The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Root Of All Toxic Players ( Personal opinion )

xdirengrey

This is just something that I have personally witnessed and my own opinion.

Seems most players who play DPS are usually the toxic players. Most players want to DPS which im sure that is MMO wide not just for Swtor. But in operations I have time and time again witness Dps players calling out tanks and healers for numerous and petty things. All while verbally abusing the players. It's not hard to smash monkey your keyboard as dps, but when you have instances where a healer has to panic heal certain players because they're either new or they don't have the proper gear, 9 times out of 10 its a dps player.

I have queued for flashpoints and ops, and going in as dps it takes 30 mins + to pop a queue, the moment i switch to heal or tank the queue timer pops instantly.

And what do you know, the team is filled with dps, all who are waiting very patiently to verbally abuse me as I enter the flashpoint as a healer or tank, they themselves have nothing to worry about, but now I do, I have to focus on 3 other people not dying while they have to worry about smash monkeying their keyboards. I know I cant be the only one to see this.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm, I wouldn't say the root is the class, it's just the people. They're angry and pathetic and should be ignored. I remember pugging Manaan, two dps, one healer and one very **** tank. The tank was terrible, couldn't hold aggro and stood in the stupid. The healer simply couldn't heal over the large amounts of damage he was receiving from both the enemies and the stupid he was sitting in. Nor was he using his defensive abilities. Did he blame himself? No. He blamed the healer and sprouted out crap constantly until we just went 'screw it' and booted him.

Bad players are toxic players. Bad people are toxic.

Seems most players who play DPS are usually the toxic players. Most players want to DPS which im sure that is MMO wide not just for Swtor. But in operations I have time and time again witness Dps players calling out tanks and healers for numerous and petty things. All while verbally abusing the players. It's not hard to smash monkey your keyboard as dps, but when you have instances where a healer has to panic heal certain players because they're either new or they don't have the proper gear, 9 times out of 10 its a dps player.

I have queued for flashpoints and ops, and going in as dps it takes 30 mins + to pop a queue, the moment i switch to heal or tank the queue timer pops instantly.

And what do you know, the team is filled with dps, all who are waiting very patiently to verbally abuse me as I enter the flashpoint as a healer or tank, they themselves have nothing to worry about, but now I do, I have to focus on 3 other people not dying while they have to worry about smash monkeying their keyboards. I know I cant be the only one to see this.

I'm tempted to agree.

We're officially in the slippery realm of "all to often= all the time" vs "all to often= shut up, nothing to see here, happens elsewhere too".

You can be a perfectly good team player and a veteran player and play dps.

Much harder to take the mantle of tank or healer.

As a trend, many more beginners and/or teens will chose dps especially sentinel/marauder, because, two sabers.

In ops or HM stuff your participation as a dps tends to be more volumetric - volume of damage, whereas a tank's or a healer's are absolutely pivotal and leave no room for mistakes. If you want to be carried you might get away with it as a dps, never as a tank nor as a healer.

Edited by BenduKundalini

the dps player pool is so large that statically you'll probably come across more just genuinely toxic people that happen to be playing that type (and tbh i think all classes have their positive and negative traits when it comes to personality)

saying that, i know exactly the type of player you're talking about and i'm happier blocking out the memories of my time as a healer. a friendly dps respects a friendly healer & a friendly tank and should know that they're just the sweet jam in between the tanky crunchy peanut butter and healy soft bread.*

*i haven't had my dinner yet and i'm so hungry oh my god.

Edited by apostates

Seems most players who play DPS are usually the toxic players.

I'm playing the cynic here and say : More DPS = more aggression ?

I don't know. Unfortunately, this game doesn't support any other roles than the Trinity - if you look at what the Rogue in DDO can do, now THAT'S a thing this old-looking game has over SWTOR !

In my opinion, toxic players are mopstly Dark Triad people.

Like narcisstic people, who get good feelings by making other people feel bad.

But that's just my opinion.

So you're saying (1) group content, and the (2) mmo trinity of assigned combat roles is the root of all toxic behavior.

or you know, the root of it, is that we\re human and it's in human nature to be fallible.

Edited by Falensawino

Welcome to life as a healer in any game, here is your training video:

Absolutely hilarious and so true.

In this game, I only DPS simply because I'm not 100% knowledgeable on all classes nor FPs/Ops and their mechanics so I don't feel comfortable taking on a healers/tanks responsibility. I may in the future. If I die, my first thought is always "well I guess I stood in bad, oh well". If it keeps happening in the same way and through trial and error I realize it's no fault of my own, I'll speak up to the healer/tank but always calmly and respectable.

The problem in my eyes is not necessarily that DPS are more toxic than healers/tanks but there's just far far more DPS'ers vs. healers and tanks which naturally makes it seem like the DPS'ers are rudest. I've seen plenty of arrogant and toxic DPS'ers but I've seen the same in healers and tanks really. Tanks who genuinely don't give 2 shytes about being a tank and instead just roflstomp their keyboard and lol at you if you died because they didn't hold aggro, then leave the instance because it somehow means YOU are bad. Healers who after 3 wipes go "fine guess you scrubs are so bad that I actually have to heal instead of DPS".. I mean, duh? Isn't that what you signed up for? It's quite a general problem really, the DPS'ers just stand out more because there's more of them.

Sad but true, which is why so many of us no longer wants to do these group content. Or even wish to try it out in the first place.

For the players who are not like this, hats off to you for continuing.

I agree with the people who say there are just more dps than heals or tank, so naturally the majority of the players you see who are jerks will be dps. That being said, I've actually found that percentage-wise, it's usually tanks who have the biggest... ego shall we say, followed by dps, followed by healers. But especially if you run tactiacal fps, ya it'll almost always be a dps who is the one with the attitude problem, because most people in the group are probably going to be dps.

Also, as a side note to the people who play dps because they don't feel comfortable knowing mechanics and whatnot, switch to heals :) It's actually a much better place to learn fights than dps, as usually you need to care even less about mechanics than dps do (you just keep everyone alive no matter what's going on, dps actually do need to kill things in the right order, etc.).

Most people in the game play a DPS class. It's not that DPS players are 'more toxic'. Heck most aren't even a minor branch of evil in MMOs let alone the root of it.

The only way to fix 'bad DPS' is to encourage them to play a tank or a healer. A few rounds of struggling to keep agro, run rotations, while being told "U suck! Y U no taunt?!" normally cures most people of jerk behavior.

Trouble is OP you aren't playing with the right group. Many raiders I know play Healer, Tank, and DPS classes (their main being chosen by what is needed for the raid). Playing one of each of the Trinity means a better understanding of the classes and their limits which comes especially in handy raiding.

Now mind you I admittedly stepped out of the raiding scene a year ago, and with long time raiders leaving this game due to lack of raid content, you might just be tripping over the dregs who simply haven't learned better.

You really can't blame DPS - their job is to jump in and aggro the whole room, then let the tank burn out trying to grab the aggro back, while the healers job is to burn out keeping the DPS alive so the tank ends up dying. It's not an easy job, and they have every right to complain.

As a DPS I don't worry about heals. I just worry about dealing damage. I am courteous of the members of my group and thank them for the group each and every time. That being said, I have on more than one occasion witnessed a tank or healer with an elitist attitude. Does it bother me? Sure but I just keep dealing damage and say farewell at the end. I don't expect to get healed in a group, but I do know my place. I prefer DPS because that is what I am good at. I hate tanking and healing because I am not good at it and quite frankly it bores me. So that's why I like DPS. Not all of us are rude, insensitive morons.