I've figured out how to make money from Slicing!

Vicid

So it turns out that when you're out questing there's lock boxes and computers all over the place and only Slicers can open them!

There're full of credit boxes! In five min in Outlaw's den I made 10k Credits on my level 26 toon!

WOW!

So it turns out that when you're out questing there's lock boxes and computers all over the place and only Slicers can open them!

There're full of credit boxes! In five min in Outlaw's den I made 10k Credits on my level 26 toon!

WOW!

You just found this out? ;)

WOW!

Yep, but now slicing lockboxes loses money. No one will do them.

They might as well have removed content from the game.

Yep, but now slicing lockboxes loses money. No one will do them.

They might as well have removed content from the game.

Two problems here. First, you could always lose money from slicing mission lockboxes. You can also make money from slicing mission lockboxes. That hasn't changed even with the nerf.

Second, your suggestion is stupid when you consider the above facts.

The state slicing is currently in is directly due to people on both sides of the argument not being honest.

Edited by Apax

Two problems here. First, you could always lose money from slicing lockboxes. You can also make money from slicing lockboxes. That hasn't changed even with the nerf.

Second, your suggestion is stupid when you consider the above facts.

Actually, you look like the stupid one.

Yes you could lose money before, but in a case of 10/10 missions, you'd always come out ahead in the end.

Now you actually come out behind, usually by a large margin.

So doing the missions for lock boxes should almost just be taken out because its currently useless.

Credit return from missions has always been far less profitable than from the lockboxes you find throughout the world. As far as I can tell, the world boxes haven't been nerfed at all, so there is still plenty of room for profit. While I will admit gaining nothing (often losing) 70% of the time on missions was too much, they didn't nerf the part of slicing that netted the easiest profit.

The main thing this nerf hurts is sending your companions on missions, logging in your other character and coming back to queue up new missions every 30 minutes or so.

I'm hoping most people will just drop slicing so that the cargo full of missions I have for various crew skills can be sold for a decent price.

Honestly the crew skill design was never very good, at least the mission part wasn't. They should leave the world credit boxes, but change the lockbox missions to something else entirely to go along with the augments (which are not worthless at higher levels). Maybe make the mission drops (blue quality) much more frequent and leave the purple quality ones as the crits.

Edited by Myze

Man, call me crazy, or blindly lucky, or what, but after fifteen missions post-nerf, I have made a profit on each and every one. Three crit, twelve normal results, lowest profit was 200 credits for a six minute mission, highest was a 6000 credit on a crit for a half hour mission.

Maybe that's just variance, but all this crying about this nerf... I'm not seeing it.

P.S. world spawn slicing nodes still exist, they are still free, and they still give a good amount of credits for three seconds of your time. Don't like missions, don't do missions, you can still make good money with slicing.

You've been lucky then. After running through eight slicing missions of 15-25 minutes each I ended up with a grand profit of...272 credits. Slicing is basically about grabbing the boxes on worlds now and sending minions out on the missions isn't even worth doing.

WOW!

So it turns out that when you're out questing there's nodes for other crafts all over the place and only those with the right skill trained can gather them!

They can make items out of them or sell them on the GTN for credits!

WOW!

This nerf only makes sense with an INCREASED drop rate of the ONLY other thing Slicing produces...schematics, which they did not do.

Why would I keep slicing and only get about 15k from ***20*** slicing nodes when I can take ANY OTHER gathering skill and make 2x that amount from ***5*** nodes of the same level?

Thats right. I have both scavenging and slicing, taping 5 grade 3 scavenging nodes net me over 20k by selling what I gathered on the GTN, it took 20 slicing nodes to make the same amount and not one of those 20 lockboxes contained a single item or schematic.

The credit decrease should have been ofset by a higher chance at getting an item...and slicing still cannot be used to produce anything but money unlike the resources from the other gathering nodes.

Its purpose is to make money. and now it does not produce NEAR what every other gathering skill can.

As someone who has made most of my money from slicing so far, did all of you pretending it didn't need some nerfing honestly not expect it to just become mandatory for people to fill their character slots with level 15/16 'alts' cycling companions out to slice all day for massive amounts of profit?

I've been running slicing missions all day, and the missions have still proven profitable overall - just not so great anymore. I don't see how anyone not keeping 6+ companions overall slicing all the time could compete with those of us who were. Massive inflation two months from now (when the whole player base was doing it) would have been massive.

