Average of 20 FPS on a high-end computer

durathor

This has been a problem which has been going on for a while. No matter in which graphic setting I play, the game just give out an average of 20 FPS, 10 in warzones. My computer specs are: Intel® Core i5-3570K CPU @3.40 GHZ quad core, 16 GB DDR3 ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, running windows 10 64-bit. There is no way my FPS should be suffering like how it is. I'm hoping that there is a fix for it. I tried installing direct x 9 and using swtor unleashed with no luck.

your comp is good

i run a 8 core AMD FX 8350 4.0 GHZ

HIS radeon R9 270x iceQ turbo

8 gig ram DDR3

windows 10 64 bit

with no players ore a few on a planet i run 60 FPS

ad fleet so 30 FPS but thats normal

dunno what anti virus you use but some can eat allot of your comp when its running

btw after the new crimson driver update i run DX12 o.O its funny my card can't suport it

but SWTOR and other games runs very good ??

Edited by ShadessaWayland

This has been a problem which has been going on for a while. No matter in which graphic setting I play, the game just give out an average of 20 FPS, 10 in warzones. My computer specs are: Intel® Core i5-3570K CPU @3.40 GHZ quad core, 16 GB DDR3 ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, running windows 10 64-bit. There is no way my FPS should be suffering like how it is. I'm hoping that there is a fix for it. I tried installing direct x 9 and using swtor unleashed with no luck.

That's not normal.

I play with everything maxed (only shadow map resolution down to 1024) and everything runs fine (planets with a lot of vegetation impact FPS noticeably - only 50-60 FPS instead of 100 FPS).

I5-4570 @3.30 GHZ, 16GB RAM, GTX960, WIn 10 64bit.

Find it difficult to believe you can't do better than 20fps at any setting.

Graphics -> Advanced

Shader Complexity = Very Low

Shadow Quality = Off

Anti Aliasing = Off

The rest is irrelevant

If you're still screwed then check you're not doing something horrible like permanently forcing Anti-Aliasing through your graphics card settings by resetting it to default settings.

My computer specs are: Intel® Core i5-3570K CPU @3.40 GHZ quad core, 16 GB DDR3 ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, running windows 10 64-bit.

This is definitely not normal, but it would be hard to diagnose without getting hands-on.

Like the poster above, make sure you don't have some graphics setting, such as Shadows, that is set too high.

Make sure your CPU is being properly recognized by the system - that is, it's not running on an incorrect clock speed or voltage, and all cores are recognized. Depending upon how your system is setup, it could say it's an i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz on the startup screen.

The simplest thing to do is to reset your BIOS or enter the setup and "Load Defaults" to make sure things are detected properly.

(And if you've overclocked, go back to stock settings).

Edit, make sure your system is reasonably dust free inside, and that all cooling fans are working properly, so that you're not suffering from thermal throttling.

Btw, until last week, I was running the game on an i5-3570K (stock clock) and I got 60+ fps in most PvE area, with it going down to 30-40 in some crowded areas.

(I'm now running an i5-6600)

Edited by JediQuaker

The Shader and Shadows have some severe issues.

About 3 months ago, I was able to play the game just fine with everything on max. at 60 fps. Now, if I turn shadows to high I get 17 fps in the same areas where I got 60 fps before(I have my fps capped at 60 fps).

So something went wrong between now and then, and it is not my own computer, as it is running on the same system as back then.

while I agree your framrate should be higher, your PC is mid-range, nowhere near high-end.

Make sure Vsync is disabled. That alone will kill your frame rate.
not sure if serious

vsync's purpose is to limit fps to your refresh rate to prevent tearing.

so unless you're suggesting his monitor is 20hz?

People refuse to believe it is the ENGINE of swtor.

This HERO ENGINE is like a flat head V8 engine with a 2 barrel barrel carb...well the flat head is actually pretty damn cool the HERO engine isnt shouldnt compare it to that engine...

Lets say a flat head straight 6 with a single barrel carburetor is the HERO ENGINE.

Now while in its day both are under powered severely and will get you from point a to b but it will be a struggle and mileage ( FPS in gaming ) will be low.

Now once EA acquired the HERO engine ( flat head straight 6 ) they started to add somethings to make more power ( rebuild engines ) While the rebuilding worked some in both engines it also caused issues.

The engines lost performance at the high end for better performance at the low end...but that also caused issues

So once again both engines go through some modifications....now some better high end results at the cost of the medium range....

So what results is peoples systems working their *** off or just not working at all.

Well simply put you cant take a **** engine and try to get performance out of it NO matter what you do it just wont work

The only way to make the crappy engines run better is to BUILD yourself a better one and OVER power the crappy engines so much that even their lame performance cant slow your machine down

There is NO reason the machine mentioned here cant run a AAA engine...err we got a D- at best one.

The engine just doesnt work...if we had the frostbite engine OMG ....sigh

I built a 2,000 machine a couple of months ago and not even swtors lame engine can make it stutter

I run always 80+ FPS even on a crowded fleet and in PVP and doing OPS...i have videos of it.

SADLY your guys computers are FINE you can play far superior games with far better engines and have NO ISSUES....it isnt your system...

BTW ping the servers and you will get a near constant 20% packet loss EAs side...that is not counting getting

there

I had issues also and my cable provider checked out where I was connecting to and there was a HUGE packet drop at EAs end...

