How would you rate the new Chapter (spoilers)?

DarthThuzad

Why? People are ok with horror movies and all they entail (as an example)? I'm not, at 43 years old you can name pretty much any horror movie from the last three decades and i can (proudly i might add) tell you i have not seen it because to me ithey're ghastly - that people could find thrills/enjoyment from stuff like that is an alien concept - doesn't mean i think people who enjoy them are nutters. People like boxing (either as a competitor or a spectator) yet i find it repugnant - the concept of (essentially) beating someone up for fun and profit is not something i am into, doesn't mean i think people into boxing are loopy. How is someone enjoying a death scene in a game different or a sign that they're unstable? Is it because they get to push the button that makes the script fire and cause it to happen as opposed to paying the price of admission?

I watch horror movies, in fact, I quite enjoy them. Hell, I kept watching the premonition scenes in Final Destination movies multiple times. Seriously, before the rest of the movie continues on, I'll rewind watch rewind watch those scenes. I love Freddy Kreuger, I have all his movies. In fact, almost every movie I own is a horror movie in general.

Scary/horror movies are one thing, movies like Saw and Hostel are another. The two big differences are, suffering, torture. Anything with Suffering and Torture are big noes to me. I can't stand either.

Sure, the companions in chapter 13 didn't suffer per se. It was a one shot one kill thing.

But I don't enjoy those horror movies I see. I see them because it's something to watch while I'm bored. Freddy's funny and it's more psychological suffer than physical.

Thing is, while I may enjoy those movies, I don't know the characters very well. What do I care if random person in Movie 3 dies when I didn't see them in Movies 1-2 or 4-7? What do I care if Jason is reeking havoc again on campers? They're not there in the next movie.

My point is, I know the companions. I may not know what they do behind the scenes like making love or taking a piss or eating or what their favorite sock color might be. But I've been here since 2011. I have had these companions with me since then. 5 years for me. I have multiple characters/classes on multiple servers. Doesn't matter if I'm 65 on all those toons, or only level 15. I know when I get them, how I get them and why I got them. I finished their companion stories during 2012 all 40 of them. I did Treek and HK-51's companion stories.

I feel like they're family. I slept with some, romanced some, and married some. I helped Vette with her mother and sister. I helped Jorgan save his old squad. I put in time, work, and companion gifts for those 40 companions. Every one I've taken through KotFE began at rank 10 (when 10,000 affection was the max).

So, in other words, these people (yes JUST pixels) but they're who I consider family.

Jorgan is my Sith Warrior, Sith Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter and Agent's brother-in-law. He's the uncle (by marriage) to my Smuggler, Jedi Knight and Jedi Consular. Does he do some things that annoy me? Sure, everyone on this planet does SOMETHING to annoy me. This is one reason I can't kill the companions. Kaliyo is my Agent's friend, no matter how back stabby she is. She's also an aunt by name only to my Jedi Knight.

In other words, no matter how pissed or annoyed I may find the companions, even Skadge, I can't just kill them. They are literally, in game, my characters' family. All of them. Do I want to smack Kaliyo sometimes? Sure. But kill? No.

I know not everyone worked their family legacy tree like I did, but simply ENJOYING killing someone, pixelated or not, is seriously something wrong with a person.

Y'all can sit there and try to justify it all you want, but the simple LOL YAY I KILLED THIS GUY/GIRL HEHEHEHEHEHE *rewatchrewatchrewatch* Is just cruel and unusual. If you want to kill every single companion until you have 1 left, so be it, but don't expect me to congratulate you on killing a companion just cause you RP'd it or didn't like that companion.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why though? If it was someone i knew that i caught in your example, doing that i may be a bit surprised but i certainly wouldn't think they're crazy. Maybe that's because the people i know are able to enjoy something and maintain the level of detachment i referred to in my other post. I can't really comment on people outisde my circle of friendship though. A judgement on someone i have known for less than a minute or who i am only replying to on a forum and (is likely half a world away - I'm in Australia) is not something i entertain.

