Why does everyone have to be a rip off artist?

ArkhaanPremiare

If you don't like the prices your choices are:

1. Do without and spend your money on something else.

2. wait for a seller like me that posts it for somewhat less than the normal high average (on a 7 million piece though my price won't be 50% of the going rate though --- more like 95% -97%.)

3. save your coins then buy it.

4. Make your own or go to wherever it drops and win the roll.

5. Buy it on the Cartel market.

It's a game, it's not the real stock market or commodities exchange. You don't really need it.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a red herring, it's the same principle. A Ferrari is just as much of a luxury item as pixel armor in a computer game is. If either one sells, as I said before, the price was, by definition, reasonable.

Ferrari's give you returns: they win races, they are much more fun to drive than most other cars, they impress chicks on Spring Break near the beech, kids go nuts - these things are all very tangible. People almost everywhere will want to start conversations with you about the car. If Ferraris only looked nice and didn't perform any better than Honda Civics but they still cost hundreds of thousands of $ you would only get laughed at for buying one. Empty orange pixel armor isn't one iota better than anything else and doesn't really impress anyone most of the time. Sure Ferraris and special armors in this game could both be called "luxury" items but that's where any semblance of a comparison ends.

Ferrari's give you returns: they win races, they are much more fun to drive than most other cars, they impress chicks on Spring Break near the beech, kids go nuts - these things are all very tangible.

Only one of those things is even remotely "tangible" (the race winning one, and any vehicle can "win races").

Sure Ferraris and special armors in this game could both be called "luxury" items but that's where any semblance of a comparison ends.

And that is the only area of concern in this discussion. As luxury items (along with yachts, personal helicopters, 50-room mansions with gold-plated bathroom fixtures, etc.) their respective prices are and should be whatever the market will bear.

Edited by branmakmuffin

Why pay 7 mil. credits for it? It's on a vendor in the Cartel Market, P-5C3, Binary Star Realty Vendor, price is 2 Cartel Market Certificates + 15,550cr and Friend standing with Binary Star Realty.

Are there any packs that still drop CMCs?

Is there any way to grind rep with BSR at this point?

If you can wait for it, you can wait for that one annoying guy (For the sellers) who posts the stuff for a couple mil cheaper cause reasons.

I love that guy.

I love even more the guy who sells multiple copies of an item by first seeing what the current lowest is, then selling one for a lot lower, and then decreasing the price of the other copies. So if someone is selling something for 900k, he'll go 750k then 700k then 660k and what not.

I love the previous guy because he's me! Doing my part to combat greed across the galaxy. And have fun watching people then have to price their stuff lower than me haha. :jawa_evil:

don't see any issues here. you want it? do something for it... if you don't want to do something for it, then you don't want it.

whenever i play any MMO and there is something i like and can't afford.. i go and do missions/quests or whatever until i can afford it.

and an item is worth wat someone is willing to pay. period. just look at the unstable saber... hell , i am still pissed that i did not get one out of 90 packs... people where paying abnormal prices and as a seller you have to profit from it. i would have never bought that saber for 59 million, but i can tell you that i would have sold it for that price. low drop rate... many people on an kylo ren trip, high demand, hell... as a seller you see only credit signs above your head. couldn't get any better. that's just how it works...

you can make millions of credits easily by running Heroic missions. It is so easy to acquire credits in the game you really don't have to work very hard to get whatever you desire in the game now.

That's exactly the problem...the OP is upset because he actually has to do something for more than 3 minutes to get this top.

Dramatic Extrovert

I'm sitting here thinking I'm doing good, 3.2 million credits in 2 days. Yet I find out I'm less than halfway there, never in my wildest nightmares did I think one top would cost that much. I'm not about to pay 7 million, they got me ****ed up. But it's the last piece I need, so I'm being patient and hoping I luck out with a better deal.

ah well on wrong server, sold mine for 450k last week.

I agree its not worth that millions . I was happy with my sale and am sure the buyer was as well. best just wait, cost of items changes dramatically over time. normally when the pack it was from is on offer again or a new c-pack giving the same item comes out. What players sell there stuff for though is up to them. these threads are pointless as it will have zero in-pact on the sellers. you either buy or don't. you have no other say in the matter.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

While I wouldn't pay that much for a top, it's not a rip off to ask that much for it. I think some people forget that the ability to earn is limited only by the time you have and/or are willing to invest. You can still make a million credits an hour on Yavin 4 with slicing so 7 million is not all that difficult. Personally, I'd be rolling in credits if I didn't waste them all on buying packs on the GTN.

