Better than cross server?

I highly doubt anyone here has any news on this since we are not SWTOR Devs but I was thinking about this today. Does anyone still have hope for this ?, Is it something we want anymore? Since I transferred my 2 pilots from TEH to Harb I can fly whenever I'm on, I don't feel the pain of queue times as much. But your results may vary depending on server.

Podcast recalling quote from Bruce McLean from 10.2014 @ 37:52 mark

http://gaddockgaming.com/2014/10/11/episode-57-nyc-cantina-qa-spoilers/

this is "info" from Eric Musco on 12.2014

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7879116&postcount=1

Edited by davidrodriguezjr

If you've kept up with 4.3 patch notes, the PvE / PvP instance selection is almost certainly what they were foreshadowing in those posts.

You may have also noticed that the server selection screen no longer gives information about server load or server type.

In theory, in the absence of information, if there were a large influx of new and uninformed players (not sure where they'd come from), server choice would be more or less random (or perhaps by coolest sounding name). Not sure if they're planning on doing the "recommended server" for new accounts that some other games have done. It's possible that this is supposed to encourage depopulated servers to experience population growth.

On the whole I think that [partially] "addressing issues" is the part of the Dev post that you should be focusing on, not the offhand hypothetical comment.

TLDR version: If Bioware attracts more people to SWTOR, that's the best we should expect on their end in terms of helping GSF queues. Anything more, we need to do ourselves by way of community events, teaching, etc.

My guess is they're preparing for a server merge or a system where your server selection comes after the character selection whe you log in. A system where you chose the charakter you want to play and then chose the server on which you want to play for the session. Maybe if there is a server merge, there will be different instances on the new (EU) megaserver like "german, pvp" or "french, rp" with separated chats so the RPers aren't disturbed by others but all players can queue for the same instances/pvp.

My guess is they're preparing for a server merge or a system where your server selection comes after the character selection whe you log in. A system where you chose the charakter you want to play and then chose the server on which you want to play for the session. Maybe if there is a server merge, there will be different instances on the new (EU) megaserver like "german, pvp" or "french, rp" with separated chats so the RPers aren't disturbed by others but all players can queue for the same instances/pvp.

Agreed. The new PvE/PvP focus option, increased character name size, & being able to have a [space] in character names all seem like the first solid steps towards some form of megaserver implementation - whether or not Musco wants to deny and then, I expect, later use some other term for it in order that the denial will technically not have been a lie. I'm pragmatic though, you can call it whatever you want - if it gets us back to the early GSF days of constant quick Q pops, I'm all for it. :D

A merged-megaserver is a nice idea, but I don't think any hamster is going to be able to handle the amount of traffic that's going to bring. Perhaps killing off the different pve, pvp and rp servers, making one of each is a better option. Not sure how that would effect the different EU servers though since they are language based as well.

A merged-megaserver is a nice idea, but I don't think any hamster is going to be able to handle the amount of traffic that's going to bring. Perhaps killing off the different pve, pvp and rp servers, making one of each is a better option. Not sure how that would effect the different EU servers though since they are language based as well.

I just wanted to clarify a bit. I'm not in any way talking about a merger of servers such as has happened in the past (such as those of us originally on Hanharr I think it was, were moved to JC). I am referencing the possibility of implementing a true mega-server type structure, such as does not presently exist in SWTOR. Sure an ordinary merger of 2 or more servers into 1, in which no hardware is actually changed will lead to performance issues, but that is not the situation that would be happening in the implementation of a mega-server system.

I could go into a lengthy explanation of how currently, for instance, Jedi Covenant (or Harbinger or whatever) is not a single server machine but instead a whole host of machines that are interconnected & working in tandem, but I don't think this thread really needs that at this point.

I will say though that if done right, or at least pretty close to right, I would be hugely in favor of megaservers, as it would imho fix Q issues, and in the case of GSF, actually give matchmaker a big enough pool to try to work properly.

Later folks.

If you've kept up with 4.3 patch notes, the PvE / PvP instance selection is almost certainly what they were foreshadowing in those posts.

Maybe also the thing where you can group cross faction in some fashion? I think yours is the best guess. Since the "better than cross server" thing, we've seen:

> Serious leveling buffs, including the ability to skip much of the early game for coins

> Some cross faction stuff I don't totally understand

> PvE / PvP as instances

None of these are better than cross server, but all but the first are generally unexpected in a wowlike, and are not just copying a wow feature or FF14 feature.

TLDR version: If Bioware attracts more people to SWTOR, that's the best we should expect on their end in terms of helping GSF queues. Anything more, we need to do ourselves by way of community events, teaching, etc.

Cross faction GSF would have a pretty big impact on GSF, but probably require some serious backend changes. My number one wish for GSF is strike fighter buffs. Under that is crew member fixes that allow for some interaction with the meta, followed by some component tweaks, followed by new components. Each of these would require progressively more work. Also nice would be TDM Denon, followed by a new map.

As we've seen though, they just aren't on task for GSF updates.

Side rant: I really hate that I can't run this game on Linux. Out of everything I play, this is the only one I can't give up or trivially run. Frustrating to have to boot to Windows for this. While WINE works for SWTOR to some degree, no one has been able to run GSF in it yet. That will obviously end up being fixed on WINE's side at some point, probably as part of some unrelated development.

Edited by Verain