The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bioware just got MASSIVELY called out on the new Cartel Packs... by Massively

DustyDemonNinja

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ROFL

You have to read some hacks opinion and believe to be fact in order to be a true online gamer?

Well, to be fair, I don't waste ... er ... invest ... my time scouring the internet for second-hand websites discussing MMOs, yet I've heard of Massively. They seem to get (or got?) official mention on the LOTRO site a few times. Never heard of this particular blogger though. Also, the blogger is full of poo.

No I think anyone that spends any decent amount of time playing MMOs and doesnt eat glue for a living would know about it.

I spend enough time playing MMO and don't eat glue; there goes your theory. I also have more than two brain cells to realize that the post is written but a **** hurt player who didn't get the shiny item s/he wanted and so s/he wrote a QQ blog about it. Maybe people with less than two brain cell reads that dribble and considers it fact.

Well, to be fair, I don't waste ... er ... invest ... my time scouring the internet for second-hand websites discussing MMOs, yet I've heard of Massively. They seem to get (or got?) official mention on the LOTRO site a few times. Never heard of this particular blogger though. Also, the blogger is full of poo.

I find funny how people take someone else opinion that they agree with as news/media/whatever you want to call it. Instead of what it truly is; an opinion. I've read some well written reviews and I've read complete garbage ones like this one. Calling this steaming pile of **** anything close to fact is sad. Reminds me of a discussion in Eng Comp 2 what is creditable source when it comes from the internet. How people will use anything that aligns with their belief as creditable source.

Edited by Warrgames

I find funny how people take someone else opinion that they agree with as news/media/whatever you want to call it. Instead of what it truly is; an opinion. I've read some well written reviews and I've read complete garbage ones like this one. Calling this steaming pile of **** anything close to fact is sad. Reminds me of a discussion in Eng Comp 2 what is creditable source when it comes from the internet. How people will use anything that aligns with their belief as creditable source.

Like the Bible?

I subbed to SWG, didn't buy their Trading Card Game packs as spending money on non essential stuff to play the game is folly. As soon as the game closes, you've lost all that extra money.

I sub to SWTOR as it enables me to play all parts of the game without restriction. The Cartel Market is just another variation on your football sticker packs from Panini. There were no guarantees of foils or any other special items if you bought X amount of packs. At least with the stickers you had a completed album at the end. In the virtual world it is all gone when the servers go.

If you can afford to effectively throw that money down the drain by purchasing cosmetic filled packs then don't complain. If you can't afford to lose on the packs, you shouldn't be buying them in the first place.

Use restraint people, if you don't like the odds, don't buy. It's simple. I find it incredible that people will buy two hypercrates, get diddly, then buy several more in the hope the drop rate will change. Duhhhhh.

Larry Everett is a well known and respected SWTOR player, and a long time member of the MassivelyOP staff, all the way back to when it was part of Engadget. He has also been a well known advocate for SWTOR. He has been running informational content, or has been involved in reporting on SWTOR for years.

One can reject any opinion he presents. I don't always agree with his assessments, but to label him a "hack" is ludicrous.

If one has to deride the person posting the article instead of its content, perhaps there is more to the opinion than that person is willing to admit.

Edited by LordArtemis

Larry Everett is a well known and respected SWTOR player, and a long time member of the MassivelyOP staff, all the way back to when it was part of Engadget. He has also been a well known advocate for SWTOR. He has been running informational content, or has been involved in reporting on SWTOR for years.

One can reject any opinion he presents. I don't always agree with his assessments, but to label him a "hack" is ludicrous.

If one has to deride the person posting the article instead of its content, perhaps there is more to the opinion than that person is willing to admit.

You expected any different here?

This is the place where one can expect to see multiple examples of the ad hom fallacy within the first page of any thread expressing any actual opinion. Don't like levelsync -- "QQ more about not being able to solo worldboss or faceroll the game". Not enraged by the latest supposed exploit -- "You must be an exploiter, enjoy your ban, lol". Concerned about lack of new Ops content -- "****, game is for story, elitist pig". Etc.

Let me guess, it's your blog? Because quite frankly, I've been playing online games since the 1990s and I'd never heard of it.

You have never heard of Massively? Fair enough, but I think quite a few people have. It is not exactly an obscure site. It was once part of Engadget.

Or, are you speaking directly to the SWTOR column?

Edited by LordArtemis

You have never heard of Massively? Fair enough, but I think quite a few people have. It is not exactly an obscure site. It was once part of Engadget.

Or, are you speaking directly to the SWTOR column?

I'd never heard of the site, at all. Engadget either, for that matter, until this thread.

First of all there are quite a few posts here regarding the content of this blog entry and what to think of it. I will not repeat it.