Y'all can sit there and try to justify it all you want, but the simple LOL YAY I KILLED THIS GUY/GIRL HEHEHEHEHEHE *rewatchrewatchrewatch* Is just cruel and unusual. If you want to kill every single companion until you have 1 left, so be it, but don't expect me to congratulate you on killing a companion just cause you RP'd it or didn't like that companion.

I'm not trying to justify anything to you. I'm not judging your mental health for how you feel about it - i don't need to, nor do i have a right to. I respect that you like different things. I also don't know you beyond how you present yourself here so i have no grounds to judge you just because you like different things to me. It's awesome you did your legacy to that level of detail. I haven't because i found it far too limiting as a system. Do i mistake your enjoyment and (clear) passion for those things as you being mentally unstable though, or that you're a "bad person" for it? Nope - and that's the point (or points i guess) i am making.

Why though? If it was someone i knew that i caught in your example, doing that i may be a bit surprised but i certainly wouldn't think they're crazy. Maybe that's because the people i know are able to enjoy something and maintain the level of detachment i referred to in my other post. I can't really comment on people outisde my circle of friendship though. A judgement on someone i have known for less than a minute or who i am only replying to on a forum and (is likely half a world away - I'm in Australia) is not something i entertain.

So much this.

Not everyone views things the same way, and it is not a sign of mental illness to retain a sense of detachment over something that is not real. I might be a little confused to see someone write that they are emotionally attached to their npcs, but... I'm not going to suggest they are mentally ill purely because they don't view the reality/fantasy divide the same way I do. (Also Australian)

Edited by Rantank

Eh, I still think there's a fine line between healthy entertainment and enjoyment of whichever content and unhealthy enjoyment/satisfaction. I know plenty folks here on the forums who I suspect will kill certain companions if given the chance and I don't judge them for it even if I myself wouldn't kill said companion. That's their business and their game, their 15 bucks but I also know they won't come back here and brag about it in a massive post while redoing the scene for the twentieth time just to get their kicks. Those who do.. when not in a RP setting (aka when not in the sense of 'my SI is a psycho DS Sith') ..yeah I'll be frowning and wondering just what the hell goes on in their minds that they get THAT over the top much gratification out of doing such a thing. For me that goes beyond entertainment. And arguing attachment/detachment doesn't apply here in my eyes.. because if there really is detachment then there's not much enjoyment to gain from repeating such a scene multiple times over either. Edited by JennyFlynn

Eh, I still think there's a fine line between healthy entertainment and enjoyment of whichever content and unhealthy enjoyment/satisfaction. I know plenty folks here on the forums who I suspect will kill certain companions if given the chance and I don't judge them for it even if I myself wouldn't kill said companion. That's their business and their game, their 15 bucks but I also know they won't come back here and brag about it in a massive post while redoing the scene for the twentieth time just to get their kicks. Those who do.. when not in a RP setting (aka when not in the sense of 'my SI is a psycho DS Sith') ..yeah I'll be frowning and wondering just what the hell goes on in their minds that they get THAT over the top much gratification out of doing such a thing. For me that goes beyond entertainment.

^ This.

I'll just sit in my corner, continue to defend the companions, cause someone does. And just shake my head at the people who overly is excited by the prospect.

Eh, I still think there's a fine line between healthy entertainment and enjoyment of whichever content and unhealthy enjoyment/satisfaction. I know plenty folks here on the forums who I suspect will kill certain companions if given the chance and I don't judge them for it even if I myself wouldn't kill said companion. That's their business and their game, their 15 bucks but I also know they won't come back here and brag about it in a massive post while redoing the scene for the twentieth time just to get their kicks. Those who do.. when not in a RP setting (aka when not in the sense of 'my SI is a psycho DS Sith') ..yeah I'll be frowning and wondering just what the hell goes on in their minds that they get THAT over the top much gratification out of doing such a thing. For me that goes beyond entertainment. And arguing attachment/detachment doesn't apply here in my eyes.. because if there really is detachment then there's not much enjoyment to gain from repeating such a scene multiple times over either.

