Unable to RE Operation Crystals anymore off the gtn?

Engeopathichero

I tried doing this on a new artifice character today, and it said there was no research available no matter what I did to the crystal. Before I remember binding the crystal and equiping the lightsaber in order to make it RE'able. Then it had a chance of learning the schematic. Seems that this is no longer the case? Haven't seen any announcements that this would change, so I'm not sure if this is a bug or intended.

Tried buying a black-blue and black-red eviscerating crystal off the gtn and neither worked. Went through 2 each trying to see if it would work at all, so far nothing.

Anyone else tried to do this? Is it still possible and it just says there is no research available? Or is it no longer possible due to bug or intention? Any info would be nice, would really like to craft these 2 crystals due to stat changes. I have the hawkeye and indestructible of both crystals on another character. All 4 crystals were bought off the gtn and RE'd to get the schematic. Just would like the eviscerating since it seems crit is the way to go these days.

I tried doing this on a new artifice character today, and it said there was no research available no matter what I did to the crystal. Before I remember binding the crystal and equiping the lightsaber in order to make it RE'able. Then it had a chance of learning the schematic. Seems that this is no longer the case? Haven't seen any announcements that this would change, so I'm not sure if this is a bug or intended.

Tried buying a black-blue and black-red eviscerating crystal off the gtn and neither worked. Went through 2 each trying to see if it would work at all, so far nothing.

Anyone else tried to do this? Is it still possible and it just says there is no research available? Or is it no longer possible due to bug or intention? Any info would be nice, would really like to craft these 2 crystals due to stat changes. I have the hawkeye and indestructible of both crystals on another character. All 4 crystals were bought off the gtn and RE'd to get the schematic. Just would like the eviscerating since it seems crit is the way to go these days.

Was it a crafted crystal or a cartel market item? If so, those are not re-able (and if something says there is no research available, you shouldn't even bother trying to re them).

Edited by LordTurin

No they are not cartel market. The fact that I was able to RE them in the first place kinda gave that away I thought.... And the fact that the black-blue is operation only..... So yes they are crafted and sold on the gtn.

Items crafted by other people are not re-able by others. When we were able to re that stuff before it was more of an exploit than anything, so I'm not surprised if they changed it (and that they didn't announce that change if they did).

Items crafted by other people are not re-able by others. When we were able to re that stuff before it was more of an exploit than anything, so I'm not surprised if they changed it (and that they didn't announce that change if they did).

There were RE'able if you bound it first. I suspect it was an exploit and if it's no longer doable, that's why.

When we were able to re that stuff before it was more of an exploit than anything.

It was unintended, but acknowledged in 2012 as neither an exploit, nor against the rules:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5296169#edit5296169

Of course, that same post mentioned they may removed the ability to do so in the future. Perhaps that future has now arrived. :D

It was unintended, but acknowledged in 2012 as neither an exploit, nor against the rules:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5296169#edit5296169

Of course, that same post mentioned they may removed the ability to do so in the future. Perhaps that future has now arrived. :D

In the 4.0 patch notes there was a mention of ops gear no longer being able to be RE'd, but I wasn't sure if that included crystals or not (hence my post). Thought that just meant the random drops. Hopefully we can get some clarification.

And thank you for confirming it was not an exploit, I never thought it was and was really confused why people thought it was.

A note to the devs:

If there isn't a way to RE them anymore, is there any chance we might see some cartel market ones of the black-blue variety? I know there is a black-red striated crystal, and the black purple that was a sub reward (and I believe black orange is available somewhere as well?). Honestly the black-blue was my favorite out of all of them, which is why I wanted to RE it in the first place. Hope the ability to get one (especially as CM to be unlocked in collections) will come out, would be a nice feature I think. Can't be the only one who wants that.

Apologies for using the term exploit, that was definitely not the correct usage of what it was. Unintended effect would have been a better term (after all, you can't re something, and then bind it and now you can re it? Seems like just poor coding to me lol). But anyway, I was confused by that line as well, maybe that's what they meant (since I'm pretty sure I've re'd an implant from an operation since then).

• 5 months later...
In the 4.0 patch notes there was a mention of ops gear no longer being able to be RE'd, but I wasn't sure if that included crystals or not (hence my post).

"All Modifications acquired from Operations can be Reverse Engineered for their Schematics."

"Operation Gear can no longer be Reverse Engineered."

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/10202015/game-update-4.0-knights-fallen-empire-early-access

Crystals are modifications.