Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

The new Dashade is "official"

IanArgent

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it has more to do with Khem's body than anything else, Khem/Zash are bound to the SI, Khem is probably dead and if he isn't he would never join any alliance against Arcann, i mean he would either see Arcann as lunch or as not quite Tulak but evil enough and he'd join him.

Khem is not following the SI because he wants to, he has no choice, and if he can survive the SI being kinda dead for 5 years then he has no reason to come back.

I think it has more to do with Khem's body than anything else, Khem/Zash are bound to the SI, Khem is probably dead and if he isn't he would never join any alliance against Arcann, i mean he would either see Arcann as lunch or as not quite Tulak but evil enough and he'd join him.

Khem is not following the SI because he wants to, he has no choice, and if he can survive the SI being kinda dead for 5 years then he has no reason to come back.

Whether Khem feels any actual loyalty to the SI depends on which choices you make along the way. Despite the sloppy work that was done with the combat commentary (I can't take Khem's renewed threats to eat my character seriously while all the Agent comps have Kaliyo's voice in combat), the actual conversations can show something else. Not exactly friends, no, but no longer Khem thinking of the SI as a weak snack that he's waiting to devour.

You said that you don't tell people to not play the Imp agent in response to me, implying that I said you did. Did I?

No, I read your statement as saying that because you hate the SI story, no one should play an SI. So, in counterpoint, I said that I hate the IA story but don't tell people not to play the IA.

No, I read your statement as saying that because you hate the SI story, no one should play an SI. So, in counterpoint, I said that I hate the IA story but don't tell people not to play the IA.

No, I was saying that it's not worth playing through. Plus, I take any chance to rage over the SI story,

Khem starts to, depending on your choices, show a certain sense of loyalty towards the SI. Especially if you choose to free him from Zash. There's just a lot to his character and his background in the lore thus far that would make him an unlikely ally for say a Smuggler.

Now they could reunite the SI with their original Khem while anyone non-SI gets a default version of Khem with a little side dialog that explains his former Master restored him to his true self (to acknowledge the Zash issue as part of his history) but that also means going forth they'd have to provide 2 different sets of dialog representing the two different Khems for each scenario/conversation which amounts to extra work BW may not be willing to invest in. Same goes for Jaesa. The SW could be reunited with their own version of Jaesa while non-SW will decide her alignment based on DS/LS choices made while recruiting her. She'd not require an additional VA but she would need additional writing as well, at least more than every other straight forward 1 identity 1 alignment companion. I'm guessing BW's taking the easy way out on that one which is.. disappointing.

Now is there any chance, any chance at all that this Akgam whatever thing isn't actually Khem? That somewhere along those 5 years he did something, engaged in a ritual or whichever you can think of at all that somehow transformed him or whatnot?

Khem starts to, depending on your choices, show a certain sense of loyalty towards the SI. Especially if you choose to free him from Zash. There's just a lot to his character and his background in the lore thus far that would make him an unlikely ally for say a Smuggler.

Now they could reunite the SI with their original Khem while anyone non-SI gets a default version of Khem with a little side dialog that explains his former Master restored him to his true self (to acknowledge the Zash issue as part of his history) but that also means going forth they'd have to provide 2 different sets of dialog representing the two different Khems for each scenario/conversation which amounts to extra work BW may not be willing to invest in. Same goes for Jaesa. The SW could be reunited with their own version of Jaesa while non-SW will decide her alignment based on DS/LS choices made while recruiting her. She'd not require an additional VA but she would need additional writing as well, at least more than every other straight forward 1 identity 1 alignment companion. I'm guessing BW's taking the easy way out on that one which is.. disappointing.

Now is there any chance, any chance at all that this Akgam whatever thing isn't actually Khem? That somewhere along those 5 years he did something, engaged in a ritual or whichever you can think of at all that somehow transformed him or whatnot?

He's an alliance alert; you get a very small (half-voiced, though the voice is on the comp side) quest chain and then they use the generic chatter from that point on.

