The First Jedi Temple Discussion

Swingkittie

This game indicates the first Jedi temple is on Coruscant through the Counselor's story line. I believe in one of the Star Wars prequels it also mentions this. According to Han Solo in Force Awakens, Luke is searching for the first Jedi Temple. Why would he need to search for it when all he has to do is fly to Coruscant? Is he unable to do anything without R2D2 navigating? Is he that bad of a Jedi to know nothing about their history? I figure these questions about what Luke has been doing all these years will be answered in the next movie, but this was one of the lines from Force Awakens that bugged me.

Even in this game, the EU, the first Jedi temple wasn't on Coruscant. Not sure what you're remembering, but the temple on Coruscant was just the main temple, not the first. Tython was always the first.

This doesn't apply to the new canon. Ahch-To is where the first temple was, not Tython. Tython doesn't even exist in the new canon.

Even in this game, the EU, the first Jedi temple wasn't on Coruscant. Not sure what you're remembering, but the temple on Coruscant was just the main temple, not the first. Tython was always the first.

This doesn't apply to the new canon. Ahch-To is where the first temple was, not Tython. Tython doesn't even exist in the new canon.

Then explain this to me:

When you are about to leave Tython, Master Syo Bakaran says: "We are sending Yuon to Coruscant. Our researchers there are recovering artifacts from the first Jedi Temple . They may have something to cure Yuon".

You can watch the video if you don't believe me. He says it at 4:21.

the one on courscant was never the first even in the EU

Not sure that is correct:

http://www.starwars.com/news/hidden-knowledge-5-fascinating-facts-about-the-jedi-temple

Coruscant was the Jedi home world at one time. The Temple was headquartered there for thousands of years. When Order 66 went out the temple was attacked and the Imperial forces took control of it. This is according to the above link.

Edited by Swingkittie

Then explain this to me:

When you are about to leave Tython, Master Syo Bakaran says: "We are sending Yuon to Coruscant. Our researchers there are recovering artifacts from the first Jedi Temple . They may have something to cure Yuon".

That is a fairly strange line. I suppose it's a matter of his perspective. Even though the first temple was on Tython, the temple that exists now they built there when they returned. And they had only just returned, so for him he still thinks of the temple on Coruscant as being "first" even though it came after. Here's some codex entries confirming that Tython was indeed first:

The Sacking of Coruscant was arguably the greatest military win in the history of the Sith Empire. Not only did it force the Galactic Republic to desperately accept unfavorable terms in ending the Great War; it also allowed for the utter destruction of the Jedi Temple. While it was hoped that this act would crush the Jedi Order’s resolve, the relatively recent rediscovery of the Order’s homeworld of Tython presented an opportunity for the Jedi to relocate their Temple there. — The Jedi Temple on Tython

The birthplace of the Jedi Order was lost for many thousands of years when known hyperspace lanes leading to the region collapsed–a fate that has befallen many worlds in the unstable heart of the galaxy known as the Deep Core. — Tython

Now, you could argue that the homeworld/birthplace and the first temple need not necessarily be the same thing, and that the Je'daii temple doesn't count as a Jedi temple. But in that case, Ossus would be the first.

Edited by Senrie

Not sure that is correct:

http://www.starwars.com/news/hidden-knowledge-5-fascinating-facts-about-the-jedi-temple

Coruscant was the Jedi home world at one time. The Temple was headquartered there for thousands of years. When Order 66 went out the temple was attacked and the Imperial forces took control of it. This is according to the above link.

That article you link is based on canon universe, not legends (old EU)

The Jedi (in one form or another) was on Tython for around 30-40,000 years before the events of TOR.

The discovery of hyperspace travel by the humans of Coruscant didn't happen until around 20,000 years before the events of TOR, with the formation of the Republic

EDIT: actually reading part of that article points out even there that it was never their homeworld.

"When the Jedi Order came to Coruscant..."

Edited by MadDutchman

Now I don't marinate in this stuff but I will propose that the 1st Jedi temple was on Ossus. It is referenced in the article above and in SWTOR encyclopedia. (yeah I bought one for my daughter, its pretty cool) Also if you go to Galactic History section...

http://www.swtor.com/holonet/galactic-history

BTC 22,130

The Jedi Order is Established

Peace-minded scholars and monks who survived the explosive force war on Tython relocated and established the Jedi Order.

So I assume while Tython was the "home" and the framework for the order was established there, the temple was on Ossus.

Then explain this to me:

He was talking about the First ever temple on Courscant, not the first temple ever. With the reconstruction they were building a new temple on Courscant, the one we know from episodes 1-3.

Many Force studying groups gathered on Tython, founding the Je'daii Order there. They used the Tho Yors that brought them together as their first temples. THOSE WERE JE'DAII TEMPLES, NOT JEDI TEMPLES.

After fighting the Rakata, then having a big schism, the victorious LS wielders exiled the Dark Jedi, who left for eventually Korriban. But LS je'daii reorganized themselves as the Jedi Order and left Tython. The Jedi Order didn't build a temple on Tython.

They arrived on Ossus. They built the Jedi Academy there. They built a Jedi Stronghold there. They fought Exar Kun there. Ossus got devastated. JEDI NEVER BUILT A TEMPLE ON OSSUS.

Then the Republic was founded, and the Jedi agreed with their ideals, so they swore an oath to protect them, and decided to move to Coruscant, where they built their first temple. THIS WAS THE FIRST TEMPLE THE JEDI BUILT.

Hope this helps!

They arrived on Ossus. They built the Jedi Academy there. They built a Jedi Stronghold there. They fought Exar Kun there. Ossus got devastated. JEDI NEVER BUILT A TEMPLE ON OSSUS.

Then the Republic was founded, and the Jedi agreed with their ideals, so they swore an oath to protect them, and decided to move to Coruscant, where they built their first temple. THIS WAS THE FIRST TEMPLE THE JEDI BUILT.

Saying that their academy on Ossus wasn't a temple is really splitting hairs. And no, they didn't relocate to Coruscant until far after joining the Republic. They stayed on Ossus for over twenty thousand years before constructing a temple on Coruscant, and even then didn't establish their headquarters there until Ossus was destroyed.

If you have to see the word "temple", even though the word has been used near interchangeably with academy, then Coruscant still wouldn't be the first. The temple on Ilum existed almost as long as Ossus did.

Edited by Senrie

There is also the question whether building temples was the first thing on their minds when the predecessor organizations that later formed the Jedi Order first took shape.

I am not exactly firm in lore, but it seems plausible that there was more than root to the Jedi Order, which may have been as different as stoic philosophers and Buddhistic monks, and they were more concerned with finding out anything about this funny Force-thing and how it ties in with all the other stuff they knew about nature and the universe.

Maybe actually building temples is something they started only after their practices and philosphies were sufficiently refined and they had a tradition to look back on.

Edited by Rabenschwinge