OP wants a top. OP doesn't like the price. OP comes to whine about it and immediately calls everyone a "rip off artist". OP then goes after people selling for 1-credit less when the whole point is just to get your item listed first and to make as much as you can.

Conclusion: OP has no clue how player-driven economies work, or economies in-general, and is just mad cuz they can't afford a top they want while bad-mouthing those that have the means to obtain and sell them.

Sadly, we've seen this all before, but happily, they don't change the system and keep it the way it is.

Actually, I think the conclusion is: You are one of those people who sells a top for crazy high prices and doesn't realize that there is no economy in a make believe sci-fi universe. Boardwalk has more of an economy than this game does because this game has no imposed economic standard. All economies are imposed in one fashion or another. People don't drive economies, economies drive people. I don't seem to recall when we got a say in things such as sales tax, property taxes, loan percentages, credit renumeration, wages, or the effects of price gouging.

Mind you, I don't disagree that a person should be allowed to sell something for any price under the sun. I have a lot more respect for the person who has the highest price than the total ******** who sells it for one credit less like anyone's that stupid not to notice. I would sooner pay the extra credit for the item than give that jerk off the satisfaction of getting a sale because they sold it for one credit less.

They don't change the system because there is no system.

You don't like people venting their frustration over any single thing that they have an issue with? Move to North Korea.

OP can bad mouth whoever the hell they like.

To OP - While I can sympathize with the annoyance of ridiculously high price items, I don't think it makes a person a rip-off artist to sell it at such considering the fact that they paid real life monies to obtain the item. Paying twenty, thirty or fifty dollars for enough CCs to buy a virtual outfit, now that's a rip off! =p

Earning credits takes time but even high price items are obtainable if your willing to take the time to earn the credits in game. Might take a while to save up 10-20 million credits, but it is possible. Better fake money than real money heh

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

I get a huge rush whenever I get an item that I've been wanting but the key is to "not shop for groceries when you're hungry", which is exactly what OP and others do. They *want* something nownownow and then get upset when they can't afford it nownownow when, with a little patience, things usually work out.

Also, keep a spreadsheet or Word document to track the items you want. Check every day or every other day and you'll be amazed at how things fluctuate.

Here is an example of something I just purchased today:

Jarael's Boots (still need gloves and belt to complete the set)

*checking almost every day

Check 1 - 2.25m

Check 2 - 2m

Check 3 - 1.5m

Check 4 - 1m

Check 5 - n/a

Check 6 - n/a

Check 7 - 999,999

Check 8 - 1m

Check 9 - 1.9m

Check 10 - 1.8m

Check 11 - 1.1m

Check 12 - 975,000

Check 13 - 666,000

Check 14 - 666,000

Check 15 - 900,000

Check 16 - n/a

Check 17 - 1.2m

Check 18 - 1.1m

Check 19 - 890,000

Check 20 - 880,000

Check 21 - 880,000

Check 22 - 800,000

Check 23 - 2m

Check 24 - 200,000 (purchased today)

I was going to buy at 800,000 but held off, then it spiked, then BOOM got it for 200,000. Was it a typo? Maybe, but that doesn't matter, and if it was a typo did I *scam* the inattentive seller? Of course not, apparently only inattentive buyers get scammed, right?

I actually got TWO pairs for 200,000 each so I could sell the other. So, it took me around 3 weeks to finally get the item and I feel great, not just cuz of the great price, but the fact that a little effort went a long way.

The bottom line is that patience seems to be quickly disappearing cuz people can't be bothered to wait for anything. Just... step back for a minute, do a little research and take a little time, not everything needs to be nownownow.

This also shows how they should *never* set any kind of cap price on *any* items cuz the players will determine if and when something sells or not.

Edited by PetFish

I get a huge rush whenever I get an item that I've been wanting but the key is to "not shop for groceries when you're hungry", which is exactly what OP and others do. They *want* something nownownow and then get upset when they can't afford it nownownow when, with a little patience, things usually work out.

Also, keep a spreadsheet or Word document to track the items you want. Check every day or every other day and you'll be amazed at how things fluctuate.