There are some semi-legitimate reasons why Khem wouldn't be around in the time-frame of KotFE (how does he survive 5 years separated from the SI), but they ought to have said something about that, even if it's just an in-game email from one of the other SI comps (even just saying that Khem disappeared looking for a ritual to break the link).

Jaesa is a love interest, they will already have to write additional lines, eventually. Assuming they don't get rid of her aswell, they'll have to go for a vanilla dark side personality for non-warriors and for a light/dark side personality for warriors which gets triggered by specific flags later in the story.

Jaesa is a love interest, they will already have to write additional lines, eventually. Assuming they don't get rid of her aswell, they'll have to go for a vanilla dark side personality for non-warriors and for a light/dark side personality for warriors which gets triggered by specific flags later in the story.

I think with Jeasa they'll have her become grey. She'll be included because she IS a LI, but to avoid overriding previous choices, but make it easier to put her in, they'll probably just give her a new personality that she falls in even if she's light or dark. Something she comes to without you there to manipulate her.

In the new chapter... we ( inquisitors ) should get something like

MAIL

Dark Council by majority of votes ( sorry for not inviting you ) have decided that Darth Imperius... Nox... or Occlus - sorry I dont remember your name... is going to be renamed into Darth Outlander... since everyone calls you that anyway...

Cya

Emperess Acina

Edited by PatrykJesionek

I think with Jeasa they'll have her become grey. She'll be included because she IS a LI, but to avoid overriding previous choices, but make it easier to put her in, they'll probably just give her a new personality that she falls in even if she's light or dark. Something she comes to without you there to manipulate her.

You can't override a choice that you didn't make. Troopers, smugglers, agents, knights, consulars and even warriors have no idea whatsoever of who Khem Val was and the 6/7 of them never even heard or know what a "Dashade" is. At this point in story, the only class outside the inquisitor who may know anything at all about that specie are warriors, but still, to them a Dashade in general is just another alien, another specie. A Dashade in particular like Khem Val doesn't mean anything to them, nor does the fact that it was bound to one of the most powerful Sith ever lived and later bound to another Sith (The inquisitor).

So it makes perfect sense to replace it entirely instead of bothering to explain unecessary stuff to classes that have nothing to do with strange rituals and flesh-eating monsters. It's also a simple alliance alert and not part of any chapter story, which means that outside of 4-5 lines of speech that Dashade will become permanently silent and won't have any impact, or presence, into the story. In fact, it's not a coincidence that so far the only companions whom are coming back in the main chapters (Jorgan, Kaliyo, etc) are love interests with the only exception of being Scorpio while all the rest are relegated to alliance alerts (Blizz, Yunn, etc). And it's also not a coincidence that so far the only alliance alert companion mentioned in a main chapter is Lokin (Exclusive line for agents if they recruited him thanks to the Kaliyo's link). That's the trend they have adopted so far and that's the trend they will keep following for the time being.

For Jaesa, I go by memory because my last warrior playthrough was few months ago, but at the end of vanilla chapter 1,

she becomes the warrior's apprentice; a fallen Jedi who's struggling with finding her own path after witnessing her former Jedi Master first going insane and then getting killed. All in front of her.

It's plausible that for all 7 classes they can simply say "She's a former Jedi, then became the apprencite of one of the most powerful Sith of our time" while for warriors they can add an extra flag to the love interest one and trigger the 4 possible combinations at the same time (Light side/romanced, dark side/romanced, light side/non romanced, dark side/non romanced), assuming you can keep her neutral and still decide to romance/non romance her, therefore it's 6, but whatever.

Assuming Season 2 will take place somewhere else other than Zakuul (There are only that many excuses the story can find to send you back to the same planet/city during 2 seasons of 32 chapters each aside from the occasional detour somewhere else), it wouldn't be impossible to explain her presence on a planet X taking part in the events Y during the timeine Z for either of her 4/6 variants.

Edited by JeKoCZ

Jaesa and Khem are different, LS/DS Jaesa are different companions as far as the game is concerned, so if they bring her back they will have to decide what triggers which one you get.

