Best weapon for leveling?

RoyalSignal

Ok, so i've noticed that i'm out-leveling my weapon really fast and really easy.

I'm not seeing any weapons drop from Heroics like gear. And the mod vendors are all green items.

Where is the best places to acquire weapons/mods for weapons?

Ok, so i've noticed that i'm out-leveling my weapon really fast and really easy.

I'm not seeing any weapons drop from Heroics like gear. And the mod vendors are all green items.

Just use the drops or quest rewards, you'll kill everything.

Get yourself a mod-able weapon (usually orange or purple) and either buy green mods from the planetary mod vendors, or buy blue mods on the fleet.

There is also a new equipment vendor on the fleet in the same area as the mod vendors, that may have orange mod-able weapons.

if you're using moddable gear, pay attention to the item rating of each of those mods. It doesn't matter if they're green, blue or purple - a rating 100 green mod has the same level of 'power' as a rating 100 blue mod. The difference is that the blue and purple mods might be available earlier in the game as special drops before you'll see the same-rating green one, and so they're useful longer.

Also don't hang on to a blue or purple mod longer than you need to. If you find a green mod you can use that's better than what you have, use it.

Moddable items like armor shells or weapons will use the rating of the armoring/barrel/hilt in them rather than an average of all their moddable pieces.

Just use the drops or quest rewards, you'll kill everything.

Don't pick the quest reward from story mission ever, the 12 crystals are way better can use them to buy 6 mods to upgrade 2 items.

Green mods you see on the Equipment Modifications Vendor on Fleet are actually ~ = to the old blue mods they used to sell, and there is more variety as well. You just need a modable weapon to pop them in to.

Just go to Fleet.. buy a modable weapon from the low level Equipment vendor (cost you 6 crystals), and a set of three mods (which are 2 crystals each) and pop them into the weapon. Then every 4-8 levels dash back to fleet for a couple minutes and spend 6 more crystals to buy three new level appropriate mods needed for the weapon and pop them in and proceed to play.

Don't pick the quest reward from story mission ever, the 12 crystals are way better can use them to buy 6 mods to upgrade 2 items.

Joe is absolutely correct. Always take the crystal rewards. It's much more helpful to use them on companions and other gear. In Shadow of Revan they give you 300 crystals (297 exactly IIRC), so you can easily upgrade gear and buy a few companion gifts and still be max crystals when you hit max level.

But really as long as your barrel/hilt is kept current you won't even notice the loss of a couple of crystals a level, and it's still an easy experience leveling.

When leveling I always just use the gear that drops from the heroic missions. The stats on that blue gear you get far exceeds the stats you'll get from getting mods every 4 levels.

Do they drop weapons? I do the really easy H2s on my characters as I'm leveling about every 10 levels to cycle out armor and such, but I can't recall actually getting a weapon from them. Offhands, yes, weapons, maybe I'm just forgetting.

Edited by Mykra

Do they drop weapons? I do the really easy H2s on my characters as I'm leveling about every 10 levels to cycle out armor and such, but I can't recall actually getting a weapon from them. Offhands, yes, weapons, maybe I'm just forgetting.

They drop offhanded weapons I know for a fact, never seen main hand.

I almost never take the crystal rewards for quests when it has a piece of gear better than what I have, I still hit my max at 65. Dealing with mods and crap is too much of a hassle before level 65, IMO. You'll be just fine using drops and quest rewards. Basically I'm just saying, you can't really go wrong. Do what you want.

With 2x, I'm hitting 65 before Chapter 1 even ends, so I use my comms and get a full 208 set from fleet anyways.

Edited by GelstonJ

They drop offhanded weapons I know for a fact, never seen main hand.

The offhand weapon can be equipped in both main or offhand. If you read the tooltip when you hover your mouse, it lists both main hand and off hand. Don't be confused by the fact that offhand is in the name of the item.

Edited by Nightblazer

The offhand weapon can be equipped in both main or offhand. If you read the tooltip when you hover your mouse, it lists both main hand and off hand. Don't be confused by the fact that offhand is in the name of the item.

Yes, but those only drop if you are a class that uses an offhand weapon. So while dual wielders may have a slight perk, it helps no one else.

