Server Merge - For the love of Jar-Jar let us move US to EU. Vice Versa.

LordBritain

BW / EA whatever you have have planned, please let people move from one region to another. Many of us have toons that are mothballed and taking up space on your servers that we could consolidate and move.

I have 14 in the USA that I could squeeze down and move to Europe. I'd even delete toons in Europe to allow the move. Europe has recently changed several data laws regarding privacy that should help.

Please, pretty please can it be done. Heck, I'd even buy a Hypercrate if it would help:eek::D

LB.

They have said that they want to allow this, but "business reasons" prevent it.

In other words, EU rules are keeping it from happening and you should have no expectation of it ever happening during the lifetime of the game so you should plan accordingly.

BW / EA whatever you have have planned, please let people move from one region to another. Many of us have toons that are mothballed and taking up space on your servers that we could consolidate and move.

I have 14 in the USA that I could squeeze down and move to Europe. I'd even delete toons in Europe to allow the move. Europe has recently changed several data laws regarding privacy that should help.

Please, pretty please can it be done. Heck, I'd even buy a Hypercrate if it would help:eek::D

LB.

want it so bad? get EU government to change their laws on digital information and BW/EA will gladly allow it.

I have 14 in the USA that I could squeeze down and move to Europe.

LB.

A guy called Lord Britain playing on US servers. There's a joke for you

europe has recently changed several data laws regarding privacy that should help.
want it so bad? Get eu government to change their laws on digital information and bw/ea will gladly allow it.

or get the us to adopt some real data privacy laws...

or stop citing those laws as an excuse, Blizzard and World of Warcraft comply with both systems of laws and offer cross-region transfers. What is really preventing Bioware or EA from doing the same as Blizzard?

Edited by Falensawino

or stop citing those laws as an excuse, Blizzard and World of Warcraft comply with both systems of laws and offer cross-region transfers. What is really preventing Bioware or EA from doing the same as Blizzard?

per my understanding it is still not possible to transfer from EU to US in WoW a quick google search is showing posts as recent as 10 days ago that says otherwise.

Snerk.

-keeps laughing-

Even if it were true, which The above post shows isnt, do remember who we are dealing with here.

EA wont even let them have a decent budget to have the game run smoothly, and you expect them to spend money on the hoops to be jumped through and changes necessary to make intercontinental character transfers viable?

Your funny! :D

Edited by XiamaraSimi

Wrong.

You cannot move your chars from EU to US or US to EU because those are two difference game licenses. Those are two entirely independant systems and not connected to even process a character move between those two. Its literally impossible.

For similar reasons you cannot post in the US forum if you have an EU license and in the EU forum if you have an US license.

so I had this typed up right after DOHboy replied to me, here's what I was going to say.

per my understanding it is still not possible to transfer from EU to US in WoW a quick google search is showing posts as recent as 10 days ago that says otherwise.

I watched a twitch streamer transfer a character from a US server to UK server. She shut down the stream temporarily to hide the process so viewers couldn't see sensitive info, but when her stream came back up, she had a max level character and started raiding with the UK guild she was previously in ventrilo with. [now that I try to remember it, I can't even recall if it was a max level or if she even raided immediately after, it's been almost 2 years]

That was over a year ago, and it was a transfer between US and UK. I don't know if it's different for the rest of EU continental EU countries.

-------

I searched to verify my claims, if it was previously possible to transfer and if it was only a recent development that US/UK transfers weren't possible. I found this thread over at blizzard's forum, these posts say it's not possible but I still wasn't believing it based on the stream I watched.

No way to cross regions, no.

I can understand your confusion - but Oceanic is still part of the North American region. EU realms are totally separate.

You are welcome to play in EU of course, but you'll need to establish an EU license with it's own upgrades, etc. - and you would be starting over fresh.

Yes, that means establish a fresh license.

Now, nothing preventing you from continuing to play your current license. Latency may not be optimal, but you are allowed to play from anywhere in the world.

If you do decide to go with a fresh EU license, it will live quite happily on your current Battle.net account and co-exist, but it doesn't share the same cross-over capabilities of licenses within the same region.

As to future plans, excellent question, but one I have no answer for. Given the way WoW is setup, and the differences in laws, I find it doubtful - but I've learned never to say never around here :)

Before the stream shut off temporarily I do remember hearing discussion about licenses, or keys. I was still somewhat convinced she found a way, I saw her play on a UK server with a max level toon when the stream came back up.

-------

me, earlier this saturday

It wasn't until I found this topic on wowhead Saturday afternoon that I realized I was wrong. The following posts confirm it's never been possible.

The EU and US servers are operated entirely separate. It is not possible to transfer a character between the two at this time.

To my knowledge, you can't even play a character on an EU and US server. You'd have to buy an entirely new game to register it for EU servers.

Short answer. Like you have already gotten is No.

Why? Its not because they have two different servers, but its because they are 2 different companies. Blizzard NA and Blizzard EU run their financials completely differently, and because of this there is no cross transfer of assets. This was the answer given to me by multiple people at both NA customer support and EU customer support. So there is probably some truth to it.

Sorry, maybe something will change in the future, but right now its not possible.

Cheers,

Hat

It's not impossible to be done, from a programming technical stand point.

By impossible, I mean... Blizzard doesn't do it. This has been the case for years as they're completely separate entities.

I'll just admit I was wrong and should have looked it up before stating something with authority. I'm not going to bother a streamer over a broadcast that happened almost 2 years ago to ask how they got around the region licensing policy to save myself from losing an argument on the internet.

this is the authoritative statement that got me in trouble in this thread

My only evidence is what I thought I saw on stream, I was convinced it was possible but I admit I didn't know the details of what she actually went through to get a toon up on the UK server.

Sorry, yo

Edited by Falensawino

LB.

I want to have such opportunity too,maybe they can make it cost for 120 CC instead of 90 BUT WE MUST HAVE SUCH option. I made a mistake starting on USA because i didn't knew that i will have ping issues... now iam trapped :mon_tongue:on USA servers and it forces me to leave the game

I want to have such opportunity too,maybe they can make it cost for 120 CC instead of 90 BUT WE MUST HAVE SUCH option. I made a mistake starting on USA because i didn't knew that i will have ping issues... now iam trapped :mon_tongue:on USA servers and it forces me to leave the game

It's not a matter of cost. 120 cartel coins isn't going to change the laws making this not an option.