Yes you could lose money before, but in a case of 10/10 missions, you'd always come out ahead in the end.

So doing the missions for lock boxes should almost just be taken out because its currently useless.

I sliced for 2 hours today and came out 10K ahead.. granted before I would come out 30 ahead, its still very far from useless considering i also found about 5 crafting missions that will most likly net me another 8K.

No need to lie becuase the free gravy got pulled off the table.

Edited by Voradoor

That's odd. I've had my character sitting here sending out a crew member on slicing missions for the past few hours while I do other things (like catch up on the forums, for one). Overall I've made a profit in that time. Not nearly as much as I would have pre-nerf, but still a profit all the same.

Going by your theory, I should have "come out behind, usually by a large margin".

So, who is looking stupid, exactly? Just FYI, you can avoid that by not posting bogus statements.

Edited by Apax

I sliced for 2 hours today and came out 10K ahead.. granted before I would come out 30 ahead, its still very far from useless considering i also found about 5 crafting missions that will most likly net me another 8K.

No need to lie becuase the free gravy got pulled off the table.

So you made 10K credits in 2 hours and think nothing is wrong?

Now go talk to someone that spent 2 hours doing the other skills missions and ask them how much they made selling everything they got in that long time frame.

1 SINGLE grade 3 mission in Investigation for compounds can net that much with just one single find of 2 grade 3 purple compounds. Its the same with a grade 3 Diplomacy medical missions...those things normally yield 2-4 blues and 2 purples, gemstones finds will land 6-8k credits.

2 missions from other skills = more than your 2 hours of slicing missions. Thanks!

Edited by gregordunbar

10k in five mins? That sounds like balogna, but if true then it must be a titanic leap from my level (15) to yours. The last lockbox I picked up had 21 credits in it. So now apparently there's a garden of lockboxes somewhere, that nobody competes for, with hundreds of credits in each? I'm not calling you a liar, in fact I hope you are right, but you have to admit it seems like an exaggeration, to say the least.

...or did I just get trolled?

Man, call me crazy, or blindly lucky, or what, but after fifteen missions post-nerf, I have made a profit on each and every one. Three crit, twelve normal results, lowest profit was 200 credits for a six minute mission, highest was a 6000 credit on a crit for a half hour mission.

Maybe that's just variance, but all this crying about this nerf... I'm not seeing it.

P.S. world spawn slicing nodes still exist, they are still free, and they still give a good amount of credits for three seconds of your time. Don't like missions, don't do missions, you can still make good money with slicing.

YAY! This Stats professor loves it when people use this word right.

On another note, I've noticed I was making a 100%-150% profit before, now I'm making about a 50% profit on average (SD ~ 15%) still a profit.

Now go talk to someone that spent 2 hours doing the other skills missions and ask them how much they made selling everything they got in that long time frame.

1 SINGLE grade 3 mission in Investigation for compounds can net that much with just one single find of 2 grade 3 purple compounds. Its the same with a grade 3 Diplomacy gemstone missions...those things normally yield 2-4 blues and 2 purple gemstones that will land 6-8k credits.

2 missions from other skills = more than your 2 hours of slicing missions. Thanks!

Why are you comparing this to other more involved skills when slicing literally requires you to press two (?) buttons once every 10-20 minutes. You don't even have to pay attention to the game for a majority of that time. How much money does someone have to make in-game while doing non-game related activities before you're willing to call it a good trade off for the time invested?

Fill in the blank for us:

"I spent five seconds pressing two buttons before returning to my internet browsing for fifteen minutes, and unless I'm making ____________ credits each time I perform that activity it is simply underpowered."

Edited by Apax

1 SINGLE grade 3 mission in Investigation for compounds can net that much with just one single find of 2 grade 3 purple compounds. Its the same with a grade 3 Diplomacy medical missions...those things normally yield 2-4 blues and 2 purples, gemstones finds will land 6-8k credits.

yes but the other ones require over head in time. slicing is free money you never even go to the AH.

its apples and oranges man, slicing can net purples too.

Hell one time I got a 340 purple slicing mission from slicing.. it net me 40K profit once it was all said and done.

I have two toons 26/23 and net credits between the two is 900K.. that doesnt factor in the fact that I have MAXED cybertech on one and sythweaving on another (only god knows how much I sank into theese to max them).

You saying that didnt need nerfing?

oh and even better only one of the toons has slicing.. he funds my alt 100%

Edited by Voradoor