I stated several times you should be able to.. SW is about falling and redemption.

Good then you agree with me. Because that's how it currently works. If you go full DS (or full LS) it is impossible to get full LS (or full DS). Hell, it's impossible to get LS ranks at all if you went full DS.

no. i don't speak your brand of logic because what you just said didn't make a lick of sense.

no. i don't speak your brand of logic because what you just said didn't make a lick of sense.

If you are dark you should not be able to wield light side items.

If you are light you should not be able to wield dark side items.

If you are dark you need to be redeemed to wield light side

If you are light side you need to fall to wield dark side.

if you want to switch again, then you should..

All of this makes sense from an RP element of the game, and increases immersion in the game.

What you want hurts RP, because it makes no sense from an RP, Logical, or RL standpoint, so therefore hurts immersion.

Light hates the dark, so someone who can wield the full power of the light will not be able to wield the full power of the dark, and the same for the opposite.

/onegiantfacepalm

Edited by grimgryphon

If you are light side you need to fall to wield dark side.

if you want to switch again, then you should..

All of this makes sense from an RP element of the game, and increases immersion in the game.

What you want hurts RP, because it makes no sense from an RP, Logical, or RL standpoint, so therefore hurts immersion.

Light hates the dark, so someone who can wield the full power of the light will not be able to wield the full power of the dark, and the same for the opposite.

@OP: What you want is to throw choice outta the window and allow everything to everyone, as opposed to Bioware`s choice of "you wear what you qualify for". (see above for explanation)

Edited by Styxx

okay how about this, you get paid 5 bucks an hour for shoveling a hole. you can also get paid 5 bucks an hour for mixing this cement.

you shoveled a hole for an hour. i shoveled a hold for an hour AND ALSO mixed cement for an hour.

you got paid, i didn't

where is the fairness?

Bad comparison. You are comparing two different aspects. SWTOR's system is more like if you dug dirt out of a hole for and hour, and then turned around a put dirt back in the hole for another hour, where would that put you at?

What you want is to throw choice outta the window and allow everything to everyone, as opposed to Bioware`s choice of "you wear what you qualify for".

How the F* do you get that? You chose which side you are, and what you qualify for... They way I speak of is the way it currently works, just they need to make it so the points dont cap.

Forget using Light or Dark gear. There needs to be a set of Neutral gear.

To get to Light 1, you need 1000 Light Points.

To get to Dark 1, you need 1000 Dark Points.

There should be a Neutral 1. Requires 500 Light Points, 500 Dark Points, and a maximum alignment value of 1000.

Neutral 2. Requires 1000 Light Points, 1000 Dark Points, and a maximum alignment value of 1000.

So on and so forth.

For example, right now my Alignment is Light 1. I have 2900 Light Points, 1750 Dark Points, and an Alignment score of 1150.

Say I make a few naughty choices and gain 300 Dark Points, boosting that score to 2050. Now I have an alignment score of 850 and more than 2000 points on Dark and Light. That should put me at Neutral 3 or 4.

If you are light side you need to fall to wield dark side

there is no benefit to doing so. whatever point you were trying to make is completely moot.

you're in the middle of the city. on the east side, there is pizza. on the west side there is burgers.

there is no point in standing in the middle of the city taking steps east, then backtracking west etc etc. that is this game.

furthermore there is no point in running all the way to the burger place placing an order, not getting the food, and then running all the way back to the pizza place, just smelling the pizza, then running back to the middle....

which is what you're suggesting people "want to do"

How the F* do you get that? You chose which side you are, and what you qualify for... They way I speak of is the way it currently works, just they need to make it so the points dont cap.

Bad wording.. was aimed at OP with your quote as explanation... will edit...

Forget using Light or Dark gear. There needs to be a set of Neutral gear.

To get to Light 1, you need 1000 Light Points.

To get to Dark 1, you need 1000 Dark Points.

There should be a Neutral 1. Requires 500 Light Points, 500 Dark Points, and a maximum alignment value of 1000.

Neutral 2. Requires 1000 Light Points, 1000 Dark Points, and a maximum alignment value of 1000.

So on and so forth.

For example, right now my Alignment is Light 1. I have 2900 Light Points, 1750 Dark Points, and an Alignment score of 1150.

Say I make a few naughty choices and gain 300 Dark Points, boosting that score to 2050. Now I have an alignment score of 850 and more than 2000 points on Dark and Light. That should put me at Neutral 3 or 4.

And from an RP standpoint who would give you the gear? The republic and the empire are not going to give you their best stuff, as you are not trustworthy. You may not of even met the Voss yet.

Personally I don't see how it is possible for someone to have a credible character that makes consistent choices and still have perfectly balanced L and D points.

Unless of course you are role playing an insane person.

Perfectly balanced is a stretch, but it's not that hard. Especially depending on which flashpoints you run.

If you are neither Dark Side nor Light Side, you're a flip-flopper, basically.

You have no real standards or ideals or principles.

I've made plenty of Light Side choices because they were more efficient and my Sith Warrior is an efficient type of character, but in the end, I've made more Dark Side choices, so I am progressing past Dark I towards Dark II now and I have no doubt I'll hit higher levels as well.

I really don't see how you could make choices to remain neutral without being completely inconsistent and/or random given the kind of options you're provided with throughout the game.