I don't know if the flags are global, but if they are, your alignment should determine which Jaesa you get, with LS being the default.

My only issue with them changing Khem, is that the others that have returned so far.

From other classes, they return with the influence that class had with it.

Khem being the first SI get, generally ends up having high influence due to having him all the way till tattoine.

So switching out to a different Khem, possibly means he will return at 1 influence.

I "hope" the new Khem returns with the influence he had, since he was my first to cap

Also what happens if you had used the terminal to return comps, will it simply switch to the new one? Which means those using terminal to bring back the original for crew skills, or SF etc could be left having to re level the new de shade

My only issue with them changing Khem, is that the others that have returned so far.

From other classes, they return with the influence that class had with it.

Khem being the first SI get, generally ends up having high influence due to having him all the way till tattoine.

So switching out to a different Khem, possibly means he will return at 1 influence.

I "hope" the new Khem returns with the influence he had, since he was my first to cap

Also what happens if you had used the terminal to return comps, will it simply switch to the new one? Which means those using terminal to bring back the original for crew skills, or SF etc could be left having to re level the new de shade

The game will think of the 2 Dashade as completely separate beings. Therefore you will still be able to summon Khem from the companion terminal and have it with the influence you last left it with. The new one will most likely come with influence lv10 if it includes some specific steps to do in order to recruit it.

Edited by JeKoCZ

The game will think of the 2 Dashade as completely separate beings. Therefore you will still be able to summon Khem from the companion terminal and have it with the influence you last left it with. The new one will most likely come with influence lv10 if it includes some specific steps to do in order to recruit it.

I hope that is true, however, given that previewing customizations/equipment on Khem even now brings up the new guy's name on the window, I wouldn't be so sure that the game is treating them as distinct "completely separate brings".

Edited by DarthDymond

Other than the fact it is a Dashade the only person who sees Khem's name is the si who has him summoned.

His name is not displayed to other players like the other companions are. Not sure if that is going to mean anything when the patch launches or not

I hope that is true, however, given that previewing customizations/equipment on Khem even now brings up the new guy's name on the window, I wouldn't be so sure that the game is treating them as distinct "completely separate brings".

I don't see why they wouldn't. They should be aware of the players that may a companion with influence lv50 therefore they shouldn't remove the possibility to keep summoning it from the terminal.

The fact that the ui shows the new name on the old companion is probably a temporary problem. Or something like that. It's the same 3D model with a possibly different base texture afterall, just like Ashara and all her clones who have literally the same head/body model and only occasionally change the color pattern.

Will the same thing happen to Jaesa? I mean we got light and dark version of her and the personality was totally different. I would like my SI to take dark Jaesa.

Khem uses his own alien speak. It hardly requires new voice work to get him back into the game. If the player chose Zash, and you don't want that VA to make some money for an afternoon's work, have Khem manage to reassert himself somehow in the five year separation. There is no good reason that BW couldn't have the SI be able to recruit Khem, while all other classes recruit the new Deshade. Give the new guy a different skin and off we go.

Taking him away from the SI only to introduce another Deshade makes zero sense. We need a Deshade now? That's what they're saying if they're going through the trouble of creating this character to replace Khem. Come on. If he can't come back, then fine, don't bring him back and certainly don't introduce Random Deshade no one gives two ***** about.

If Blizz or Bowdaar couldn't be brought back, would everyone be on board to introduce Skippy the Jawa and Growlduur the Wookiee to replace them? Answer: of course not. It's bad enough we have fifty different new companions with the barest development and zero customization. People want their old companions back because they've played for years with them and they have actual personalities and histories with the PCs.

It's like tabletop rpging and having a longtime player's character eat it because they lost their character sheet or botched some stupid encounter and they have to roll up someone new to suddenly fill the void in the party in the middle of a campaign.

Edited by Nothing_Shines

It's a bit easier for her, since she is two separate companions. They could keep intact the flag for the Warrior, and give everyone else the "canonical" version (which is probably Dark Side). Bet she comes as an alliance alert, if they do that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.