Yeah, I'm a fan of finding a fine balance. Usually if I'm killing it's for an in-character reason and it depends on which character I'm running. For example, I found Jorgan's kill satisfying only because of his blatant insubordination towards my sorcerer in chapter 12 on top of how well they did not get along in chapter 11. Kaliyo's was more satisfying because all she did was go like "U MAD BRO" and insult Havoc right at their coffins. However, those who are in the habit of killing for the luls are missing out on quite a bit from an RP perspective.

That being said, I'm also not in the habit of blanket judging those who did kill Jorgan/Kaliyo.

For the most part, I've enjoyed the new chapters. I though "Dissavowed" was well done and did Aric justice, same with "Anarchy in Paradise" and Kaliyo. Bravo to Bioware for both of those. :)

For the last one, my Sith Warrior was excited when he heard Vette was returning. However, I was a bit let down with this chapter.....

I Romanced both Vette and Jaesa in the main story, but didn't marry either. Was excited to see Vette in this latest chapter but was very disappointed in the lack of depth upon seeing her again. Aric was the main companion for the Trooper, and he gets a chapter and good cut scenes. Kaliyo was the main companion for the Agent and gets a whole chapter and a some very good emotions.... Vette? She was the Sith Warrior's main companion and not only is she a background character in this chapter, the starring role goes to Gault, who barely was a footnote in the Bounty Hunter story. I would have liked to see those roles reversed and some more conversations with Vette.....and how about a chance to re-kindle the romance????? Not even one flirt option? :(

For the most part, I've enjoyed the new chapters. I though "Dissavowed" was well done and did Aric justice, same with "Anarchy in Paradise" and Kaliyo. Bravo to Bioware for both of those. :)

For the last one, my Sith Warrior was excited when he heard Vette was returning. However, I was a bit let down with this chapter.....

I Romanced both Vette and Jaesa in the main story, but didn't marry either. Was excited to see Vette in this latest chapter but was very disappointed in the lack of depth upon seeing her again. Aric was the main companion for the Trooper, and he gets a chapter and good cut scenes. Kaliyo was the main companion for the Agent and gets a whole chapter and a some very good emotions.... Vette? She was the Sith Warrior's main companion and not only is she a background character in this chapter, the starring role goes to Gault, who barely was a footnote in the Bounty Hunter story. I would have liked to see those roles reversed and some more conversations with Vette.....and how about a chance to re-kindle the romance????? Not even one flirt option? :(

I believe romance only rekindles if you went through the whole thing the first time around.

Edited by DarthThuzad

From what I gather, being able to rekindle only works if you flirted with the companion, married the companion, and talked children with the companion. If you didn't get a letter in your mail during chapter 3 or 4, you may not be able to (unless you were bugged).

For example: My trooper rekindled her romance with Jorgan because she actually married him and talked children with him.

The little dialogue box even says 'do you want to continue your relationship?'

If you didn't marry either Vette or Jaesa, then there's no 'relationship' for you to rekindle as far as the game knows.

This is my favorite chapter thus far.

- It was fun. Lots of humor, lots of jokes, and it was very light hearted.

- Maybe it was just me, but it feels like Vette's personality has changed a bit, and she wasn't nearly as annoying to me.

- Gault and Hylo are great. Although I wish we could have run with Hylo. Granted, I know why we couldn't, but still...

- The action was good.

- The new location was awesome!

- It wasn't a slog. Yes, there was plenty of fighting, but not nearly the slog that Chapter 10 or 12 are.

- Felt good to be doing something "normal" again, rather than being the Outlander, or having the spectre of Valkorian hanging over everything. It was a nice change of pace in terms of story.