So ping the servers the problems start right at our connection to EAs servers

It has always been like that all the way back to EARTH AND BEYOND which I swear it is still the same server systems back in 2002-2004

Or maybe i dont know **** which seems to be 100% of the time...it is amazing i can even breath....

LEN

2017 the lights go out

Check CPU and GPU temperatures.

Then check every power, integrated graphics, and graphics card setting.

Also check for programs running in the background (antivirus for example, realtime scanning is a frequent offender), for Win 10 update settings (if set to use peer-to-peer it can use 95% or more of disk read/write capacity for DAYS if you have a traditional HD), and for anything else in task manager that's hogging memory or disk resources.

Also search the forums for performance issues, low FPS, and similar topics.

You should be getting probably 35-50 fps at least, based on your CPU. In low stress areas you should probably be limited by your screen refresh rate. Your GPU is massive overkill for SWTOR.

The thing about SWTOR is that it's sort of like an IT monitoring tool, it will find every performance bottleneck on your computer and force you to solve every single one in order to get good framerates.

Get everything in order though, and it should be fine even at fairly high graphics settings.

Well in my world this is not a high-end computer. The graphics card is one that I would call mid range, especially because it has just 128 kb/s on the memory bandwidth. It's not a bad card but the GTX970 is a lot better. One thing that matters also is whether you have a standard HD or an SSD.

Do keep in mind though this game has a poor engine and poor optimization thereof, so there are a lot of issues on the game side of it and you can't fix that on your side. Personally I have an i7, 16GB of RAM, the GTX970 and an SSD hard drive and that is working pretty well but it's still a poorly optimized game that suffers in group content when it comes to fps.

The thing about SWTOR is that it's sort of like an IT monitoring tool, it will find every performance bottleneck on your computer and force you to solve every single one in order to get good framerates.

That made me laugh but you have a point.

People refuse to believe it is the ENGINE of swtor.t
Whether or not SWTOR's engine is good, has no bearing on the question. The question is, what sort of CPU power does it take to run this game as it is.

The OP should be getting better fps with his setup.

Edited by JediQuaker

Whether or not SWTOR's engine is good, has no bearing on the question. The question is, what sort of CPU power does it take to run this game as it is.

The OP should be getting better fps with his setup.

Erm, you do realise that it's not just about the CPU and that if a game is coded poorly on a shaky foundation (engine) it most definitely will have an effect on how well the game runs?

Check power options is still on High Performance

Check temps as mentioned by others

Also try either the Nvidia Hotfix Driver 364.96 (Link) there has been a large number of reports of FPS drops on systems across all games over the last few driver releases (Link) the hotfix has addressed some of these issues as mentioned in the link.

Other alternative is to try a driver version at least 3 or 4 releases prior to when this started.

I still get 100 fps open world on Win 10 with GTX970

Edited by OwenBrooks

BTW ping the servers and you will get a near constant 20% packet loss EAs side...that is not counting getting

there

I'd be interested in looking at the source of your packet loss if this is consistently seen, make a post at EA ANSWERS HQ and use say http://www.pingplotter.com to the servers , save the graph as a jpg and insert it into the thread there, I will see it.

I have crap routing from Australia but nil packet loss, luckily my ping to the servers drops to 145ms in-game using WTfast, Telstra routing is crap giving near 400ms left to run their default path.

Ping statistics for 159.153.68.252:

Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 384ms, Maximum = 426ms, Average = 386ms

Make sure Vsync is disabled. That alone will kill your frame rate.

*********** christ... I disabled it, put fullscreen mode back on and I am back to 100 fps... DAMNIT.

I love you!

[Disregard this, was not the problem, post on next page outlines the problem I am having]

Edited by Kelleth

I have 17-4790K 4GHz

GTX 970

16 GB DDR3 (which doesn't factor in)

Windows 7 (no one should ever get windows 10)

I get 60+ FPS on Ultra setting. Even with FRAPS running.

Maybe Windows 10 is screwing things up as usual? But seriously, does your monitor have its own settings? Like could the monitor's setting limit the frame rate? Just throwing stuff out there.

Edited by Dayshadow

Okay, this is strange, I did get my game back up to 100 fps, but today, it is back down to low fps... This is getting more and more strange.

[EDIT]

Even stranger... I put it back to fullscreen windowed mode, disabled the shadows, closed the game down, reopened it, put it back to fullscreen mode, turned shadows back on, nothing happened... I then turned AA from medium to high and THEN it went back to 100 fps... What the...?!

[EDIT 2]Restarting the game resets the fps back to crap...

[EDIT 3] Minimizing and maximizing turned the fps back up to 100... I am so confused...

[EDIT 4] Finishing conversations, quick travel and loading screens somehow at times also resets the fps back to crap. Minimizing and maximizing fixes it(For me)

[EDIT 5] Opening the collections menu the first time after game start-up will also return the fps to crap. Minimizing and maximizing fixes it(For me)

[EDIT 6] It seems that the entire game engine has to reload(My screen flickers when I minimize and maximize) in order for the fps to return to normal.

[EDIT 7] Submitted a bug report on this entire thing, the rest of you with problems should too.

[EDIT 8] I run windows 8 btw, and I already tried compatability mode, it just sets the frames locked into their broken state.

Edited by Kelleth

To the op....I would check the driver first and foremost! Some people do not realize when windows auto installs a device, it uses a generic driver that does not do well in video games! I have also seen certain .netframework updates cause this game to do all sorts of bs. GPU temp can lower fps also.