Secondly you judge all who post their own opinion on this blog based on one person calling the blogger a "hack? To quote you: perhaps there is more to the opinion than that person is willing to admit.

And last but not least the allgedly well know and respected SWTOR player has the audacity to speak on behalf of the community which is just not true. It is his opinion. And only his opinion. If he wants to write it down he is welcome to do so. But then in his own name. There may be some who agree with him but seeing from this thread alone there are also a lot of people who strongly disagree.

I'd never heard of the site, at all. Engadget either, for that matter, until this thread.

Fair enough on both points. Larry isn't Pewdiepie after all, and Engadget is not exactly the top site on the net.

But I assure you, it is one of the better known gaming sites.

What sites are you familiar with? I prefer Kinja/Kotaku myself.

Edited by LordArtemis

First of all there are quite a few posts here regarding the content of this blog entry and what to think of it. I will not repeat it.

Of course. My post is not directed at those kind of posts naturally.

Secondly you judge all who post their own opinion on this blog based on one person calling the blogger a "hack? To quote you: perhaps there is more to the opinion than that person is willing to admit.

You are mistaken. My post clearly directs derision at those that judge the person, not the merits of the article itself. The post I made was very clear on that point.

And last but not least the allgedly well know and respected SWTOR player has the audacity to speak on behalf of the community which is just not true. It is his opinion. And only his opinion. If he wants to write it down he is welcome to do so. But then in his own name. There may be some who agree with him but seeing from this thread alone there are also a lot of people who strongly disagree.

Allegedly? That is a silly notion at best. And I don't feel like that article was a mouthpiece, more like a soapbox.

The only comment I found that even comes close to that accusation would be as follows....

Hopefully, you can see the players’ perspective on these items. Hopefully you can see my perspective here. And I hope, most of all, that you do something about it before the frustration of even your most adoring fans becomes resentment.

...and he clearly states "MY PERSPECTIVE" for clarification.

I think you are demonstrating a fear of his opinions impact and influence here more than perhaps a concern about its content.

Fair enough on both points. Larry isn't Pewdiepie after all, and Engadget is not exactly the top site on the net.

But I assure you, it is one of the better known gaming sites.

What sites are you familiar with? I prefer Kinja/Kotaku myself.

Initially, I had one site: Ironworks Gaming. It was full of gamers, playing games that I was playing, or looking at playing, and I never had to look anywhere else for advice or tips on what not to buy. I've been registered there for, er, never mind, too long to discuss...

First off I don't like chance cubes and not going to buy any packs till they are removed. I would like the packs to go back to the way they were pre 4.0.

You make it sound like he actually writes things worth reading but that post is more drillable that you would see from a player that didn't get what they want and going into a hissy fit over it.

Every since packs have been released there has been high demand items in them that tend remain high on GTN because a lot of players want them; Revan Armor, White crystals, Rancor mount when first released and Nexu companion. Not every pack has high desire items that a lot of players want. Every so often BW release an item in these packs that a lot players wants and price remains high on the GTN. This pack is no different. The only difference in this pack and pre 4.0 packs is it more aim for new players; not vet players that already have items from old packs. You stand a better chance of getting old pack items than new pack items. Which is something that I dislike. As far as I can see by watching prices on these items on GTN they seem to follow pattern with ever other pack. Even the saber is following that of other high demand items. Credits are so easily made now with very few credit sinks in the game; the game has bad case of inflation. You may not think his a hack but from what I read he is nothing more than a **** hurt hack that is mad because he can't play dress up with online Barbie doll.

Edited by Warrgames

Initially, I had one site: Ironworks Gaming. It was full of gamers, playing games that I was playing, or looking at playing, and I never had to look anywhere else for advice or tips on what not to buy. I've been registered there for, er, never mind, too long to discuss...

I remember Ironworks :)

Damn Scots! They've ruined Scotland!

I wish I could like this post, because I can't help but think it's a TV Tropes reference.

Also, another one for "has been gaming for years, but hasn't heard of Massively until now". The gaming sites I'm familiar with are The Escapist (which is pretty much tabloid journalism for gaming, but still good for mindless laughs), Giant Bomb (which I recommend, as those in charge of that site manage to be informative while not pretending to be anything more than they are), and Screw Attack (haven't been there for years). Oh, and Kotaku, which I tend to throw into the same boat as The Escapist.

You make it sound like he actually writes things worth reading but that post is more drillable that you would see from a player that didn't get what they want and going into a hissy fit over it.

My post may sound that way to you, but I would argue instead that it actually simply states the facts of the matter and my opinion with respect to insulting the author instead of the content.

That does not mean you are wrong. Saying he writes nothing worth reading is a perfectly valid point of view. Saying I am suggesting otherwise is NOT IMO.

I am suggesting nothing of the sort.