- It was awesome to get Gault and Vette out of it all. They will be great fits for many of my characters.

Overall, I can't rate this chapter anything but a 10, because it's my favorite thus far.

Companion re-union: terrible 3/10

Story, mediocre: 6/10

Unique gameplay elements/bosses/mechanics: horrible 0/10

All in all, another disappointing chapter. At least we got to see some external companion activity throughout the chapter, which was nice. And the story concept with the old companions they brought back makes sense, as well. They just did another bad job with re-unions; rushed, too brief, no follow-up.

Another huge problem is that once again, the player is a spectator, like with Jorgan. At least with Kaliyo you get to impact what happens. Here it's another chapter where you are just along for the ride. I felt pretty redundant the whole time, as I did with Jorgan. Jorgan and this chapter are easily the worst of the lot, not that the other ones were anything special.

Edited by Duudde

Truly enjoy this chapter. Goult, Vette and plan C made my day)

...Y'all can sit there and try to justify it all you want, but the simple LOL YAY I KILLED THIS GUY/GIRL HEHEHEHEHEHE *rewatchrewatchrewatch* Is just cruel and unusual. If you want to kill every single companion until you have 1 left, so be it, but don't expect me to congratulate you on killing a companion just cause you RP'd it or didn't like that companion.

Eh, I still think there's a fine line between healthy entertainment and enjoyment of whichever content and unhealthy enjoyment/satisfaction. I know plenty folks here on the forums who I suspect will kill certain companions if given the chance and I don't judge them for it even if I myself wouldn't kill said companion. That's their business and their game, their 15 bucks but I also know they won't come back here and brag about it in a massive post while redoing the scene for the twentieth time just to get their kicks. Those who do.. when not in a RP setting (aka when not in the sense of 'my SI is a psycho DS Sith') ..yeah I'll be frowning and wondering just what the hell goes on in their minds that they get THAT over the top much gratification out of doing such a thing. For me that goes beyond entertainment. And arguing attachment/detachment doesn't apply here in my eyes.. because if there really is detachment then there's not much enjoyment to gain from repeating such a scene multiple times over either.

Thank you for this. You wrote exactly what I was thinking.

Companion re-union: terrible 3/10

Story, mediocre: 6/10

Unique gameplay elements/bosses/mechanics: horrible 0/10

All in all, another disappointing chapter. At least we got to see some external companion activity throughout the chapter, which was nice. And the story concept with the old companions they brought back makes sense, as well. They just did another bad job with re-unions; rushed, too brief, no follow-up.

Another huge problem is that once again, the player is a spectator, like with Jorgan. At least with Kaliyo you get to impact what happens. Here it's another chapter where you are just along for the ride. I felt pretty redundant the whole time, as I did with Jorgan. Jorgan and this chapter are easily the worst of the lot, not that the other ones were anything special.

I agree with the lack of follow up. The Vette encounter was so brief I even brought her to the Cantina after the mission hoping she had more to say to me (Sith Warrior), but alas, no....

From what I gather, being able to rekindle only works if you flirted with the companion, married the companion, and talked children with the companion. If you didn't get a letter in your mail during chapter 3 or 4, you may not be able to (unless you were bugged).

For example: My trooper rekindled her romance with Jorgan because she actually married him and talked children with him.

The little dialogue box even says 'do you want to continue your relationship?'

If you didn't marry either Vette or Jaesa, then there's no 'relationship' for you to rekindle as far as the game knows.

Yeah, but at least with Kaliyo they allowed flirts even if you're meeting her for the first time. It would have been nice if the game mechanics allowed for the possibility with Vette. The encounter seemed....lacking in substance compared to the other main companions who got chapters (I won't even go into poor Qyzen who only rated a side mission).

I like chapter 13 better than most of those before it, but for one glaring issue that it and all the rest have - they're too blinking short and story-lite.

Episodes like these should be weekly for how abbreviated and shallow they are, not monthly.