Yes, but those only drop if you are a class that uses an offhand weapon. So while dual wielders may have a slight perk, it helps no one else.

I have gotten weapons from there heroic missions for both my juggernaut and marauder and currently work on my guardian. While the two items you get are randomized I have gotten weapons on all three classes so far.

Edited by Nightblazer

I have gotten weapons from there heroic missions for both my juggernaut andy marauder and currently work on my guardian. While the two items you get are randomized I have gotten weapons on all three classes so far.

Hmm.. Never had a single "mainhand" weapon drop.

I need to go back and level up a character since they brought in level sync.

But, haven't they put in a bolster mechanic as well?

I know that all my level 65 characters have the same stats when running through Tatooine for the Heroics. Doesn't this apply if you are only a few levels over the limit (when I levelled most of my characters up they were always on the verge of turning the missions grey)

I know that all my level 65 characters have the same stats when running through Tatooine for the Heroics. Doesn't this apply if you are only a few levels over the limit (when I levelled most of my characters up they were always on the verge of turning the missions grey)

There are no grey missions anymore. You are synced to the max level of the planet.

Well, except for some of those stage 3 bonus turn ins.

Edited by GelstonJ

There is not (or was not a few months back) a bolster for on-planet PvE. I ran Alderaan before tatooine on an agent a little while ago, and was not at level cap for most of Alderaan. There was no bolster there.

There are no grey missions anymore. You are synced to the max level of the planet.

Well, except for some of those stage 3 bonus turn ins.

I know. I meant when I levelled back pre-4.0 my characters were on the limit and ran the risk of turning missions grey.

There is not (or was not a few months back) a bolster for on-planet PvE. I ran Alderaan before tatooine on an agent a little while ago, and was not at level cap for most of Alderaan. There was no bolster there.

That's part of what I was questioning. I've not levelled up since 4.0 dropped. When I was levelling through the game my characters were frequently 5+ levels above the content.

Does a situation exist where a character that overlevels a planet and is level synced then receives a debuff (sorry I realise I referred to it as a bolster) that is the same for every AC. I know my level 65 tank character running around on Tatooine has exactly the same health as my level 65 DPS character while they are on Tatooine.

I know. I meant when I levelled back pre-4.0 my characters were on the limit and ran the risk of turning missions grey.

That's part of what I was questioning. I've not levelled up since 4.0 dropped. When I was levelling through the game my characters were frequently 5+ levels above the content.

Does a situation exist where a character that overlevels a planet and is level synced then receives a debuff (sorry I realise I referred to it as a bolster) that is the same for every AC. I know my level 65 tank character running around on Tatooine has exactly the same health as my level 65 DPS character while they are on Tatooine.

Level Sync (appears to) work in the following (iron-fisted) fashion: Your Health, Damage Per Second windows, and Heals per second windows are hard capped to values "appropriate" (chosen by the devs) to the planet you're on, to match those values to the "intended" challenge rating of the planetary enemies. To indicate this, you get a "downlevel" indicator next to your level indicator, and only your Mastery, Power, and Endurance values are shown as downgraded. The stat caps are planet-wide and do not take into account anything but the final values (not gear, or AC, or anything else), and for some reason the HP cap is slightly lower than you'd expect from the END stat, according to people who have run those numbers.

In particular, your Crit, Alacrity, Accuracy, and Defense (and Shield/Absorb if you have some of that) are not affected by the stat cap. You also still have all the skills available to you appropriate to your level. Put all of that together, and over-level (particularly level-max) characters are still well ahead of the power curve when under level sync. The difference is, they can still be injured by NPCs, whereas prior to 4.0, once you were ~7 levels above an NPC, you couldn't be hurt by them. Level sync "Flattens" the effective power curve, allowing the writers to set level-max-targeted content on older planets. This includes heroics, but also the shield bunkers for the Star Fortresses; and leaves them the option to put KotFE chapter content on the older worlds.

Follow-up to above. The Level Sync feature not only allows "higher level" content to be set on "lower level" planets, but it allowed the devs to set up the current levelling scheme, whereby a character can stay on the "levelling curve" by only doing all the purple missions, and skipping the non-purple ones. If you don't skip the optional missions, you still get "true level" appropriate rewards, but can still be (nominally) challenged by planetary content.