Here is an example of something I just purchased today:

Jarael's Boots (still need gloves and belt to complete the set)

*checking almost every day

Check 1 - 2.25m

Check 2 - 2m

Check 3 - 1.5m

Check 4 - 1m

Check 5 - n/a

Check 6 - n/a

Check 7 - 999,999

Check 8 - 1m

Check 9 - 1.9m

Check 10 - 1.8m

Check 11 - 1.1m

Check 12 - 975,000

Check 13 - 666,000

Check 14 - 666,000

Check 15 - 900,000

Check 16 - n/a

Check 17 - 1.2m

Check 18 - 1.1m

Check 19 - 890,000

Check 20 - 880,000

Check 21 - 880,000

Check 22 - 800,000

Check 23 - 2m

Check 24 - 200,000 (purchased today)

I was going to buy at 800,000 but held off, then it spiked, then BOOM got it for 200,000. Was it a typo? Maybe, but that doesn't matter, and if it was a typo did I *scam* the inattentive seller? Of course not, apparently only inattentive buyers get scammed, right?

I actually got TWO pairs for 200,000 each so I could sell the other. So, it took me around 3 weeks to finally get the item and I feel great, not just cuz of the great price, but the fact that a little effort went a long way.

The bottom line is that patience seems to be quickly disappearing cuz people can't be bothered to wait for anything. Just... step back for a minute, do a little research and take a little time, not everything needs to be nownownow.

This also shows how they should *never* set any kind of cap price on *any* items cuz the players will determine if and when something sells or not.

I do agree with you here. It is something that can be done but may require patience for the time and effort to save up the necessary credits. I've done the same thing as you site above. Find an item you really want, than you have to grind, craft, or Operation in order to earn the required monies. It isn't always fun, but, it's a question of whether you really want an item or not. The effort put forth [like you mentioned], once you save it up and get the item, it can be very fulfilling. Besides, it shouldn't be easy to get very rare items, that they are hard to get is what makes them rare and so sought after.

I didn't mean to imply that I thought it should be easy, I apologize if my response was a bit heated.

Nownownownow is for babies.

Why is Ferrari charging so much for a car , people cant be possibly buying that junk!

Because people with lots of money need to have something to horde over those who don't.

That's why there are some nice looking sports cars out there that people would love to have, even with weaker engines, but they keep giving you the boxes. :p

The cycle is always the same.

Somebody offers something that wasn't in the GTN before so they try thier luck and price it with millions credit tag

People who get there later to offer thier stuff will make it cheaper.

And the price drop moves on and on with each expire because when the first guy's trade expires he goes back and makes it even cheaper than the last guy who offered the same item.

Setting up the prices high is actualy a good thing because it usualy guarantees that the price of the item won't drop from 7 mils to 20k in just one day or so. It gives a fair chance to everyone to sell thier item for the price they desire.

Then there is the supply & Demand

big supply = cheap price range 5k, 10k, 25k, 50k, 100k

bid demand = Expensive "f2p and preffered hav no chance" range 500 000,1 000 000, 10 000 000, 25 000 000, 45 000 000

Ugh. Is there a way to make money in this game that doesn't require me to spend all my free time grinding for hardly any money? I mean other than having to spend real money. I barely made over a million today through these damn weekly missions.

Currency in MMOs is generally time-based. Which means you have to put in the hours, by design. After a certain time, you may have accumulated a sufficient amount of currency to allow you to make money by playing the market, but this is even slower and also riskier if you bet on the wrong items. In this game you also have the choice to turn real-world money into fake game currency, more or less at a fixed rate. You don't like that either? Then maybe MMOs aren't for you.

If there was an easier/faster way to make money, the piece you want wouldn't be 7 mil, it would be 70 or 700 mil. If it's easier for you, it's easier for everyone.

Edited by Unperson

Ugh. Is there a way to make money in this game that doesn't require me to spend all my free time grinding for hardly any money? I mean other than having to spend real money. I barely made over a million today through these damn weekly missions.

MMOs are about spending time so if you don't want to spend a lot of time in game, then this definitely will put you at odds with the game.

What makes money quite easily is doing the heroic quests with a group of 4 players that are level 65. It takes just 30 mins or so at most for any given planet to do them and the bonuses and because of the bonuses that pay you out for each person in your group who completes it you walk away with hundreds of thousands of credits per planet. Some planets go quicker even, so in a couple of hours you can literally make millions.

Edited by Tsillah

MMOs are about spending time so if you don't want to spend a lot of time in game, then this definitely will put you at odds with the game.

What makes money quite easily is doing the heroic quests with a group of 4 players that are level 65. It takes just 30 mins or so at most for any given planet to do them and the bonuses and because of the bonuses that pay you out for each person in your group who completes it you walk away with hundreds of thousands of credits per planet. Some planets go quicker even, so in a couple of hours you can literally make millions.

Very much this, if it's credits you are after, do what a lot do, team up with people to do the weekly heroics, for the max amount.

I do each reset with friends, and you can literally make millions each reset, easy credits