I like what content there is in them, but every one of these 'chapters' feels like they're not chapters at all; they're Cliff Notes. They're great ideas that, if expanded upon and explored more intimately, could be great.

As it is, it feels very rushed from plot point to plot point, and all we really see are the highlights. No frills, minimum substance, no intimacy (and I don't mean sexual intimacy).

I want to feel a connection to these characters, but it just isn't there.

In storytelling, there's a time and place to gloss things over, but if you peel the gloss away from these FE chapters, you're left with nothing at all. They're all gloss.

In a character driven story, part of the intention is to get the audience invested in the characters; who they are, what their motivations are, why they are the way they are and do the things they do.

Fallen Empire seems like it's on the perfect course to do that, but it never gets past the 'movie trailer' stage. Every chapter feels like it's a slightly expanded-upon trailer for something that could be awesome, but will never come, because the gloss is all there is.

Edited by Uruare

Yeah, but at least with Kaliyo they allowed flirts even if you're meeting her for the first time. It would have been nice if the game mechanics allowed for the possibility with Vette. The encounter seemed....lacking in substance compared to the other main companions who got chapters (I won't even go into poor Qyzen who only rated a side mission).

Qyzen was not a LI though.

Kind of a nobody besides that too, despite being the consulars first comp

Qyzen was not a LI though.

Kind of a nobody besides that too, despite being the consulars first comp

True, he wasn't a LI, but I felt he was the most interesting of the consular's companions with a cool back story if you played it out. But that's just my opinion :)

True, he wasn't a LI, but I felt he was the most interesting of the consular's companions with a cool back story if you played it out. But that's just my opinion :)

I really grew to appreciate Qyzen. At first, long ago, I was like: Wait...a...lizard?

Now he's my consular's go-to companion.

Well, the JC kinda gets shafted in the companion department, so that's not saying much...

Honestly I have no interest in the non-Basic speakers. Reading subtitles has always been annoying for me.

I like chapter 13 better than most of those before it, but for one glaring issue that it and all the rest have - they're too blinking short and story-lite.

Episodes like these should be weekly for how abbreviated and shallow they are, not monthly.

I like what content there is in them, but every one of these 'chapters' feels like they're not chapters at all; they're Cliff Notes. They're great ideas that, if expanded upon and explored more intimately, could be great.

As it is, it feels very rushed from plot point to plot point, and all we really see are the highlights. No frills, minimum substance, no intimacy (and I don't mean sexual intimacy).

In storytelling, there's a time and place to gloss things over, but if you peel the gloss away from these FE chapters, you're left with nothing at all. They're all gloss.

In a character driven story, part of the intention is to get the audience invested in the characters; who they are, what their motivations are, why they are the way they are and do the things they do.

Fallen Empire seems like it's on the perfect course to do that, but it never gets past the 'movie trailer' stage. Every chapter feels like it's a slightly expanded-upon trailer for something that could be awesome, but will never come, because the gloss is all there is.

+1 This is the biggest issue with the KOTFE chapters thus far.

Spot on. Its like its just filler content or that they took a whole chapter and broke it down into small bits. The writing is meh for all of chapters. I think they have interns or mediocre fan fiction writers do the work. They need to get Drew or some other actual star wars novel writer on staff for this stuff.

Played trough it with 3 toons (warrior , Inquisitor and Smuggler) .

-It's short short short short....feel shorter then the previous chapter (and probably due to the pace + less combat ) .

-Less combat is good , and pace is good but it is too short .

-I really consider chapter where it is all about bringing back old companions as filler Episodes . And especially in this one where..

At the end , our big score against Arcann turn out....he didnt care , so the whole Mission Impossible James Bond was for nothing...Thank for that . Sure we need the funds , but is it a crime to want to see him cry for his wallet being lost ?:rolleyes:

Also...

Can you please show more of the recruited Jedi/Sith ? this whole alliance feel more like a club for Merc and Thief guild .